Bakhtiari extension - 4yr $105.5M

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
15 Nov 2020 17:24
Sometimes i wonder if gutey and ball bid against themselves. Bak may could have gotten a deal like that elsewhere, maybe.
I think he easily would have on the open market.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
15 Nov 2020 17:04
So I’ll bite, how is it 4 for 105.5 total in new money when it’s 23 a year up to 23.5 a year?
It said "up to". I'm sure once we get the details on where/when bonuses are and what type, it'll all make sense.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The benefit of this deal is OL no longer is a requirement in the first 2 days on draft day.

CB, DL, LB and WR are looking to be our needs.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Updated info, but change 103.5 to 105.5

RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Sounds likely that the plan is to keep his cap number roughly the same this year; next year they'll convert the 11M roster bonus to mostly a signing bonus, knocking his cap number down probably to around 8-10 million for the crunch year.

This is my rough guess of what the deal might look like AFTER they "restructure" it next year to change the roster bonus.

I think they actually put the roster bonus there to give them flexibility depending on what the cap looks like next year. They can reduce all the way down to a $10 M cap number or keep it as high as $18 M
image.png
image.png (27.43 KiB) Viewed 517 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Rob Demovsky wrote: If you think David Bakhtiari's deal means the Packers won't be able to re-sign any more of their pending free-agents, GM Brian Gutekunst said this: "This actually gives a little more flexibility to move forward."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Nov 2020 19:17
Rob Demovsky wrote: If you think David Bakhtiari's deal means the Packers won't be able to re-sign any more of their pending free-agents, GM Brian Gutekunst said this: "This actually gives a little more flexibility to move forward."
Demovsky should have done better on the quote. The GM really was insinuating this gives flexibility for 2021. He made that specific point.

I think it is clear the Packers really don't care about their cap much after 2022 or so. It will all work itself out by then and honestly they are right. By that point you can determine who you want to keep of your high priced guys.

I originally thought we would go for it this year. Take a minor rebuilt in 2021 and then go for it 2022 and 2023. Now we may be looking more at a window until 2022 or so.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Intresting.

Guty in his presser said that March will be interesting this year because a lot of teams will be letting go players to stay under the cap and therefore they expect a lot of players to available to GB that normally would not be available.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
15 Nov 2020 19:35
Intresting.

Guty in his presser said that March will be interesting this year because a lot of teams will be letting go players to stay under the cap and therefore they expect a lot of players to available to GB that normally would not be available.
I’ve been expecting that too. Feel like the stupid Patriots of all teams are gunna snag guys like Linsley, Montravious and Jamal for very cheap 1 year deals because no one has any money and they can offer slightly higher one year deals than everyone else.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
15 Nov 2020 19:25
YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Nov 2020 19:17
Demovsky should have done better on the quote. The GM really was insinuating this gives flexibility for 2021. He made that specific point.

I think it is clear the Packers really don't care about their cap much after 2022 or so. It will all work itself out by then and honestly they are right. By that point you can determine who you want to keep of your high priced guys.
Yeah, just listened myself. Honestly it's embarrassing hearing the beat reporters asking "how could a big deal give you flexibility" when I was able to hear 5 bullets about the contract and figure out that it basically lets you pick a cap number between 10 and 18 million for 2021. Like this is their job, come on. You see a huge roster bonus, you always gotta think "oh that's a renegotiating/flexibility point" in the contract.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I mean yes and no.

Still will cost us financial resources right? The best for the cap at the LT position would obviously put a first rounder in there and he does well on a rookie contract.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
15 Nov 2020 19:53
I mean yes and no.

Still will cost us financial resources right? The best for the cap at the LT position would obviously put a first rounder in there and he does well on a rookie contract.
Well if his cap number remains basically unchanged this year, which I expect, and is a choose your own adventure from 10-18 in 2021, instead of either losing him or paying a franchise tag at $20 million in 2021--huge amount of flexibility added.

2022 through 2023 will be very interesting. The team is REALLY counting on the TV deal (not that they don't have contingencies of course), but they'll be likely to do a lot of can-kicking with other players until Rodgers' deal is off the books; ideally, then signing Love to a middle-ground uncertain starter's deal and get a few years with mid-level QB cap numbers instead of top-level QB cap numbers to sort of work their way through the cans they kicked and build the next phase.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Nov 2020 20:03
go pak go wrote:
15 Nov 2020 19:53
I mean yes and no.

Well if his cap number remains basically unchanged this year, which I expect, and is a choose your own adventure from 10-18 in 2021, instead of either losing him or paying a franchise tag at $20 million in 2021--huge amount of flexibility added.

2022 through 2023 will be very interesting. The team is REALLY counting on the TV deal (not that they don't have contingencies of course), but they'll be likely to do a lot of can-kicking with other players until Rodgers' deal is off the books; ideally, then signing Love to a middle-ground uncertain starter's deal and get a few years with mid-level QB cap numbers instead of top-level QB cap numbers to sort of work their way through the cans they kicked and build the next phase.
For sure.

And honestly. If these next three seasons (including this year) brings just one flipping ring...we can kick all the sh*t we want.

I am just super curious to see what the value will be for Aaron Jones. I mean Dillon has shown nothing to this point as a replacement. But Jones also is very streaky in his production.

But it is very, very nice to not have to worry about the left side of the Oline or the Oline in general this offseason. I feel confident with a 4th/5th draft pick and Lucas Patrick at Center, Runyan/Stepaniak/Taylor at RG and Turner/Runyan/draft pick at RT.
Yoop wrote:

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

go pak go wrote:
15 Nov 2020 17:49
The benefit of this deal is OL no longer is a requirement in the first 2 days on draft day.

CB, DL, LB and WR are looking to be our needs.
Probably go LT, QB, OLB, TE based off recent experience

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

How is this going to give us more flexibility next year? Isn't the cap going to shrink by a ton?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
15 Nov 2020 20:09
But it is very, very nice to not have to worry about the left side of the Oline or the Oline in general this offseason. I feel confident with a 4th/5th draft pick and Lucas Patrick at Center, Runyan/Stepaniak/Taylor at RG and Turner/Runyan/draft pick at RT.
don't our RB's lead the league with yards after contact? so to me that translates to better OL man, less contact, how often do we get pushed back from guard to guard on short yardage runs? seems pretty regular to me, I'd like to see some daylight there when we need to convert 3rd and 1 like yesterday.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

texas wrote:
16 Nov 2020 00:36
How is this going to give us more flexibility next year? Isn't the cap going to shrink by a ton?
Like folks have detailed above, the deal is structured so that they can make Bak's 2021 cap charge very low for a starting LT. Or not so low if there's some kind of a deal to not let cap shrink as much as feared.

If Ricky Wagner was "if all else fails, he starts at OT in 2021" -insurance, we can cut him this off-season for almost 5M cap space.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
16 Nov 2020 04:28
go pak go wrote:
15 Nov 2020 20:09
don't our RB's lead the league with yards after contact? so to me that translates to better OL man, less contact, how often do we get pushed back from guard to guard on short yardage runs? seems pretty regular to me, I'd like to see some daylight there when we need to convert 3rd and 1 like yesterday.
Is this a proposal? I'm confused what this response is aiming for.
Yoop wrote:

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

BF004 wrote:
15 Nov 2020 19:40
go pak go wrote:
Intresting.

I’ve been expecting that too. Feel like the stupid Patriots of all teams are gunna snag guys like Linsley, Montravious and Jamal for very cheap 1 year deals because no one has any money and they can offer slightly higher one year deals than everyone else.
Linsley not going to be cheap, no matter who signs him.
And I'm still under the belief that the cap isn't going to be shrunk as much as people think.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Christo wrote:
16 Nov 2020 09:55
BF004 wrote:
15 Nov 2020 19:40
go pak go wrote:
Intresting.

Linsley not going to be cheap, no matter who signs him.
And I'm still under the belief that the cap isn't going to be shrunk as much as people think.
Eh, if Linsley doesn't get the 3 for 45 deal in the first 2 weeks and suddenly everyone's out of big money, he might have to take like a 1 year 8 million deal.

I just think there are going to be some crazy steals late in the FA process. Just wouldn't surprise me if a team like that is the Patriots that scoop several pro-bowl level players for dirt cheap 1 year deals, then get all the comp picks the following year when they walk.