General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

lake shark wrote:
08 Oct 2020 18:46
go pak go wrote:
08 Oct 2020 13:19
Preston Smith:

Snaps - 223
Hurries - 2
QB Hits - 0
Sacks - 0.5
Total Combined - 3

Combined Pressure every 74 snaps

Total combined Tackles - 8

Combined Tackle every 28 snaps

Rashan Gary:

Snaps - 83
Hurries - 1
QB Hits - 2
Sacks - 1.5
Total Combined - 5

Combined Pressure every 16 snaps

Total combined Tackles - 7

Combined Tackle every 12 snaps

*In addition, Gary helped force the turnover (INTs) vs Minnesota and Detroit.
You need to factor in coverage snaps for which Preston had 38 through 3 games, can’t find a source for the 4 th or Gary’s coverage snaps.
Just off the top of my head, I can't remember Gary dropping into coverage very much. Not that he hasn't, just don't recall.
But I guess the point is, between Gary and Smith, there is great production. Good teams don't care about who gets the glory, just the results. That's what I'm seeing with the Packers right now.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So I don't know when this deserves its own thread because I am afraid to jinx him, but Krys Barnes was just named to the Q1 All Rookie Team.

Folks. So far in 2020, we acquired the best linebacker in the 2020 draft.

Let that sink in.
The Green Bay Packers have one of the NFL’s most surprising rookie defenders to start the 2020 season.

Linebacker Krys Barnes, an undrafted free agent from UCLA, is receiving national recognition after emerging as a surprise starter for Mike Pettine’s defense. Pro Football Focus, who grades every player on every play of every game, named Barnes to the site’s All-Rookie Team after four games. According to PFF, Barnes has seven stops – or a tackle constituting a failure for the offense – and zero missed tackles over 85 snaps.

Overall, he’s the site’s second-highest graded rookie linebacker among players with at least 25 snaps played.

Amazingly, Barnes wasn’t even on the Packers’ initial 53-man roster. GM Brian Gutekunst added him to the active roster on the Saturday before the Packers’ season-opener against the Minnesota Vikings, and then Pettine shocked many by started him at linebacker next Christian Kirksey.

The rookie now looks like he’ll be a contributor all season, possibly even when Kirksey (pectoral) and fellow rookie Kamal Martin (knee) return from injured reserve.

Through four games, Barnes ranks second on the team in total tackles with 25. He also has three pressures as a blitzer, per PFF, and he nearly intercepted Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan on Monday night.

Barnes and Ravens linebacker Patrick Queen – who was on the board when the Packers took Jordan Love in the first round of April’s draft – were the two All-Rookie linebackers. No other Packers rookie made PFF’s team.

In our quarter-season awards, Packers Wire named Barnes as the team’s best defensive rookie.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Man, if just somehow hit on Martin and Barnes, to have both for 3 more years for pennies on the dollar, would be unreal. That is significant savings to move on from Kirksey next offseason. $6 million in 2021 cap, that would probably be enough year 1 cap allocation for Linsley.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Also I don't really think Smith dropping back in coverage 38 times is a "reason" for the reduction in production.

The dude is playing poorly period. I don't think he has had one even decent game this year. Mean he had a lot of one on one reps vs McGary Monday Night and did nothing. McGary is the weak spot on that line and was the spot I thought we could exploit and Preston did nothing.

And even Z. Yes he had 3 sacks. But it was a strange three sack performance where he got washed up and stood up a lot for having the production he did.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA wrote:
08 Oct 2020 15:47
a couple of cut ups on my man Raven Greene from Ben Fennell
He really makes the defense better

We've gotten some really good snaps out of Billy Wynn so far.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
09 Oct 2020 09:12
Man, if just somehow hit on Martin and Barnes, to have both for 3 more years for pennies on the dollar, would be unreal. That is significant savings to move on from Kirksey next offseason. $6 million in 2021 cap, that would probably be enough year 1 cap allocation for Linsley.
Yeah. And I know Dean Lowry is cheap. But he is clearly the worst player on our defense. I don't see him sticking around next year and I really don't see why they will play him at the level they have been after the bye.

Kingsley Keke, Tyler Lancaster, Montravious Adams and even Billy Winn are significantly better than Lowry.

Keep your worst player on the sideline.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I think Dean will be back for 2021, just don't think the cap savings are there. He should be entering that age where he is about hitting his prime for a DL, so maybe still a little potential for him to improve his game some.

2022 offseason is when the savings are 5.8 million. That is a way off, but don't think he is worth that.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
09 Oct 2020 09:19
BF004 wrote:
09 Oct 2020 09:12
Yeah. And I know Dean Lowry is cheap. But he is clearly the worst player on our defense. I don't see him sticking around next year and I really don't see why they will play him at the level they have been after the bye.

Kingsley Keke, Tyler Lancaster, Montravious Adams and even Billy Winn are significantly better than Lowry.

Keep your worst player on the sideline.
I for one believe Kamal Martin is going to be a wrecking ball when he gets his chance.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

4 games into 2020. Not sure now is the time to make definitive proclamations on how a season will go for a player and then what that will or should entail for the off-season.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Oct 2020 10:07
4 games into 2020. Not sure now is the time to make definitive proclamations on how a season will go for a player and then what that will or should entail for the off-season.
Agreed. But it's also the bye-week and now is a time to reflect at least on the first four games.

Dean Lowry has a lot of Dline snaps. Likely the most on the team and he is consistently the worst performer on the team. I don't even care about cap savings or next offseason honestly. I think the Packers coaches need to use self scout and realize he needs to play less and less because we have other players on the roster who are ascending and also just simply playing a significantly higher level than him.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Martin May Just be a beast at ILB, but im ñot getting too excited about how he looked at camp until I see some positive evidence in a game.

i didn’t even get preseason to gage how excited i should be.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Oct 2020 10:54
Martin May Just be a beast at ILB, but im ñot getting too excited about how he looked at camp until I see some positive evidence in a game.

i didn’t even get preseason to gage how excited i should be.
Agreed. Everyone kept talking about how great Kirksey was in coverage in camp too and how he was a noticeable improvement. We all got excited here.

Only to then have Krys Barnes over take him.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
09 Oct 2020 10:47
Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Oct 2020 10:07
Agreed. But it's also the bye-week and now is a time to reflect at least on the first four games.

Dean Lowry has a lot of Dline snaps. Likely the most on the team and he is consistently the worst performer on the team. I don't even care about cap savings or next offseason honestly. I think the Packers coaches need to use self scout and realize he needs to play less and less because we have other players on the roster who are ascending and also just simply playing a significantly higher level than him.
I think we need to also see how he is being used. Some of those unsung things may be slipping under the radar, but are important.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Josh Alper
Fri, October 9, 2020, 11:41 AM EDT
Packers linebacker Oren Burks has been named the NFLPA’s Community MVP for this week.

Burks and his wife Jocelyn hosted a fundraiser for House of Hope Green Bay that raised money to help women and children experiencing homelessness. They raised thousands of dollars for the cause, including a $2,200 donation that came from Burks’ fellow linebackers.

“There are so many players around the league and in sport who maximize their platform to create change in the communities they care about,” Burks said in a statement. “I’m honored to be recognized among my peers as an example of what it looks like to shift the narrative of being more than an athlete. . . . During a particularly difficult year for all of us, it’s important that we are intentional about how our actions can bring about hope and positivity.”

The NFLPA donated $10,000 to House of Hope in Burks’ name and helped start a crowdfunding campaign for the organization. Burks and the other weekly winners of the Community MVP are eligible for the Alan Page Community Award at the end of the season.

Oren Burks named this week’s NFLPA Community MVP originally appeared on Pro Football Talk

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

I think/hope the Packers are looking at bringing in Tramon Williams.
Josh Jackson just hasn't stepped up enough to be trusted and the Packers need another CB who can play a variety of spots.
A 10 game reg season + playoffs would be a good fit for the ageless wonder
IT. IS. TIME

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BSA wrote:
09 Oct 2020 12:28
I think/hope the Packers are looking at bringing in Tramon Williams.
Josh Jackson just hasn't stepped up enough to be trusted and the Packers need another CB who can play a variety of spots.
A 10 game reg season + playoffs would be a good fit for the ageless wonder
Very good point about how Tramon could still be ready to step in, and how bringing him in later would probably be better for him.

I also noticed that sadly Jackson just doesn’t look capable. Matt Ryan picked on him as soon as he came in the game for King. He didnt look like somebody we want to have to rely on, sadly.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

BF004 wrote:
09 Oct 2020 09:15
It's Billy Winn. It's OK though, you were probably emotionally scarred by watching Jarius Wynn try to play DL and now you have PTSD. :lol:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
09 Oct 2020 12:57
BF004 wrote:
It's Billy Winn. It's OK though, you were probably emotionally scarred by watching Jarius Wynn try to play DL and now you have PTSD. :lol:
Remember Dat Nguyen? For years, I would sign him in Madden and just assumed his last name was pronounced 'Noo-gen'.

Read More. Post Less.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

NCF wrote:
09 Oct 2020 13:08
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
09 Oct 2020 12:57
BF004 wrote:
Remember Dat Nguyen? For years, I would sign him in Madden and just assumed his last name was pronounced 'Noo-gen'.
Who could forget him? He was one of the few Asian American NFLers. I can't recall if I ever put him on my Madden teams though.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »