Judge throws out 4.7 billion suit against NFL

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Judge throws out 4.7 billion suit against NFL

Post by Madcity_matt »

New York
CNN

A California judge threw out a jury verdict ordering the NFL to pay more than $4.7 billion for anti-trust violations surrounding its “Sunday Ticket” package, which lets fans watch games outside of their home markets but required them to buy access to a bundle of games to do so.

The league, America’s most popular source of television programming, vowed to appeal the verdict in June.

In a statement, the NFL said it was “grateful” for the ruling.

“We believe that the NFL’s media distribution model provides our fans with an array of options to follow the game they love, including local broadcasts of every single game on free over-the-air television,” the statement said.

In a court filing Thursday, US District Judge Philip Gutierrez brought up issue with the expert witnesses in the trial.

“The Court agrees that Dr. Rascher’s and Dr. Zona’s testimonies based on their flawed methodologies should be excluded. And because there was no other support for the class-wide injury and damages elements of Plaintiffs’… claims, judgment as a matter of law for the Defendants is appropriate,” the filing said.

The filing also said that “The Court finds that the jury’s damages awards were not based on the ‘evidence and reasonable inferences’ but instead were more akin to ‘guesswork or speculation.’”

The case, first brought in 2015, focused on the NFL’s package of games outside of a local market that are not shown nationally on other networks. Attorneys for the plaintiffs in the class action suit argued that by restricting broadcasts of those “out-of-market” games to the “Sunday Ticket” package, the NFL is forcing customers who just want to watch one team or a small group of teams to pay more.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Frankly kind of agree with this decision.

Especially when the league now offers so many options for teams to be on a national audience and the Sunday Ticket package (on its own) has never been egregious (like over $1,000 for a season)

Even at $500 a season, it ends up being $31 a game or so.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I already posted this in the cheese curds thread

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

wallyuwl wrote:
02 Aug 2024 10:31
I didn't see it before I posted. Curious why you call them a corrupt judge in your post though?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Good decision to throw it out. Dumb lawsuit honestly.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I haven't really cared about this other than the fact that I didn't want the salary cap to be affected for my own selfish reasons, so this is good, I guess.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Well I guess single team streaming is never going to be a thing until there's nothing left of younger audiences.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
02 Aug 2024 10:04

Especially when the league now offers so many options for teams to be on a national audience and the Sunday Ticket package (on its own) has never been egregious (like over $1,000 for a season)

why would you think 500 bucks a season will retain viewers, younger people starting a family can't afford that, surely people making lower mid level income would struggle to, typically football fans also have other hobbies, and financial responsibilities that require that expendable money, 31 bucks a week for football would require eliminating other expenses.

what am I missing :idn:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Madcity_matt wrote:
02 Aug 2024 10:46
wallyuwl wrote:
02 Aug 2024 10:31
I didn't see it before I posted. Curious why you call them a corrupt judge in your post though?
Didn't like jury's ruling so just threw it out. Said he was going to vacate the award jury decided on if he didn't throw whole thing out. Clearly has an agenda.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
02 Aug 2024 11:54
go pak go wrote:

why would you think 500 bucks a season will retain viewers, younger people starting a family can't afford that, surely people making lower mid level income would struggle to, typically football fans also have other hobbies, and financial responsibilities that require that expendable money, 31 bucks a week for football would require eliminating other expenses.

Why would you think my argument was about retaining viewers?

:idn:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Living here in MN, I have subscribed to NFL Ticket for years. That was the only way to insure I could watch every Packer game. I used to get annoyed with the price and I didn't care about all the other games. I can understand some peoples dismay. Now of course I get better use out of it with all fantasy, DFS/wagering I have succumbed to. :)

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Yoop wrote:
02 Aug 2024 11:54
go pak go wrote:

Isn't there a slate of free games every week? Football fans have plenty to watch, and if their own team is only on 4 or 5 times a season, so be it. They can surely watch other matches. Few of us have been brought up able to watch our own team every game they play, and I wouldn't be surprised if the game gets a broader support by not giving cheap options to watch just one team.