Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Titans have 8 covid positives, suspend in person team activities, so do Vikings.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packfntk wrote:
29 Sep 2020 09:33
Titans have 8 covid positives, suspend in person team activities, so do Vikings.

F

Suspending/Cancelling this season would be even harder now after having such a hot start.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Look

This is why there are a zillion contingency protocols.

People aren't getting called up and down from the PS and having 3-week IRs because the league and players just thought it would be nice to give the coaches some extra flexibility.

The Titans and Vikings will all be tested, twice even. Those who test positive will all be put on a list and isolated. Those who test negative will resume football activities. And Practice squad players and free agents will be signed to fill their roles.

The NFL was never expecting to get through a season with zero positive tests. They were expecting to need immense roster flexibility to deal with the issues when they arise.

One has arisen. It's not nearly as bad as baseball's rocky start and they are finishing a season. Don't catastrophize yet. It's going to be ok....

...unless/until it isn't.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Sep 2020 09:43
Look

This is why there are a zillion contingency protocols.

People aren't getting called up and down from the PS and having 3-week IRs because the league and players just thought it would be nice to give the coaches some extra flexibility.

The Titans and Vikings will all be tested, twice even. Those who test positive will all be put on a list and isolated. Those who test negative will resume football activities. And Practice squad players and free agents will be signed to fill their roles.

The NFL was never expecting to get through a season with zero positive tests. They were expecting to need immense roster flexibility to deal with the issues when they arise.

One has arisen. It's not nearly as bad as baseball's rocky start and they are finishing a season. Don't catastrophize yet. It's going to be ok....

...unless/until it isn't.
Titans/Steelers game in doubt. Titans are shut out of facility through Saturday.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Packfntk wrote:
29 Sep 2020 09:44
Titans/Steelers game in doubt. Titans are shut out of facility through Saturday.
I mean, cool. Fine.

Ya know how much I care about the Titans-Steelers game? 1/256th of my caring about the football season. They will figure this out and one team, 8 players, one little pocket of COVID was a certainty. It was never not going to happen. The league made their schedule and their plans and their contingencies knowing they would face this. Let's give them a second to work it out.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Sep 2020 09:49
Packfntk wrote:
I mean, cool. Fine.

Ya know how much I care about the Titans-Steelers game? 1/256th of my caring about the football season. They will figure this out and one team, 8 players, one little pocket of COVID was a certainty. It was never not going to happen. The league made their schedule and their plans and their contingencies knowing they would face this. Let's give them a second to work it out.
Oh, we all know they will work it out.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Sep 2020 09:49
Packfntk wrote:
I mean, cool. Fine.

I'm with you on this. In fact, this is a tremendous opportunity to prove this all out and make it work. Star players may miss games and it may ultimately impact who wins and loses games, but we knew that was a possibility going in. Identify/Contain/Isolate/Move On.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I believe with the Ravens losing last night, ending their 9 game regular season win streak, the Packers now have the longest active regular season win streak at 8 games.

What MLF has done is incredible, taken a 6-9-1 team with no offseason hype, take them 13-3, 6-0 in the division and to the NFC Championship game and now following that up with supposedly rebuilding and then coming out even hotter, going 3-0, 2-0 in the division and the NFL current longest win streak.

Simply unbelievable.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scratch that, should have looked it up first. Thought I heard we were 2nd last week.

The Chiefs won the last 6 last year putting their streak at 9, the Ravens were up to 14 games (won their last 12 last year), but just lost.

Packers already had the longest NFC winning streak heading into the season.

So the Chiefs are currently #1 at 9, Packers are #2 at 8.

I wonder how the Packers are doing setting themselves up to be a superior team according to [mention]Waldo[/mention]'s old analysis. ;)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
29 Sep 2020 11:25

I wonder how the Packers are doing setting themselves up to be a superior team according to @Waldo's old analysis. ;)
Wasn't that whole thing about not losing big?

Which you gotta give MLF credit. When he loses...he don't just lose. He LOSES. ;)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I didn't pay much attention, but apparently the Lions winning in Arizona snapped an 11-game losing streak for them.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
29 Sep 2020 11:42
BF004 wrote:

I wonder how the Packers are doing setting themselves up to be a superior team according to @Waldo's old analysis. ;)

Which you gotta give MLF credit. When he loses...he don't just lose. He LOSES. ;)
There were things to it about losing big, yes, but I think a lot of it had to do with decisive wins which we are tallying up and there is something about backward looking, where perhaps we already could be a superior team, but just don't know it yet.

But we did have the 2 decisive losses which I think is the maximum you can have.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pat mcafee said on his show today that the NFL has bought up hotels in Tampa for a month after the scheduled super bowl. That’s a great sign they’ve thought that far ahead, and shows entire weeks could be postponed and they still plan to march forward.

This doesn’t surprise me much.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
29 Sep 2020 11:52
go pak go wrote:
29 Sep 2020 11:42
BF004 wrote:

There were things to it about losing big, yes, but I think a lot of it had to do with decisive wins which we are tallying up and there is something about backward looking, where perhaps we already could be a superior team, but just don't know it yet.

But we did have the 2 decisive losses which I think is the maximum you can have.
[mention]go pak go[/mention] is right. If I remember correctly it literally has nothing to do with winning or how big you win. Only losing and avoiding losing by more than one score because that is the best indicator of a team that is in every single game. It's the only knock on LaFleur... that in 3 out of the 4 times he has lost (including the most recent 3), he has had his team completely outclassed.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I don't think the playoffs mattered, so I believe we had two decisive losses which I think was how many you could have over two years, but like I said, it could be backwards looking, so we may already be in that streak, but haven't realized it yet.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
29 Sep 2020 12:30
I don't think the playoffs mattered, so I believe we had two decisive losses which I think was how many you could have over two years, but like I said, it could be backwards looking, so we may already be in that streak, but haven't realized it yet.
True, I think it was regular season only, but then there were the teams that streaked, streaked with one loss, and streaked with two losses, so I guess we'd fit in that group, although I cannot remember if our 7-point loss to Philly counts as a one score or two score loss. I kind of feel like the cutoff was 6 points.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
29 Sep 2020 12:32
BF004 wrote:
29 Sep 2020 12:30
True, I think it was regular season only, but then there were the teams that streaked, streaked with one loss, and streaked with two losses, so I guess we'd fit in that group, although I cannot remember if our 7-point loss to Philly counts as a one score or two score loss. I kind of feel like the cutoff was 6 points.
The cutoff was seven but I and some others constantly argued it should be 8. I think that's why you have in you mind that there was a controversial "point" debate

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

There was something about that, yeah, I think possibly even 9, since anything less could push into overtime. Over maybe it was 6, where the game could within reason be won on one play.

Couldn't find it after a little searching, but found this.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... p?t=439601

:P

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Yes, I always followed the single play rule, that is the game could be tied or won on a single play (though an XP counts as an additional play). Likewise the largest possible gap in the final score of a game that went to overtime is 6 pts. Playoffs don't count; the whole point is to predict performance in the "2nd season".

There wasn't really that much difference between them tho, +7 or +6, the 1-2 loss streaks become more important, that's about it.

Winning doesn't really matter except for the fact that the easiest way to not decisively lose is to win.

The 1-2 loss streaks don't matter so much in this instance. At 12 games away, GB is still a long way away from being a Superior Team.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Waldo wrote:
29 Sep 2020 14:42
The 1-2 loss streaks don't matter so much in this instance. At 12 games away, GB is still a long way away from being a Superior Team.
Bookmarked for when we are 15-0.

Read More. Post Less.