Green Bay Packers' News - 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

MY_TAKE wrote:
23 May 2024 16:25
NCF wrote:
23 May 2024 14:18
paco wrote:
23 May 2024 14:11
Don't know if this has been talked about. But when, if ever, will you start to worry about Love not having a new deal.

For the record, I'm not in the least bit concerned yet.
It should get hammered out before TC. There is no reason not to get it done by then.
I agree it will probably get done, but there is a scenario or 2 why it could take longer. This could be its own topic in all seriousness. I find it quite fascinating.
I'd rather see him walk than give him a ridiculous contract. We hear this time and time again. Teams that overpay their QB's don't win championships. And yet teams keep overpaying their QB's. Did we get the most out of Love's rookie contract? No we did not. But guess what? That is the price that you pay as a GM for not making a decision. BG tried to take both forks in the road 4 years ago. We had 2 years of fantastic QB play. Problem was, we got them from a different QB (the one who wasn't on the rookie deal). Now any benefit we could have had from a QB on a rookie deal is gone. IMO he hasn't proved enough yet for a max deal. I don't like how he shrunk under pressure in the SF game. I believe in this roster and the Packers have a tradition of superior coaching and player development. I would honestly rather take a shot on a new QB with a rookie deal than overpay for a guy who doesn't end up being worth it. We have a tradition of good QB development. I don't it's a coincidence that we just haven't had a QB drought in Green Bay in 30 years.

Papa's Thursday stream of consciousness rant end stop now.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Papa John wrote:
23 May 2024 16:42
MY_TAKE wrote:
NCF wrote:

It should get hammered out before TC. There is no reason not to get it done by then.
I agree it will probably get done, but there is a scenario or 2 why it could take longer. This could be its own topic in all seriousness. I find it quite fascinating.
I'd rather see him walk than give him a ridiculous contract. We hear this time and time again. Teams that overpay their QB's don't win championships. And yet teams keep overpaying their QB's. Did we get the most out of Love's rookie contract? No we did not. But guess what? That is the price that you pay as a GM for not making a decision. BG tried to take both forks in the road 4 years ago. We had 2 years of fantastic QB play. Problem was, we got them from a different QB (the one who wasn't on the rookie deal). Now any benefit we could have had from a QB on a rookie deal is gone. IMO he hasn't proved enough yet for a max deal. I don't like how he shrunk under pressure in the SF game. I believe in this roster and the Packers have a tradition of superior coaching and player development. I would honestly rather take a shot on a new QB with a rookie deal than overpay for a guy who doesn't end up being worth it. We have a tradition of good QB development. I don't it's a coincidence that we just haven't had a QB drought in Green Bay in 30 years.

haha, ranting is what older posters do, we post less, read more, until we can hold back no longer, then it's both barrels of double odd :rotf:

just to hard to find or coach up guys like Love, sure he got nerves in that last half, mostly last few minutes, but there are variables connected with that, successfully moving the offense prior, poor half time adjustment, breads a coasting affect, then when ya need to excel the chemistry just isn't the same, imo while loved tossed a couple poor passes, he was under a heavy rush, and that was a really big stage.

I'd like to wait till mid season to do this contract, agree, I want to see more before I give him 50? mil a year, which I expect he's asking for.

just think what most teams have to give for a chance at a highly ranked college QB, and 2/3rds of them never play even close to slot value, some teams ( Bears) do it every 3 years, we see teams give up several first round picks to move for a QB.

basically A GM is allowed 3 paths, either draft one late first and groom him up as we've done, trade for one (Cousins goes for 50 mil.) or spend heavily for a top tier prospect with less then 30% odds that you hit on.

I think we focus on the very few QB's that do well on rookie contracts, and over look the many that don't :mrgreen:

Yoops rant for the day, maybe :lol:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Interesting list. Can’t say I see any correlation between overall team RAS scores and success but it does give some insight on which teams potentially prioritize athleticism over, say, game tape.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Papa John wrote:
23 May 2024 16:42
MY_TAKE wrote:
NCF wrote:

This rant is so all over the place Idk where to start :kaboom:

So 20/20

So in this statement we should have taken shots at rookies instead of paying AR. Now that we seen the results I still don't see a rookie giving us a better chance from 2011 to 2022

Which of these rookies on rookie contracts are bringing in these rings???? It's a great concept of it works but what's the actual facts

The eagles won with foles. Everything around that is NOT a rookie contract.

In short... If you have a good one you believe in you pay him and. Ride that horse. The chances of getting a good one is slim so letting them walk doesn't happen often or for a reason.

Love for me has shown he is the fricken man we need to ride for the next 10 years. Both as a leader (something I didn't think AR was) and player.

Get used to #10 and 2 rings. :banana:

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
23 May 2024 18:45
So in this statement we should have taken shots at rookies instead of paying AR. Now that we seen the results I still don't see a rookie giving us a better chance from 2011 to 2022
How many championships did we get from 2011 to 2022? And that was with Aaron Rodgers at QB.

Yes, we had done a new deal with him prior to the 2010 Super Bowl, but that was nowhere close to a max deal.
The eagles won with foles. Everything around that is NOT a rookie contract.
Dude, he was making $11 million over 2 years. And Wentz made like $540k that year. Nowhere close to generational wealth that we are talking with J.Love.

The chances of getting a good one is slim so letting them walk doesn't happen often or for a reason.

But they aren't as slim anymore IMO. As I said, culture makes a big difference. The example I like to use is Jay Cutler. He objectively had impressive physical talent. Chicago just does not know how to coach up QB's. Green Bay has a tradition of solid QB development.

Maybe the best choice will end up being to give Love his deal. I am saying, nobody should get a max deal until they have had to come back and perform again in a second season as a starter, and shown that they can do it- even when opposing teams have tape to work with.

It is too soon to commit that kind of money to him.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Papa John wrote:
24 May 2024 09:06
It's the going rate. Even re-setting the market, he will be not be on top for long. Teams that are afraid to make the investment at QB are teams that are going to be perpetually spinning their wheels. Also looking back at Packers history, Favre got a near top-of-market extension in 1993 after 13 games and Aaron got a hefty raise after 8 games in 2008. Waiting is only going to make matters worse.

Read More. Post Less.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

NCF wrote:
24 May 2024 09:13
Papa John wrote:
It's the going rate. Even re-setting the market, he will be not be on top for long. Teams that are afraid to make the investment at QB are teams that are going to be perpetually spinning their wheels. Also looking back at Packers history, Favre got a near top-of-market extension in 1993 after 13 games and Aaron got a hefty raise after 8 games in 2008. Waiting is only going to make matters worse.
Zero. The answer is zero championships from 2011 to 2022. Lots of heartbreak. Lots of early round exits to teams that had more complete rosters than we did. But zero 'chips.
- Bill Parcells

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Papa John wrote:
24 May 2024 09:42
NCF wrote:
Papa John wrote:
Zero. The answer is zero championships from 2011 to 2022. Lots of heartbreak. Lots of early round exits to teams that had more complete rosters than we did. But zero 'chips.
So the reason for zero championships from 2011 to 2022 was because we paid Aaron Rodgers?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Papa John wrote:
NCF wrote:
Papa John wrote:
How about teams that cycled through a clown car of QB's? Did they fare better?

:lombardi:

Read More. Post Less.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

NCF wrote:
24 May 2024 11:06

He won't see nearly as many blitzes this year. We'll see how he does with more defensive players in coverage.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 May 2024 09:55
Papa John wrote:
NCF wrote:

So the reason for zero championships from 2011 to 2022 was because we paid Aaron Rodgers?
That was partly the reason, but not the only reason. Once the defense started to break up .......... the championship runs were halted. I don't have time right now to totally dissect the 2011 to 2022 defense rosters.

The 2023 defense wasn't that great either. Hafley to the rescue :clap:

The Finley, Driver, Jordy, James Jones, and Greg Jennings (and I suppose Donald Lee) receiving corp was special in 2010 as well.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 May 2024 11:23
NCF wrote:

He won't see nearly as many blitzes this year. We'll see how he does with more defensive players in coverage.

They tried that against him last year too and he carved it up.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
24 May 2024 12:03
wallyuwl wrote:
24 May 2024 11:23
NCF wrote:

They tried that against him last year too and he carved it up.
that stuff only works when ya have a Adams and .................., even then a quality QB can win a lot of games.

like Rodgers in 09, Love has a bunch of shinny new toys that can shred coverages, and like those 09, 010 squads will probably produce a top 5 offense, and possibly a SB appearance.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
24 May 2024 12:27
that stuff only works when ya have a Adams and .................., even then a quality QB can win a lot of games.

like Rodgers in 09,
Keep your pet topic out of the news thread.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
24 May 2024 13:01
Yoop wrote:

like Rodgers in 09,
I'am not the guy snooping for Jets articles to trash the ex QB.

and I'll post whatever I want where evert I want to post it, you just can't handle the truth

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
24 May 2024 13:35
Labrev wrote:
Yoop wrote:

like Rodgers in 09,
I posted that in Cheese Curds. It was relevant to the thread topic.
and I'll post whatever I want where evert I want to post it,
Okay. See what happens when you post stuff off-topic, and don't blame me for it.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
24 May 2024 13:40
Yoop wrote:
24 May 2024 13:35
Labrev wrote:

I posted that in Cheese Curds. It was relevant to the thread topic.
and I'll post whatever I want where evert I want to post it,
Okay. See what happens when you post stuff off-topic, and don't blame me for it.
seriously what about only having one (1) quality receiver and a bunch of jags, which is what Rodgers had to work with doesn't relate to Love having more then 1, everything I said is relevant to this topic, you turn it into my pet topic simply because I mention Rodgers to illustrate my point, stop acting like a jerk

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Papa John wrote:
NCF wrote:

THE reason? Possibly. A reason? Absolutely. And not just paid. Paid him the big $$$.
- Bill Parcells

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Papa John wrote:
24 May 2024 14:24
Pckfn23 wrote:
Papa John wrote:

THE reason? Possibly. A reason? Absolutely. And not just paid. Paid him the big $$$.
So you contend that a team should never pay a QB the big money? What is the big money?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."