How you became a fan

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

There are some amazing stories in here!!

Thanks for everyone who contributed a great read! :clap:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
02 Apr 2020 00:26
I don't see myself watching football much longer, for a host of reasons
Glad you finally found your way over!!

Now, for not watching football... Like, such as?

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

NCF wrote:
03 Apr 2020 15:07
Labrev wrote:

*snip*
Thanks! :)

People's interests change. It is what it is. I am curious about how Rodgers's story will end. After that, I may still follow Packer football casually, but it will not be a weekly religious ritual.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Labrev wrote:
04 Apr 2020 00:39
NCF wrote:
03 Apr 2020 15:07
Labrev wrote:

*snip*
Thanks! :)

People's interests change. It is what it is. I am curious about how Rodgers's story will end. After that, I may still follow Packer football casually, but it will not be a weekly religious ritual.
That's only natural. I've had periods when other sports/hobbies have captured my interest, and football's been on the back burner. I keep coming back to it, tho, the allure remains.

Love the Athena/Minerva avatar, by the way. Great use of transparency :thumbl:

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Of course, I’m not a Packer fan. But it was Packer fans that made me a Vikings fan. Grade school, 1966. Appleton, Wi. 29.8 miles from Lambeau field. 4th grade. This was the last year I attended speech therapy for stuttering. Nov. 6th. Vikings at Packers. The Vikings with Fran Tarkenton at the helm beat the Packers in Lambeau. It was the fist real Football game I remember watching. I was enamored with Vikings at the time after watching old movies with my dad during the summer. And for some reason was really into the color purple. We had a new color TV and the colors seemed so “real”. Anyway. I didn’t have a “team” that Sunday. But by Monday dinner time that had changed.

Monday morning when I went to school all the kids were talking about how the lowly Vikings had beat the Packers. And here I am thinking. What? You pick a team to cheer for? Since most of these kids bitching were the same ones who had been teasing me for the last 3 years because I stuttered, I seized the day and became an instant Vikings fan. Rubbing it in. Oh, little did I know. But at the time it was glorious for and 8-year-old who had been picked on for years. Two weeks later the Vikings lost to the Packers in the old Met stadium. But it didn’t matter. I was a Vikings fan. And I brought one of my best friends with me. And, I’m a firm believer it helped me learn to control my stuttering. Which rears its ugly head every once in a while.

After the Season the was over the Vikings would trade Fran to the Giants and hire a new head coach. Joe Kapp and Bud Grant would take them to their first Super Bowl loss a couple of years later. And for the next 23 years, (After their 2nd Super Bowl) the Packers became mostly a sub .500 team only having 4 winning seasons. The Vikings had mostly good years while Bud was there, but well, never quite finished.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Raptorman wrote:
05 Apr 2020 00:33
After the Season the was over the Vikings would trade Fran to the Giants and hire a new head coach. Joe Kapp and Bud Grant would take them to their first Super Bowl loss a couple of years later. And for the next 23 years, (After their 2nd Super Bowl) the Packers became mostly a sub .500 team only having 4 winning seasons. The Vikings had mostly good years while Bud was there, but well, never quite finished.
FWIW, as much as I hate the Vikings and basically everything about them (definitely including Fran), Bud Grant never has been and never will included in that group. Respect the hell out of everything he is as a man, a coach, and ambassador for your team.

Read More. Post Less.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Raptorman wrote:
Of course, I’m not a Packer fan. But it was Packer fans that made me a Vikings fan. Grade school, 1966. Appleton, Wi. 29.8 miles from Lambeau field. 4th grade. This was the last year I attended speech therapy for stuttering. Nov. 6th. Vikings at Packers. The Vikings with Fran Tarkenton at the helm beat the Packers in Lambeau. It was the fist real Football game I remember watching. I was enamored with Vikings at the time after watching old movies with my dad during the summer. And for some reason was really into the color purple. We had a new color TV and the colors seemed so “real”. Anyway. I didn’t have a “team” that Sunday. But by Monday dinner time that had changed.

Monday morning when I went to school all the kids were talking about how the lowly Vikings had beat the Packers. And here I am thinking. What? You pick a team to cheer for? Since most of these kids bitching were the same ones who had been teasing me for the last 3 years because I stuttered, I seized the day and became an instant Vikings fan. Rubbing it in. Oh, little did I know. But at the time it was glorious for and 8-year-old who had been picked on for years. Two weeks later the Vikings lost to the Packers in the old Met stadium. But it didn’t matter. I was a Vikings fan. And I brought one of my best friends with me. And, I’m a firm believer it helped me learn to control my stuttering. Which rears its ugly head every once in a while.

Damn raptor, I have never heard that story before. Crazy. So if we could go back in time and just knock those kids out, could you become a Packer fan? :)
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Packfntk wrote:
06 Apr 2020 07:58
Raptorman wrote:

Damn raptor, I have never heard that story before. Crazy. So if we could go back in time and just knock those kids out, could you become a Packer fan? :)
Unless you would be one of the jerks teasing me. Yup.