Rank the Roster 2024: #27

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the next two best players on the Packers

Poll ended at 13 Jun 2024 20:00

AJ Dillon
7%
TJ Slaton
14%
Kingsley Enagbare
7%
MarShawn Lloyd
25%
Karl Brooks
25%
Sean Rhyan
18%
Colby Wooden
4%
Ty'Ron Hopper
No votes
Evan Williams
No votes
Andre Dillard
No votes
Sean Clifford
No votes
Isaiah McDuffie
No votes
Royce Newman
No votes
Jacob Monk
No votes
Kitan Oladapo
No votes
Travis Glover
No votes
Tyler Davis
No votes
Malik Heath
No votes
Anthony Johnson Jr
No votes
Eric Wilson
No votes

Total votes: 28

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2024: #27

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2024 Edition

1. Jordan Love (53%)[+8]
2. Rashan Gary (36%)[+3]
3. Jaire Alexander (48%)[-2]
4. Zach Tom (27%)[+13]
5. Kenny Clark (33%)[-1]
6. Xavier McKinney (35%)[FA]
7. Elgton Jenkins (47%)[-1]
8. Josh Jacobs (43%)[FA]
9. Jayden Reed (36%)[+18]
10T. Christian Watson (24%)[-2]
10T. Dontayvion Wicks (24%)[+21]
12T. Preston Smith (27%)[-2]
12T. Devonte Wyatt (27%)[+4]
14. Quay Walker (40%)[--]
15. Luke Musgrave (28%)[+7]
16T. Romeo Doubs (26%)[-1]
16T. Lukas Van Ness (26%)[+2]
18. Keisean Nixon (25%)[-1]
19. Tucker Kraft (21%)[+12]
20. Rasheed Walker (32%)[+12]
21. Eric Stokes (28%)[+1]
22T. Javon Bullard (38%)[R]
22T. Edgerrin Cooper (38%)[R]
24. Josh Myers (27%)[-3]
25T. Jordan Morgan (28%)[R]
25T. Carrington Valentine (28%)[+6]
27. Current (xx%)[--]

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2023 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll. You may vote up to TWO players (a change that was made mid-poll last year, seemed to work well).

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 15-20 guys, new players added in bunches every few days).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2023
Rank the Roster: 2022
Rank the Roster: 2021
Rank the Roster: 2020
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Brooks and Lloyd.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Any of the first six guys on the poll can be argued here. I could also see Colby Wooden take a step this year, too.

My vote will be Rhyan alone. I think he will be RG1 this season, in which case he will be more impactful than anyone else on the list. I think he'll be solid, too, if maybe a bit inconsistent. He flashed last year while in the rotation, but also had things he needed to clean up. Hopefully the live reps pay off.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Brooks and Rhyan for me.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I am voting Marshawn Lloyd. I do believe Lloyd has a chance to be that fun rookie on offense this year.

I loved, loved, loved him pre-draft and he was my #1 RB I hoped we would get. I picked him in the Packers mock draft competition and was elated when we selected him. From evertyyhing we are hearing, the dude is looking great in shorts and super excited to see him in pads.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Lloyd and Brooks for me, our #2 RB is basically a starter, Lloyd will get a ton of touches, and Brooks has become a force as a pass rushing DT

Rhyan and Slaton on deck

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Wanted to give it some time to think about.

Going to go Lloyd and Dillon. #2 RB should have gone a while ago production-wise, but the uncertainty around who leaves them falling.

Dillon has been that guy for a while and I don't see him ceding 3rd down snaps to the rookie. That said, holy cow was it ever noticeable how much worse GB's offense was with Dillon on the field vs Jones. Jones was better than Dillon at all the stuff Dillon should have been better at - short yardage and pass pro. Only a few times in his career has he led a punishing 4th quarter 4 minute drive, which more than anything is what he's there for.

I expect Lloyd to have more juice in his legs and as such be more relevant as a scoring threat, and get more work on 1st-2nd down that Dillon.

Its pretty usually for the #2 RB to score 5+ total TD's and over 800 yds of offense.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

How do all these rookies get in before a guy like Slayton? Am I not thinking of the right Slayton on our team? Maybe it's me. Give me a guy who's made some steps in the NFL and finished last season well over some guys who've shown us nothing so far.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

musclestang wrote:
13 Jun 2024 12:17
How do all these rookies get in before a guy like Slayton? Am I not thinking of the right Slayton on our team? Maybe it's me. Give me a guy who's made some steps in the NFL and finished last season well over some guys who've shown us nothing so far.
Karl Brooks first year has 4 sacks, 4 pass defenses, 1 FF, 2 recoveries in half the snaps of Slaton. Slaton in his 3rd year, had 0 sacks, 2PDs, no FFs, or recoveries. 50 tackles. While a guy who can eat up blockers is important, the new D seems to be designed to unleash guys like Brooks.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Cdragon wrote:
13 Jun 2024 12:54
musclestang wrote:
13 Jun 2024 12:17
Karl Brooks first year has 4 sacks, 4 pass defenses, 1 FF, 2 recoveries in half the snaps of Slaton. Slaton in his 3rd year, had 0 sacks, 2PDs, no FFs, or recoveries. 50 tackles. While a guy who can eat up blockers is important, the new D seems to be designed to unleash guys like Brooks.
I also would put Brooks and engebare on that list of guys I figured would have made the "roster" already vs some of the rookies that have made it.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I only voted for Brooks this time. He should be head and shoulders above everyone else. No one else is a potential starter and I think he takes Wyatt's job.

I think Dillard or Morgan take RG. Rhyan is odd man out and gets to join Newman on the street.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I am a huge Karl Brooks proponent.

He has tough competition to see the field, though. You have Kenny Clark who is clearly the leader of the DL room. Wyatt is a 1st-round pick and specializes at the thing Brooks does well, interior pass-rush. Slaton will be preferred in run-stop situations. Wooden will be eating into his snaps as well. If all that weren't enough, LVN has some interior pass-rush ability, too.

I could see him outplay this spot significantly. I could also see him getting lost in the shuffle.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
13 Jun 2024 15:27
I only voted for Brooks this time. He should be head and shoulders above everyone else. No one else is a potential starter and I think he takes Wyatt's job.

I think Dillard or Morgan take RG. Rhyan is odd man out and gets to join Newman on the street.
Rhyan was a 3rd round pick just two years ago, I doubt they dump him, OL tend to take a couple seasons to coach up, specially 3rd rounders, we let Runyan go because Rhyan actually pushed him out the door, even if he doesn't become a starter, he's a very solid backup

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Sean Rhyan, starting RG
TJ Slaton, lead man at 1-tech

Kenny Clark dropped some weight this offseason so he can play more 3-tech ( sub-300lbs).
And one way that happens is if they can give even more snaps to TJ at 1-tech/nose. TJ played 678 snaps last year, that's # 2 on the DL

Also - Colby Wooden beefed up from 278 to 290 so he can hang better with the Big Boys per his comments
IT. IS. TIME

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BSA wrote:
13 Jun 2024 16:25
Sean Rhyan, starting RG

Kenny Clark dropped some weight this offseason so he can play more 3-tech ( sub-300lbs).
And one way that happens is if they can give even more snaps to TJ at 1-tech/nose. TJ played 678 snaps last year, that's # 2 on the DL

Also - Colby Wooden beefed up from 278 to 290 so he can hang better with the Big Boys per his comments
Interesting that Wooden gained weight. I would have thought that he would have dropped a few pounds to compete at DE rather than DT. Gaining is going to put him in competition with Clark, Wyatt, Brooks and Slayton and in direct competition with Wyatt and Brooks. I don't see how being third for 1 position is going to be to his advantage. Better to compete at DE as this could be the last season for Preston and then he would be competing with Engabare and Cox to be the third DE.

The Packers will have a 4 man Dline. There is no nose DT, nor is there any need for one as Clark, Wyatt, Brooks and now Wooden are now big enough to play either DT position against most other teams. There is still role for Slayton in short yardage situations, but he is now a role player, not even a rotational player. Is Jonathan Ford still on the roster?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
14 Jun 2024 02:06
BSA wrote:
Sean Rhyan, starting RG

Interesting that Wooden gained weight. I would have thought that he would have dropped a few pounds to compete at DE rather than DT. Gaining is going to put him in competition with Clark, Wyatt, Brooks and Slayton and in direct competition with Wyatt and Brooks. I don't see how being third for 1 position is going to be to his advantage. Better to compete at DE as this could be the last season for Preston and then he would be competing with Engabare and Cox to be the third DE.

The Packers will have a 4 man Dline. There is no nose DT, nor is there any need for one as Clark, Wyatt, Brooks and now Wooden are now big enough to play either DT position against most other teams. There is still role for Slayton in short yardage situations, but he is now a role player, not even a rotational player. Is Jonathan Ford still on the roster?
a 40 front does not eliminate the NT, in a 40 front typically you'll have at least 1 in a 2 gap set, meaning head up on the center, and that guy would usually be the biggest DL on the team, in our case thats Slaton, or it could be Clark or Wyatt, I expect those 3 to be our top 3 and will garner the most snap count, and Brooks and Wooden will rotate in to rest them, we drafted for a decade to build up a interior like this one, no way we are moving any of them to the perimeter, Skeptic, imo that would defeat the reason we drafted them, the goal for a guy like Wooden or Brooks besides some day being a starter is to keep the main guys rested, again DT is the most physically demanding position in the game, the fresher, the better. jmo.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Jun 2024 09:14
TheSkeptic wrote:
BSA wrote:
Sean Rhyan, starting RG

a 40 front does not eliminate the NT, in a 40 front typically you'll have at least 1 in a 2 gap set, meaning head up on the center
With 4 down lineman (4-3, 4-2, or 4-1) the NT isn't eliminated but you would never see a 0 technique, head up the center.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Jun 2024 09:23
Yoop wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

a 40 front does not eliminate the NT, in a 40 front typically you'll have at least 1 in a 2 gap set, meaning head up on the center
With 4 down lineman (4-3, 4-2, or 4-1) the NT isn't eliminated but you would never see a 0 technique, head up the center.
I hate speaking in absolutes so I'd rephrase your "never" to "very rarely" but, yeah, agree completely.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
14 Jun 2024 09:32
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I hate speaking in absolutes so I'd rephrase your "never" to "very rarely" but, yeah, agree completely.
I thought about not using that word too, but you would honestly never schematically line up a defender head up the center with 4 defensive lineman. The numbers for the defense wouldn't work out and you would have 1 lineman trying to defend an entire side of the line. Let's say you are planning to play a 1 gap scheme and just want the NT to take the single A gap. You still wouldn't align him at a 0 as it gives an unnecessary advantage to the center.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

it's a 4 player to 5 gap deal, someone has to 2 gap, now he may shade the shoulder, but he is not single gapping unless it is a pure run down.

and I have my doubts we'll actually see 4 down lineman very much, imo that stuff is over blown, look at other 40 fronts, ya don't see the edge rushers in a 3 point on every down