Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Christo wrote:
04 Nov 2020 13:21
Pckfn23 wrote:
04 Nov 2020 11:24
Christo wrote:
04 Nov 2020 11:22

Didn't the 49ers throw a ton of money at Kwon Alexander?
4 years, $54 million in signed in March 2019.
Wow, and we keep hearing what a genius John Lynch is.
Smart enough to know he made a mistake and get it off the books quickly. Unlike Gutey keeping Jimmy Graham or TT keeping Perry.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Nov 2020 16:52
Christo wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Smart enough to know he made a mistake and get it off the books quickly. Unlike Gutey keeping Jimmy Graham or TT keeping Perry.
I think the 9ers are giving up. They saw the injuries and they knew it wasn't going to be their year. A lot happened to this 9ers team in a matter of 3 days.

I too admire when they see the writing on the wall they just sell bait and go for it again next year and beyond. They are once again going to be a top 10 pick.

Which is why I will be rooting like hell for them after tonight.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It is a shame we looked past Minnesota.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Nov 2020 08:35
Yeah, I just kept thinking about that too, just with some simply, appropriate calls from the refs, someone making 1 play, or even line up correctly so we can spike it, that actually would have been a huge come from behind victory. Even though we played like dog doo, those are the games Russell Wilson wins and everyone calls him so great.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
05 Nov 2020 08:38
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yeah, I just kept thinking about that too, just with some simply, appropriate calls from the refs, someone making 1 play, or even line up correctly so we can spike it, that actually would have been a huge come from behind victory. Even though we played like dog doo, those are the games Russell Wilson wins and everyone calls him so great.
we didn't look past minny, we came out and marched down the field and scored, twice, when they matched it Lafluer went to more pass and less run, that was a huge fail on his part, Pettine didn't look past this game either, sure we can complain about any number of things we as fans would have done differently(hind site allows us to be right, maybe) cripes Prestine Smith got handled by a TE, and tackling over all again was putrid, players have to be held accountable, easy to blame coaching.

someone here said they wanted Pettine fired monday and Johnny Gray installed as interim DC, the same Johnny Gray who's been interviewed by a half doz teams and didn't impress, people need to back down off the ledge, this is the same ol stuff Capers dealt with, a revolving door of inadequate talent at several positions and poor play from other players, win or lose I'am happy where still playing the games.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
05 Nov 2020 09:34
BF004 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
we didn't look past minny, we came out and marched down the field and scored, twice, when they matched it Lafluer went to more pass and less run, that was a huge fail on his part, Pettine didn't look past this game either, sure we can complain about any number of things we as fans would have done differently(hind site allows us to be right, maybe) cripes Prestine Smith got handled by a TE, and tackling over all again was putrid, players have to be held accountable, easy to blame coaching.

someone here said they wanted Pettine fired monday and Johnny Gray installed as interim DC, the same Johnny Gray who's been interviewed by a half doz teams and didn't impress, people need to back down off the ledge, this is the same ol stuff Capers dealt with, a revolving door of inadequate talent at several positions and poor play from other players, win or lose I'am happy where still playing the games.
I just can't reconcile it in my head. It literally was a &%$@ storm. I want to blame Pettine so bad, but a couple of times we had them right where we wanted them and that LOL screen pass... good Lord. But really, after Adams caught his 2nd TD with 6:53 left in the first half and we do not put another point on the board until there is only 2:42 left in the game, that isn't good enough on that side of the ball, either. With an offensive identity, I think the offense deserves more blame than they are getting this week.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
05 Nov 2020 09:43
Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:

I just can't reconcile it in my head. It literally was a &%$@ storm. I want to blame Pettine so bad, but a couple of times we had them right where we wanted them and that LOL screen pass... good Lord. But really, after Adams caught his 2nd TD with 6:53 left in the first half and we do not put another point on the board until there is only 2:42 left in the game, that isn't good enough on that side of the ball, either. With an offensive identity, I think the offense deserves more blame than they are getting this week.
ya it was baffling to me that with the vikes in mostly 2 high we abandoned the run, seemed like Lafluer panic'd, then all the drops, so it's seems we failed at both game plan and players simply making a good play.

this season will have a asterik next to it, I actually feel lucky we are still watching games, even a bad game is better then none, even though I want to believe the games are being played in respect and loyalty to us fans, I know it's all about revenue, never thought I'd be thankful for TV money. :thwap:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
this is the same ol stuff Capers dealt with, a revolving door of inadequate talent at several positions and poor play from other players
I was the rare fan who actually did not blame Capers for our woes on defense, even defended him quite a bit for quite some time (got some heat for it from his detractors, too). Even now in retrospect, I am not convinced it was anything more than a lack of talent (on TT's part) that made those defenses bad.

I only agreed with letting him go when we did because we missed the playoffs that year, which gave us an opportunity to start interviewing for new DCs right away -- an opportunity we did not usually get, because we usually did not miss the playoffs. And the guy was old so we had to do it sooner or later. But even the year we let him go, the defense was better than the offense that year, so if you were going to let him go, you may as well have also let Mac go (I don't accept Hundley as an excuse for our offense being THAT bad that year).

I do not have that same stance towards Pettine. Our talent on D is more than adequate; this is a coaching failure.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The defense without a doubt was not ready for last Sunday's game. They looked past a good MN offense.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
05 Nov 2020 10:18
Yoop wrote:
this is the same ol stuff Capers dealt with, a revolving door of inadequate talent at several positions and poor play from other players
I was the rare fan who actually did not blame Capers for our woes on defense, even defended him quite a bit for quite some time (got some heat for it from his detractors, too). Even now in retrospect, I am not convinced it was anything more than a lack of talent (on TT's part) that made those defenses bad.

I only agreed with letting him go when we did because we missed the playoffs that year, which gave us an opportunity to start interviewing for new DCs right away -- an opportunity we did not usually get, because we usually did not miss the playoffs. And the guy was old so we had to do it sooner or later. But even the year we let him go, the defense was better than the offense that year, so if you were going to let him go, you may as well have also let Mac go (I don't accept Hundley as an excuse for our offense being THAT bad that year).

I do not have that same stance towards Pettine. Our talent on D is more than adequate; this is a coaching failure.
ahhhh, I can't agree with this, both ILB's are new, we have Jackson at CB, which is a decline from King (Jackson should been turned into a safety 2 years ago, he lacks the speed neccessary imo to play anything but zone coverage)

and just look at the decline in play of the Smiths or even Clark, or Amos, not to mention Savage, as I said we can maybe blame Pettine some for not being able to motivate these players, but the players need do some of that themselves.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Rex Ryan (and Ryan Clark) RIP into Pettine's defense:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreische ... bf667857ae

Rex strikes me as a bit of a blowhard so it may be easy to dismiss his take for that reason (I'm sure a certain someone here will take that tack), but this is at least somewhat significant in the sense that Pettine was a Ryan disciple, so Rex does have at least some idea of how this defense should work.

He also went in on the ILB coaching, specifically.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I liked the front door, back door analogy. We need to stand up to the front door and MAKE teams beat us. Be aggressive, go get those turnovers. Get those 3 and outs. If we give up the big play on occasion, so be it. We have a really good offense.

If the entire defense from 2019 has declined, even the stars, that isn't simply a player issue.

BTW it isn't easy to blame coaches, one must first understand the schemes and what is expected of player. It's much easier to just blame talent and not look at the scheme.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 05 Nov 2020 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

With so many cases going through a lot of teams right now, I think we’ve been lucky it hasn’t really spread yet through a team yet.

But just with so many cases lately and the country spiking like crazy everywhere, over 100k cases a day. Add on all the political rallies and voting lines and people encouraged to break quarantine to go vote (nothing political, just what has been happening), for the first time I am extremely worried and doubtful about the remainder of the football year.

These spikes can last well over a month and this one doesn’t seem near its peak yet and given the events of the last week noted above, might just make it all even worse.

Either way, I have begun mentally preparing for something like a 4-6 week postponement of all games, maybe even some cancellations, or worse.

Sorry for depressing everyone now, carry on with your day. :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
05 Nov 2020 10:52
Rex Ryan (and Ryan Clark) RIP into Pettine's defense:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreische ... bf667857ae

Rex strikes me as a bit of a blowhard so it may be easy to dismiss his take for that reason (I'm sure a certain someone here will take that tack), but this is at least somewhat significant in the sense that Pettine was a Ryan disciple, so Rex does have at least some idea of how this defense should work.

He also went in on the ILB coaching, specifically.
ahhhhhhhhhh, Rex is a blowhard, even so he is right that we do play to soft, our situation at ILB is about the same as the DL, should we fire both the DL coach and the ILB coach, what about the guy that coaches Prestine Smith?

as I said before most defenses are not that much better then us, and the ones that are dont have near rookies at ILB, one decent DT, a guy like Jackson playing edge CB, a guy like savage who looks lost in center field, the lack of off season training and the lack of PS games has hurt every defense, add in the all the injury's to starters and some of this is to be expected.

this isn't so much that I want to keep Pettine past this season, my point is there are to many other issues to make that decision now.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Nov 2020 16:52
Christo wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

OK, in hindsight Graham should have been released after the first year. But it wasn't a $54 million contract the Packers had just given out.
When Perry became a free agent, pretty much everybody here liked the signing, including me.
And for the record, I didn't mind the Graham signing.

Right now, I don't think it's the players that are the problem as much as it is defensive scheme and refusal/inability to adjust to ebbs and flows of the game.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
04 Nov 2020 14:09
Yoop wrote:
04 Nov 2020 13:59
there are/where several other WR's available, as I said if you can't help fix the defense with a suitable player, then your left with helping the offense out score other teams, imo the easiest way to stop teams from running on us at this stage is making them throw the ball.

several of the slot receivers could have still helped us and there price tags where a lot cheaper.
Such as?
Yeah, that's a good question. Other than Fuller, the only other names being thrown about were AJ Green and Julio Jones. And both of guys are well past they're sell by date. Jamison Crowder was mentioned, but another guy with a hefty contract. Believe he has a 10 million dollar cap hit over the next 2 years.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Nov 2020 11:07
I liked the front door, back door analogy. We need to stand up to the front door and MAKE teams beat us. Be aggressive, go get those turnovers. Get those 3 and outs. If we give up the big play on occasion, so be it. We have a really good offense.

If the entire defense from 2019 has declined, even the stars, that isn't simply a player issue.

BTW it isn't easy to blame coaches, one must first understand the schemes and what is expected of player. It's much easier to just blame talent and not look at the scheme.
Do we know that the Packers are playing different schemes from last year?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Much more zone for sure.

Not sure I ever saw Preston Smith lined up wide on a number 1, last year... ;)

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Nov 2020 15:01
Much more zone for sure.

Are they playing more zone because Kings been out the last few games?
I'm just asking, I don't know if that's the reason.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Christo wrote:
05 Nov 2020 15:11
Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Nov 2020 15:01
Much more zone for sure.

Are they playing more zone because Kings been out the last few games?
I'm just asking, I don't know if that's the reason.
They were playing more zone before King went out.

There are other things I can point to (with evidence) that I don't necessarily want to get into because I know what the reaction will be, and frankly just don't even want to deal with it. Not from you, btw.