Jacob Monk, C, Duke, 2024 5th round pick #163

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Grade

Poll ended at 04 May 2024 14:51

A
44%
B
56%
C
No votes
D
No votes
F
No votes

Total votes: 9

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Jacob Monk, C, Duke, 2024 5th round pick #163

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/101 ... ackers-iol
POSITIVES

— Highly experienced with proven versatility and a firm understanding of the play's intent.

— Thick build, heavy hands and good square power to deliver jolt and create displacement on contact.

— Uses his frame and strength to cover up, press and steer out defenders on base, overtake and angle-drive blocks.

— Brings a physical, aggressive demeanor when uncovered looking for work. Strains hard to through the whistle in the run game.

— Clear eyes boost play speed when sorting line games and stunts.

NEGATIVES

— Middling length and lateral quickness lead to razor-thin margin for error with strike timing and hand placement against shifty, skilled pass-rushers and late loopers.

— Tardy strike timing exposes his chest, concedes control and results in a shaky anchor.

OVERALL

Jacob Monk is a five-year starter with 58 career starts, including 13 split between center (seven) and right guard (six) last season in Duke's 60-40 run-pass split, zone-based run scheme with gap principles (G-T counter) mixed in. He regularly switched between center and right guard in-game. Monk has a thick, wide and sawed-off frame with good square power, heavy hands and adequate movement skills.

Monk wins as a run-blocker using his wide-bodied frame, heavy hands and good square power to cover up first-level defenders on angle-drive, base and overtake blocks before pressing and steering them out of the hole. He runs his feet, churns his legs and strains hard to finish, bringing a lunchpail mentality to the field.

Monk is an effective puller with pop on contact and the mass to secure rush lanes. However, he plays with a perpetual forward lean and exposed chest that saps his balance once stacked and leaves him out of position against moves across his face.

In pass protection, Monk excels using shoe, jump and firm sets where he can let his strength and girth grind rushers down while bringing clear eyes against line games/stunts and jolt to adjacent rushers when uncovered. He will get caught with an exposed chest due to tardy strike timing that leads to a shaky anchor, and he will struggle cutting off moves across his face due to middling lateral quicks and length.

Overall, Monk has the size, processing skills, play strength and proven versatility to compete for a backup role on the interior of an NFL offensive line, with enough ability to get a team out of a pinch at center or guard.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

image.png
image.png (237.1 KiB) Viewed 271 times
image.png
image.png (209.31 KiB) Viewed 271 times

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

This is exactly the type of guy we need in the 5th round. Good competition and talent add for both C and RG.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Oline Now:

Tackle: Tom, Morgan, Walker (Swing)
LG: Jenkins
C: Meyers
RG: Rhyan
Swing IOL: Monk

We got our 7 plus some competition from guys like Tanuta and Jones at tackle. Absolutely awesome.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

This kid oozes "Packer Person". Seems to have his head on straight in his short phone interview. Excited about him. Dude can move.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I knew I saw this kid before! Video of him setting the team record for power clean, 386 lbs.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Just listened to Monk. He is going to be a great Packer. He will be great at both Center or Guard. His confidence is incredible. Not cocky. Confident.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

This kid is turning into my favorite selection of the day.

Something about Round 5 and Green Bay
Yoop wrote:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

paco wrote:
27 Apr 2024 15:15
I knew I saw this kid before! Video of him setting the team record for power clean, 386 lbs.
He had more in him based on that video.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Interesting allergy
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The absolute weirdest thing I’ve ever heard

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Apr 2024 16:41
The absolute weirdest thing I’ve ever heard
Gotta be a temperature sensativity. My wife gets hives when she runs and it's hot outside too.
Yoop wrote:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
27 Apr 2024 14:57
Oline Now:

We got our 7 plus some competition from guys like Tanuta and Jones at tackle. Absolutely awesome.
Personally I think Walker and Tom stay as OT starters and Morgan is the swing tackle.
I also think that Rhyan has been a mild disappointment and Monk will start at RG.
There are several possibilities as backup center but best case is for Myers to start every game.

Both Tanuta and Jones are big heavy dudes on thin ice.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
28 Apr 2024 04:09
go pak go wrote:
27 Apr 2024 14:57
Oline Now:

Personally I think Walker and Tom stay as OT starters and Morgan is the swing tackle.
I also think that Rhyan has been a mild disappointment and Monk will start at RG.
There are several possibilities as backup center but best case is for Myers to start every game.

Both Tanuta and Jones are big heavy dudes on thin ice.
I could quite frankly give a rats a$$ who is "starting" and who isn't. The lovely part is we have 7 players who can play.

I listed Walker as the swing because he does have experience at both left and right tackle. Morgan doesn't yet up to this point.

No need to put any cart before the horse. Right now we have 7 dudes that are legit players and that is freaking awesome.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we do have a history of coaching up our first round picks, typically there behind starters so we don't rush em, unless there vastly better then that starter.

the comments made from many draft people is that Alt and Morgan are the most ready to play Tackles, was that just hype? if not, then I could see a revolving door at LT the same way we saw it when Walker and Nijman shared game snaps, or Runyan and Rhyan, the cream always rises to the top when ya head to head the guys like that and the real jim dandy is exposed much quicker, I like that we do that now

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

How about we just let them compete?

But it will be interesting if they do the ole "rotate in game" like they did in 2023. It actually shocked me how successful that was for both LT and RG. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they do that again this year.
Yoop wrote:

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

go pak go wrote:
28 Apr 2024 09:09
How about we just let them compete?

But it will be interesting if they do the ole "rotate in game" like they did in 2023. It actually shocked me how successful that was for both LT and RG. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they do that again this year.
Yes, it was outside the norm thinking from our offense. How often do we hear about the same starting 5 taking time to gel together. Well competition helps too.