Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Cdragon wrote:
27 Oct 2020 20:06
Anybody interested in Sean Lee? Coming off the IR and on a prove it deal has to be real cheap.
I'm not; he's super broken and beat up. We'll have guys coming off the IR, also.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Lots of Seahawk fans around the web seem to think jj watt is coming via trade.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Oct 2020 21:04
Would that surprise anyone?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
27 Oct 2020 21:18
Drj820 wrote:
27 Oct 2020 21:04
Would that surprise anyone?
Would not surprise me

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Kinda peeved that we kept cut Fulgham for Shepherd and Begelton. Those highlight videos I saw of Flugham made him look like a very polished route runner and a guy who would be plug-and-play with a style of play that no doubt would have meshed well with Rodgers. I get it, can't keep them all, but I don't get what they saw in those other two that made them more worth keeping around. Begelton is slow and Shepherd is a bit of a doofus.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Idk if this was posted but the Buccs got Steve McClendon and a 2023 7th off the Jets for a 2022 6th. This is a no strings attached deal as McClendon is only signed through this season to damn near peanuts, which is ironically what this trade costed the Buccs.

Honest to God this move pisses me off because this is the type of move we should have made. McClendon is one of the better run stuffing DTs in the league that would have really boosted this defense and their were no long term effects on the cap or giving up essential assets. Meanwhile a team that just put boot to our ass got a NT to replace one they lost for the year and got AB for nothing.

This ladies and gentlemen is not being ok with being good enough and trying to be the best.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
28 Oct 2020 01:26
Idk if this was posted but the Buccs got Steve McClendon and a 2023 7th off the Jets for a 2022 6th. This is a no strings attached deal as McClendon is only signed through this season to damn near peanuts, which is ironically what this trade costed the Buccs.

Honest to God this move pisses me off because this is the type of move we should have made. McClendon is one of the better run stuffing DTs in the league that would have really boosted this defense and their were no long term effects on the cap or giving up essential assets. Meanwhile a team that just put boot to our ass got a NT to replace one they lost for the year and got AB for nothing.

This ladies and gentlemen is not being ok with being good enough and trying to be the best.
10 billion percent yes, i agree.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

lupedafiasco wrote:

I agree, we keep hearing about being better against the run [ from the coaching staff ] So here's a guy who fits the bill, and is cheap. Yet nothing happens.
I understand the Packers like to think they're players are good and can do the job. But we keep seeing good teams gash them when it counts.
We all know, the 49ers are going to run the ball when the Pack plays them. If they stuff down the Packs throat again, passing on a player like McClendon is really going to hurt.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Old narrative. Adams, Lancaster, Keke, have stepped up to shore up the defensive line. DL wasn't the main issue in stopping the run this year or against SF, anyway.

While this would have been nice, I am not sure a 5th for him would be something I would be willing to give up.

This is a lot of vitriol over little.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 28 Oct 2020 09:45, edited 2 times in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Eh, I’m not gunna shed a tear about McLendon.

Could have had him this offseason for prolly a 2 million dollar contract if we wanted him and we didn’t then. Not sure why that would change in a few months when now we have to give draft capital.

Don’t think we have a need for an older, below average, no upside, 0 pass rush ability, DT.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
28 Oct 2020 09:41
Eh, I’m not gunna shed a tear about McLendon.

Could have had him this offseason for prolly a 2 million dollar contract if we wanted him and we didn’t then. Not sure why that would change in a few months when now we have to give draft capital.

Don’t think we have a need for an older, below average, no upside, 0 pass rush ability, DT.
It changed for 1 reason only. He had a good first game with the Bucs. Notice we didn't hear about this when the trade actually happened.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

If you start from the position that the Packers screwed up on McClendon- you're totally missing the boat
There's always a lot more than meets the eye and its disheartening to read poster after poster lamenting that the Packers made a mistake
That's just not the case

The Packers pursued McClendon when he left the Steelers in 2013 and was signed by the JETS. But the Packers demanded he come for a visit to GB before they'd send their offer. The reason they did this is because getting a player into the hallowed halls of Lambeau is their best selling feature, it worked for Reggie White and many other FAs. McClendon said no thanks and that's how the Packers knew his only interest was in using the Packers to boost his offer in NYJ

Then McClendon played for Todd Bowles and the two really hit it off - which is why Todd Bowles stood on the table for the Bucs to trade for him and its also why McClendon was willing to make that move to TB to re-unite with Bowles. The Packers never had a chance

So please, before you launch into another " the packers screwed up" post, stop and ask yourself: "What is it that I don't know ?"
And the answer is there's a ton of info, relationships, history and behind the scenes stuff you're blissfully unaware of.
Steve McClendon was never going to come to GB, and no the Packers front office didn't screw up.
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

To be fair, lupe is one of the best hindsight GM's I have ever seen. :lol:

:poke: :beer2:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Christo wrote:
28 Oct 2020 09:37
lupedafiasco wrote:

I agree, we keep hearing about being better against the run [ from the coaching staff ] So here's a guy who fits the bill, and is cheap. Yet nothing happens.
I understand the Packers like to think they're players are good and can do the job. But we keep seeing good teams gash them when it counts.
We all know, the 49ers are going to run the ball when the Pack plays them. If they stuff down the Packs throat again, passing on a player like McClendon is really going to hurt.
Dont forget about the Rams. They fit the bill of a team that an extra DLmen of quality would help alot to have.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
28 Oct 2020 10:13
To be fair, lupe is one of the best hindsight GM's I have ever seen. :lol:

:poke: :beer2:
:rotf:
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
28 Oct 2020 11:03
Wait, that's not JJ Watt.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Oct 2020 11:28
NCF wrote:
28 Oct 2020 11:03
Wait, that's not JJ Watt.
That's true, but they're also not taking on JJ Watts contract either.
P.S. JJ Watt is not going to be traded.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Oct 2020 10:30
Christo wrote:
28 Oct 2020 09:37
lupedafiasco wrote:

Dont forget about the Rams. They fit the bill of a team that an extra DLmen of quality would help alot to have.
Yes, they would be a team that want's depth. But the way they've thrown money around the past couple of years, can't see them with much cap space left. Not to mention, gave up 2 first rounders for Ramsey. don't think they want to spend anymore draft picks.
Pretty sure they gave Leonard Floyd $10 million last off season. Talk about a waste of dough.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I don't think a big stuffing and old DT will help us vs teams like SF.

I think fast, instinctive, and athletic LBs who can tackle and stop runs from getting to the outside can beat teams like SF.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.