YoHo's Early Draft List (2021)

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

YoHo's Early Draft List (2021)

Post by YoHoChecko »

The bye week is generally a good time for me to glance into the future and assemble some names to watch for the draft.

This year is confusing. There's a mix of guys who were highly-touted enough to opt out for the draft, some guys who are playing and making a name for themselves, a lot of weird schedule quirks, not a lot of higher-level competition for the smaller-school guys to show against, things like that.

As usual, my list primarily consists of guys outside the top 50 or so prospects, though this year it's harder than ever to really find rankings or consensus this early. Darn early bye weeks.

That hasn't stopped me from finding a TON of names I'm looking at based on Freaks lists, PFF weekly reviews, and then other sources for corroboration.

Without further ado, here are 45ish names I'm tracking early:

WR Nico Collins Michigan 6'4" 222 huge and athletic
WR Jalen Camp GaTech 6'3" 223 big and explosive
WR Jonathan Adams, Jr Ark St 6'3" 220 big, slow, physical, hands, effort
WR Jalen Tolbert So Alabama 6'3" 195 mediocre speed, good all-around
WR Jalen Virgil App St 6'1" 220 faassst, but limited production
WR Marquez Stevenson Houston 6'0" 190 FAST
WR Anthony Schwartz Auburn 6'0" 180 elite speed
WR Tutu Atwell Louisville 5'9" 165 4.26 speed
WR Reggie Roberson SMU 5'11" 200 space player, looks fast; injuries
TE Tomy Poljan Virginia 6'7" 260 big all-around, athletic
RB-WR Kenneth Gainwell Memphis 5'11" 200 poor man's gibson
RB Khalil Herbert Virginia Tech 5'9" 212 all-around, good instincts, old
RB Pooka Williams Kansas 5'9" 170 fast, explosive, jr
RB Kylin Hill Miss St 5'10" 210 good receiving skills
OT Chandon Herring BYU 6'7" 310 all-around athletic
OT Walker Little Stanford 6'7" 320 maybe top 2020, injured, opted out
OT Trevor Reid Louisville 6'6" 320 athleticism
OT Larry Borom Missouri 6'6" 332 basketball player RT, shut down 'Bama
OT Brady Christensen BYU 6'5" 300 PFF all star, jr
OT Christian Darrisaw VaTech 6'5" 310 jr, great run blocker
OT Jalen Mayfield Michigan 6'5" 320 RS Soph
OT Liam Eichenberg Notre Dame 6'5" 305 solid all-around, pff all star
OT Darian Kennard Kentucky 6'5" 345 pass blocking plus, RT, pff
OT Rashawn Slater NWern 6'4" 308 Aggressive; handled Chase Young
OL Sardarius Hutcherson SC 6'3" 320 former TE athletic
LB Zaven Collins Tulsa 6'4" 260 off-ball, athletic; rangy for size
iOL Liam Dobson Maine 6'3" 340 huge and athletic
iLB Micah Parson Penn St 6'3" 345 all-around and fast
iLB Damone Clark LSU 6'3" 245 big and fast
iLB KJ Britt Auburn 6'0" 244 fast enough relentless
EDGE Jordan Smith UAB 6'6" 255 big and powerful
EDGE Boye Mafe Minnesota 6'4" 260 athletic freak
DT Jordan Davis Georgia 6'6" 330 freaky big man traits
DT Dion Novil No Texas 6'4" 330 pff all-star
DT Alim McNeill NC St 6'2" 326 huge and athletic
DT Tommy Togiai OSU 6'2" 300 STRONG
CB Caleb Farley VaTech 6'2" 207 all-around and fast
CB Tyson Campbell UGA 6'2" 185 junior
CB Robert Rochelle Central Ark 6'1" 195 fast, ball skills
CB Rodger McCreary Auburn 6'0" 188 sprinter, athletic
CB Elijah Molden Washington 5'10" 191
CB TaRiq Bracy Notre Dame 5'10" 170 always contests, lacks ball skills
C Creed Humphrey Oklahoma 6'5" 315
C James Empey BYU 6'3" 300 pff all-star, rJr

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I had every intention of making a mock draft last week, but then I didn't.

Thanks for getting this ball rolling. Gunna be a weird year to scout.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
12 Oct 2020 16:30
Gunna be a weird year to scout.
It's so weird. After mentioning that these are typically not top-50 players (Caleb Fairley being an exception because I started this list before I realized everyone already knows he's good) I JUST opened up Dane Bruegler's preseason top 50 and 7 of these guys are there. Meanwhile he has a column about players creating some scouting buzz potentially sneaking into round one and a couple of guys I thought were day 3 made that list. So I have no idea what's going to happen. But I do know that I watched UGA play twice and have decided that their CB I put on this list is a darn good option.

I will say, I love this OT class. I think we are going to be able to fill that need in this draft.

I also don't understand why Alim McNeil isn't a top-50/75 DL player and thus far, he's the guy I want most on this list if remains an option for a late 3rd round pick (check out his deflection, interception and return for a TD last week--and yeah, I'm talking about a 320+ pound NT)
BF004 wrote:
I had every intention of making a mock draft last week, but then I didn't.
And yeah, I was, too, and then realized if these guys aren't in the top 50 there's virtually zero guidance as to whether they'll go in the 3rd or the 6th. The 5th or the 7th. It's just a complete guessing game at this point.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
Speaking of scouting- here's a fantastic article from 2017 at The Ringer and it takes a deep dive into scouting. Very well done and some of it you'll already know but there's some good nuggets in there on the draft and pro personnel

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/24 ... pro-scouts

On scouting the Pro's and the "ready list"

“Every time there’s a transaction on the waiver wire, you’re gonna be looking at those players,” Hatman said. “When a guy gets cut, you’ve gotta be prepared for claims.” This is where the in-season “ready list” or “short list” becomes so crucial. For some teams, there are multiple lists. “We had a short list of young guys and a short list of vets. We kept it split up,” McCartney said.

“The ready list is gonna have all the players not under contract who are therefore on the street and/or on the practice squad that you’d be willing to sign or that you have interest in,” Hatman said. “To get on that list, it means that someone in the pro department starts the process, liked them, graded them well. Then, the director and assistant director both qualified that, said they liked him, and, depending on the GM, they might have also taken a peek to sign off on that. That ready list is gonna have the grade, it’s gonna have where the player’s home base is, who his agent is, agent’s phone number, what have you, all there, and that ready list is available at the drop of a hat.

“So if on a Wednesday, a guy gets injured in practice and we just need a new practice-squad wide receiver to get through the rest of the week, there’s a ready list for that,” he said. “Plus, the GMs that I’ve worked for, in the booth on game day, they’ll have an emergency list, and if a guy goes down in a game and they get a bad report back — if the doc says it’s gonna be an ACL — the GM is working off the emergency list, calling agents during the game. ‘We wanna have your guy in here tomorrow.’”

IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Since there are a lot of names above, just to narrow down some of my thoughts for anyone interested...

I think Jalen Virgil as a late round or priority UDFA would be a great guy for the Ervin role--return man and gadget guy. He has real speed, but he's bigger than Ervin. Has return experience. Probably would be brought along slowly for offensive involvement. He would be a fun developmental guy--like a faster Malik Taylor.

I think Jonathan Adams reminds me of a slightly shorter Lazard. It's tough to know who is going to stick around when Adams, MVS, EQ, and Lazard are all free agents within the next 2 years--not to mention Tonyan. We clearly like the big, physical mold, so I think he would be a real option to target late.

At RB I LOVE what I've seen of Herbert--he just jumps off the tape. He's a 5th-year senior who was actually beaten out by another guy on this list at Kansas and so he transferred, so there are some drawbacks and questions there. But if anyone's tape reminds me of a potential Aaron Jones with a potentially similar draft status/investment, it's him so far. This is a good RB class, so there are lots of potential guys, but a Day 3 type would be ideal.

If the team doesn't think MVS remains in the future plans and wants to get a guy into the fold who can replace the speed threat, I love Roberson from SMU. He's the only thing I noticed trying to watch Proche film last year (who I also like, but not as much). But the Houston guy would probably be available a little later.

If we don't sign Bakhtiari, I don't know that I love anyone at LT outside the first round. But if we DO sign Baktiari and are looking for a longer-term replacement at RT I am obsessed with this class. There are SO MANY dancing bear types. Just huge guys with surprising athleticism. There are also a couple, like the Notre Dame guy, just solid options who you probably can't go wrong with. Might be a position where you double dip with a more refined option and a more developmental option.

I think we can pretty easily find a two-gapper in this draft on Day 3 if we want to. But if this guy is sitting there in the 3rd, I think his upside is much higher:

Those are my rightnow thoughts.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I cannot say enough how happy I am you state there are a lot of good RT depth in this draft and that we can also find a lot of Day 3 effective 2 gapper DTs.

I would really like to double dip at both OT and DT at the early end and Day 3 end of this draft to really help solidify these positions moving forward.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
14 Oct 2020 12:00
I cannot say enough how happy I am you state there are a lot of good RT depth in this draft and that we can also find a lot of Day 3 effective 2 gapper DTs.

I would really like to double dip at both OT and DT at the early end and Day 3 end of this draft to really help solidify these positions moving forward.
Yeah, the two-gappers aren't, like, anything to write home about. But there are guys if we are just looking for that limited role.

But I was really surprised by the RTs. I knew that with a couple elite prospects at OT in the first round, people had talked about this being a strong class--but the sheer volume of reasonably good developmental options along with, like, the Jack Driscoll-style "we know the guy can do it but he may never be great" types... I can't imagine not finding a good option or two.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Oct 2020 12:03
go pak go wrote:
14 Oct 2020 12:00

Yeah, the two-gappers aren't, like, anything to write home about. But there are guys if we are just looking for that limited role.
For sure. They are Day 3 guys. I really would like to see another high level DT to complement Clark and Keke, though that may not be viewed as highly important next spring depending on the development of said Keke and Lancaster and also a Day 3 to look at replacing Montravious Adams/Lancaster/Lowry.

It's just clearly a position we need more depth.

As for RT, that is a spot where we likely won't need immediate help in 2021 so getting someone in Rd 2 area to let sit and develop could be awesome. Our Oline next year will already be stacked on the inside with Runyan and Stepnaiak. Getting a flyer LT in Round 4 or 5 would also be great if we resign Bak.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Nice list. Been meaning to start mocking in oct been havent.

I'll add the other uk tackle to thw list. Landon Young looks like a future long time starter. Hes just a mean big country strong tackle. All academic player with over 60 knock down blocks last season. Im watching him against tenn and he moves ppl with ease

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Adding THREE Tar Heels, which seems ridiculous to me.

RB/KR Michael Carter, 5'9" 200 lbs, fast (Day 3)
WR Dyami Brown, 6'1", 185 lbs, also fast--outside WR, excellent blocking tech., deep threat (jr, might not declare) (3rd/4th)
WR Dazz Newsome, 5'10" 190, slot/gadgety type (Day 3)

All three of these guys are pretty dynamic and have some electricity.

Also intrigued by Elijah Moore from Ole Miss if he's there in round 3. Another small slot guy. Has that "want to be great" attitude
and Khalil Shakir from Boisie St. 6'0" 190, primarily a slot as a sophomore, but more outside this year as a junior. Jet sweep experience.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

slot receiver who has a RB body, Clemson: Amari Rodgers 5'10" 210
slot receiver who converted to RB, UCLA, Demetric Felton 5'9" 190
slot WR who runs sweeps and some backfield, Florida, Kadarius Toney, 6'0" 190

Also on my original list I placed Jalen Tolbert as "mediocre speed," but it sounds more like he's a real 4.4 guy. Kinda gives me MVS vibes

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Going to be really interesting come February where these players start geting ranked and then where they go on draft night.

LIke I really like Caleb Farley, the VT CB. I just love that he plays fast but is also physical. He is a CB you want in the run game and a CB who can take on larger Receivers.

But where will he go? Will his opt out in 2020 hurt his draft stock? Do nothing? Help it even?

These are all things that will be interesting to see. Also. Will the combine have too much more of an emphasis then it usually would? Will there be all star games and if there is...who will get invited to them?
Yoop wrote:

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

BSA wrote:
13 Oct 2020 00:46
BF004 wrote:
Speaking of scouting- here's a fantastic article from 2017 at The Ringer and it takes a deep dive into scouting. Very well done and some of it you'll already know but there's some good nuggets in there on the draft and pro personnel

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/24 ... pro-scouts

On scouting the Pro's and the "ready list"

“Every time there’s a transaction on the waiver wire, you’re gonna be looking at those players,” Hatman said. “When a guy gets cut, you’ve gotta be prepared for claims.” This is where the in-season “ready list” or “short list” becomes so crucial. For some teams, there are multiple lists. “We had a short list of young guys and a short list of vets. We kept it split up,” McCartney said.

“The ready list is gonna have all the players not under contract who are therefore on the street and/or on the practice squad that you’d be willing to sign or that you have interest in,” Hatman said. “To get on that list, it means that someone in the pro department starts the process, liked them, graded them well. Then, the director and assistant director both qualified that, said they liked him, and, depending on the GM, they might have also taken a peek to sign off on that. That ready list is gonna have the grade, it’s gonna have where the player’s home base is, who his agent is, agent’s phone number, what have you, all there, and that ready list is available at the drop of a hat.

“So if on a Wednesday, a guy gets injured in practice and we just need a new practice-squad wide receiver to get through the rest of the week, there’s a ready list for that,” he said. “Plus, the GMs that I’ve worked for, in the booth on game day, they’ll have an emergency list, and if a guy goes down in a game and they get a bad report back — if the doc says it’s gonna be an ACL — the GM is working off the emergency list, calling agents during the game. ‘We wanna have your guy in here tomorrow.’”

I had similar lists for dating when I was in my 20s.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
03 Dec 2020 12:11
Going to be really interesting come February where these players start geting ranked and then where they go on draft night.
Yeah, that's why the vast majority of my focus is after round 2 even and almost no one I thought at the time would go top 30 (though Fairley and Slater are definitely exceptions) so that once draft order and stock gets a little sorted out, there aren't many who are off the list; just adjusted as to where they belong.

Obviously I am focusing a ton right now on "satellite" players--like a speedy WR, an explosive RB and some return/wr/rb hybrid types to just sort of stock the bottom of the depth chart with guys who can line up versatilely and make defenses pay if they're overlooked while focusing on our primary threats and maybe develop into more than that.

CBs are big, too, but I'm not studying them as closely right now. Tyson Campbell is my favorite guy for the 2nd round whose stock might majorly change. But I expect to get a CB in the top 50 or so, be it rnd 1 or some sort of trade.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Add IDL Jay Tufele to the list from USC.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Nov 2020 18:37

WR Dyami Brown, 6'1", 185 lbs, also fast--outside WR, excellent blocking tech., deep threat (jr, might not declare) (3rd/4th)

Holy crap did these guys show out today

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I think our top draft needs are shaping up to be...

DT
CB, regardless if King stays/goes.
RB if Jones goes.
---
S/LB... we have enough true-ILB types, even if we cut Kirksey. We need guys who can play that Raven Greene role and be done with Redmond.
---
OL & WR depth
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
13 Dec 2020 17:34

DT
RB if Jones goes.
---
S/LB... we have enough true-ILB types, even if we cut Kirksey. We need guys who can play that Raven Greene role and be done with Redmond.
---
OL & WR depth
Yeah I would love to actually devote draft resources into that spot to get a top talent. That guy who loves to hit at that 215 to 225 pound level.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah out of Notre Dame may be my favorite player in this draft for us....but I don't think we have a shot at trading up for him.
Yoop wrote:

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Dec 2020 19:27
YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Nov 2020 18:37

Holy crap did these guys show out today
Gotta give credit to Mack Brown, that guy can recruit. Think back to those Texas teams in the early 2000s. They were loaded with pro talent.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
13 Dec 2020 20:19
Labrev wrote:
13 Dec 2020 17:34

DT
RB if Jones goes.
---
---
OL & WR depth
Yeah I would love to actually devote draft resources into that spot to get a top talent. That guy who loves to hit at that 215 to 225 pound level.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah out of Notre Dame may be my favorite player in this draft for us....but I don't think we have a shot at trading up for him.
I've been pushing for the Pack to invest in that position, as long as they're going to play the 3/4 defense.
Problem is, it's like finding a Unicorn. You need a player who is big enough to stand in there and hold his own against the run, and can run with the tight ends and running backs. By the time kids are draft eligible, they've been put into one position and have a certain mindset.
I know they're are some out there. But freak athletes like Sean Taylor are hard to come by.