Packers Defense - 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

NCF wrote:
08 Aug 2024 09:03
Fantastic X's and O's conversation if you want to learn a little more about the Packers defensive philosophy.
That was illuminating, thx for posting. One of the comments made was about the idea of going back to a 3 safety look, aka the heavy nickle that Capers and others used years ago. I've read similar elsewhere- talking about having McKinney, Bullard and Williams all on the field at the same time and being somewhat interchangeable as a means of disguise. That would mean taking Nixon off the field and replacing him with a Safety, while keeping your 2 outside CBs in Alexander and Stokes. Interesting wrinkles
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

And right on cue, an article from ACME on Safety Evan Williams.
The draft bio and his time in GB so far lend credence to the idea that he's a VERY smart football player

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2024 ... ams-safety

IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

from today's practice

" Probably my favorite moment of any practice so far. Hafley coaching up the corners on press technique. What an absolute master of a teacher.
His ability to be engaging, the technical coaching, and just the energy was amazing. At the end he thanks the DB’s for letting them be a DB coach again - to which Ja fires back - now get out of here Haf. That was 5 minutes of coaching awesomeness."

The best coaches are the best teachers and everything about Hafley says he's an amazing teacher

IT. IS. TIME

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

"A lot of it just comes down to them explaining it; I mean they're just coaching truthfully. Just how well coach Haf explains the 'why' behind certain coverages. It just makes the information a lot more sticky. If you know what we're calling a call for, or what we're looking for in certain calls -- so, yeah, I guess us rookies have been able to pick up pretty quickly and be playmakers out there."
- Packers Safety Evan Williams on DC Hafley's ability to teach his scheme

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Holmie and Vincent T were legendary teachers. As were some of their assistants. Rhodes and Shermie couldn't teach. Bart couldn't either. Vincent had Tunnell. Holmie had Eugene Robinson.
Hafley needs to prove himself.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
08 Aug 2024 16:35
"A lot of it just comes down to them explaining it; I mean they're just coaching truthfully. Just how well coach Haf explains the 'why' behind certain coverages. It just makes the information a lot more sticky. If you know what we're calling a call for, or what we're looking for in certain calls -- so, yeah, I guess us rookies have been able to pick up pretty quickly and be playmakers out there."
- Packers Safety Evan Williams on DC Hafley's ability to teach his scheme
This. These players are adults. They need and want to know the "why." That helps whatever is being taught stick. It also needs to be taught in a way the players can comprehend and implement, and it seems like Haf has that.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

APB wrote:
DC Hafley's ability to teach his scheme
More here, with Hafley's take on playing press coverage- it immediately limits the route tree and gives the smart DB an advantage

IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
08 Aug 2024 22:46
APB wrote:
DC Hafley's ability to teach his scheme
More here, with Hafley's take on playing press coverage- it immediately limits the route tree and gives the smart DB an advantage

my fav coverage was always off man because it gives me a peek at the QB, as well as space to cut off a route, but press has it's rewards too, if ya can't get off the los you wont catch any passes, as a spectator, press is the most fun to watch, use to love watching Tramon Williams frustrate receivers

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

ACME Packing with a 4-3 defensive tutorial for those who enjoy a deeper dive. Very well done descriptions + videos

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2024 ... ronts-2024

I've seen the DL gap-numbering system many times, this is the 1st one I've seen that shows the LB gap numbers too
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BSA wrote:
11 Aug 2024 18:57
ACME Packing with a 4-3 defensive tutorial for those who enjoy a deeper dive. Very well done descriptions + videos

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2024 ... ronts-2024

I've seen the DL gap-numbering system many times, this is the 1st one I've seen that shows the LB gap numbers too
Acme Packer getting too complicated. DL and LB alignment and gab naming differences is just a receipt for disaster.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Here's an article from ACME talking about some of the milestones in reach for Packers DL this year

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2024 ... es-in-2024

"Rashan Gary is just outside the top 10 with 31.5 career sacks, but he could climb pretty high. He only need to pass Bryce Paup’s 32.5 career sacks to jump into the top 10, and a double-digit sack season would get him even with Ezra Johnson at minimum"
IT. IS. TIME

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Would love to hear what the collective braintrust expects out of the Pack's D this season.

I have not really followed developments since the draft and free agency, but from what I can tell there seems to be a lot of optimism over McKinney and the rookie safeties. I was really looking forward to seeing if Cooper is the real deal at ILB, but he seems to be nicked up.

Of course, first year DC Halfley was the most important offseason change.

Genuinely curious, do folks think we will finally have a top 10 D in 2024 or is that too much to expect?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

LombardiTime wrote:
19 Aug 2024 21:54
Would love to hear what the collective braintrust expects out of the Pack's D this season.

I have not really followed developments since the draft and free agency, but from what I can tell there seems to be a lot of optimism over McKinney and the rookie safeties. I was really looking forward to seeing if Cooper is the real deal at ILB, but he seems to be nicked up.

Of course, first year DC Halfley was the most important offseason change.

Genuinely curious, do folks think we will finally have a top 10 D in 2024 or is that too much to expect?
Going from 17th to 10 or better might be a stretch.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

But then again LVN, the defensive line and McKinney will result in something better than a 17th ranking. A healthy #23 is big too.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

I have some questions as it relates to Defensive personnel on the field
When the 2024 Packers Defense is playing nickle, which should be quite often...

How many ILBs are on the field ?
Is it the traditional 4-2-5 with Quay and Cooper ( when he returns) ?

Would the Packers consider sliding Nixon into an ILB role on passing downs ?
Will they roll out a package with Jaire-Stokes-Williams-Bullard-X-man as the 5 DBs ?
Who is on the field in dime ?
Does Hafley utilize a dollar package with 7 DBs ?

MLF mentioned potentially using different D packages when speaking about Safety Evan Williams, intimating their may be nickle plays where Nixon isn't the 3rd DB.

Hafley also talked about the way he teaches his back 7, so that every player knows every role and can switch between them as needed.
This style of teaching D eliminates some of the confusion & adjustments-on-the-fly required to handle all the pre-snap motions and shifts

And lastly, Hafley demands his guys rally to the ball and play 100 mph, so the idea of rotating defenders and keeping them fresh has some merit
IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BSA wrote:
21 Aug 2024 13:37
Hafley also talked about the way he teaches his back 7, so that every player knows every role and can switch between them as needed.
This style of teaching D eliminates some of the confusion & adjustments-on-the-fly required to handle all the pre-snap motions and shifts

And lastly, Hafley demands his guys rally to the ball and play 100 mph, so the idea of rotating defenders and keeping them fresh has some merit
These are the two points I've been most excited about. I want the guys being sure of their role in every snap. Allows them to play faster. Then, play fast as you can from the start. Emphasize speed and rallying to everything.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I hope this defense is half as good as this guy makes me think it’s gonna be. Hafley sounds like he’s the guy. Now go be him.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

APB wrote:
29 Aug 2024 18:41
I hope this defense is half as good as this guy makes me think it’s gonna be. Hafley sounds like he’s the guy. Now go be him.

I'm right there hoping with you APB.

I was convinced that the D had more than enough talent be good 2 years ago, but coaching matters ... a lot. And I was dead wrong.

By God, if we go down, let's go down aggressive on D for the first time in forever.

Halfley give me Spags vibes (and even looks like a younger version of Spags a bit).

When the history of why the Chiefs went to 4 Super Bowls and won 3 with Mahomes at QB (and counting) and the Pack with Rodgers went to just one, I think the parade of lousy DCs in GB will be high on the list of explanations (and yeah, I acknowledge Mahomes is probably better QB than prime Rodgers but last season's SB win was as much or more about the D than it was Patrick).

And don't get me started on the difference between Dave Toub as a STs Coordinator and the quartet of Slocum, Zook, Mennenga, and Drayton. :thwap:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

LombardiTime wrote:
29 Aug 2024 20:01
APB wrote:
29 Aug 2024 18:41

I'm right there hoping with you APB.

I was convinced that the D had more than enough talent be good 2 years ago, but coaching matters ... a lot. And I was dead wrong.

By God, if we go down, let's go down aggressive on D for the first time in forever.

Halfley give me Spags vibes (and even looks like a younger version of Spags a bit).

When the history of why the Chiefs went to 4 Super Bowls and won 3 with Mahomes at QB (and counting) and the Pack with Rodgers went to just one, I think the parade of lousy DCs in GB will be high on the list of explanations (and yeah, I acknowledge Mahomes is probably better QB than prime Rodgers but last season's SB win was as much or more about the D than it was Patrick).

And don't get me started on the difference between Dave Toub as a STs Coordinator and the quartet of Slocum, Zook, Mennenga, and Drayton. :thwap:
JOM, thing is what works against time era offensive schemes, doesn't when offenses change, which makes the Fangio/ Capers schemes obsolete, now that we see more up tempo under neath passing/ running, teams are moving the chains.

so imo it's not so much lousy DC's, it's there out dated schemes, the nfl evolves, once defenses figure out how to limit the ability of a offense, then they change up to something defenses havn't figured out yet, it's the cat and mouse thingie :aok:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

LombardiTime wrote:
29 Aug 2024 20:01
I think that's it. I've felt a sense of familiarity with him, as well, but couldn't put my finger on it. The Spags comparison, relative to attitude and even physical appearance, is a good one. :aok: