2020 Positional Draft Talk - WR

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Another guy that hasn't gotten a lot of talk around here is Chase Claypool. The only mention that I see is from lupe. His biggest traits are size, catch radius, and mismatch. Sounds a lot like what we're going with right now. He does look to lack separation. Definitely could be someone that could replace Adams or Lazard (not that we need too).

I'm really starting to love this kid.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Claypool is a guy who was being asked about converting to TE based on his size and tape until he surprisingly ran in the 4.4s. I don't trust the speed to show up on film and the fact that he is similar to guys we already have is exactly why I'm low on him. He's my third favorite Day Two WR who is at least 6'4" and struggles to separate, behind Pittman and Higgins. I don't want any of those guys, but I like others more than Claypool.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

IMO, we don't need another long strider.

Is it me? Why does Tyler Johnson jump out? He's not as good as Ruggs, Aiyuk or Jefferson, but they will be gone by the time the Packers pick.

Why not trade down in the 1st round. Pick up a OT, LB or RB, and then Johnson late 2nd round.
Love is the answer…

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Foosball wrote:
03 Apr 2020 16:48
IMO, we don't need another long strider.

Is it me? Why does Tyler Johnson jump out? He's not as good as Ruggs, Aiyuk or Jefferson, but they will be gone by the time the Packers pick.

Why not trade down in the 1st round. Pick up a OT, LB or RB, and then Johnson late 2nd round.
I can dig that for sure. I think you can maybe wait to 62 and still get Johnson, but if you like, then you gotta take him.

I'm a big fan, I think he's gunna be very good in the NFL.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Apr 2020 14:14
Claypool is a guy who was being asked about converting to TE based on his size and tape until he surprisingly ran in the 4.4s. I don't trust the speed to show up on film and the fact that he is similar to guys we already have is exactly why I'm low on him. He's my third favorite Day Two WR who is at least 6'4" and struggles to separate, behind Pittman and Higgins. I don't want any of those guys, but I like others more than Claypool.
Totally makes sense why any of would be lower on him. If he can show that sort of speed during live play, man would he be a weapon to have. He reminds me so much of Adams and Lazard already though.

I'm naturally attracted to those guys that can line up anywhere, whether that be WR or TE. It's just not necessarily what we need right now.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wow, Pittman is such a stud.

Nice to see Ruggs is so low, also.

The bottom of that list isn't great, but also isn't terrible. As we know, Funchess and Allsion are more like 10% drop guys. 7% is higher than you want, but not "get him off my team" bad

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

A guy like Ruggs could sweep our problems right under the carpet :grin:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
06 Apr 2020 19:40
I'm really liking him more and more... if he's there at 18 (which I doubt), I wouldn't even hate it if we traded our second to move up for him. I think that's about as far as we can go.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Apr 2020 20:04
Yoop wrote:
06 Apr 2020 19:40
I'm really liking him more and more... if he's there at 18 (which I doubt), I wouldn't even hate it if we traded our second to move up for him. I think that's about as far as we can go.
well you know him better then I, I don't think I've ever heard you say that for another player before, so obviously you really like him, I tend to agree, Ruggs does seem like a sure thing, and in a uptempo scheme would really be explosive, I'd probably move up a few spots to get Jefferson too, and if not then I'd have to strongly consider Ayuik at some point, I think these 3 are my fav's for our offense.

I think the production that Ruggs or Jefferson would/could provide warents moving up to take them, I suppose theres at least a few GM's that think the same way though.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

For those that have watched him, why are Raegor's CoD numbers from the combine so bad?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Apr 2020 13:21
For those that have watched him, why are Raegor's CoD numbers from the combine so bad?
I can't speak to why, but it is strange how gospel that seems to be. He certainly doesn't run like they would be that bad.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Apr 2020 13:21
:idn:

I think his CoD was fine on tape.

Could not find film of Raegor's CoD drills at the combine to see if there were slips or poor technique.

This article claims WRs have been putting less work into CoD drills due to teams not caring about them that much: https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nf ... -nfl-draft

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

That very well could be it. That poor of CoD in the drills doesn't show up on film, that's for sure.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

I also wouldn't mind Jalen Reagor. Maybe a little more like Cobb. A little faster though. I think this offense needs a guy like that. Especially with 4.2-4.3 speed.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Is everyone overlooking John Hightower? Not the mold we usually like, but a long strider with apparent speed on the field.

Code: Select all

Measurable	Measurement	%tile
Height	        6' 1"	47
Weight	        189 lbs	20
Arm Length	31½"	36
Hand Size	9¾"	76
40 Yard Dash	4.43s	76
Vertical Jump	38½"	84
Broad Jump	122"	61
3-Cone Drill	7.07s	32
20 Yard Shuttle	4.21s	53
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/john-hightower

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wait, are we just going to breeze past that video without talking about how hilarious it was? The opening shot of him flexing. The two different scales, the stop watches being shown to the camera, the credentialing of those working him out...

I'm not sure what better he could have done, but that was truly funny.

Also, while those numbers are more in line with what people expected, it's really tough to weigh the significance of workout numbers a full 0.20 seconds better than the combine filmed in an ad hoc sort of basis like this. But I've liked him for a while as a fit for us, so I'll allow it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
11 Apr 2020 09:59
Is everyone overlooking John Hightower? Not the mold we usually like, but a long strider with apparent speed on the field.
The best comp I've heard for Hightower is Darius Slayton; similar style players. Slayton went in the mid rounds and then was a surprisingly useful rookie by a pure production standard, but has some drops and is more of a downfield-only kind of threat who may never be more than that. Paul Richardson is another similar guy.

I can live with either of those guys on the team if we take two WRs in the draft, but he doesn't seem destined to be a full-time answer more than a useful role player.