Week 3 (other) Games

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Sep 2024 19:54
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
24 Sep 2024 16:30
Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Sep 2024 13:39
Not opinion, facts.

I bring it up so that we can talk about these subjects without having to needlessly debate the factual definitions. I would love to talk about why we see some of those things, but not if we have to go down the rabbit hole first.
Whoa, hold on there! I'm gonna need you to define "rabbit hole" before we go any further. Are we talkin' North American rabbit holes, or European rabbit holes? And where does Bug Bunny fit into this? :dunno:
I guess we are down there regardless of the species...
you just took it there, Encyclopedia :thwap:

According to Merriam-Webster, up-tempo means having a fast-moving tempo. For example, you might describe music as up-tempo if it has a fast beat. You can also use the term to describe a style of basketball that is aggressive and fast-moving. (football)

no mention of up tempo being strictly a term for no huddle, nor was I referencing it in that manor, mostly that I expect to see more hurry up offense in the league, because I'am convinced it does help protect the QB.

you turned a simple conversation into a drawn out back and forth because that is what you always do, sigh

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
25 Sep 2024 06:14
no mention of up tempo being strictly a term for no huddle, nor was I referencing it in that manor, mostly that I expect to see more hurry up offense in the league, because I'am convinced it does help protect the QB.
It's just not what that means.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
25 Sep 2024 09:00
Yoop wrote:
It's just not what that means.

excuse me for not having my football dictionary for every comment I make, I think the webster definition is what ya'll new I meant, however then ya wouldn't be able to be tribal and twist up my opinion, which is exactly what 23 did. :thwap:
Last edited by Yoop on 25 Sep 2024 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
According to Merriam-Webster, up-tempo means having a fast-moving tempo. For example, you might describe music as up-tempo if it has a fast beat. You can also use the term to describe a style of basketball that is aggressive and fast-moving. (football)

Yes, hurry-up and up-tempo are synonymous. They have to do with pace of play and getting in as many plays as possible. It has little to do with how quickly the QB gets rid of the ball.

Up-tempo almost always includes no huddle - https://footballfilmroom.substack.com/p ... e-up-tempo

I agree with you that a quick passing offense does protect the QB, but that is not an up-tempo offense.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Sep 2024 09:17
Yoop wrote:

Yes, hurry-up and up-tempo are synonymous. They have to do with pace of play and getting in as many plays as possible. It has little to do with how quickly the QB gets rid of the ball.

Up-tempo almost always includes no huddle - https://footballfilmroom.substack.com/p ... e-up-tempo

I agree with you that a quick passing offense does protect the QB, but that is not an up-tempo offense.
never meant no huddle, to me up tempo means exactly what web defined it as, speeding up the play, some guy/coach termed it no huddle in the football sense of it and it stuck, but that is not the true definition of the word.

your a walking football encyclopedia :clap:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
25 Sep 2024 09:11
ya wouldn't be able to be tribal and twist up my opinion, which is exactly what you and 23 did.
At least tell me you watched that video and appreciated the humor.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
25 Sep 2024 09:25
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

never meant no huddle, to me up tempo means exactly what web defined it as, speeding up the play, some guy/coach termed it no huddle in the football sense of it and it stuck, but that is not the true definition of the word.

The web did not define it as speeding up the play as it is happening. Up tempo, in American football, has always meant speeding up the pace and getting in as many plays as effectively possible. This is a 100% across the board accepted definition. No huddle pretty much has to happen to play an up tempo offense or else the benefits of up tempo (getting in more play and catching the defense in a personnel group) aren't there.

If we are going to talk about up tempo, great, but we can't do that if you believe it is one thing and the rest of the football world believe it is another.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
25 Sep 2024 09:27
Yoop wrote:
25 Sep 2024 09:11
ya wouldn't be able to be tribal and twist up my opinion, which is exactly what you and 23 did.
At least tell me you watched that video and appreciated the humor.
I did, and I laughed, thank you. :aok:

I also deleted YOU in that post, I was seeing red at the time, and later realized you were simply saying both of us might be right.

seriously, I don't keep up with all this football jargon, the football pundits create new names for old stuff every day, I can't and don't bother to keep up, no huddle is what I see, but it surely doesn't encompass the true meaning of the term HURRY UP.

my point was, and it's just my opinion, that teams will use more hurry up type schemes to protect these 220 million dollar investments, but we'll see.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Sep 2024 09:36
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

The web did not define it as speeding up the play as it is happening. Up tempo, in American football, has always meant speeding up the pace and getting in as many plays as effectively possible. This is a 100% across the board accepted definition. No huddle pretty much has to happen to play an up tempo offense or else the benefits of up tempo (getting in more play and catching the defense in a personnel group) aren't there.

If we are going to talk about up tempo, great, but we can't do that if you believe it is one thing and the rest of the football world believe it is another.
To be fair, up-tempo could also include Aaron Rodgers actually huddling up the offense, lining them up, and then snapping the ball with, say, 10 seconds remaining on the play clock rather than the customary 0. He’d not only be speeding up play, he’d also likely catch the defense sleeping thinking they had another 10 seconds of watching him bark out fake calls, WRs exhausting themselves while aimlessly running back and forth in motion, and the HC running down the sideline preparing to call a timeout should he mistime his customary play clock bleed off down to zero.

Up tempo. Just sayin’…

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

no huddle, and up tempo are completely different things, and web did point that out, so stop telling me what the definition is for UP TEMPO, it can mean the speed up of snap, and until the ball is out of the QB's hand, which was exactly the point I was attempting to make, you got so caught up with defining the football terms you didn't even take time to understand my point.

Up tempo, in American football, has always meant speeding up the pace, yep, and it means that whether we huddle or we don't huddle. everything else you added in that sentence is optional.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
25 Sep 2024 10:01
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

To be fair, up-tempo could also include Aaron Rodgers actually huddling up the offense, lining them up, and then snapping the ball with, say, 10 seconds remaining on the play clock rather than the customary 0. He’d not only be speeding up play, he’d also likely catch the defense sleeping thinking they had another 10 seconds of watching him bark out fake calls, WRs exhausting themselves while aimlessly running back and forth in motion, and the HC running down the sideline preparing to call a timeout should he mistime his customary play clock bleed off down to zero.

Up tempo. Just sayin’…
In a more specific sense, yes, absolutely. It would be up tempo, for them. When talking about running an up tempo offense in general, it is as I describe.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 25 Sep 2024 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
25 Sep 2024 10:06
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

no huddle, and up tempo are completely different things, and web did point that out,
No huddle and up tempo are 2 different concepts, but up tempo almost always includes no huddle. Where did "web" point out any differently?
so stop telling me what the definition is for UP TEMPO, it can mean the speed up of snap, and until the ball is out of the QB's hand, which was exactly the point I was attempting to make,
No, it is not the latter. Up tempo does not refer to how fast the QB gets the ball out of his hand.
you got so caught up with defining the football terms you didn't even take time to understand my point.
I did take time to understand your point, several times. I even gave you the term you were describing (quick passing game) and told you I agree that the quick passing game helps protect the QB.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We go through this every year... Up tempo DOES NOT mean quick passes.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Sep 2024 10:33
UP tempo means what webster said it is, speeding things up, and that can include no huddle, Huddle, whatever, you can do no huddle and also use every tick on the clock, or you can huddle, and out the ball from the QB in 1 (one ) tick.

just stop your insane idea that everything has to mean whatever you say it means, you destroyed simple conversation by being a jerk. :thwap: thats what we go through every year

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
25 Sep 2024 11:30
Pckfn23 wrote:
UP tempo means what webster said it is, speeding things up, and that can include no huddle, Huddle, whatever, you can do no huddle and also use every tick on the clock, or you can huddle, and out the ball from the QB in 1 (one ) tick.

just stop your insane idea that everything has to mean whatever you say it means, you destroyed simple conversation by being a jerk. :thwap: thats what we go through every year
Up Tempo does not mean how fast the QB gets the ball out of his hand. It never has and never will and not even "web" or "dicitonary" or "webster" say otherwise. Only yoop believes differently. Maybe that should show you who is insane...
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 25 Sep 2024 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

We do this every year multiple times a year. Yoops gonna believe what he wants to believe. Just gotta move on.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Yeah, language and communication tends to work best when people mean the same thing with a word or term.

But yoop has decided that his own definition of "up tempo", while different from EVERYONE ELSE'S use of the term, is the right one.

I mean, I kinda understand his confusion/definition: On a quick pass, a QB has an internal clock that should tell him to get rid of the pass quickly. Kinda like that internal clock would have....a faster tempo, "up tempo" if you will, than a usual internal clock on a non-quick pass.

In a different universe, that COULD conceivably be called "up tempo". Unfortunately for yoop, in this one we inhabit, it just isn't. It's just called a quick pass or getting rid of the ball quickly.

In this universe, "up tempo" means to run an offense that tries to go fast from play-to-play, spending as little time between the end of one play to the next snap as possible, and it has nothing to do with a QB's internal clock or time from snap to pass.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

According to Merriam-Webster, up-tempo means having a fast-moving tempo. For example, you might describe music as up-tempo if it has a fast beat. You can also use the term to describe a style of basketball that is aggressive and fast-moving.

the term no huddle isn't mentioned anywhere with the webster definition, not anywhere, this isn't yoop making up a damn thing

heres my lead in, and Lafleur obviously sped up snap to trigger for Willis, that is speeding up tempo,

I think we'll see more teams using motion, and play action, imo the goal is protecting the QB, we watched Lafleur design more up tempo for Willis, but he did this for Love and would have with AR too, except Rodgers specialty was extending the play.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Sep 2024 11:41
We do this every year multiple times a year. Yoops gonna believe what he wants to believe. Just gotta move on.
Lupe, I'am not wrong concerning anything I've said, not one iota, no huddle term is just that, a term given for a play schemed prior, thats it, and that is all it is, up tempo includes not only that but every other play where the snap is closely followed by the QB releasing the ball.

and there is no way I'll allow people in this forum to change my opinion about that, I bet you could ask a damn ten year old about this and get the same answer I just gave..

I may mis spell words, or even get some mixed up, but I been doing and watching football long enough to spot bu ll sh it when I see it

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
25 Sep 2024 12:10
we watched Lafleur design more up tempo for Willis,
We did NOT watch LaFleur design an up tempo offense for WIllis. We watched Lafleur limit Willis' reads and had him get the ball out quickly or run.
Yoop wrote:
25 Sep 2024 12:17
up tempo includes not only that but every other play where the snap is closely followed by the QB releasing the ball.
Incorrect.
and there is no way I'll allow people in this forum to change my opinion about that, I bet you could ask a damn ten year old about this and get the same answer I just gave..
It's not opinion, it's fact that you are getting wrong.

You could ask every coach in football and they will say you are wrong.