2024 Draft Day 2 Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Boo

Let Gute Cook
37%
#DeJeanNoMatterWhat
11%
Ted hates playmakerz
11%
We making 4 picks today.
42%

Total votes: 19

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gunzaan wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:43
YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:31
I'll calm down, but there are very very very few men in the world who can be the highly instinctive, versatile chess piece I wanted in the defensive secondary and we've gone from two options to one. No single pick needs to be any single position. But there's a checklist of things you want from an overall draft class and we're getting close to missing out on one big item on my checklist when we came SO so close to it.

And having a team trade right in front of you to take everyone's favorite fit is always going to be frustrating, Don't act like it's weird to have an emotional disappointment reaction to missing on a draft favorite by one pick on a trade up. That's universally tough to watch as a fan. Don't shame the emotional rawness. This is not the second quarter of an individual game, It's a 4 year contract. It's an emotional time.
You’re just getting a taste of the smug attitude that can run rampant around these parts.
I’ve said it for years, lotta guys own stock in team (I do), but alot of the guys that own stock and also live in GB or wisconsin start to think they actually own the team lol. They feel like they are in the family and part of the org. So they have to lineup and defend the org anytime people have emotion or are critical. It’s funny once you recognize how the syndrome works, you can predict it’s coming and from who! Lol
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:41
Interesting.

Based on the Rich Hill trade chart, the Packers traded a pick worth 146 points for three picks worth 146 points.

Based on the Jimmy Johnson trade chart the Packers traded a pick worth 490 points for three picks worth 489.6 points.

That's what you call balance.
Oh, I was wondering what ya called getting nothing for something :rotf:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Don’t know what I missed here, but we maybe missed a guy we liked. If DeJean was there we still could have the exact same outcome. We just don’t know. No problem with the process the brass went through even though I would have moved up for the board fave.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Gunzaan wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
I'll calm down, but there are very very very few men in the world who can be the highly instinctive, versatile chess piece I wanted in the defensive secondary and we've gone from two options to one. No single pick needs to be any single position. But there's a checklist of things you want from an overall draft class and we're getting close to missing out on one big item on my checklist when we came SO so close to it.

And having a team trade right in front of you to take everyone's favorite fit is always going to be frustrating, Don't act like it's weird to have an emotional disappointment reaction to missing on a draft favorite by one pick on a trade up. That's universally tough to watch as a fan. Don't shame the emotional rawness. This is not the second quarter of an individual game, It's a 4 year contract. It's an emotional time.
You’re just getting a taste of the smug attitude that can run rampant around these parts.
I think it’s more a matter of knowing I don’t know what the Packers know. I also accept that there is more than one player out there, be it draft or FA, to fill a need.

Sure, I get the emotional component but I still get a kick out of some of the over-the-top reactions because the Packers did/didn’t get a certain player. Its all good, though.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

Just my two cents here: getting a player in the first or second round is no guarantee of filling a team need. Far from it.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:47
Gunzaan wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

I’ve said it for years, lotta guys own stock in team (I do), but alot of the guys that own stock and also live in GB or wisconsin start to think they actually own the team lol. They feel like they are in the family and part of the org. So they have to lineup and defend the org anytime people have emotion or are critical. It’s funny once you recognize how the syndrome works, you can predict it’s coming and from who! Lol
As opposed to forum posters who think they know better than the Packers over player acquisitions. :aok:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Guys bear in mind that, like, having an emotional response to a course of events is not sober, sound analytical evaluation of what's happening right now.

I'm sad because my favorite guy got sniped from us one pick ahead. I'm sad because I wanted this draft to be primarily about the secondary and I've watched so many favorite secondary players go. I'm sad because the OL we got wasn't the precise fit I wanted for the OL picks I wanted.

This is about me/my expectations. We have a whole dang offseason to thoughtfully analyze the resulting draft class and they're fits with the team.

But goodness, this draft has been a tease. And it's tough to get drunk and build up your hopes and watch a tease tease you.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

Would Rakestraw being there for us help?

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Miami just picked the 132nd ranked player in ESPN draft board for those who think the mock draft people know anything

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

mnkcarp wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:55
Would Rakestraw being there for us help?
That’s who I’m hoping for here in another few picks…

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Good. Didn’t really want Kneeland.

Like about 10’guys here.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Any chance we get another OLineman at 58?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:52
Drj820 wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:47
Gunzaan wrote:

As opposed to forum posters who think they know better than the Packers over player acquisitions. :aok:
What fun is it to not have your own opinions bc you just have to assume the “experts” know better. Sounds like something that some folks tried to tell us after operation warp speed! Ha
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Not a huge fan of Rakestraw but Ross Uglem is and he's smarter than me.

Rakestraw is a guy who can play both nickle and outside
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

APB wrote:
26 Apr 2024 19:48
Gunzaan wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

I think it’s more a matter of knowing I don’t know what the Packers know. I also accept that there is more than one player out there, be it draft or FA, to fill a need.

Sure, I get the emotional component but I still get a kick out of some of the over-the-top reactions because the Packers did/didn’t get a certain player. Its all good, though.
I get what you’re saying but these are typed out messages, I doubt any of the actual reactions are over the top.

And while I understand your first paragraph, that’s just your perspective. Other people are more emotional than you, and venting for a few minutes on a message board is how they deal. /shrug

And I still stand by my smug comment. There are a few of you that are awesome fans and SUPER knowledgeable and you can tell you love the Packers and the game of football. Those same people are also smug as hell with a lot of people. Maybe it is part of being very knowledgeable and being too comfortable with that perceived “power?” I don’t know but it is obvious as hell.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

great pick
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Also remember that ever since, I dunno, last offseason maybe? I've been talking about how much I need/want football IQ and instincts added to the middle of our defense.

Cooper is an excellent pick but he's another athlete whose IQ and instincts are passable but not a highlight. The DBs available have a mix of football IQ and instincts but Arnold and DeJean are both HIGH in that department and each went one pick ahead.

I have a very specific shopping list and there's nothing wrong with being disappointed that my priorities are not the team's priorities.

We're gonna win a playoff game this year and compete and possibly be great. The past two draft classes have been awesome (I also liked them a lot as they happened). My opinions right now are just opinions from an amateur a-hole. But they come from a pre-conceived, well-researched, rational place. The Draft is my Mecca. I used to want to do this for a living. I majored in Sports Studies. I "interned" with the packers. I pursued this briefly. This is what I fan for.

And I'm disappointed. Not mad. Not thinking the team is doomed. Not calling the players busts. They're just not drafting on the same set of priorities that I like. And I am very very used to being in the same neighborhood of the front office. I have LOVED so many of the guys we've taken pre-draft. I have LOVED so many of the moves the team has made based on my own evaluations.

This one: we got an OL I have serious questions about and a LB I like a TON who is still lacking in my prioritized characteristic. Why is it weird/bad/noteworthy that I am frustrated? If anything, this is validation that my rosy opinions about the team are sincere agreements and validations of my own preferences and priors. And when the team varies from what i want, sure, I hope it works and I give them deference, but I sure as &%$@ will also just tell this random internet forum of strangers how I feel about it because why wouldn't I? Why pretend to feel differently than I do?

I'm disappointed and optimistic. I quibble with the priorities and process. I think the team and roster is still in overall very good shape. I got some ideas in my head about what this draft could accomplish, and this draft is dwindlingly likely to deliver on my own ideas.

The team doesn't need to do what I want. I'm fine with them knowing better than me. But I want what I want and I'm nervous we'll miss a crucial opportunity to do what I wanted. Again, this is unabashedly a me issue, not a "the team is dumb" or "this cusk"

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Number of great secondary members available.

Go get one of em Gute
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

Our list of top 30 visits has been absolute decimated already.

If we want a corner then Rakestraw and Renardo Green. I'm leaning towards Rakestraw here.

However Javon Bullard is a decent shout. I think he has the body type and speed to play corner as well.
Last edited by Chilli on 26 Apr 2024 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Hicks, Bullard, Bishop, Haynes, Beebe my top choice here.