Cheese Curds - News Around the League 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Sep 2024 21:21
I don't wanna be a $%@# but in no way should a football game be delayed several minutes because an old man tripped and fell on the sidelines. Give the medical attention and whatnot, but the game need not be paused. He's on the sideline. Move on.
This scene from earlier in the day probably had something to do with it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah I almost clarified that I was talking about the bears Texans not the ravens raiders.

But a fully conscious old man tripping and falling is VERY different than someone collapsing and needing chest compressions. Absolutely stop the game if life is on the line.

But the night game delay was absurd.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Sep 2024 11:15
Yeah I almost clarified that I was talking about the bears Texans not the ravens raiders.

But a fully conscious old man tripping and falling is VERY different than someone collapsing and needing chest compressions. Absolutely stop the game if life is on the line.

But the night game delay was absurd.
I don't disagree. Just pointing out the earlier incident likely contributed to the abundance of attention with the latter.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

No TD passes through two games for Caleb Williams, Bo Nix, and Jaden Daniels.

Can we normalize benching rookie QBs again? Have the Packers not shown the benefits? What are these guys even doing out there? They are completely lost playing schoolyard ball taking a zillion hits and not developing any fundamentals or mechanics.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I just wanna save this post here, for now, until the Titans GDT is active...

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Sep 2024 13:19

Can we normalize benching rookie QBs again? Have the Packers not shown the benefits? What are these guys even doing out there? They are completely lost playing schoolyard ball taking a zillion hits and not developing any fundamentals or mechanics.
No let the league do its thing and ruin QBs and let us keep doing our thing and have a 100% hit rate on our 1st round quarterbacks.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:

Relatedly, the Carolina staff now agrees your post as it relates to their sophomore QB.

...although the Texans would have you pack sand. ;)

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I will never in all my years understand how the whole draft world including the teams talked themselves out of a prototypical QB with the game film Stroud put against UGA and the arm talent to make every throw and into a 5'10" game manager with moderate/middling arm talent. It was the weirdest turn of events I could imagine. I was Stroud for QB1 his entire senior season and even kore so in the run up.

And yeah, occasionally, you get a guy who plays competently as a rookie and Stroud played more than competently down the stretch. These random, rare exceptions become the rule for so many franchises when the MUCH safer route is to make everyone wait a year and then let them sink or swim from there on. Yes, you need snaps and reps to improve--Love showed that. But you have to at least have the baseline ability to play at an NFL level before getting tossed in there, and these guys just don't. Almost no one does. It's an atrocious use of resources every year.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yeah never understood the Bryce Young hype. I mean if he was gonna make it he would have to be such an outlier. Even Kyler Murray. He’s a fine QB but these guys don’t survive and you have to make such a niche offense for them because their lack of vision.

Why you wouldn’t take the prototypical size at QB is beyond me. I would have taken Richardson 1st, Stroud 2nd, and I wouldn’t have even touched Young being that small.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

YoHoChecko wrote:

They really should, but some teams need to sell tickets. :idn:

What they really should do is to sit them now that the early ticket-selling frenzy is over, and the rookie QBs and fans have gotten a brutal wake up call.
No point in throwing them out there for the 1st season long run.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
16 Sep 2024 14:07
YoHoChecko wrote:

What they really should do is to sit them now that the early ticket-selling frenzy is over, and the rookie QBs and fans have gotten a brutal wake up call.
I have no idea what this even means.

I hear it all the time. "They need to sell tickets."

Bruh, going 2-15 doesn't sell tickets. It's bad football AND it's bad business. It makes no sense. There is no incentive to break except impatience. That's it. Nothing else. Not a single thing in the entire franchise benefits from washing out an unprepared QB for everyone to see. Plus revenue sharing lets the owners profit even when their own team stinks. One offseason of selling some extra suites is not going to move anyone's medium-term bottom line. It's just dumb. The excuses don't even make sense.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Sep 2024 13:47
I will never in all my years understand how the whole draft world including the teams talked themselves out of a prototypical QB with the game film Stroud put against UGA and the arm talent to make every throw and into a 5'10" game manager with moderate/middling arm talent. It was the weirdest turn of events I could imagine. I was Stroud for QB1 his entire senior season and even kore so in the run up.
Ohio State QB. I was guilty of doubting Stroud for that very reason. Same thing that happened, in some regards, with Aaron Rodgers being a Tedford product.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Sep 2024 14:15
salmar80 wrote:
16 Sep 2024 14:07
YoHoChecko wrote:

I have no idea what this even means.

I hear it all the time. "They need to sell tickets."

Bruh, going 2-15 doesn't sell tickets. It's bad football AND it's bad business. It makes no sense. There is no incentive to break except impatience. That's it. Nothing else. Not a single thing in the entire franchise benefits from washing out an unprepared QB for everyone to see. Plus revenue sharing lets the owners profit even when their own team stinks. One offseason of selling some extra suites is not going to move anyone's medium-term bottom line. It's just dumb. The excuses don't even make sense.
I get what you're saying, but teams that were bad last season have a window from whenever they're out of the playoffs until early next season to sell one thing: Hope.

That's why the draft business is so big. Fans of bad teams turn to the draft and the hope for the future real early. They may spend 3/4 or more of the entire year not being competitive, just dreaming of the future.

Thus when their GM picks a dream QB, fans would riot if they wouldn't get to see their hope on the field. It's a vicious cycle, for sure. Ain't good for the QB, ain't good for the long term.

For the short term, you sell those tickets and hope. For the owners of teams, they'd like to be liked. Give the fans what they want.

That's weak, but I dunno what to say. Other teams shoulda, by now, seen our model and it's success. I frankly can't come up with anything better than the pressure for the short term overpowering the wisdom of the long term for many team owners.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
16 Sep 2024 14:39
YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Sep 2024 13:47
Ohio State QB. I was guilty of doubting Stroud for that very reason. Same thing that happened, in some regards, with Aaron Rodgers being a Tedford product.
I don't know how to respond to this without being just unfathomably rude because while I know it was a common thing, it's genuinely the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Even dumber than the Tedford thing because at least that was a common coaching scheme and specific fundamentals that have to be altered. Scouting the helmet when looking for the most important position in the NFL is dumb.

But it's especially dumb for the context of this conversation because look at ALABAMA QBS! They're all terrible except Hurts. People are like "Sure Stroud made elite throws and had outstanding pocket presence and ideal size, but he's a system guy because his WRs are great and he played at Ohio St.... Meanwhile, the 5'10" ball distributor from a system that has had an endless parade of mediocre ball distributors win national championships due to defense, elite OL play, and disciplined overall team play--HE's really got "it."

The whole thing was absurd. It was like the whole world collectively took psychadelics before evaluating the QBs.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Bama was on a run with QBs. They had Tua and Hurts who were looking promising while the jury was out Mac Jones. OSU had an awful run of pro QBs that weren’t even sniffing competent backup status.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YohoChecko wrote:I don't know how to respond to this without being just unfathomably rude because while I know it was a common thing, it's genuinely the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Even dumber than the Tedford thing because at least that was a common coaching scheme and specific fundamentals that have to be altered. Scouting the helmet when looking for the most important position in the NFL is dumb.
You didn't succeed.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
16 Sep 2024 15:05
YohoChecko wrote:I don't know how to respond to this without being just unfathomably rude because while I know it was a common thing, it's genuinely the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Even dumber than the Tedford thing because at least that was a common coaching scheme and specific fundamentals that have to be altered. Scouting the helmet when looking for the most important position in the NFL is dumb.
You didn't succeed.
I didn't say I was trying! I said I didn't know how

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Peter Schraeger was on Cowturd today saying jets don’t need rodgers to get them in perfect play and run the playclock down to zero, just run the play.

I chuckled.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

holy crap this game went from a lock for the eagles to the Flacons for a potential go-ahead TD so quickly!

Barkley drops a gimme little pass in the flats to run out the clock. Settle for a FG. And the Falcons just chunk right down the field with absolutely no resistance whatsoever. I mean Joe Barry-esque 2-minute drill.

OMG A 48-yard XP for the win because of unsportsmanlike conduct!! And it's GOOD

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

image.png
image.png (25.49 KiB) Viewed 72 times