Green Bay Packers' News - 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
07 May 2024 12:54
Yoop wrote:
07 May 2024 12:16
go pak go wrote:
07 May 2024 10:59

Unfortunately he was never good at it. Ball skills are so important for safeties and he just really lacks it. He can actually be a decent safety when he plays fired up if that part of his game was there.

The play in Atlanta will always haunt me because it happened right in front of me. Any other safety and that is an interception. I can't believe Savage did not pick off that ball let alone allow a completion. The TV camera on that play did not do it just on how poorly Savage played it. It's like he literally didn't want the ball.
my best memory of Savage was I think late year one, KIng was being beaten like a unwanted step child by a TE (can't remember the name, Davis???), Capers rolled Savage over to cover him and that was the last we heard of that TE in that game, Savage had talent, for whatever reason it never really lasted with us.
So your best memory of Savage was covering a tight end, but you don't know who, releiving King, who was an outside corner in 2019 and likely didn't cover TE's that year, and responsibility adjusted by a defensive coordinator who wasn't our defensive coordinator.

Savage must not have made a huge impression.
obviously did, or I wouldn't have remembered any of it, and boundary CB's actually do cover TE's, ever heard of this thing called zone coverage

your such a condescending p0erson, does it matter the year, or who the damn TE was? it shouldn't, the point is that Savage has shown one on one coverage ability and showed it in that game when our boundary freaking CB was getting roasted

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

the point is that Savage has shown one on one coverage ability and showed it in that game when our boundary freaking CB was getting roasted
You clearly forgot the Baltimore game from a few years ago. Savage got toasted all game long by Mark Andrews.

Also the TD he let up in our most recent game, the playoff loss to SanFran, toasted 1-on-1 by Kittle.

Yeah Andrews and Kittle are top TEs in the league, but we are not talking about a mid-round safety for whom the expectation was just to be a decent stopgap, we are talking about a Round 1 guy for whom we traded up, expecting he would be a top safety in the league. Isolated instances of good play are not enough after Year 2.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
07 May 2024 13:27
the point is that Savage has shown one on one coverage ability and showed it in that game when our boundary freaking CB was getting roasted
You clearly forgot the Baltimore game from a few years ago. Savage got toasted all game long by Mark Andrews.

Also the TD he let up in our most recent game, the playoff loss to SanFran, toasted 1-on-1 by Kittle.

Yeah Andrews and Kittle are top TEs in the league, but we are not talking about a mid-round safety for whom the expectation was just to be a decent stopgap, we are talking about a Round 1 guy for whom we traded up, expecting he would be a top safety in the league. Isolated instances of good play are not enough after Year 2.

I wasn't arguing to keep Savage, or about his play lately, my point was he did well as a 2 high, and rover.

everyone bitches about Savage, nothing about the GM trading up so much to draft him

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
07 May 2024 13:44
I wasn't arguing to keep Savage, or about his play lately, my point was he did well as a 2 high, and rover.

everyone bitches about Savage, nothing about the GM trading up so much to draft him
Because the GM is much better at his job, and did way more to help the team, than Savage.

Besides, your suggestion is that Savage did well in certain roles, which makes it less about him being on the team (GM job) and more about how he was used (coach job).
—Magneto

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

The worst part about Savage not working out is that he probably had one of the best names of any Packer ever.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

The funny part is, you do not actually ever argue the GM is bad yourself, yoop. It is not even your position that he is.

To the extent that Gute's job performance is discussed here, your posts largely praise the job he has done.

So your only point for ever asking "why is no one talking about the GM's role in all this?!" is as a lazy catch-all defense for the players, coaches, and whomsoever else you feel the weird instinct to defend: Rodgers (who you actually hate), Savage, Pettine, Capers, etc.

It would be one thing if you actually thought he is doing a bad job, and bothered to elaborate how/why, then it would not be lazy, but the way that *you* use it is just lazy. It's just: "derp, player is not playing gud, GM got the player. Ergo, GM fault." When in reality, a lot more goes into player success than just the GM's eval process.

As is, you just invoke it as a "Get Out of Jail Free"-Card when your argument becomes untenable.
—Magneto

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

I think Savage would have been an allpro if Rodgers had better receivers to throw to.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
07 May 2024 14:35
The funny part is, you do not actually ever argue the GM is bad yourself, yoop. It is not even your position that he is.

To the extent that Gute's job performance is discussed here, your posts largely praise the job he has done.

So your only point for ever asking "why is no one talking about the GM's role in all this?!" is as a lazy catch-all defense for the players, coaches, and whomsoever else you feel the weird instinct to defend: Rodgers (who you actually hate), Savage, Pettine, Capers, etc.

It would be one thing if you actually thought he is doing a bad job, and bothered to elaborate how/why, then it would not be lazy, but the way that *you* use it is just lazy. It's just: "derp, player is not playing gud, GM got the player. Ergo, GM fault." When in reality, a lot more goes into player success than just the GM's eval process.

As is, you just invoke it as a "Get Out of Jail Free"-Card when your argument becomes untenable.
your right, tired of pointing out that we didn't adjust the defensive schemes to better take advantage of the talent we had, Savage didn't fit the schemes, and you guys always say the DC needs to adjust his schemes to fit his players, as though it's something a DC can just easily do.

Savage played 2 high well, last half of 2020 he was ranked one of top safeties in the league, wouldn't surprise me at all if he does well for Chicago either.

the point with Guty trading up to get him is that Guty and our scouts saw a player worth trading up for, and Savage has been better then most here give him credit for.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I doubt Savage has any impact for Chicago.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
07 May 2024 16:39
Good point, considering he plays for Jacksonville now.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

APB wrote:
05 May 2024 18:46
Yeah, at this point I’m thinking anything under $50 mil/yr will be a bargain. If there’s a belief under $35mil is still on the table, I’d be interested to know when we’re meeting Rodgers for our next ayahuasca retreat.
Following up:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I was curious if there was any relation. Glad there is.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
07 May 2024 17:13
go pak go wrote:
07 May 2024 16:39
Good point, considering he plays for Jacksonville now.
as though where he plays matters, point is he'll play, and probably better then he's played for us, specially if it's more as a 2 high robber

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
08 May 2024 06:07
APB wrote:
05 May 2024 18:46
Yeah, at this point I’m thinking anything under $50 mil/yr will be a bargain. If there’s a belief under $35mil is still on the table, I’d be interested to know when we’re meeting Rodgers for our next ayahuasca retreat.
Following up:

I'd wait till at least mid season, there are examples of QB's doing well for a stretch and never again playing to that level, I don't understand the rush to pay him, not as though Love has us over a barrel to get this done prior to the season :idn:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
08 May 2024 06:09

I was curious if there was any relation. Glad there is.

Guess Anthony Johnson wasn't/isn't as good as many of us hoped he'd be, plus drafting 3 safeties makes him expendable.

Nice to see Walters son make the team, he must feel so proud again of his Packer heritage, and his boy getting this chance with us.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The details are absolutely crushing you the last 24 hours yoop.

We released Anthony Johnson the CB. Not Anthony Johnson Jr the safety.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 May 2024 07:25

:thwap: forgot we had 2 Anthony Johnsons, and details are for 30 year old kids to keep track of, thanks for the correction

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:

I feel bad for saying this, but I was excited to see they released the CB so I don't have to listen to Andy Herman make that clarification for the 8 billionth time.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
08 May 2024 08:07
go pak go wrote:

I feel bad for saying this, but I was excited to see they released the CB so I don't have to listen to Andy Herman make that clarification for the 8 billionth time.
I must have missed those episodes, or selective hearing tuned me out :lol:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Would any of you guys compare Love (contract-wise, NOT by ability) to Baker Mayfield? BM had a middling start to a career but seems to have found a groove in TB. Didn't he get a nice contract there now? Would he be a good comparison to Love, as far as what he has "earned?"

Even tho Love's second half of 2024 was elite, I think his soon to be extension is all about potential. Yeah, he has shown great ability. No doubt. But this is the period (next 3-5 years) where we want to find out what his ceiling is. We don't know yet. And we have good reason to believe in him. But it's his next contract that (hopefully) realizes proven elite performance.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!