Cheese Curds - News Around the League 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

lupedafiasco wrote:
06 May 2024 22:01
Damn. If only Brett Favre didn’t have Sterling Sharpe he might have been a Hall of Famer… oh wait a minute!
What's funny though is that I remember after Sharpe's tragic career ending injury, Favre finally learned how to spread the ball around.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Acrobat wrote:
07 May 2024 10:20
lupedafiasco wrote:
Damn. If only Brett Favre didn’t have Sterling Sharpe he might have been a Hall of Famer… oh wait a minute!
What's funny though is that I remember after Sharpe's tragic career ending injury, Favre finally learned how to spread the ball around.
Did he? He force fed Robert Brooks the very next season almost to the same tune that he did to Sharpe. Then it became force feeding Freeman. It was after this point where he did start spreading the ball around where his INTs increased.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 May 2024 11:11
Acrobat wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
Did he? He force fed Robert Brooks the very next season almost to the same tune that he did to Sharpe. Then it became force feeding Freeman. It was after this point where he did start spreading the ball around where his INTs increased.
He always threw at least one int ball each half. He benefitted from his velocity getting the ball on the defender so quickly they often couldn't react. But he led in the league in Ints his second year as a starter with 24.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
agree, good point, unless a QB knows where a receiver will be, how does he know where to throw the ball, not to defend the gun slinger Favre, but imo once Sharpe, Brooks and Freeman where gone the only decent route runner left was Driver and his last season with Jennings, Schroader was what MVS was to Rodgers, fast, but never ran a route the same ever, no timing, the QB is left with throwing in the vicinity of the pitch point

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
07 May 2024 12:30
lupedafiasco wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

agree, good point, unless a QB knows where a receiver will be, how does he know where to throw the ball, not to defend the gun slinger Favre, but imo once Sharpe, Brooks and Freeman where gone the only decent route runner left was Driver and his last season with Jennings, Schroader was what MVS was to Rodgers, fast, but never ran a route the same ever, no timing, the QB is left with throwing in the vicinity of the pitch point
I still do not agree. Just because Brooks put up big numbers doesn't mean he was spammed like Sharpe was. The numbers actually do not support my assertion, but the passing efficiency gains in 1995 should be pretty obvious to everyone. The point I have been unsuccessfully trying to make is I think it has a little something to do with big brother syndrome. Sharpe came before Favre. Driver before Rodgers. Adams before Love. In some respects it's hard to be the big dog, when you are playing second fiddle on your own team.

image.png
image.png (117.48 KiB) Viewed 401 times
image.png
image.png (113.06 KiB) Viewed 401 times

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Freeman had 107 targets in 1996, the top targeted player. That is the lowest of Favre's career until Driver in 2003 with 86.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
07 May 2024 12:43
I still do not agree. Just because Brooks put up big numbers doesn't mean he was spammed like Sharpe was. The numbers actually do not support my assertion, but the passing efficiency gains in 1995 should be pretty obvious to everyone. The point I have been unsuccessfully trying to make is I think it has a little something to do with big brother syndrome. Sharpe came before Favre. Driver before Rodgers. Adams before Love. In some respects it's hard to be the big dog, when you are playing second fiddle on your own team.

I fail to see the efficiency gains with Brooks though, he went from 63.0 to 61.1 catch rate and almost double the targets as the #2, seems Favre was still polarized on a #1 guy, again.

agree over all efficiency of receiving increased, Chmura, Ingram did much better

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
07 May 2024 13:30
NCF wrote:

I fail to see the efficiency gains with Brooks though, he went from 63.0 to 61.1 catch rate and almost double the targets as the #2, seems Favre was still polarized on a #1 guy, again.

agree over all efficiency of receiving increased, Chmura, Ingram did much better
I specifically meant Brett for passing efficiency.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
07 May 2024 13:44
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

actually that barely changed either, the passing yards spiked as Chmura had a PB season and Ingrams yards added in, least that what I see.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
07 May 2024 13:53
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:

actually that barely changed either, the passing yards spiked as Chmura had a PB season and Ingrams yards added in, least that what I see.
image.png
image.png (33.4 KiB) Viewed 379 times
image.png
image.png (42.77 KiB) Viewed 379 times

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
07 May 2024 14:05
Yoop wrote:
07 May 2024 13:53
NCF wrote:

image.png

image.png
what am I missing here? :idn: his completion % barely moved, 1 less pic. the yardage did increase mostly because of Chmura and Ingram.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
07 May 2024 14:56
what am I missing here?
The. Efficiency. Statistics.
image.png
image.png (27.7 KiB) Viewed 362 times

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

No way around it IMO. The Packers would always be a better team with Sharpe or Adams on it. Foolish to say otherwise IMO. Any time you get Hall of Fame caliber players you are a better team and youll have a better QB.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
07 May 2024 14:58
Yoop wrote:
07 May 2024 14:56
what am I missing here?
The. Efficiency. Statistics.

image.png
thanks, not sure what that has to do with target numbers though, Favre had a very obvious preferred receiver both seasons with Sharp and Brooks, adding better receivers with Chmura and Ingram raised the yardage, and increased the talent level of the position, naturally increasing efficiency, and production :idn:

Efficiency statistics concerning QB's, just think about that and all the variables involved NCF, the most obvious thing is the talent level of the receivers and amount of them, then protection, ability of running attack to keep a defense frozen, so many things :mrgreen:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

This is an interesting graph that appears to correlate well with players we know to be good players.

I only see two Packer WRs listed, Reed and Doubs. Am I missing others?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
09 May 2024 06:58
I only see two Packer WRs listed, Reed and Doubs. Am I missing others?
They are the only two qualifiers based on the target minimum. Wicks missed by 2 targets. Watson by 7. If anyone has access to the advanced stats (routes run), it would be interesting to do the calculations and plot those two, anyway.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Lions dishing out some serious Monopoly money this offseason.

Should we have locked in Jordan before this?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:
13 May 2024 15:49
Lions dishing out some serious Monopoly money this offseason.

Should we have locked in Jordan before this?
With the NFL's overt greed these days, nothing is making sense salary wise for QBs.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I think we can assume Goff’s new extension will provide, at a minimum, the floor for Love’s new deal. I don’t think their’s a chance in hell Love signs a deal worth less.