Bakhtiari extension - 4yr $105.5M

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

centers very frequently don't get paid. Sometimes they do. Sometimes starting centers who are mediocre get flat out cut and replaced. It's a tough position to predict the market.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
16 Nov 2020 07:39
Yoop wrote:
16 Nov 2020 04:28
go pak go wrote:
15 Nov 2020 20:09
But it is very, very nice to not have to worry about the left side of the Oline or the Oline in general this offseason. I feel confident with a 4th/5th draft pick and Lucas Patrick at Center, Runyan/Stepaniak/Taylor at RG and Turner/Runyan/draft pick at RT.
don't our RB's lead the league with yards after contact? so to me that translates to better OL man, less contact, how often do we get pushed back from guard to guard on short yardage runs? seems pretty regular to me, I'd like to see some daylight there when we need to convert 3rd and 1 like yesterday.
Is this a proposal? I'm confused what this response is aiming for.
Yeah, I'm confused too. Good yards after contact and broken tackles are marks of fine RBs, I mean, they will get hit at some point of a run. Good yards beforecontact is a mark of a good OL.

Currently Jones and Williams are a little above average (20th and 22nd) in yards before contact, which indicates our Oline has been OK, not great in their blocking. Jones is 12th in yards after contact, Williams 27th. Jones is 15th in tackles broken/runs, Williams 40th.

Play with the data yourselves: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... vanced.htm

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

BF004 wrote:
16 Nov 2020 10:15
Christo wrote:
16 Nov 2020 09:55
BF004 wrote:
15 Nov 2020 19:40

I’ve been expecting that too. Feel like the stupid Patriots of all teams are gunna snag guys like Linsley, Montravious and Jamal for very cheap 1 year deals because no one has any money and they can offer slightly higher one year deals than everyone else.
Linsley not going to be cheap, no matter who signs him.
And I'm still under the belief that the cap isn't going to be shrunk as much as people think.
Eh, if Linsley doesn't get the 3 for 45 deal in the first 2 weeks and suddenly everyone's out of big money, he might have to take like a 1 year 8 million deal.

I just think there are going to be some crazy steals late in the FA process. Just wouldn't surprise me if a team like that is the Patriots that scoop several pro-bowl level players for dirt cheap 1 year deals, then get all the comp picks the following year when they walk.
I don't doubt some big time bargains are going to be had. But a guy like Linsley is still young and can play for many years to come. I believe he'll get 10 to 12 million a year. Which puts him in the highest paid center category.
In my opinion, the only thing players like Linsley and others have to concern themselves with is the teams offering them contracts. Do they want to play for a garbage organization like the Jets or the Jaguars who clearly have money to spend?
Or maybe they aspire to win a championship.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:
15 Nov 2020 20:09
But it is very, very nice to not have to worry about the left side of the Oline or the Oline in general this offseason. I feel confident with a 4th/5th draft pick and Lucas Patrick at Center, Runyan/Stepaniak/Taylor at RG and Turner/Runyan/draft pick at RT.
don't our RB's lead the league with yards after contact? so to me that translates to better OL man, less contact, how often do we get pushed back from guard to guard on short yardage runs? seems pretty regular to me, I'd like to see some daylight there when we need to convert 3rd and 1 like yesterday.
my point is our interior OL lacks brute power to gap block, we do pretty well zone blocking, but we tend to get pushed around in man blocking, and when we play teams with quality ILB's neither scheme works as well as I'd like it to, our RB's use to lead the league in yrds after contact, sure thats a plus for the RB's, however it also sheds light that the blocking didn't give them a clean run lane.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
16 Nov 2020 11:19
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

my point is our interior OL lacks brute power to gap block, we do pretty well zone blocking, but we tend to get pushed around in man blocking, and when we play teams with quality ILB's neither scheme works as well as I'd like it to, our RB's use to lead the league in yrds after contact, sure thats a plus for the RB's, however it also sheds light that the blocking didn't give them a clean run lane.
Well we know Jenkins isn't going anywhere. And I also am confident he can be any top of guard we want.

Linsley has the potential to be replaced as does our RG spot. I doubt much resources will be put into it but we have the potentail there. Stepaniak is a man among boys. Lane Taylor also has great strength. I think our RG will see a jump next year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
16 Nov 2020 11:46
Yoop wrote:
16 Nov 2020 11:19
go pak go wrote:

Well we know Jenkins isn't going anywhere. And I also am confident he can be any top of guard we want.

Linsley has the potential to be replaced as does our RG spot. I doubt much resources will be put into it but we have the potentail there. Stepaniak is a man among boys. Lane Taylor also has great strength. I think our RG will see a jump next year.
always thought Linsley gets the max out of his size possible, so a bigger center might help as long as he's also as tecg sound as Linsley, Patrick is a bigger guy maybe he can do it, to me the issues are at C and RG.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Yoop wrote:
16 Nov 2020 12:07
so a bigger center might help as long as he's also as tech sound as Linsley,
Packers prioritize pass pro and smarts over girth and brawn at the Center spot, and with Rodgers on the back 9 - I don't see that changing.
If you want both, you're going to have to invest a 2nd/3rd instead of fishing off the 4th/5th pier.
IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
16 Nov 2020 12:37
Yoop wrote:
Packers prioritize pass pro and smarts over girth and brawn at the Center spot, and with Rodgers on the back 9 - I don't see that changing.
If you want both, you're going to have to invest a 2nd/3rd instead of fishing off the 4th/5th pier.
ya I know, however things change, we are getting the ball out quicker and we run as much as we pass, so better run blocking is needed more so now then ever.

I suppose being noted as a good run blocker will get you drafted higher, however Lang was pretty good and he was what a 4th or 5th rounder, to me so much about good run blocking is tech ability as much as a size thing, if your feet are faster ya win the leverage and you've set yourself up to win the war, either way I'd like to become a little stouter at C and RG, Jenkins at LG has looked pretty good to me.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
16 Nov 2020 13:30
BSA wrote:
16 Nov 2020 12:37
Yoop wrote:
ya I know, however things change, we are getting the ball out quicker and we run as much as we pass, so better run blocking is needed more so now then ever.

I suppose being noted as a good run blocker will get you drafted higher, however Lang was pretty good and he was what a 4th or 5th rounder, to me so much about good run blocking is tech ability as much as a size thing, if your feet are faster ya win the leverage and you've set yourself up to win the war, either way I'd like to become a little stouter at C and RG, Jenkins at LG has looked pretty good to me.
Everyone wants an Oline of players who are super agile and limber to pass block well and brute and huge to run block well...

Unfortunately lineman who are all that are usually early 1st rounders if T, and mid-to-late 1st if G . When you draft 'em later, usually you get more of one or the other (except if you're TT, then you only need the 4th round :) ).

IF you have to choose between an Oline who can dependably get 1 yard on 3rd and 1, or a line that can dependably pass pro on 3rd and 8, which one would you prefer?

For years, we've been building predominantly the latter kind of line without using a ton of early rounders nor massive FA money with remarkable success. It has led to not excelling in the brute force department, for sure. I'm OK with it, but do understand grass is greener feeling whenever we fail on short yardage runs.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

salmar80 wrote:
16 Nov 2020 13:49
Everyone wants an Oline of players who are super agile and limber to pass block well and brute and huge to run block well...
The spread offenses in college have also had an impact on the OL candidates that make it to the NFL. They aren't coming ready-made for NFL duty and as such need some teaching, technique and time to build an NFL body. Many of them played in a 2 point stance in college and need to get comfy and efficient from a 3 point - that takes time. But the NFL has fewer practices, fewer days in pads and not as much time with coaches so its a real challenge making the leap to the big leagues. If you want OL who are good at both coming out of college, those are premium picks as noted by Salmar

"Nowadays, with the advancement of the spread offense in college, a college offensive lineman may only rarely be asked to execute the same assignments and techniques that will be asked of him in the NFL."

Packers added Hanson, Stepaniak and Runyan last year and all of them get time to develop under the tutelage of NFL coaches. I'd guess they'll add more OL next April and if they want more bruisers like Stepaniak, they'll have to grab them from Big Ten teams that breed and train them in a pro- style offense
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So now Kenny and Bak done.

Leaves us with:
Aaron Jones
Kevin King
Corey Linsley
Jamal Williams
Montravious Adams
Lane Taylor
Mercedes Lewis
Tyler Ervin

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
16 Nov 2020 14:12
salmar80 wrote:
16 Nov 2020 13:49
The spread offenses in college have also had an impact on the OL candidates that make it to the NFL. They aren't coming ready-made for NFL duty and as such need some teaching, technique and time to build an NFL body. Many of them played in a 2 point stance in college and need to get comfy and efficient from a 3 point - that takes time. But the NFL has fewer practices, fewer days in pads and not as much time with coaches so its a real challenge making the leap to the big leagues. If you want OL who are good at both coming out of college, those are premium picks as noted by Salmar

"Nowadays, with the advancement of the spread offense in college, a college offensive lineman may only rarely be asked to execute the same assignments and techniques that will be asked of him in the NFL."

Packers added Hanson, Stepaniak and Runyan last year and all of them get time to develop under the tutelage of NFL coaches. I'd guess they'll add more OL next April and if they want more bruisers like Stepaniak, they'll have to grab them from Big Ten teams that breed and train them in a pro- style offense
I don't know to much about what is coached up in college, to me football is football, I don't understand what the spread has to do with run blocking, or even pass pro, we've always had to have great lateral blocking tech, and outside stretch run blocking wasn't invented recently.

almost without fail Thompson would draft a mid round groomer in every draft class, and as I've always said, line (both sides) are groomer positions by nature, specially so with ZBS where so much depends on the success of the guy next to you.

to me the biggest difference between a early versus later drafted lineman (any position really) is readiness to play at the pro level, or player floor, and the intangibles of a high ceiling.

I think times are changing, we are seeing less spread offense, the spread gained prominence 15 or so years ago at this level, DC's figured out how to slow those schemes down and unless you have a stable of single coverage beater receivers that get open on schedule the blocking can't stop the pressure, it's a act of futility and will probably cost your QB games or possibly a season as it has with Rodgers, the quick up tempo on schedule schems Lafluer brought are the schemes that will dominate the NFL for the next decade or so imo.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Check out Bak's press conference when he talked with reporters about his new deal on packers.com.

https://www.packers.com/video/bakhtiari ... he-packers

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

A monumental record-setting deal, at a time when the cap is shrinking and there are a lot of other UFA worth keeping in the next few years. I don't think this was a good move.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

BF004 wrote:
16 Nov 2020 14:24

Leaves us with:
Aaron Jones
Kevin King
Corey Linsley
Jamal Williams
Montravious Adams
Lane Taylor
Mercedes Lewis
Tyler Ervin
Out of those guys, Jones will cost the most, maybe more than the Pack are willing to spend.
I think Williams would be a good keeper at a fair price. Adams has flashed [ he always does ] but should be fairly inexpensive. Taylor coming off an injury, maybe the Pack is his best option. Ervin is a keeper. Lewis, depends on his desire to keep playing.
King and Linsley, too much money.

Think about the following year, Davante Adams up for a new deal. That's gonna be in the 20 million range.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Preston Smith will probably be cut next year and Rashan Gary will take over. That should free up a little cap space.
Love is the answer…

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

wallyuwl wrote:
16 Nov 2020 20:53
A monumental record-setting deal, at a time when the cap is shrinking and there are a lot of other UFA worth keeping in the next few years. I don't think this was a good move.
Yeah I’m not ready to say it was a BAD move, but I’m far more skeptical than most seem to be. And what you mentioned about the cap is why I asked if people thought he would get a record deal THIS YEAR on the open market. I know he would get paid, but is anyone trying to set records this year??

Idk...idk.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

wallyuwl wrote:
16 Nov 2020 20:53
This is my thinking, but I don't have a strong opinion. Maybe they really will be able to use it to be more flexible based on the cap but I am dubious.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

BF004 wrote:
16 Nov 2020 14:24

Leaves us with:
Aaron Jones
Kevin King
Corey Linsley
Jamal Williams
Montravious Adams
Lane Taylor
Mercedes Lewis
Tyler Ervin
The 2 best players on this list are Jones and Linsley. King is good but can't stay healthy. The others won't break the bank. Of the 2 perhaps Linsley could be the priority? IMO games are won in the trenches.