General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

go pak go wrote:
19 Oct 2020 11:52

Such a dumb, dumb tweet.

Isn't that pretty redundant? :)

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I think the major roster weaknesses are the same now as they were last week.

need a quality player next to Kenny.

Need a safety already on the roster to step up and play worthy of his salary or draft position

Need the CBs to stay healthy, because behind the starters is sus. Wouldn’t mind calling Tramon to come back up King.

Need a quality player next to Barnes, so hopefully i never have to see Burke’s get blocked 15 yards behind the LOS on a run play again.

Qb is good
Rbs are good
Tonyan and the TEs are stepping up
WRs are fine enough
OL has been good, might need to call Val Deer If Bahk is out for a while.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Have that in Keke, Lancaster, and Adams. All 3 have stepped up. What we were missing is Kenny himself.
Need a safety already on the roster to step up and play worthy of his salary or draft position
Savage is falling flat. Amos is meh. This part is hurting us.
Need the CBs to stay healthy, because behind the starters is sus. Wouldn’t mind calling Tramon to come back up King.
Not a bad position to be in where your 4th and 5th CBs aren't great starters.
Need a quality player next to Barnes, so hopefully i never have to see Burke’s get blocked 15 yards behind the LOS on a run play again.
Cross fingers on Martin? Didn't help losing our #1 ILB even if he was marginal.

Out biggest issue is the Smith's right now. That is the top of our roster. We need them to be consistently better.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Cdragon wrote:
19 Oct 2020 13:08
Pugger wrote:
19 Oct 2020 12:32
Any news about Bak yet?
Chest injury. So who knows?
LaFleur believes it is not a long term concern.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Oct 2020 13:50
Have that in Keke, Lancaster, and Adams. All 3 have stepped up. What we were missing is Kenny himself.
Savage is falling flat. Amos is meh. This part is hurting us.
Not a bad position to be in where your 4th and 5th CBs aren't great starters.
Cross fingers on Martin? Didn't help losing our #1 ILB even if he was marginal.

Out biggest issue is the Smith's right now. That is the top of our roster. We need them to be consistently better.
I completely agree. Thank you.

Hard for me to knock the depth behind DL when Montravious Adams and Kingsley Keke were probably #2 - #5 best defenders on the field yesterday. Hard for me to get mad at our Dline depth when Adams and Keke, a position you shouldn't hear from as much, make more impacting plays then Z Smith and Preston Smith combined.

Hard for me to get mad at Savage when Adrian Amos is dropping interceptions, making bad run blitz cuts and allowing a TD to Gronk.

Hard for me to get mad at anyone on the "middle of our roster" yesterday when Rodgers/Adams has at least 5 beyond awful plays that give the Bucs 14 points and takes off likely at least 10 points from us (24 point swing). Hard for me to get mad at the 2nd and 3rd RBs when they outperform RB1.

It's not that the Bucs "middle of the roster" played better than ours. It's that the Bucs QB didn't make back breaking mistakes and made the 3 to 4 tight throws when he needed. It's that the top players on defense for TB with the ILBs, JPP and Carlton Davis were absolute monsters on the field.

I just never understand the blaming of middle of rosters when Rodgers, Adams, Bak, Z and P Smith, Amos, Linsley and even Clark underperform in a game where we need them to perform. Is it the emotional attachment to these players?

This is a freaking good and deep football team if our top 10 players play at the level they are supposed to.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

And Josh Jackson is so frustrating. He did get beat on the Tyler Johnson TD but it was also on a play where we send 3 and prove no DB help in the corner of the endzone and Brady has over 4 seconds to throw.

Also sucks and I mean sucks that Jackson didn't have the ball skills to make the play on 3rd and 12 because he had the coverage. He was in position. You take that PI play away and this becomes a winning performance for Jackson. It was really refreshing knowing he could tackle TE's, WRs and RBs with ease. The dude's size is such an asset.

Really frustrating that they can't figure out how to make him an asset on this team.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Oct 2020 14:13
Cdragon wrote:
Pugger wrote:
19 Oct 2020 12:32
Any news about Bak yet?
Oh good. Bak didn't have a good game yesterday but we need him. His replacement was bad.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm pretty sure if Bak misses anymore time that Jenkins will slide to LT and they either swap a lot of the rest of the line or just put a guy like Runyan at LG.
Yoop wrote:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Pugger wrote:
19 Oct 2020 19:19
Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Oct 2020 14:13
Cdragon wrote:

Oh good. Bak didn't have a good game yesterday but we need him. His replacement was bad.
According to Zach Kruse
LT David Bakhtiari: Tasked with blocking Jason Pierre-Paul, Bakhtiari did his job admirably before exiting the contest in the third quarter with a chest injury. He didn’t allow a pressure over 29 pass-blocking snaps. Pierre-Paul is a physical veteran rusher with a toolbox full of moves and countermoves, but Bakhtiari had answers, even when Pierre-Paul gained ground at times. The Packers are hopeful Bakhtiari avoided a serious injury.

pack power
Reactions:

Post by pack power »

What now after getting our ass kicked?

I always look to Lombardi for a quote that fits and it is difficult for our non-performance Sunday, but here is one that
gives a close answer if we change it to "knocked to your
toes."

"The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." VL

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Oct 2020 15:43
Looks like the he’s trying to finesse a team for a contract before his bummy butt is outta the league.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Oct 2020 17:37
Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Oct 2020 15:43
Looks like the he’s trying to finesse a team for a contract before his bummy butt is outta the league.
False

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So lot of JJ Watt talk hitting the twitter sphere.

I would love to add him, as I mentioned before and was ridiculed by guys like yoho. :lol:

I would be like $9-10 million to add him this year, depending on when we might add him.

That is about impossible to take on, so we could either have Houston eat some of his salary (they don't have much cap at all either) and would increase our needed compensation. However, Houston would still save a good $5 million and get draft compensation for him.

Or we could restructure and extend his deal, making it very palatable this year and next year, kicking that can down the road, which really wouldn't prevent us from signing on some of our FA's to some extent. Might be hard to add 3rd and 4th years for him where those cap hit are gunna be real big, not knowing if he body can make it that long.

But in terms of pushing in some chips for the next 1-3 years while we have Aaron, this is exactly the kind of move we should be thinking about.

I honestly couldn't even ball park what a 4 year (3½) deal might look like for JJ at this point in his career. Not sure if he is still worth that 17 per price tag, or higher, or if like 10 is more reasonable. Also no idea what he might consider to come to Green Bay. GB is weird because like no FA's willingly want to come here short of top dollar, except for the very very select few, who might be willing to do crazy things to come to GB.

I feel like financially it could be a bit of a push, given we could save 8.5 million from Preston next offseason, which would pretty much guarantee his exit IMO. So it certainly could be done. We could just wait till the offseason to get him for 'free' if the Texans do release him. Wouldn't hurt us in comp pick but then would no guarantee we would ever have a chance to get him.

I guess I would offer something like up to a 4th for Watt, redo his deal, lower his remaing base salary this year from 9 million to like 1 million, give him abouta $20 million signing bonus over 4 years (including this year), another vet min base salary next year, giving him cap hits of about 6 million this year and next, the 8.5 million savings from Preston would offset that to some extent. Then fill out the base salaries and roster bonuses for 2022 and 2023 to make both sides happy. Maybe around like 15 million in 2022 and 18 million in 2023. On paper that would look like a 4 year (3½ year) deal for about 50 million dollars. Which is really is more like 14.3 million per, rather than 12.5 million per since he would get the full bonus this year for half the season.

Anything much richer than that and I'm probably out, but never say never.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packers sign G Ben Braden and LB Burgess.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Oct 2020 09:54
Packers sign G Ben Braden and LB Burgess.
Braden is just to the PS. We are also losing Robert Foster.

Read More. Post Less.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

not news, just a cool pic

Davon House, James Jones, Tramon Williams

All 3 of these guys were Packers, then played for another team and then came back to play again in GB
A real rarity... x 3
IT. IS. TIME

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
21 Oct 2020 09:41
So lot of JJ Watt talk hitting the twitter sphere.

I would love to add him, as I mentioned before and was ridiculed by guys like yoho. :lol:

I would be like $9-10 million to add him this year, depending on when we might add him.

That is about impossible to take on, so we could either have Houston eat some of his salary (they don't have much cap at all either) and would increase our needed compensation. However, Houston would still save a good $5 million and get draft compensation for him.

Or we could restructure and extend his deal, making it very palatable this year and next year, kicking that can down the road, which really wouldn't prevent us from signing on some of our FA's to some extent. Might be hard to add 3rd and 4th years for him where those cap hit are gunna be real big, not knowing if he body can make it that long.

But in terms of pushing in some chips for the next 1-3 years while we have Aaron, this is exactly the kind of move we should be thinking about.

I honestly couldn't even ball park what a 4 year (3½) deal might look like for JJ at this point in his career. Not sure if he is still worth that 17 per price tag, or higher, or if like 10 is more reasonable. Also no idea what he might consider to come to Green Bay. GB is weird because like no FA's willingly want to come here short of top dollar, except for the very very select few, who might be willing to do crazy things to come to GB.

I feel like financially it could be a bit of a push, given we could save 8.5 million from Preston next offseason, which would pretty much guarantee his exit IMO. So it certainly could be done. We could just wait till the offseason to get him for 'free' if the Texans do release him. Wouldn't hurt us in comp pick but then would no guarantee we would ever have a chance to get him.

I guess I would offer something like up to a 4th for Watt, redo his deal, lower his remaing base salary this year from 9 million to like 1 million, give him abouta $20 million signing bonus over 4 years (including this year), another vet min base salary next year, giving him cap hits of about 6 million this year and next, the 8.5 million savings from Preston would offset that to some extent. Then fill out the base salaries and roster bonuses for 2022 and 2023 to make both sides happy. Maybe around like 15 million in 2022 and 18 million in 2023. On paper that would look like a 4 year (3½ year) deal for about 50 million dollars. Which is really is more like 14.3 million per, rather than 12.5 million per since he would get the full bonus this year for half the season.

Anything much richer than that and I'm probably out, but never say never.
I would prefer to give up draft loot for Quinnen Williams of the Jets. I dont think JJ has enough in the tank to rely on when factoring in his health.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Yeah, I don't think Watt is worth the salary or draft capital it would take to get him right now. Although I love him almost as much as any Packer, I just don't see it being worthy of discussion. If he wasn't a Badger I think most would agree.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Cool graphic from OverTheCap.
Shows the Packers offense ( horizontal)i s on par with the Chiefs offense and the Packers defense (vertical) is on par with the 49ers defense
Those were the 2 SB participants last February and it shows how quickly things change in the NFL.

IT. IS. TIME