General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

salmar80 wrote:
21 Sep 2020 09:09
BF004 wrote:
21 Sep 2020 08:19
Any idea whether the books have moved away from the traditional 3-point home field advantage?

With no crowd noise, the only advantage really is the lack of travel.
I don't think they have adjusted it. At least it has not looked like it the last 2 weeks.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I think they are saying around like 1-1.5 now.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
20 Sep 2020 08:50
Mazrimiv wrote:
20 Sep 2020 08:47
paco wrote:
19 Sep 2020 22:47

I didn't like him. But didn't hate him either. I've gotten quite good at tuning out most announcers though.
I find that most of the crews have more negatives than positives, so I generally watch games with the sound off. I'll turn up the volume when something specific is happening where I need more details, but that is pretty much it.
How do you honestly watch that? I need the experience of the sounds from the crowd, players etc. I basically take nothing from the announcers but I still need the sound.

What I wish I could do is sync the radio call with my TV. But that is really hard to get just right. If not impossible.
I wish we could get the radio feed down here. The only time we can get it is if we are in the car with Sirius Radio on.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
21 Sep 2020 10:14
go pak go wrote:
Mazrimiv wrote:
20 Sep 2020 08:47

I find that most of the crews have more negatives than positives, so I generally watch games with the sound off. I'll turn up the volume when something specific is happening where I need more details, but that is pretty much it.
How do you honestly watch that? I need the experience of the sounds from the crowd, players etc. I basically take nothing from the announcers but I still need the sound.

What I wish I could do is sync the radio call with my TV. But that is really hard to get just right. If not impossible.
I wish we could get the radio feed down here. The only time we can get it is if we are in the car with Sirius Radio on.
FYI, wtmj.com on their listen live does carry the game. It's about 30 seconds behind live TV.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
21 Sep 2020 10:26
Pugger wrote:
21 Sep 2020 10:14
go pak go wrote:

FYI, wtmj.com on their listen live does carry the game. It's about 30 seconds behind live TV.
For some reason I thought they didn't air live games over the internet... :idn:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Packers have the #1 offense (yards) by a margin of 30 yards/game ahead of the second-place team.

They're the highest scoring team by 6 points per game.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I think when it comes to Aaron Jones you can’t think in terms of traditional RBs. You don’t pay him for his ability to line up between the tackles and get a first down...many backs can do that.

You pay him partly because he can line up between the tackles and take it to the house on any play.

But more than that you pay him because he can line up anywhere, is also a great receiver, and can make catches like the one he did yesterday where he high pointed the ball and came down with it like any top WR in the league would.

I understand if he works himself to a rate that we just cannot pay, but we should try to keep him even at a rate higher than we usually would pay for a RB. Bc he is more than a RB.

My 2 cents.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Sep 2020 11:27
I think when it comes to Aaron Jones you can’t think in terms of traditional RBs. You don’t pay him for his ability to line up between the tackles and get a first down...many backs can do that.

You pay him partly because he can line up between the tackles and take it to the house on any play.

But more than that you pay him because he can line up anywhere, is also a great receiver, and can make catches like the one he did yesterday where he high pointed the ball and came down with it like any top WR in the league would.

I understand if he works himself to a rate that we just cannot pay, but we should try to keep him even at a rate higher than we usually would pay for a RB. Bc he is more than a RB.

My 2 cents.
I completely agree. And it also means that people need to have their expectations then set when talking about lack of weapons for Rodgers. What it means if we sign Jones is it means we don't get to sign a TE or WR2 to big money for a long, long time. And it also likely means we can't spend high draft resources there either because we need those resources to fill other needed spots at a discounted cap like Defensive and offensive line and conerback.

And I am okay with that because I believe we have been setting up this roster to be the way it is to have the high end QB, high end WR, high end LT and let everyone else have their play elevated because of the pillar positions we are paying.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Also, huge shout out to Kevin King.

Has he like ever had a ball thrown at him and completed yet this year? Seems like Chandon and Alexander have been the CBs opposing QBs have been picking on.
Yoop wrote:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
21 Sep 2020 11:33

Has he like ever had a ball thrown at him and completed yet this year? Seems like Chandon and Alexander have been the CBs opposing QBs have been picking on.
King has been rock.

And there hasn't been a CB that has been an easy target. The Lions tried forcing ball in Chandon's way, and he more than matched the challenge. When you try exploiting a perceived weakness, and it isn't a weakness, that hurts.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Worth noting that the #1 offense in the NFL has done so despite, on the OLine:

Billy Turner missing the first two games (possible preferred starter)
Lane Taylor (starter) missing 1.5 of the games, and to miss the rest
Lucas Patrick (first OG off the bench) missing half of a game and playing 2 different positions (RG and LG)
Corey Linsley (starter) missing the end of the second game
Elgton Jenkins (starter) playing 2 different positions (RT and LG), and
Jon Runyan (6th round rookie) playing 8-15 snaps a game

We gave the team a lot of crap for counting on Taylor, Turner, and Wagner to improve and lock down the right side, and so far, even with a lot of musical chairs and injuries, the team has more than held up their end of the bargain. Obviously it's early, but it's great to weather a storm so admirably.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

salmar80 wrote:
21 Sep 2020 11:50
go pak go wrote:
21 Sep 2020 11:33

King has been rock.

And there hasn't been a CB that has been an easy target. The Lions tried forcing ball in Chandon's way, and he more than matched the challenge. When you try exploiting a perceived weakness, and it isn't a weakness, that hurts.
I’ve always been a king fan. Just thought he got hurt too easily early. Not sure if we will be able to afford him or not, but when healthy he is as good as any CB2 in the league.

Not CB1, but as a number 2 corner, he does a great job!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
21 Sep 2020 11:32
Drj820 wrote:
21 Sep 2020 11:27

My 2 cents.
I completely agree. And it also means that people need to have their expectations then set when talking about lack of weapons for Rodgers. What it means if we sign Jones is it means we don't get to sign a TE or WR2 to big money for a long, long time. And it also likely means we can't spend high draft resources there either because we need those resources to fill other needed spots at a discounted cap like Defensive and offensive line and conerback.

And I am okay with that because I believe we have been setting up this roster to be the way it is to have the high end QB, high end WR, high end LT and let everyone else have their play elevated because of the pillar positions we are paying.
Great point about how he is that second option besides devanta. We don’t have to keep looking elsewhere for that option. We have him and he came in the late rounds and has been very cheap...I’m ready to pay him outside of some number that really is just a dream for him, but impossible for us.

Hope we make him a very rich man at a price that he gets to stay!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
21 Sep 2020 08:25
salmar80 wrote:
21 Sep 2020 07:32
NCF wrote:
20 Sep 2020 16:49
Rashan Gary.
Gary is definitely a viable candidate this week: 1.5 sacks and the pressure that led to a pick-6. I'll stick with Jones and his career-high silly game, but it's close.

I feel like Gary is in a weird place when it comes to expectations - it's like people simultaneously expect him to suck due to hating the pick AND have high expectations of him due to that draft slot... :idn:

Chandon Sullivan would've been popular after a couple of good PDs and the pick-6.
I mean the fact that Rashan Gary has, I believe, surpassed Preston Smith as far as our best defensive players to me is pretty huge.

Alexander credited Gary last week for his pressure on Cousins on the interception before half too. He is quietly doing some pretty good production.

I would like to explore this comment that was made in the other thread. This thread is probably just better to keep the chat going.

Admittedly, with working every Sunday at my usual second job to make up for loss income in the international travel industry of my full time job...I have been watching the games on my phone at work. I have done really well getting free to watch our offensive drives. But some inconsistent viewing of the defensive drives. I notice Preston has been pretty quiet in the box score, and I see Gary on the field when I am watching quite a bit.

But what’s going on with Preston? It feels like ever since about second half of last year we haven’t got much out of him at all. Minus some splash plays. I know he does contribute in more ways than the box score when he successfully covers pass catchers. He does that pretty often.

But I also know we have a pretty good out on his contract after this year. Is he going to make the decision easy on us about Gary replacing him full time as we make our cap situation much better as we try to resign bak/jones/king or the rest of the many that need deals?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Who was saying Wagner sucked?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Sep 2020 13:03
not me.
On page 3 I said he'd be the starter on Sunday and that he might a better RT than Turner
IT. IS. TIME

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Sep 2020 13:03

I thought he was "Just A Guy". He has proven me wrong so far.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Sep 2020 12:02
Worth noting that the #1 offense in the NFL has done so despite, on the OLine:

Billy Turner missing the first two games (possible preferred starter)
Lane Taylor (starter) missing 1.5 of the games, and to miss the rest
Lucas Patrick (first OG off the bench) missing half of a game and playing 2 different positions (RG and LG)
Corey Linsley (starter) missing the end of the second game
Elgton Jenkins (starter) playing 2 different positions (RT and LG), and
Jon Runyan (6th round rookie) playing 8-15 snaps a game

We gave the team a lot of crap for counting on Taylor, Turner, and Wagner to improve and lock down the right side, and so far, even with a lot of musical chairs and injuries, the team has more than held up their end of the bargain. Obviously it's early, but it's great to weather a storm so admirably.
Who is our first opponent that actually has a good front 7 and who actually brings blitzes? Detroit has decent talent on that front 7, but they definitely play a low pressure scheme.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
21 Sep 2020 13:56
Who is our first opponent that actually has a good front 7 and who actually brings blitzes? Detroit has decent talent on that front 7, but they definitely play a low pressure scheme.
The Saints this week have a solid front; I'd be nervous about Lucas Patrick blocking Cameron Jordan more than a few times a game.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

For those keeping track at home...
image.png
image.png (19.26 KiB) Viewed 770 times