Bakhtiari extension - 4yr $105.5M

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Bakhtiari extension - 4yr $105.5M

Post by paco »

Last edited by paco on 15 Nov 2020 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Holy crap.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
15 Nov 2020 15:23
Holy crap.
Yep. Going to have to see everything to see how the cap shapes up. But a ton of money the next 2 years.

Bahktiari is up first on video conference on packers.com.
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Wow. I was certain we were gonna lose him. Is there anything left for Aaron Jones?

mnpackerbacker
Reactions:

Post by mnpackerbacker »

makes me a little worried about signing Aaron Jones, Lazard and King. And Alexander will be up for extension after next season.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Well it's a sigh of relief to not have to worry about LT the next few years.

Good for Bak. I don't know if we will be able to afford anyone else now. Especially Jones.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Bak gets a contract extension and the offensive line plays its worst it has played all year.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

mnpackerbacker wrote:
15 Nov 2020 15:30
makes me a little worried about signing Aaron Jones, Lazard and King. And Alexander will be up for extension after next season.
I really don't think King is coming back. Or Aaron Jones. Lazard shouldn't cost that much unless he goes off big time when he comes back. Hasn't done enough and not on the field enough yet for anyone to pay him big.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

That. is big.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Bak has certainly earned it. :aok:

I have a feeling there's some kinda cap exception thing happening for next season... Teams seem to keep doing business pretty much as usual.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think it is a good move. LT is a position that can be tough and when you got the best in the league, you keep him. And LT is a spot you can play for a long time.

We do need to move on from King. Dude doesn't play and you should in theory be able to draft a rookie in the first two rounds that can replace him. Just gotta hit. Rookie CBs have a good history of being able to be put right in.

I really want to find a way to get Jones a 2nd contract.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Nice to see him getting a little emotional talking about the deal. Being #1 paid was important to him. He was ready to walk away to get it. But seems like he's happy to get it here.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I wonder if the fact that we almost didn't seem to miss him the past 3 weeks helped bridge the gap.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
15 Nov 2020 15:51
I wonder if the fact that we almost didn't seem to miss him the past 3 weeks helped bridge the gap.
He made it sound like as long as his agent said it was, no question, best ever OL deal, that he was going to sign it. I think the Packers had to step up.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
15 Nov 2020 15:39
I think it is a good move. LT is a position that can be tough and when you got the best in the league, you keep him. And LT is a spot you can play for a long time.

We do need to move on from King. Dude doesn't play and you should in theory be able to draft a rookie in the first two rounds that can replace him. Just gotta hit. Rookie CBs have a good history of being able to be put right in.

I really want to find a way to get Jones a 2nd contract.
me to, Jones has been dinged up a little, but he really is a offensive impact player and can single handidly take over a game when this OL gives him some running room, which it struggled to do most of today.
lots of dough for Bak, however he is a good run blocker when full strength, and he probably wasn't yet today.

A win is a win, but we need to play better then we did today, the Jags sure looked like they wanted this win more then we did, just didn't know how to take it.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Just when I was starting to think we were okay without him. Crazy deal. Happy for Bak the person though.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So I’ll bite, how is it 4 for 105.5 total in new money when it’s 23 a year up to 23.5 a year?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Just gonna put it out there that I nailed my read on this situation:
YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Sep 2020 08:12
NCF wrote:
24 Sep 2020 08:02
Another take I settled on is if we are going to bite the bullet and pay top of the market value for Bak, then there really is no incentive for us to do the deal now.
The biggest incentive is superficial.

If his agent and by extension Bakhtiari himself want a contract number announced that sounds bigger and worthy of more respect and prestige, then doing it now allows for a new money/new years announcement that is bigger than the actual annual impact of the deal for the team. For instance if the agent is insisting that he be the "highest paid OLineman in the league" putting him at, what, $21M/year? A 5-year $21M extension would actually average out to a 6-year $19.9M deal for us.

Much like that time that Rodgers signed an extension with 2 years left on his deal, and the whole world called it a deal worth $22M per year, but over the 6-year life of the deal, only one year had a cap number above the reported contract average.

At this point, yes, it would be about ego management, but ego management is often how these things get done--and mostly involving the agent's ego more than the player's.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Sometimes i wonder if gutey and ball bid against themselves. Bak may could have gotten a deal like that elsewhere, maybe.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur