Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane, 2024 7th round pick #245

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane, 2024 7th round pick #245

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/101 ... -tulane-qb
POSITIVES

— Good pocket toughness. Willing to stand in collapsing pocket and make throws.

— Functional athlete. Balanced, powerful runner. Can be used in short-yardage situations.

— Above-average touch accuracy. Shows the ability to put air under the ball and layer throws both over the middle and outside.

— Showed the ability to handle pre-snap operation with checks and protection calls.

NEGATIVES

— Below-average arm talent. Lumbering release with middling velocity on the ball.

— Often double-clutches and loses confidence when operating beyond first read.

— Below-average processing speed. Too many instances where he misunderstands coverage shells or loses sight of zone defenders moving post-snap.

OVERALL

Michael Pratt has all the qualities of a solid backup quarterback in the NFL, but he lacks the polish and high-end traits to be a developmental starter.

Pratt's toughness and aggressive mentality are the basis of his game. He is fearless in the pocket. At least a few times per game, Pratt will take a clean hit to ensure he delivers a ball where it needs to go. That toughness and team-first mentality will serve him well.

That mentality extends to Pratt's risk tolerance. He is an aggressive passer. Pratt always looks for angles to throw down the field if the pre-snap look from the defense allows for it.

Pratt is a somewhat functional athlete as well. He isn't quick or fast, but there is a degree of power and balance to Pratt's game that serves him well as a designed runner in short-yardage situations or in the red zone.

From an arm-talent perspective, Pratt is lacking. He has a lumbering release, and the ball does not pop out of his hand with good velocity. Pratt too often lacks the ball speed to make certain throws, especially outside the numbers, and he doesn't have a loose arm that can access different throwing angles.

Pratt's saving grace is his touch accuracy. Though not special in any way, Pratt does show the ability to layer throws over defenders.

At the same time, Pratt lacks the decision-making and vision that his four-year starter status suggests. Pratt too often fails to see defenders in the middle of the field or adjust to any post-snap rotations, be that by the safeties or blitz packages with defenders dropping off the line of scrimmage.

Pratt can be a useful backup in the NFL. His toughness, touch accuracy and moderate athletic ability should help him keep the ship afloat in a pinch. However, Pratt's uneven decision-making and lack of high-end traits limit his upside.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm pretty stoked about this pick. Wish we had more preseason games to watch him. I think your #2 and #3 QB are so important. They are leaders of the scout teams and that development and cohesion is important on the bottom of the roster.

With the Oline we have, the WR and TE depth we have and RB depth we have, the 3rd and 4th quarters of August games should be fun this year!
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

He's become friends with Clifford, since a Manning camp a few years ago. I actually think that's a good thing.
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

paco wrote:
27 Apr 2024 17:54
Tulane University. Former home of the late great William Max McGee. Max's 1961 Lake to Lake card:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I think Sean Clifford is better in almost every way but push him. Pratt can definitely carve out a role for himself in the league especially in a QB friendly system like this.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

7th round pick. He is absolutely never going to replace Clifford. The only way this pick makes sense is if they get a 5th round pick for him in 2 years. Otherwise he is just a camp arm destined for the PS for 2 years before being cut.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

This ain't no standard 7th round pick. I have absolutely no idea how this kid dropped to the final round. His film is incredible. His story and personality is incredible. We stole one.

He is more talented than Clifford. He is tall. He has great pocket presence and my gawd he throws dimes. More importantly, the dude has an arm. His balls get there fast and go far. He has high potential. I fully expect a strong competition for QB2 as early as this year. We got one heck of a QB room.

Wouldn't be surprised if they release McGough. Hard to know if they want 4 or 3 arms in camp.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
28 Apr 2024 09:55
This ain't no standard 7th round pick. I have absolutely no idea how this kid dropped to the final round. His film is incredible. His story and personality is incredible. We stole one.

He is more talented than Clifford. He is tall. He has great pocket presence and my gawd he throws dimes. More importantly, the dude has an arm. His balls get there fast and go far. He has high potential. I fully expect a strong competition for QB2 as early as this year. We got one heck of a QB room.

Wouldn't be surprised if they release McGough. Hard to know if they want 4 or 3 arms in camp.
It is very possible they release McGough. Also possible they keep them both. They have a lot of young WR's and TE's that need practice.

Pratt NEGATIVES

— Below-average arm talent. Lumbering release with middling velocity on the ball.

— Often double-clutches and loses confidence when operating beyond first read.

— Below-average processing speed. Too many instances where he misunderstands coverage shells or loses sight of zone defenders moving post-snap.

it is very difficult to find info on McGough. Suffice to say that when he had an opportunity, he produced. I would not count him out.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »