2024 Dynasty League

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

How would the waiver wire work then?

Our draft is now earlier, so just claiming we used to open after the draft, while true, is a bit disingenuous.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Aug 2024 17:56

Our draft is now earlier, so just claiming we used to open after the draft, while true, is a bit disingenuous.
No. Like no not at all. Absolutely not. Did you even read it? Like there are two years' worth of schedules posted telling you exactly when this took place a few posts back. I brought the receipts and you still are mischaracterizing the timing based on a mis-remembrance. Don't call me disingenuous when you are provably visibly wrong based on things that I specifically posted to show facts. Sorry this is harshly worded but like what the hell do we have to do here to convince people that the "normal" way we do this is the exact opposite of what you and a couple others mis-remember every year.

The drafts have happened the first week in July and the waivers have opened between mid-July and August 2nd.

Your memory is lying to you. We have been drafting in July and opening waivers right after for half a decade. It has worked just fine and no one has ever been confused or upset. And then every year someone(s) mis-remembers and argues against doing it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Aug 2024 21:01
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Aug 2024 17:56

No. Like no not at all. Absolutely not. Did you even read it? Like there are two years' worth of schedules posted telling you exactly when this took place a few posts back. I brought the receipts and you still are mischaracterizing the timing based on a mis-remembrance. Don't call me disingenuous when you are provably visibly wrong based on things that I specifically posted to show facts. Sorry this is harshly worded but like what the hell do we have to do here to convince people that the "normal" way we do this is the exact opposite of what you and a couple others mis-remember every year.

The drafts have happened the first week in July and the waivers have opened between mid-July and August 2nd.

Your memory is lying to you. We have been drafting in July and opening waivers right after for half a decade. It has worked just fine and no one has ever been confused or upset. And then every year someone(s) mis-remembers and argues against doing it.
Sorry, I didn't mean disingenuous in a bad way, for lack of a better word, more in the vein of it wasn't the whole story. The earliest the draft began in your 3 examples was July 6. We started the draft on June 17th this year. So, as I said the draft is starting earlier, so it isn't apples to apples to just say start it up after the draft.

I am not arguing against doing it. I think it needs to be done right, however.

Back to my original question, how will adding a player work during this period?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Aug 2024 21:15

I think after the initial waiver run it's just free agent open season until week 1

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

mnkcarp wrote:
19 Aug 2024 12:20
Pckfn23 wrote:

I think after the initial waiver run it's just free agent open season until week 1
That is why I ask, because I hate that. It should be waivers run 1 or 2 times each week. Pure free agency for 1.5 months simply means the person who gets the notifications first gets the player.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Aug 2024 12:29
mnkcarp wrote:
19 Aug 2024 12:20
Pckfn23 wrote:

That is why I ask, because I hate that. It should be waivers run 1 or 2 times each week. Pure free agency for 1.5 months simply means the person who gets the notifications first gets the player.
I actually get this argument and it's true. We either should go straight to in-season rules, waivers weekly, free agency open on Wednesday, players lock once they play or, if possible, just run waivers once a week with no free agency until the regular season starts and after roster cutdowns.

Read More. Post Less.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Waivers run as normal 9/1, then FCFS.
When season starts, players games start, they lock until next waiver.

It’s the only way.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

However we do it, it's better than not doing it.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I don't believe it should be FCFS at any point before week 1. Leagues did away with that type of system many moons ago.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Aug 2024 15:59
I don't believe it should be FCFS at any point before week 1. Leagues did away with that type of system many moons ago.
I agree. I don't have to put my phone on instant twitter notifications for every injury message for Schefter or Rappaport, I mean I will if that's what we do, but I don't want to live that way.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

What is FCFS? I assume it's First C First S. I don't think it's First Character First Selection.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Why in the world are we discussing this? It’s been a certain way for like 10 years. Is this the twighlight zone?
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
20 Aug 2024 06:27
Why in the world are we discussing this? It’s been a certain way for like 10 years. Is this the twighlight zone?
JC, does @YoHoChecko have to hit you over the head for this to sink in. We HAVE NOT done it the same way for 10 years. That is the biggest problem in all of this.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Change for next season, Nick has volunteered to take over as commissioner. Which would include writing up by-laws and a schedule that is set in writing that we can follow every year.

I would imagine we would all have to agree on the by-laws, (schedule, waiver rules and times, draft process, etc. etc.), but it would be nice to have this sorted out once and for all so we don't have to have these same discussions every offseason.

This plan has my full support. Yoho is co-commissioner or assistant, or maybe I'm assistant, lol, I'm not sure. So I would want his blessing or perhaps he can jointly work with Nick in whatever capacity they chose.

Thoughts, objections, suggestions?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
20 Aug 2024 09:46
Change for next season, Nick has volunteered to take over as commissioner. Which would include writing up by-laws and a schedule that is set in writing that we can follow every year.

I would imagine we would all have to agree on the by-laws, (schedule, waiver rules and times, draft process, etc. etc.), but it would be nice to have this sorted out once and for all so we don't have to have these same discussions every offseason.

This plan has my full support. Yoho is co-commissioner or assistant, or maybe I'm assistant, lol, I'm not sure. So I would want his blessing or perhaps he can jointly work with Nick in whatever capacity they chose.

Thoughts, objections, suggestions?
It is so wild to me that in the 3ish years where I was more actively co-commissionering it never occurred to me that instead of digging through old threads and copy/pasting the schedule from previous years with slight date alterations, we could write it down somewhere permanently. Ha.

And yeah, I'm game for being a more active co/assistant again. I kinda got hella depressed for like 2 years and dropped the ball here and elsewhere but I think I can be reliable again, haha.

As for the mechanics of how the offseason waiver wire works, I feel like there wasn't a lot of customization options in that, which is why it comes up a lot because we do it the same way but we also don't ever do it exactly like people want because it wasn't a (readily-accessible) option (that I could find).

Also, I THINK (and may be mistaken) that pckfntck's post about how we've done it the same way was in support of earlier waivers and what I have been saying, not in opposition to it.

And while I understand it's a minority opinion, I do still think the "FCFS is bad because it benefits whoever acts fastest" is a really weird way of making "this rule benefits people who try harder and care more" a bad thing, rather than a good thing. I recognize that we all have lives and other things going on, but the whole "player X got injured in camp, race to grab his backup" vibe is exactly what I want in a league. It's fun and chaotic and doesn't always help because sometimes you overreact or drop a guy who turns out better than the backup you just raced to snag or sometimes the injury isn't actually as bad as it appeared.

Again, I recognize this is not how at least 6 of us feel, so no worries. But I really don't understand the complaint that the rules should not be designed to benefit those who are paying closer attention. The whole thing is designed to benefit those who have more attention or skill for football. The whole point (to me) of a dynasty league with deep rosters is the fun of caring about training camp stories that normally wouldn't be on your radar. Picking up a guy who gets three beat writers saying "maybe this guy is something" is FUN. And usually, those guys end up being nobodies. It's a weird gripe to me. I genuinely don't understand seeing those things as downsides. But we live in a free, diverse country of people with different values, so I guess some of you want weekly waivers to arbitrarily make things less fun even when there are no games or weeks in the NFL schedule.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Aug 2024 10:14
I guess some of you want weekly waivers to arbitrarily make things less fun even when there are no games or weeks in the NFL schedule.
I get your point, but the other side is I sit at a computer all day. Some people work real jobs and don't have that ability. I, like you, am totally into finding the hidden gems. That is fun and why I support FCFS after waivers have run each week. What I don't want is the same 2 or 3 people having access to the all the slam dunks. Like if Purdy tears an ACL in preseason game it is so easy for whoever is online to go find SF's back-up and add them. Everyone should have a fair shot at those moves where there would likely be half the league putting in a waiver claim. That is my opinion.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

And while I understand it's a minority opinion, I do still think the "FCFS is bad because it benefits whoever acts fastest" is a really weird way of making "this rule benefits people who try harder and care more" a bad thing, rather than a good thing. I recognize that we all have lives and other things going on, but the whole "player X got injured in camp, race to grab his backup" vibe is exactly what I want in a league. It's fun and chaotic and doesn't always help because sometimes you overreact or drop a guy who turns out better than the backup you just raced to snag or sometimes the injury isn't actually as bad as it appeared.
I am sorry, but this is a COMPLETELY &%$@ perspective and you know it. It doesn't benefit those who try harder, it benefits those who have access to their phones during the day. Perfect example is JJ McCarthy news breaking of his out for season surgery. The person who has access to a phone and gets the notification goes in and adds the new Vikings #2. It has nothing to do with trying harder...

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Aug 2024 11:21
I am sorry, but this is a COMPLETELY &%$@ perspective and you know it. It doesn't benefit those who try harder, it benefits those who have access to their phones during the day. Perfect example is JJ McCarthy news breaking of his out for season surgery. The person who has access to a phone and gets the notification goes in and adds the new Vikings #2. It has nothing to do with trying harder...
I agree with your point. Although I don't feel a need to yell and swear at yoho for having a different opinion. But it isn't a skill talent, just an obsession and availability talent. I want the biggest deciding factor on winning and losing in the league to come down to how we are doing our rookie drafting, putting in months of work studying the draft and the offseason. Not who can click buttons 15 seconds faster on a random Wednesday afternoon in August.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
20 Aug 2024 12:44
Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Aug 2024 11:21
I agree with your point. Although I don't feel a need to yell and swear at yoho for having a different opinion. But it isn't a skill talent, just an obsession and availability talent. I want the biggest deciding factor on winning and losing in the league to come down to how we are doing our rookie drafting, putting in months of work studying the draft and the offseason. Not who can click buttons 15 seconds faster on a random Wednesday afternoon in August.
Yes. I apologize for the intro sentence @YoHoChecko. My frustration lies in the fact that there are a few that simply want to tilt the rules towards themselves who can devote an inordinate amount of time toward fantasy. This is a prime example of that. Teams went away from the FCFS free agent system because it led to disadvantages for those not online 24/7. Same goes for things like moving up the draft and such. Hopefully we can set things in stone. I will fight hard against the FCFS free agency starting from the end of the draft until week 1.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Aug 2024 14:02
I will fight hard against the FCFS free agency starting from the end of the draft until week 1.
I don't think anyone wants that. Two issues to sort through. Waivers only during the offseason (after the draft) or in-season schedule where it is FCFS until a team plays their preseason game that week. The second is what does Fleaflicker allow, because none of us have enough time to police a manual process so we are at the site's mercy, a bit, there.

Read More. Post Less.