Here's Johnny Week 2 Corral the Colts!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I have to go Willis. Anyone who takes a snap with vomit on the ball and keeps it himself instead of trying to give it to a teammate or throw it to the Colts bench is #1 in my book. Plus he did what Lafleur asked him to do. I'm pretty sure he saw some defenses where he would have loved to throw deep but he kept to the game plan. The 3rd Quarter of -7 rushing yards kills it for the O-line for me.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Willis definitely an honorable mention, but we didn't task him with much. I don't want to fully give it to a guy who we say should because he didn't try to do too much and just played within the offense.

Wyatt honorable mention with the only sack of the game and a TFL.

The reasons against the offensive line are big enough for me not to vote for them. The Colts completely sold out to stop the run in the 2nd half. It's the reason 11 of Willis' 14 passes came in the 2nd half. The holding on Walker was ticky tack and the 2 illegal men down field penalties were solely on poor timing of 2 screens. 0 sacks, 53 rushes for 261 yards, 4.9/carry.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Sep 2024 19:12
O Line for me. When you go 250 on ground they did a good job.
I'll go OLine as well. Malik was comfortable most of the day and the running game really ticked. I'm wondering if all this happened mostly because the Colts defense is inept ?????

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I don't care if he didn't do that much, the number of comments pre-game that suggested we'd see Sean Clifford in this one tells you all you need to know about the expectations going into this. I thought Willis was flawless and that goes beyond the stat sheet.

The OL was good, but I give WAY more credit for their performance to LaFleur and Steno for scheming up that 1st half. That was a masterclass in run game coordination.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
16 Sep 2024 08:26
I don't care if he didn't do that much, the number of comments pre-game that suggested we'd see Sean Clifford in this one tells you all you need to know about the expectations going into this. I thought Willis was flawless and that goes beyond the stat sheet.

The OL was good, but I give WAY more credit for their performance to LaFleur and Steno for scheming up that 1st half. That was a masterclass in run game coordination.
we lost Morgan in 2nd half, still when the Colts finally decided to focus to stop the run after half time the OL no longer was able to open as many run lanes, that group sure did a great job in the first half.
OL, Jacobs, Bullard, Wyatt, all did well, but Willis basically was perfect, we didn't have to ask him to win this game, but he made sure we didn't lose it either, couple nice runs, and key passes, I have to give him the nod this week.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Some of the O-lineman we've been critical of really stepped it up yesterday. None of Jacobs nor Willis' success would have been possible without these guys balling out.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Oline dominated so they get my vote.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Impressive

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

O Line for me. Honorable mention to Willis

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
16 Sep 2024 11:59
Impressive

is it? we hardly dropped back to pass, our run ability caused those rushers to first honor the run ability, that goes for Willis too, his ability forces lbers to hold those zones.

same way we've asked Gary and Smith to contain versus just blindly rushing.

Willis was near flawless for 60 minutes, I doubt we averaged 4 yrds a carry in the 2nd half, once the Colts went heavy to stop the run our blocking was not opening many run lanes, jmo.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pass blocking isn’t very impressive to me considering the amount of quick passes and lack of overall drop backs in general. But the run blocking more than deserves is praise.

When you run like that it’s a mindset and a statement. It says we are going to get in the defenses ass like a gerbil and there’s nothing you can do about it.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Sep 2024 13:59
Pass blocking isn’t very impressive to me considering the amount of quick passes and lack of overall drop backs in general. But the run blocking more than deserves is praise.

When you run like that it’s a mindset and a statement. It says we are going to get in the defenses ass like a gerbil and there’s nothing you can do about it.
But they actually did do something about it, there the worst run defending team in the league and basically shut us down in the 2nd half, we made a huge statement in 1st half, in the 2nd, not so much

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
16 Sep 2024 14:08
lupedafiasco wrote:

But they actually did do something about it, there the worst run defending team in the league and basically shut us down in the 2nd half, we made a huge statement in 1st half, in the 2nd, not so much
Yeah I think the 2nd half play calling is still the only real thing that puts a bad taste in my mouth. The Colts played a Bear front defense the second half. I just felt like we could have exploited that with either a shot play, play action, screen pass, or some 8 yard passes down the field with great ability for YAC.

But the Packers only did a play action pass (not on 3rd down) I believe one time and we completed it to Doubs over the middle.

I look at the lack of run game in the 2nd half more of a play calling thing than an execution thing.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
16 Sep 2024 14:13
Yoop wrote:
16 Sep 2024 14:08
lupedafiasco wrote:

Yeah I think the 2nd half play calling is still the only real thing that puts a bad taste in my mouth. The Colts played a Bear front defense the second half. I just felt like we could have exploited that with either a shot play, play action, screen pass, or some 8 yard passes down the field with great ability for YAC.

But the Packers only did a play action pass (not on 3rd down) I believe one time and we completed it to Doubs over the middle.

I look at the lack of run game in the 2nd half more of a play calling thing than an execution thing.
yep, they closed those A and B gaps, as good as Jacobs was running they shut him down in the 2nd half, we came out in the 3rd Quarter doing the same stuff we had in the 1st half, with no success, he had to allow Willis to throw.

I have seen no stat sheets, so this is from memory, but I think Morgan played most of the first half, and Rhyan, the 2nd, and that Morgan's shoulder was acting up, hope that improves, anyway if that info is correct, then how many yrds did Jacobs have running behind those two RG's?

I hate when Lafleur becomes conservative with a lead, which I think is your point, at least thats how it looks to me, just seems like we take our foot off the gas, but then Willis is so inexperienced ya take the path of least risk, it was a great win, a confidence builder, we know how good we can be.

I look at it like this, with Love, and that running attack, Willis would have played the whole 2nd half anyway, Lafleur is not the type of coach that would just mercilessly run up the score on a hapless Colt team :rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I don't want my position to be extremely skewed. I don't fault MLF for getting conservative. I completely understand why he did what he did.

I just would have preferred maybe 3 run plays ran in the 2nd half on 1st and 2nd down to be play action, screen, or a quick crosser over the middle rather than run after run. I also would have preferred one more shot play.

I am literally only talking about giving Malike maybe 2 - 4 plays in the 2nd half to be a pass on 1st and/or 2nd down (preferably 1st down) rather than run into a wall because the Colts were playing the run so hard that I think there was sweet opportunity to throw the ball.

I also think the Packers will need to play a bit different in TEN as we won't see the same 1st half run success that we did in this game. We are going to have to have some pass concepts.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
16 Sep 2024 15:59
I don't want my position to be extremely skewed. I don't fault MLF for getting conservative. I completely understand why he did what he did.

I just would have preferred maybe 3 run plays ran in the 2nd half on 1st and 2nd down to be play action, screen, or a quick crosser over the middle rather than run after run. I also would have preferred one more shot play.

I am literally only talking about giving Malike maybe 2 - 4 plays in the 2nd half to be a pass on 1st and/or 2nd down (preferably 1st down) rather than run into a wall because the Colts were playing the run so hard that I think there was sweet opportunity to throw the ball.

I also think the Packers will need to play a bit different in TEN as we won't see the same 1st half run success that we did in this game. We are going to have to have some pass concepts.
Agree with everything, Tenn will prepare for the run better I think, the stretch runs when successful as they where just gets those LBers going lateral and opens those interior gaps for Jacobs.

again, how much did Morgan's play have to do with the 1st half right side runs, my memory says he and Tom dominated that side? but I don't see it as well and havn't replayed yet. I was so impressed with our ability to run in the first half, hell I can't remember when it's ever look that good in many years, heck all the way back to the Horn and Taylor days, just awesome.

agree we'll need a little more balance against Teen. more screens, I'am always risky of interior crossing routes, doubly so with a puppy QB, I thought we'd see the short hitch and curl routes Doubs and Reed do so well, a over the top shot or two to Watson makes sense

I think Willis will play another week, the best way to improve run blocking, is to run more, not less, we know we can pass protect pretty well, might as well practice run blocking more

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Willis. Because he 'will(ed) us' to win.

Did not expect much from him and he far Exceeded my expectations. The best we could ask for is no mistakes and make a play here or there. He did that. Not easy with only 3 weeks in to a new system, new teammates, and new receivers. And only a week prep for taking over the reigns. I know they were working in footwork and not necessarily focusing on the scheme.

Our offense is complex and built on quick timing routes. It is a huge ask for him to step in there. I know the playbook was altered for Willis, to make it easier, but he handled everything he was asked to do. I think they will ask him to do even more next week. His running is an aspect we don't have (or want) with Love. I liked what I saw and think he will be here for a few seasons.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I saw this and had to bring it

The Packers had over 100 rushing yards a little over nine minutes into the first quarter, and in the first 15 minutes Green Bay rushed for 164 yards on 20 carries. Those 164 rushing yards were the most any team has had in the first quarter of a game since the Denver Broncos had 167 rushing yards in the first quarter of a game in 2011.

best run quarter of any team for 13 years.

we came out stretching them laterally, almost every other run was a stretch run, that got there defense biting on every front side run, leaving cut back lanes open, and we gashed them, my point is to keep doing that.

now the Colts may not be a good run defense, but none really are when they lack success stopping stretch runs, the ability to do that forces the defense to honor it, naturally making it weaker inside, I'd like to see another heavy dose of Reed and Jacobs bouncing them out and wearing that Titan defense out.

great to have success at so many positions, OL, Willis, Jacobs, Bullard, Wilson, I know I'am leaving some out deserve game balls.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Yoop wrote:
18 Sep 2024 12:12
I saw this and had to bring it

The Packers had over 100 rushing yards a little over nine minutes into the first quarter, and in the first 15 minutes Green Bay rushed for 164 yards on 20 carries. Those 164 rushing yards were the most any team has had in the first quarter of a game since the Denver Broncos had 167 rushing yards in the first quarter of a game in 2011.

best run quarter of any team for 13 years.

we came out stretching them laterally, almost every other run was a stretch run, that got there defense biting on every front side run, leaving cut back lanes open, and we gashed them, my point is to keep doing that.

now the Colts may not be a good run defense, but none really are when they lack success stopping stretch runs, the ability to do that forces the defense to honor it, naturally making it weaker inside, I'd like to see another heavy dose of Reed and Jacobs bouncing them out and wearing that Titan defense out.

great to have success at so many positions, OL, Willis, Jacobs, Bullard, Wilson, I know I'am leaving some out deserve game balls.
Now put Love in there with his passing production from the end of last year. Man, when we get running on all cylinders, we will be potent!