General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

APB wrote:
30 Oct 2020 10:46
lulu wrote:
29 Oct 2020 11:34
TheSkeptic wrote:
29 Oct 2020 07:17
Lazard will be back in a week or 3, if not this week. There is absolutely no reason to trade for a WR who is not better than Lazard. Remember, a big part of Lazard's job is to block for both the running game and other receivers. Bringing in a WR who can't or won't block because he is a marginally better receiver is still a net minus. The Packers should be playing a 2-TE offense most of the time and do not need 3 starting WR's.

But Watt is clearaly better than any Dlineman we have not named Clark. He is a major upgrade over Lowry, Lancaster, Adams or Keke. Assuming that the Packers can't afford 2 trades, they should take Watt over anyone else every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Make it happen, Gute.
I'm all in on a move like this, Watt or similar. Defense is and continues to be the weak link of this team. If we can shore up the D-line and/or get help at ILB I think we become a legit SB contender.
While I agree with your overall conclusion, I'm thinking more and more that the players on the roster are not the issue.

I was all aboard bringing Pettine in a few years ago with his success he had elsewhere. That optimism has since waned and I'm beginning to think that it is he who is the problem on defense, not the players. When I see CBs playing 8 yds off on 3rd and 2 and continued dime packages against run formations, it leads me to believe he either has waaay too much confidence in the ability of his dime defenders or he just isn't keeping up with the offensive packages.

That, or he's an idiot. I prefer to think he's not an idiot.

The defensive roster has talent. I am leaning more and more toward the idea we just aren't getting enough out of that talent.
Right now Pettine is Capers light. Simplified the D so guys can come in and pick it up quick but the more talent he's got, the less aggressive he's become.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

paco wrote:
30 Oct 2020 11:30
Another great gone.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Cdragon wrote:
30 Oct 2020 19:26
Simplified the D so guys can come in and pick it up quick but the more talent he's got, the less aggressive he's become.
I'm not so sure about that. Same with the idea that GB has all the required talent - but Pettine isn't getting it out of them.
Back in 2010, when the Packers had the great fortune of having Tramon Williams make the leap and Sam Shields balling out - it allowed Capers to be more aggressive, move his chess pieces around and take chances. Turnovers resulted. He could trust them on an island and that was the key

Fast forward to 2020, Pettine has Josh Jackson matched up on the outside - Pettine really can't afford to be too aggressive,quite the opposite. He has to babysit. Even when King is in the lineup - he too has his limitations and that limits what Pettine can do.

In my view,the Packers defense does not currently have all of the personnel needed to be a Top 10 defense. They have many of the pieces and parts, but the holes that have been discussed at great length here ( CB depth, DL, ILB) limit what a coach can scheme up and how aggressive he can be. We've also had a revolving door at ILB, the QB of the defense. 6 weeks into 2020, Ty Summers has played more snaps on defense than Kirksey. That's not good.

We're also in an unprecedented season in terms of offensive production across the league. Packers offense lit up Zimmer, Patricia, Dennis Allen, Quinn and Crennel. All of those guys are considered talented defensive minds and they all gave up big points to GB.
Did everybody forget how to coach defense or is 2020 just a weird season ?
IT. IS. TIME

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

The game has already jumped away from 2010 with rules and style of play. 2010 was still the Gunslinger era everybody trying to be Favre. The top QBs gave you a chance to take the ball. It quickly turned into the protect the ball era with everyone trying to be Rodgers and Steve Young. Turnovers just don't happen at near the same rate with good QBs. if you play them soft you watch them methodically walk down the field. If you put them on their backs a few times you have a chance for the rare turnover but you get the bigger chance at 3 and out. Get the ball back to your O. Rushing Brady with 3 guys and hoping your mediocre 6th or 7th DB can locate an occupied zone doesn't work. I'd rather send 5 or 6 guys and have the QB making the quick call or dump it. Even threatening the blitz give your 3 man rush a better chance as OL has to hesitate before doubling on a man.

Look at the leads that have been given away by prevent this year. The average QB looks like a god if you give him all the time in the world.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Cdragon wrote:
31 Oct 2020 15:05
I'd rather send 5 or 6 guys and have the QB making the quick call or dump it.
That's more fun to watch, that's for sure

But what are you willing to trade off to have those 5-6 guys rushing ?
Its a zero sum game. If they are rushing, you're leaving yourself vulnerable elsewhere - and good QBs will make you pay
You need both pressure & coverage to be a top D and right now we only have the personnel to do one or the other well, but not both.
IT. IS. TIME

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Cdragon wrote:
30 Oct 2020 20:00
paco wrote:
30 Oct 2020 11:30
Another great gone.
:(

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

BSA wrote:
31 Oct 2020 15:53
Cdragon wrote:

Its a zero sum game. If they are rushing, you're leaving yourself vulnerable elsewhere - and good QBs will make you pay
You need both pressure & coverage to be a top D and right now we only have the personnel to do one or the other well, but not both.
I vaguely remember the Packers doing this with Bob Slowik back in the last years under Sherman, it was a disaster.
He blitzed almost every down and nobody seemed to ever get to the QB. And of course, every team moved the ball at will.
So, I'll pass on the sending 5 or 6 guys. An occasional blitz from different positions will do the job.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Christo wrote:
31 Oct 2020 20:54
BSA wrote:
31 Oct 2020 15:53
Cdragon wrote:

I vaguely remember the Packers doing this with Bob Slowik back in the last years under Sherman, it was a disaster.
He blitzed almost every down and nobody seemed to ever get to the QB. And of course, every team moved the ball at will.
So, I'll pass on the sending 5 or 6 guys. An occasional blitz from different positions will do the job.
It worked the first game if I remember right. It caught the other team off guard. Then every one adjusted and was ready for it.

I think on the Vikings end thats their best chance.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
31 Oct 2020 14:18
Cdragon wrote:
30 Oct 2020 19:26
Simplified the D so guys can come in and pick it up quick but the more talent he's got, the less aggressive he's become.
I'm not so sure about that. Same with the idea that GB has all the required talent - but Pettine isn't getting it out of them.
Back in 2010, when the Packers had the great fortune of having Tramon Williams make the leap and Sam Shields balling out - it allowed Capers to be more aggressive, move his chess pieces around and take chances. Turnovers resulted. He could trust them on an island and that was the key

Fast forward to 2020, Pettine has Josh Jackson matched up on the outside - Pettine really can't afford to be too aggressive,quite the opposite. He has to babysit. Even when King is in the lineup - he too has his limitations and that limits what Pettine can do.

In my view,the Packers defense does not currently have all of the personnel needed to be a Top 10 defense. They have many of the pieces and parts, but the holes that have been discussed at great length here ( CB depth, DL, ILB) limit what a coach can scheme up and how aggressive he can be. We've also had a revolving door at ILB, the QB of the defense. 6 weeks into 2020, Ty Summers has played more snaps on defense than Kirksey. That's not good.

We're also in an unprecedented season in terms of offensive production across the league. Packers offense lit up Zimmer, Patricia, Dennis Allen, Quinn and Crennel. All of those guys are considered talented defensive minds and they all gave up big points to GB.
Did everybody forget how to coach defense or is 2020 just a weird season ?
Ah the Packers defense. No matter how much we invest, we are always 2 or 3 players away from being in the top third of the league. :roll:

It is so annoying.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

This poor guy just cannot get his body right.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

It absolutely pisses me off that the players association cares more about the money that goes into their paychecks, especially at the high end, then taking care of the players who freaking built this game.

Like the fact that Patrick Mahomes gets a $500 million contract and these former players have to fight for health insurance is so selfish and ridiculous. Take care of the players who built this game to what it is today.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
01 Nov 2020 06:51
It absolutely pisses me off that the players association cares more about the money that goes into their paychecks, especially at the high end, then taking care of the players who freaking built this game.

Like the fact that Patrick Mahomes gets a $500 million contract and these former players have to fight for health insurance is so selfish and ridiculous. Take care of the players who built this game to what it is today.
Unfortunately, this is probably never going to change. We live in a " I want it now world ". I understand wanting to make the most you can. In a game as violent as football, makes sense. You're always one play away from finished. But a lot of the problems that players like Majik incur stems from getting paid now, instead looking down the road. The players union seems to want big contracts and splashy headlines. Only recently have they been talking about long term care or treatment for retired players.
Perhaps something along the lines of 2 or 3 percent of they're contract should go into a health care account for future health issues. Maybe some already have this, maybe not?
I'm guessing it would be a tax write off too.
We see the NFL have rookie introduction get togethers and discuss what to do and how to behave as to not put the NFL in a bad light.
How about discussions on life after football. The injuries they might have or problems that come up after surgery's long past they're retirement.

Just a thought.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Christo wrote:
01 Nov 2020 09:28
go pak go wrote:

Unfortunately, this is probably never going to change. We live in a " I want it now world ". I understand wanting to make the most you can. In a game as violent as football, makes sense. You're always one play away from finished. But a lot of the problems that players like Majik incur stems from getting paid now, instead looking down the road. The players union seems to want big contracts and splashy headlines. Only recently have they been talking about long term care or treatment for retired players.
Perhaps something along the lines of 2 or 3 percent of they're contract should go into a health care account for future health issues. Maybe some already have this, maybe not?
We see the NFL have rookie introduction get togethers and discuss what to do and how to behave as to not put the NFL in a bad light.
How about discussions on life after football. The injuries they might have or problems that come up after surgery's long past they're retirement.

Just a thought.
This misses the point.

It's not just about education for current players now. It's about the fact that the players in 70s - early 2000's built this game. They built the passionate fanbases and put the game on the map. Their sacrifice is why the players have the opportunities they have today.

The thing is, for that 30 year period, the game had a LOT less revenue then they do now. I don't care about players now and "putting enough away." I care about the NFLPA not being a bunch of selfish pricks and ensure in their CBA that they make concessions from their cut of the revenue to take care of the players who used to play this game build this game.

Come to the bargaining table and even say, "Hey owners...we will pay for half and you pay for half but we need to do the right thing and take care of the players who built this game."

There are just too many players who contribute and give everything they have and are left behind and it's absolute garbage. This is a distribution issue and I just feel for the families who have beg and scrape to get by because of all the expenses on their health decades later.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Are you under the impression that retired players do not receive benefits?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Nov 2020 13:31
Are you under the impression that retired players do not receive benefits?
Not enough benefits.

Read More. Post Less.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

The health care benefits that most retired players receive is not nearly enough to handle the medical and mental issues they have to deal with because of playing football.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
01 Nov 2020 13:27
Christo wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Just a thought.
This misses the point.

It's not just about education for current players now. It's about the fact that the players in 70s - early 2000's built this game. They built the passionate fanbases and put the game on the map. Their sacrifice is why the players have the opportunities they have today.

The thing is, for that 30 year period, the game had a LOT less revenue then they do now. I don't care about players now and "putting enough away." I care about the NFLPA not being a bunch of selfish pricks and ensure in their CBA that they make concessions from their cut of the revenue to take care of the players who used to play this game build this game.

Come to the bargaining table and even say, "Hey owners...we will pay for half and you pay for half but we need to do the right thing and take care of the players who built this game."

There are just too many players who contribute and give everything they have and are left behind and it's absolute garbage. This is a distribution issue and I just feel for the families who have beg and scrape to get by because of all the expenses on their health decades later.
OK, your right, I'm an idiot. But why just go back to the 70s. The players before then don't count?
In my simple mind, I just suggested a change to the current players, I didn't realize I had the ability to time travel and change things in the past, what a dumb ass I am.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Christo wrote:
01 Nov 2020 22:04
go pak go wrote:
01 Nov 2020 13:27
Christo wrote:

Just a thought.
This misses the point.

OK, your right, I'm an idiot. But why just go back to the 70s. The players before then don't count?
In my simple mind, I just suggested a change to the current players, I didn't realize I had the ability to time travel and change things in the past, what a dumb ass I am.
You're not an idiot. I was a jerk who was crabby due to being in a foul mood because of the game yesterday.

I wrote it at halftime when the end result was clearly pointing to a Vikings victory at that point and it ticked me off.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Another WR I think would be a decent upgrade to help immediately would be Marvin Jones from Detroit.

Last year of his contract, would cost us about 3.5 million this year with his remaining salary, so very palatable.

Maybe not that clear #2 next to Davante that Fuller would be, but significant upgrades over Taylor, and Shepherd and clear upgrades over EQ and MVS as well.

Always hard to go intra-division on a trade, but I would be excited to bring him aboard.