General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Begelton Cut.

Deguara to IR

Room for Snacks and Dareus

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
06 Oct 2020 20:27
Begelton Cut.

Deguara to IR

Room for Snacks and Dareus
:rotf: That would be insane

I actually logged in tonight to see if people were clamoring for Sanu yet, hahaha

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
06 Oct 2020 17:53
from Ben Fennell:
Packers Defense is best in NFL in generating those 3 & Outs - 27.5% !
Do they discuss, then, what the odds are of giving up a score if the team gives up a single first down on a drive? It actually sort of seems like it's mostly a scoring drive or a 3&out, now that I think about it. Like as soon as they convert once I feel a little doomed; guess there's a reason.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Oct 2020 20:30
Do they discuss, then, what the odds are of giving up a score if the team gives up a single first down on a drive? It actually sort of seems like it's mostly a scoring drive or a 3&out, now that I think about it.
here's the rest of the story:
"The Packers defense is worst in NFL on 3rd Down allowing 80.0% completions...
But... On 3rd Down... They've only allowed 1 catch for more than 15 yards through 4 games !
They are still getting off the field and preventing the explosive/chunk plays"

and here's the defensive drive stats from football outsiders
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats ... tsdef/2020

Even after that 99 yard marathon vs ATL, GB defense is still ranked # 6 in plays / drive on defense
GB is average in terms of punts forced per game
IT. IS. TIME

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BSA wrote:
06 Oct 2020 23:11
YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Oct 2020 20:30
Do they discuss, then, what the odds are of giving up a score if the team gives up a single first down on a drive? It actually sort of seems like it's mostly a scoring drive or a 3&out, now that I think about it.
here's the rest of the story:
"The Packers defense is worst in NFL on 3rd Down allowing 80.0% completions...
But... On 3rd Down... They've only allowed 1 catch for more than 15 yards through 4 games !
They are still getting off the field and preventing the explosive/chunk plays"

and here's the defensive drive stats from football outsiders
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats ... tsdef/2020

Even after that 99 yard marathon vs ATL, GB defense is still ranked # 6 in plays / drive on defense
GB is average in terms of punts forced per game
Couldnt find it but I also didnt try very hard. Im curious as to what our 3rd and yards to go average is on defense if that makes sense. Im probably calling that wrong.

My theory is that they are constantly in 3rd and shorts which that completion % is so high. When you get in those 3rd and mediums or 3rd and shorts theres very little you can do in coverages. Its hard to run zones because everything underneath is easy and its hard to blitz because the hots can break open easier or teams running meshes/breaking routes.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Well Snacks was clearly going for a big offer.

We never had a shot folks.

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Yeah, he said he did not want to play in GB weeks ago.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Packfntk wrote:
07 Oct 2020 08:12
Let's still blame Management for doing absolutely nothing though to address the defensive line and run stopping unit though.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

He really, Really, REALLY didn't want to play in GB.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
07 Oct 2020 08:18
He really, Really, REALLY didn't want to play in GB.
Considering he's on their practice squad, I would say so.
RIP JustJeff

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

On to Dareus now!!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
07 Oct 2020 08:17
Packfntk wrote:
Let's still blame Management for doing absolutely nothing though to address the defensive line and run stopping unit though.
I mean we still didn’t really address it adequately. Snacks was a quality path toward addressing the issue, but certainly not the only path.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Oct 2020 08:37
go pak go wrote:
Packfntk wrote:
I mean we still didn’t really address it adequately. Snacks was a quality path toward addressing the issue, but certainly not the only path.
However Harrison wasn't a path. That path was closed. That path was non-existent. The problem is that management gets blamed for ignoring the "issue" when they are trying to address it.

In my opinion the DL is not as much of a weakness as it is made out to be, with Clark.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Lancaster and Adams both showed improvement last game over the first few weeks. Lowry too. Hopefully not as big of an issue going forward.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Oct 2020 08:37
go pak go wrote:
Packfntk wrote:
What else was there? Rookie Dlinemen hardly ever do anything. Unless there is a rookie Dline lighting the world on fire this year that I don't know about.

But the only other real option we liked was Michael Pierce and even he went way out of our price range. Plus he opted out.

I just don't see any real options admin could have done in 2020 to beef up this Dline outside of drafting a Ross Blacklock with our first pick.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
07 Oct 2020 08:46
Lancaster and Adams both showed improvement last game over the first few weeks. Lowry too. Hopefully not as big of an issue going forward.
Yup. This is our team.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
What else was there? Rookie Dlinemen hardly ever do anything. Unless there is a rookie Dline lighting the world on fire this year that I don't know about.
The obvious answer is contained right within your words, here. They could have been and should have been more prepared prior to this past offseason. A low round draft pick, a bargain FA, or even an UDFA that could grow into a rotational player. When the plan is Kenny Clark better stay healthy, its not a good enough plan. And Plan B, which includes Z can play some stand-up NT, shows how ill-equipped we are to weather this.

Its not only as a back-up, but there are plenty of situations where you'd love to have a big body in there next to Kenny. Its just something I hope gets shored up quickly. I still feel like there are guys on the street (not even necessarily a big name) that could contribute more than the Lancaster/Adams duo has, even though they have marginally improved these past few weeks.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
07 Oct 2020 08:52
go pak go wrote:
The obvious answer is contained right within your words, here. They could have been and should have been more prepared prior to this past offseason. A low round draft pick, a bargain FA, or even an UDFA that could grow into a rotational player. When the plan is Kenny Clark better stay healthy, its not a good enough plan. And Plan B, which includes Z can play some stand-up NT, shows how ill-equipped we are to weather this.
I mean I'm not gonna argue that. Every year in my mock drafts I am obsessed with finding a good 2 gapper.

In 2018 I wanted Vita Vea.
In 2019 I wanted Lawrence.

But I am also happy we have Alexander and Gary as I think these two will also be studs.

But if you're saying we should have used low resouces to find a good rotational player...we did do that. Management bet on Lowry, Keke, Adams and Lancaster to be able to fill in that next rotatioanl Dlinemen spot. I don't see that approach all that much different from management placing a bet on Bobert Tonyan, Sternberger, Deguara taking over TE #1.

What I am happy about is we have seen steady improvement from this Dline each game since Clark went down. They were horrible Week 2. They weren't bad Week 3 and I would actually say they played pretty well Week 4. And the Falcons Oline isn't a joke either.
Last edited by go pak go on 07 Oct 2020 09:06, edited 2 times in total.
Yoop wrote:

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

NCF wrote:
07 Oct 2020 08:52
go pak go wrote:

Its not only as a back-up, but there are plenty of situations where you'd love to have a big body in there next to Kenny. Its just something I hope gets shored up quickly. I still feel like there are guys on the street (not even necessarily a big name) that could contribute more than the Lancaster/Adams duo has, even though they have marginally improved these past few weeks.
Aren't you basically describing Keke?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Waldo wrote:
07 Oct 2020 09:04
Aren't you basically describing Keke?
I still think Keke is more of a penetrator. He has been decent, but asking him to replace Kenny takes a lot away from what he does best.

Read More. Post Less.