Jordan Love Extension

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

In the end, Love and his agent play the hand of his career perfectly.

He limits over exposure by sitting much of his first contract, while still earning top money in his second contract! Right on time too. Well played.

This will be a great deal for everyone if Love continues to be “the man”. That’s a little “to be determined”, but I’m pretty confident in it.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Jul 2024 11:04

He limits over exposure by sitting much of his first contract, while still earning top money in his second contract! Right on time too. Well played.

This will be a great deal for everyone if Love continues to be “the man”. That’s a little “to be determined”, but I’m pretty confident in it.
I'll keep wearing my Jordan Love t-shirt. Not investing in a jersey yet. My signed and certified Love mini-helmet has re-sale value. I'll be there game 1 versus Indy at Lambeau cheering for the defense and kicking game to make the Packers offense great again (POGA baby! :banana: ). 300 yards passing and 100 yards rushing and 3 TDs and 2 FGs and no turnovers should ice it. POGA! POGA! POGA!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

See if I can channel my inner Andrew Brandt here.

I think this deal is more about the QB market in general than Love.

First, the price of good QBs (let alone elite QBs) is going significantly upward. Probably more than any other position that isn't WR. Guys like Love, Tua, and so forth definitely benefit from that.

Second, to make Love the highest paid QB (for now) is still more about potential than what he's put on the field. Yeah, he had an unbelievable end of the 2023 season. That can't be taken from him. But he needs to prove that he can continually do it and adapt at that high level. (Didn't Lupe say something to that effect too?)

Finally, it's significant that GB paid out the guarantees the way that they did. Is this the first ever 100% guaranteed contract that GB has given? AND, is part of it guaranteed only after a couple of years? That's a savvy move by GB. Would Pckfn23 or somebody look into that please? If it's true, then it's another example of our front office being top tier.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote: Finally, it's significant that GB paid out the guarantees the way that they did. Is this the first ever 100% guaranteed contract that GB has given? AND, is part of it guaranteed only after a couple of years? That's a savvy move by GB. Would Pckfn23 or somebody look into that please? If it's true, then it's another example of our front office being top tier.
Did I miss something? Is this contract 100% guaranteed?

I thought only $155m of the $220m was guaranteed?

:dunno:

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

APB wrote:
28 Jul 2024 18:51
Scott4Pack wrote: Finally, it's significant that GB paid out the guarantees the way that they did. Is this the first ever 100% guaranteed contract that GB has given? AND, is part of it guaranteed only after a couple of years? That's a savvy move by GB. Would Pckfn23 or somebody look into that please? If it's true, then it's another example of our front office being top tier.

Looks like 160,300 was guaranteed. An out after 2026 with only a $51 million dead cap hit.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id ... ordan-love

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Raptorman wrote:
28 Jul 2024 20:56
APB wrote:
28 Jul 2024 18:51

Looks like 160,300 was guaranteed. An out after 2026 with only a $51 million dead cap hit.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id ... ordan-love
That ignores the void years, which you really can't do if you are going to cut bait.

image.png
image.png (313.39 KiB) Viewed 1621 times

Read More. Post Less.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

NCF wrote:
29 Jul 2024 10:17
That ignores the void years, which you really can't do if you are going to cut bait.
Pretty sure Sporttrac didn't ignore the void years.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Raptorman wrote:
29 Jul 2024 12:13
NCF wrote:
When I looked at Spotrac on Sunday morning (July 28), they did not include the VOID years which is why I had to estimate the $35MM in VOID years in my first summary.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Raptorman wrote:
29 Jul 2024 12:13
NCF wrote:
They show them, but did not include them in the dead cap calculation. There is no magic wand that makes that go away.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

#receipts

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

I always thought he would get Goff type money and he did a little better. I think most posters here thought that. Nice to have that done.

Love just needs to spread the ball around equally now to 5 receivers and 2 TE's so the Packers can avoid Ceedee Lamb (I assume whats coming) and Justin Jefferson type WR contracts. :aok: :clap:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Jul 2024 11:04

Mega Million air by the age of 26, I so jealous :rotf:

I'am pretty confident his next contract will double this one :aok:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
30 Jul 2024 09:58
Mega Million air by the age of 26, I so jealous
You've never been? :lol:

Read More. Post Less.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

I am very optimistic about Jordan Love. I have always liked his athleticism and the fact that he is 6'4". He's a big guy and I hope that that will translate to durability in the long run. Time will tell whether this is a successful contract for the Packers, but I feel good about it.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I can't remember where I saw it, but a comment was said ala "We think he has a high ceiling and the sky is the limit, but the real question is what his floor is".

And that's my ONLY concern. I think he has all the talent and a great mindset, but there were some really bad moments last year, so just hopeful that he's more consistent moving forward. Not every game will look like the Dallas game, but if he can consistently run the offense and move the chains and then mix in some great moments. Also, hoping he comes up in clutch moments.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Acrobat wrote:
31 Jul 2024 08:16
I can't remember where I saw it, but a comment was said ala "We think he has a high ceiling and the sky is the limit, but the real question is what his floor is".

And that's my ONLY concern. I think he has all the talent and a great mindset, but there were some really bad moments last year, so just hopeful that he's more consistent moving forward. Not every game will look like the Dallas game, but if he can consistently run the offense and move the chains and then mix in some great moments. Also, hoping he comes up in clutch moments.
I will tip my cap to the comment on clutch play--that's something young QBs have to prove until they prove it; and we have a couple examples (Steelers, 49ers) where he didn't prove it.

But the "ugly moments?" Nah. There was some very disjointed offensive play early in the year, but Love never had a terrible game. He never just stunk. By QBR or passer rating or PFF grades, he had only a few below average games, but never so low as to cause concern. His floor is fine. It's established. He is, at worst, a middle tier starting caliber QB in the NFL. That's his floor.

And when you look at his actual cap charge per year (not his average cost), he's not even costing us in the top 10 QB cap charges for any of the next 3 years. I wish we would have done this deal earlier and gotten a slight discount on it--honestly. I wish we would have made him an offer in the final week or two of the regular season like we did in Rodgers' first season as a starter--when he got a big deal in December. I think we could have shaved about $5M/year off the deal if we gave it to him early, when the hype was a little less, the guarantees looked a little more enticing, etc.

But I won't quibble. We paid the market rate. He's getting paid the same as other guys who have a lot to prove, still. And he's locked in for a while. And our offensive weapons are the cheapest in the league and will remain so for at least another year.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Jul 2024 08:54
Acrobat wrote:
31 Jul 2024 08:16

I will tip my cap to the comment on clutch play--that's something young QBs have to prove until they prove it; and we have a couple examples (Steelers, 49ers) where he didn't prove it.

But the "ugly moments?" Nah. There was some very disjointed offensive play early in the year, but Love never had a terrible game. He never just stunk. By QBR or passer rating or PFF grades, he had only a few below average games, but never so low as to cause concern. His floor is fine. It's established. He is, at worst, a middle tier starting caliber QB in the NFL. That's his floor.

And when you look at his actual cap charge per year (not his average cost), he's not even costing us in the top 10 QB cap charges for any of the next 3 years. I wish we would have done this deal earlier and gotten a slight discount on it--honestly. I wish we would have made him an offer in the final week or two of the regular season like we did in Rodgers' first season as a starter--when he got a big deal in December. I think we could have shaved about $5M/year off the deal if we gave it to him early, when the hype was a little less, the guarantees looked a little more enticing, etc.

But I won't quibble. We paid the market rate. He's getting paid the same as other guys who have a lot to prove, still. And he's locked in for a while. And our offensive weapons are the cheapest in the league and will remain so for at least another year.
Never a terrible stat game but a couple early season games where he looked bad for much of the game. Ironically, I thought his most clutch game was early against the Saints where he really made some great clutch plays and flat out won the game for the Packers. Too bad we didn't get that 4th quarter against the niners. Ultimately I think your right. His floor is high and the Packers would have saved money making a real effort to sign him earlier.
Is the sentence "his floor is high" an oxymoron? Oh well. :thwap:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

This clip is so cool, watching Love share the love with all of his WRs. He's learned a lot about handling the media too

IT. IS. TIME