Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

go pak go wrote:
31 Mar 2020 14:11
Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Mar 2020 14:08

Interesting
I have thought sports leagues have needed to do this for a long time.
NASCAR especially needs to do this so bad. There are some things that kids just love. For instance, you have a picture of this and kids go nuts for it. Plus NASCAR is a pretty simple sport for kids to understand.

I'm curious how an NFL broadcast on Nickelodian would be.
The announcer we don't like gets green slime dumped on his head in the postgame.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Chiefs use some cap trickery to lower WR Sammy Watkins' cap hit.

PFT:
Watkins and the Chiefs have agreed on a new deal that will pay him a base salary of $9 million this season, offer him the opportunity to earn another $7 million worth of incentives, and most importantly shave $5 million off his 2020 cap number, according to Terez Paylor of Yahoo Sports.

Watkins was heading into the final year of the three-year, $48 million contract he signed with the Chiefs, and Kansas City wanted to lower the $13.75 million base salary he had on that deal. This new deal accomplishes that while still giving Watkins some upside with the incentives.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
28 Mar 2020 12:12
Shelby Harris back to den for 1 year. 2.5 mil. Man we could have swung that. Huge upgrade to both lancaster and lowery
I played high-school football with him, still Facebook friends to this day. It would have been awesome to see him play here, definitely a better talent than what we have behind Clark.

He has two (very) little children, though, so the idea of picking up everything and moving halfway around the country -- or leaving them behind for half the year -- would have been understandably difficult.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
03 Apr 2020 14:48
Backthepack4ever wrote:
Shelby Harris back to den for 1 year. 2.5 mil. Man we could have swung that. Huge upgrade to both lancaster and lowery
I played high-school football with him, still Facebook friends to this day. It would have been awesome to see him play here, definitely a better talent than what we have behind Clark.

He has two (very) little children, though, so the idea of picking up everything and moving halfway around the country -- or leaving them behind for half the year -- would have been understandably difficult.
Exactly. Just because Denver signed him for $2.5 million maybe meant we would have needed to sign him for $3.5 Million.

Still, I would have done that too.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Apr 2020 15:58
Labrev wrote:
Backthepack4ever wrote:

Exactly. Just because Denver signed him for $2.5 million maybe meant we would have needed to sign him for $3.5 Million.

heck ya, 3.5 isn't much for instant production, sure we can pick up a run plugging DT mid to late draft, and we should anyway, but there likely not plug and play ready.

I havn't checked DT's yet, mostly because I want other positions more, :lol:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
03 Apr 2020 16:36
go pak go wrote:
03 Apr 2020 15:58
Labrev wrote:

heck ya, 3.5 isn't much for instant production, sure we can pick up a run plugging DT mid to late draft, and we should anyway, but there likely not plug and play ready.

I havn't checked DT's yet, mostly because I want other positions more, :lol:
It's the one position I want more than any other in this FA.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Antonio Brown gets official charges for one of his January escapades. It takes a special guy to commit felony burglary while being on his own property... Also, love the term "criminal mischief".

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler:
Brown faces felony burglary conveyance, misdemeanor battery and misdemeanor criminal mischief charges, according to a Broward County court document obtained by ESPN.

Brown turned himself in on Jan. 23 after a delivery truck driver alleged Brown and his trainer assaulted him outside of Brown's South Florida home two days earlier. The driver was attempting to deliver Brown's household items from California, according to a criminal complaint.

Brown was then charged with felony burglary with battery, which isn't included in the state filing from March 20.

The misdemeanor battery charge, however, states that Brown was "actually and intentionally striking" the driver against his will. The criminal mischief charge states that Brown maliciously injured the driver's property of $200 or less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Antonio Brown is about as smart as a piece of furniture.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

"Mock draft" gets a whole new meaning: All the teams in the league will participate in a practice session to test the technology before the actual remote draft.

PFT:
This year’s draft will be conducted remotely, and some teams have expressed concerns that technical difficulties could result in an inability to submit picks, contact other teams about trades, or otherwise conduct business as usual. So a practice session has been planned.

All 32 teams will participate in a mock draft, with general managers and league officials all set up at their home offices to oversee the technology and make sure it functions properly, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

NFL general managers aren’t necessarily the most technologically adept people, so it isn’t surprising that they’re going to need some practice to feel confident they can do it right on draft day.

The draft starts two weeks from tomorrow, so the league has two weeks to make sure everything is up to speed.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

salmar80 wrote:
08 Apr 2020 04:32
"Mock draft" gets a whole new meaning: All the teams in the league will participate in a practice session to test the technology before the actual remote draft.

PFT:
This year’s draft will be conducted remotely, and some teams have expressed concerns that technical difficulties could result in an inability to submit picks, contact other teams about trades, or otherwise conduct business as usual. So a practice session has been planned.

All 32 teams will participate in a mock draft, with general managers and league officials all set up at their home offices to oversee the technology and make sure it functions properly, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

NFL general managers aren’t necessarily the most technologically adept people, so it isn’t surprising that they’re going to need some practice to feel confident they can do it right on draft day.

The draft starts two weeks from tomorrow, so the league has two weeks to make sure everything is up to speed.
Liars poker version.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Oh, boy.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

The Rams :rams: trade WR Brandin Cooks and a 2022 4th rounder to the Texans :texans: for a 2020 2st rounder (57th). Cooks has four years left on his deal with salaries of 8M, 10M, 12M, 14M respectively.

The Rams also eat a whoppin' $21.8 million in dead money. Once Todd Gurley's release gets processed, they'll eat $33.5M dead cap combined for the two. It's unclear whether they can finagle one or both of these moves to be spread over at least two years. Probably, 'cause otherwise they'd go over the cap.

I repeat, instead of having a 26-year old WR and a 25-year-old RB, the Rams will have neither and will eat $33.5M of dead cap.

Now THAT's cap management, folks!!! :tiphat:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Wow about the Rams. Just wow.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yeah, I felt like everyone knew they were doing a horrible job about two years ago.

Just doesn't make any sense what they are doing.

They pay a lot for these guys via trade and money (Cooks, Peters, Gurley, Talib, Ramsey), then just toss them away for nothing (Cooks, Peters, Gurley, Talib).

I think they have a fair amount of dead money as well from Clay.

It's kind of like that movie, How to lose a guy in 40 days (never seen it and not sure if that 40 number is correct), but how to destroy a franchise loaded with talent in two years. Kind of funny, the two worst trading teams the last few years get together to make a bad trade. (for both parties if they consider they're wasted resources on RB's and eating dead cap on WR's to get different ones. :idn:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Most people would feel like Johnson's contract is a detriment.

And don't forget they gave Randall Cobb 27 million over 3 years too.

Doubling down on aging WR's with concussions histories. Bold strategy, Cotton.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pretty underwhelmed with those new Falcons uniforms.

The only one I even remotely like is the black version but only because it reminds me of their uni's of old that I liked.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

They broke up the Bird and the Beard.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Rams went all-in/Win Now within Goff's rookie deal window. That's all there is to it (also, hype up the team for its new city).

I don't care for that approach, but I get it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Looks like XFL has become the ex-XFL. :surrender:

Again.

COVID-19 hit at the worst possible time for the fledgling league, but it wasn't going swimmingly before that, either. Spring football seems like a doomed endeavor at this point. The legacy of this XFL may be that they tried out some bold rules and new broadcasting things, some of which may make it to the NFL in some form. :salute:

PFT:
When the XFL announced that its 2020 season had ended, the league said it would return in 2021. That no longer appears to be the case.

Several XFL employees confirmed on social media today that the whole staff of the XFL was informed that they’re being laid off during a conference call.

Although there has not been an official announcement about the 2021 season, it certainly looks like there will be no more XFL at all.

This was Vince McMahon’s second attempt to start the XFL, and he insisted heading into the 2020 season that he had learned from his mistakes in 2001 and was ready to fund the league for multiple seasons. But after a strong first weekend, the XFL saw its television audiences steadily decline, and by the time the COVID-19 pandemic forced the 2020 season to end, there were questions about whether the league could return for 2021 even if the public health situation made it feasible.

Now that there are growing concerns that we could still be a long way off from seeing professional sports again, the XFL has decided to cut its losses and close up shop.