Green Bay Packers' News - 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Again there is just so much 20/20 views here

Am I understanding this right.... We should have moved on from AR after the Superbowl win?? Or the next season when that was one of the greatest offenses ever seen? (Let's not fail to remember this o and wr room was better AFTER the SB.) Or in 2014 when everyone on the team said it was a better team then the SB team but just didn't finish bc you know it's fricken hard to win in the league. Which year should we have moved on from AR? Not knowing the future GB would have been laughed at by the world to move on from AR during this period. Laughed at and called fools.

Also outside of Luck whom we would have had a slim to none chance at which QB would we have thought was the cheap answer.

I also 100% disagree Good QBs grow on trees. I would say the opposite. There are only a few each year I think are truly elite and can carry a team to a title. And the perfect combo of QB and coach is even slimmer. Perfect example ppl like to spew is the mighty 49ers with cheap QB play. Guess what they haven't won &%$@ either and that team is slipping away again only to suck get high picks and hope to come back.

Back to my original point. If you got your guy you believe you pay that man. Musical chairs and QB isn't the answer and would also show the other guys your not committed. Hell our big FA signings wanted to come to GB bc of guess who.

I can feel the Love. :aok:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Gary looking slim here!
RIP JustJeff

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

:shock:
paco wrote:
24 May 2024 17:30
Gary looking slim here!
:shock:

Wow. Looks almost too small esp for a hand in dirt end.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 May 2024 09:55
Papa John wrote:
24 May 2024 09:42
NCF wrote:
24 May 2024 09:13

It's the going rate. Even re-setting the market, he will be not be on top for long. Teams that are afraid to make the investment at QB are teams that are going to be perpetually spinning their wheels. Also looking back at Packers history, Favre got a near top-of-market extension in 1993 after 13 games and Aaron got a hefty raise after 8 games in 2008. Waiting is only going to make matters worse.
Zero. The answer is zero championships from 2011 to 2022. Lots of heartbreak. Lots of early round exits to teams that had more complete rosters than we did. But zero 'chips.
So the reason for zero championships from 2011 to 2022 was because we paid Aaron Rodgers?
NO! There should have been 2 Super Bowl wins. Maybe 3. Everything was in place. But Bakh got hurt. And then Jenkins took his place and did well but he got hurt too. That was not on AR, nor on his contract and the lack of cap space.

However, the Packers waited too long to trade AR. They should have sent him to Denver for that haul of draft picks instead of settling for what they got from the Jets. It was obvious that AR was hearing footsteps and not worth his contract on a team that was not going deep into the playoffs.

Fortunately Love has become another quality QB. Whether or not he is better or equal to Rodgers and Favre should not matter because the rest of the team is substantially better. The Packers have never had the receiving strength that they have now, the combination of WR's and TE's and it looks like they now have durable and exceptionally talented RB's too. The only weakness on O is a lack of experienced depth in the Oline - and all they need is for 2 backups to be competent.

On D, this is the best Dline the Packers have had since Lombardi was coach. All pro's at CB and now Safety with a top rate pass rush should make this a top 5 D.

This should be a SB team this season and for several in the future. The only weaknesses are long snapper, maybe kicker and maybe Oline and ILB depth.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 May 2024 15:23
Papa John wrote:
24 May 2024 14:24
Pckfn23 wrote:
24 May 2024 09:55

So the reason for zero championships from 2011 to 2022 was because we paid Aaron Rodgers?
THE reason? Possibly. A reason? Absolutely. And not just paid. Paid him the big $$$.
So you contend that a team should never pay a QB the big money? What is the big money?
It's a fair question, 23. I am contending that a front office should do its due diligence before just offering someone a max deal. What do I mean by due diligence? Well, at that kind of money, it'd better damn well be more than "he can play really well." When contracts upwards of a quarter billion dollars are on the table, I expect a thorough evaluation of that player's intangibles, with the biggest question being "how committed to the game is he, really?" Will he claw with his finger nails for that extra inch? To quote Al Pacino.

That was what was missing with Aaron Rodgers, and I recognized it earlier than most did. His appearance on a recent podcast confirmed what I had suspected for the better part of a decade. He recalled being on the bus after the Super Bowl win and experiencing what he called "ego death." Basically the feeling of not knowing what to do next with his life. Wouldn't it have been nice to know that before we committed the generational wealth that we did? Gee Aaron, what a tough question- idk, maybe try to get more Super Bowl wins and build a dynasty? Become the GOAT?

What kind of grit does Jordan Love have? Does he love this game? Generational wealth changes players. It often makes them less hungry. Maybe Love is in fact worth a max deal. I believe we need to give it a bit more time before we make that commitment. There is a reason why it is called "$%@# you money."
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Papa John wrote:
25 May 2024 12:50
Pckfn23 wrote:
Papa John wrote:

THE reason? Possibly. A reason? Absolutely. And not just paid. Paid him the big $$$.
So you contend that a team should never pay a QB the big money? What is the big money?
It's a fair question, 23. I am contending that a front office should do its due diligence before just offering someone a max deal. What do I mean by due diligence? Well, at that kind of money, it'd better damn well be more than "he can play really well." When contracts upwards of a quarter billion dollars are on the table, I expect a thorough evaluation of that player's intangibles, with the biggest question being "how committed to the game is he, really?" Will he claw with his finger nails for that extra inch? To quote Al Pacino.

That was what was missing with Aaron Rodgers, and I recognized it earlier than most did. His appearance on a recent podcast confirmed what I had suspected for the better part of a decade. He recalled being on the bus after the Super Bowl win and experiencing what he called "ego death." Basically the feeling of not knowing what to do next with his life. Wouldn't it have been nice to know that before we committed the generational wealth that we did? Gee Aaron, what a tough question- idk, maybe try to get more Super Bowl wins and build a dynasty? Become the GOAT?

What kind of grit does Jordan Love have? Does he love this game? Generational wealth changes players. It often makes them less hungry. Maybe Love is in fact worth a max deal. I believe we need to give it a bit more time before we make that commitment. There is a reason why it is called "$%@# you money."
All fair, all true. I think what we can see as fans that Love has what it takes and the drive to realize it. Imagine what the team sees!
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 25 May 2024 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Rodgers was at his best when he had the "chip on his shoulder" and in his early career he had that, especially with the Favre drama and people openly doubting him. He did seem to largely lose that after 2010; he no longer needed to prove he could win it all.

I definitely think his great 2020 and 2021 seasons were motivated by us drafting Jordan Love, him getting that "chip on his shoulder" again, but he seemed content to settle for MVP honors than an actual SB win to vindicate himself.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Papa John wrote:
25 May 2024 12:50
Pckfn23 wrote:
Papa John wrote:

This is why Bart Starr is the greatest Packers QB ever. 5 championships ........... not just 1 like Favre and Rodgers. Looking for great things out of Jordan Love ............ hope he's up to the task. Granted Starr had a great defense for many years (6 Pro Football Hall of Famers + Emlen Tunnell + Packers Hall of Famers: Bill Forester + Dan Currie + Lionel Aldridge + Dave Hanner + Ron Kostelnik + Bob Jeter).

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
25 May 2024 18:51
This is why Bart Starr is the greatest Packers QB ever. 5 championships ........... not just 1 like Favre and Rodgers. Looking for great things out of Jordan Love ............ hope he's up to the task. Granted Starr had a great defense for many years (6 Pro Football Hall of Famers + Emlen Tunnell + Packers Hall of Famers: Bill Forester + Dan Currie + Lionel Aldridge + Dave Hanner + Ron Kostelnik + Bob Jeter).
Bart was the ultimate Packer. He took a thankless job as the coach knowing that it would take a long time to rebuild. But Devine handed him a team crippled by the Hadl trade. A hopeless task and he knew it but he took it anyway, for the team.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
26 May 2024 10:34
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Bart was the ultimate Packer. He took a thankless job as the coach knowing that it would take a long time to rebuild. But Devine handed him a team crippled by the Hadl trade. A hopeless task and he knew it but he took it anyway, for the team.
Devine and whoever was responsible for taking Mandarich.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Labrev wrote:
25 May 2024 15:05
Rodgers was at his best when he had the "chip on his shoulder" and in his early career he had that, especially with the Favre drama and people openly doubting him. He did seem to largely lose that after 2010; he no longer needed to prove he could win it all.

I definitely think his great 2020 and 2021 seasons were motivated by us drafting Jordan Love, him getting that "chip on his shoulder" again, but he seemed content to settle for MVP honors than an actual SB win to vindicate himself.
You have to wonder if he'll play with that chip on his shoulder - IF he still can - this coming season in NJ.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

TheSkeptic wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Yes, that Hadl trade was IMO one of the worst trades in league history. However, Bart was woefully unprepared for the task given him and the BOD kept him on way to long. No other franchise would have hung onto a coach with his mediocre records, even a legendary figure like he was.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
26 May 2024 11:06
TheSkeptic wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Devine and whoever was responsible for taking Mandarich.
most of the whole football world was dupped by Mandarich, Gil Brandt the guru of all that is football endorsed Mandarich, same with Ron Wolf, and Lindy Infante and Tommy Bratz where listening and swopped in with that pick, all the other top 5 picks in that class have busts in Canton

long read, but worth it :aok:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/124836 ... directed=1

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:

oh for christ sakes, did he look like he lost the drive to win in 2011, or 014, 016? NO, when the quality of supporting cast diminish, it's bound to affect the players that carry the team as well, and that is a fair example of the skill position players on offense.

does it matter what motivated Rodgers in 019, 2020, or 21, why can't it just be new HC with new schemes? he had been asking for change in both 017 and 018, and those changes helped him and this team to a 13-3, drafting Love may have helped add some motivation, but imho it pales compared to the hiring of Lafleur

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

The beginning of the end was in full swing when Danica showed up on the scene.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2024 12:39
Labrev wrote:

oh for christ sakes, did he look like he lost the drive to win in 2011, or 014, 016? NO, when the quality of supporting cast diminish, it's bound to affect the players that carry the team as well, and that is a fair example of the skill position players on offense.

does it matter what motivated Rodgers in 019, 2020, or 21, why can't it just be new HC with new schemes? he had been asking for change in both 017 and 018, and those changes helped him and this team to a 13-3, drafting Love may have helped add some motivation, but imho it pales compared to the hiring of Lafleur
I like how you freaked out at my take and then contradicted yourself. Supporting cast diminished and that according to you hurt him, but his good play in 2020-21 was due to new scheme, not a better supporting cast. That would be untenable for you to argue because he had basically the same cast between 2018 and 2021.

Also, since you don't have a problem claiming you know Rodgers's private thoughts, I will do the same. With that psychic power vested in me, I will argue that Rodgers didn't care that much about winning another SuperBowl. I base that on the quote that Papa brought about feeling "ego death" after our SB win in 2010, plus him not really ever acting that upset after any of the PO losses (he was upset after a regular season win in 2018 though, very visibly upset that the offensive play design wasn't getting us to force the ball to Adams more).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

You don't say... :shock: :lol:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 May 2024 08:53

Gotta give a shout out to that Dallas star in the background. Thinking that photo could've came from the 3TD game in 2022. But maybe not.....maybe that was the big 2023 playoff game.

Dallas is NOT on the Packers 2024 schedule. Could care less if Dallas was absent in the playoffs as well. Dallas is so disgustingly over-effen-fricken-rated.

Looking for Wicks, Melton, Kraft, Musgrave and Toure autograph signing opportunities. Please advise as you see fit.

If anyone wants my autograph just send me a self addressed stamped envelope, something to write on, and a free drink coupon from Hinterland. :rotf:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 May 2024 08:53

So they put him on a Biodex and found out his legs are different in strength. Then had him do some eccentric training. Amazing how something so simple, that I said months and months ago on here, is getting so much attention.
Last edited by wallyuwl on 27 May 2024 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Guess who is Champion... again?