Cuts and stuff

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Of all the guys we released, King is the only one I'm actually, like concerned someone else might grab him and we lose him.

DuBose and Pratt very well may have futures in this league if developed and given opportunity (and it still might come with us if here), but those are positions where the roster is pretty set so oh well.

But King as a viable nickel alternative if/when Nixon leaves or gets injured or gets benched... that was something I thought was too valuable to risk.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

That sucks about Dillon.

RB room seems like a clear downgrade from last season.

Just not a believer in Jacobs yet but that could quickly change

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Half Empty wrote:
27 Aug 2024 15:30
Drj820 wrote:
27 Aug 2024 15:27
Dillon gotta be one of the worst second round picks in packers history!!
...in the eye of the beholder, but

https://www.packersdraft.com/round/2.html
There is another tier of busts below Dillon, IMO. Dillon was at least an okay player through his rookie contract, which is a lot more than can be said for some of those guys. Definitely Gute's worst Round 2 pick, second only to Josh Jackson.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Feel like this should have been given more consideration. Any time neck or spine and second time are in the same sentence it is never good.

Read More. Post Less.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Half Empty wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

1978 :shock: :lol:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
27 Aug 2024 15:45
Feel like this should have been given more consideration. Any time neck or spine and second time are in the same sentence it is never good.
I wondered about it but let the lack of media consideration and discussion of it assuage my doubts without ever voicing them. I figured with how connected Dillon is with the community, this is the kind of thing that reporters would know about but on background and not be able to "report" it but would have whispers about it informing their conversations.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Pretty surprised they kept Oladapo and Anderson - hope neither has to ever play in the secondary. Would have rather kept Welch. Quay and McDuffie are frequently injured.

King was not that great. He was a willing tackler but that was about it.

What was Tyler Davis year long injury for the second year in a row?

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Half Empty wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Spriggs was worst, possibly Brohm. And I am demonstrating humility by admitting that because I was an absolute Spriggs advocate during that draft.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I wish I was Tyler Davis.

Go through a few practices before it gets too hot, get injured, get paid rest of the season (2 years running) for doing nothing.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I cannot make sense of having core STers in Anderson and Welch and not letting defensive acumen be a tie-breaker between the two.

It's almost like they gave Rich discretion to pick one STer of his own without any consideration to play from scrimmage

None of this really matters. It's like the value of a 7th round pick. But I can't imagine some of these close call difficult cut guys getting a look at the final roster and seeing Zayne Anderson's name on the final list over them and not breaking whatever is closest to them.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Feel like Josh Jacobs fantasy value just went up. Incumbent back to IR, 3rd round rookie hurt all TC and preseason, just a 2nd year UDRFA who's gunna be healthy up to speed.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Aug 2024 15:50
NCF wrote:
27 Aug 2024 15:45
I wondered about it but let the lack of media consideration and discussion of it assuage my doubts without ever voicing them. I figured with how connected Dillon is with the community, this is the kind of thing that reporters would know about but on background and not be able to "report" it but would have whispers about it informing their conversations.
I blame blogger Andy
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
27 Aug 2024 15:42
Half Empty wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

There is another tier of busts below Dillon, IMO. Dillon was at least an okay player through his rookie contract, which is a lot more than can be said for some of those guys. Definitely Gute's worst Round 2 pick, second only to Josh Jackson.
See, there are guys that contributed way less and never even got on the field probably!! But they were most likely swings at premium positions. What shoots Dillon to the top of the bust rankings is that he was:

1) The second backup drafted in two picks lol. Like he was drafted to take off right now! To replace Jones, and he busted out on that transition plan.
2) he’s a running back! You can find em in the 4th or 7th or at wal mart! Drafting in second implied he should be a pro bowler!

And by the way, speaking of busts, Jordan Love is the only player left on the team from the entire 2020 draft class.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

texas wrote:
27 Aug 2024 15:48
Half Empty wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

1978 :shock: :lol:
72 Chester Marcol 34th pick. :bkw:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Over the years I have very much noticed our perception of the team during the preseason is VERY much colored by the beat reporters. They do tend to group think more lately than was the case in the past. They will latch onto certain players during this period and really push the perception that they are better or worse than they are and/or the coaches think they are. Other than preseason games or going to practice ourselves, we have no real exposure to these guys that doesn't come from the beat reporters. So, me personally, I don't get too tied in knots over the bottom 7 or 8 guys.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
27 Aug 2024 16:14
Feel like Josh Jacobs fantasy value just went up. Incumbent back to IR, 3rd round rookie hurt all TC and preseason, just a 2nd year UDRFA who's gunna be healthy up to speed.
Oh yeah. And I ate up all the Jacobs fantasy value last weekend. I think he’s gonna be my Saquan Barkley value from 2 years ago and he’s everyone thought he was done and he smashes.

I think if Jacobs is healthy is an easy 50+ catch and double digit TD machine.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Useful general information about how things work and specific information about how AJ Dillon hits the cap

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Aug 2024 08:55
Oh wow the kicker news right out of the gate! (reportedly)

I was hoping Jones would show improvement when he returned form injury but he consistently moved down the depth chart once he started practicing, not up. So no surprise there.

And Toure is also not surprising. He's a guy; and by that I mean Just A Guy, not A GUY. He's got a chance to be a useful WR5/6/STer in the league but he pretty much stayed what he was and didn't improve or develop into anything more. Never understood why so many fans thought he was more than that, but glad we finally have good enough WRs that we can see it. 8-)
I hoped he would grow some as he did have some stuff to work with, but he never looked like he was going to be more than just someone you could put out there if you had to. I remember him being a big part of an INT with Rodgers at QB and then the next year it was the same exact thing with Love and another INT. I remember thinking, he still hasn't learned.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I didn't participate much in rank the roster this year, but my "Toure is being way overrated here" arguments last year were pretty fun.

I did, though, say I could see him developing into Adam Thielan as his upside career trajectory. So it's not like I think he stunk. I just thought he was a guy who could use a PS stint and then could develop into someone who is savvy and quick enough to thrive as a possession guy, but otherwise, he's just a guy. So I do see where people could see upside (which never really materialized). I just didn't see why anyone saw anything more right away.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
27 Aug 2024 15:58
I wish I was Tyler Davis.

Go through a few practices before it gets too hot, get injured, get paid rest of the season (2 years running) for doing nothing.
I'd be very surprised if Davis doesn't get released with an injury settlement. This is year number 2 for a borderline #4 TE. No real reason to keep him unless his injury is truly bad enough that warrants being out for the full season (which I don't think is the case).
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.