Packers @ Colts GDT 3:25 Sunday 11/22/20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Nov 2020 12:39
Yoop wrote:
18 Nov 2020 12:30
so much of what was successful the first 4 games was not scouted or game planned to stop it back then, however it's now the blue print to stop us, take away Adams and Jones and force the others to beat them, it's worked for us a couple times and hasn't against the better defenses, good explanation of our problems

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sport ... 712238001/
I'm not 100% sure I buy that take. The offense was running SO much like the 49ers' and to a lesser extent the Rams, plus related to what we ran last year, that it's tough to say that teams figured it out--especially when figuring it out means learning to stop our two best skill players--that's probably the default.

I think it's more that we have a VERY limited number of players who can consistently make up the difference, so losing several of them for pieces at a time created a much bigger dropoff.

Jones, Adams, and Lazard are almost never healthy together. Deguara and Lewis gave the TE position more flexibility. The OLine has been musical chairs.

For me the question is more: does getting our guys back healthy make the offense click like a switch? Or do we have to wait for the chemistry and connections to re-gel?

Because I think Adams, Lazard, Jones, Lewis, and our starting OL will all be in place for Indy; if it's back like magic, we're in good shape. If it takes time to get back on the same page and re-adjust, then we might be muddling through
good points, I've been trying to find something that shows the drop off % of pre snap motion which we used so much with our mis direction running attack, but this was the only article I could find.

I do think the loss of Erving, Jones, Adams not only at the same time but also just 1 or another coupled with the shifting at OL plays a huge part, we run out of players required to make that stuff work.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
18 Nov 2020 12:50
I will fight the notion that we are very limited after our top 3 playmakers are out or taken out of the fold. I mean what team honestly can't say that?

I actually have been impressed with this offense. Like super impressed. We have seen Tonyan, Jones, Adams, MVS, Lazard, JWill all step up as the top playmaker this year when it has been needed.

And Tonyan and Sternberger would be higher in the fold if not for Rodgers missing his throws to them.

I think the only real thing I see from this team is our offense is completely unstoppable if Aaron Jones is having a big game. Because then you sprinkle in Adams and the rest of the playmakers and this team just can't be stopped. And it makes sense. Jones is easy yards, easy stick moving and easy production.

It seems the most common thread in our losses in the MLF era is the opponents stopped Jones cold or Jones wasn't playing. But at the same time, we have also won a few games without Jones or without a productive Jones. But I don't think we have ever lost a game with a productive Jones in the MLF era.
this offense ran like a singer sewing machine till Ervin was hurt, no one had a answer to stop our pre snap motion, sure we can still score and move the chains minus one key player, however against the better defenses you need players key to the schemes you run the best, Ervin was a huge loss.

I can't find stats showing how much less we use pre snap motion, but the eye test tells me it's a lot less since we lost Ervin, Jones or Adams, Lazard too, however Ervin seemed like the main cog in that scheme

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The Jaguars I thought did a very good job of stopping the Ervin pre-motion and run stuff before he went down again.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Yoop wrote:
18 Nov 2020 13:05
till Ervin was hurt, no one had a answer to stop our pre snap motion, sure we can still score and move the chains minus one key player, however against the better defenses you need players key to the schemes you run the best, Ervin was a huge loss.
The combo of losing Ervin + Deguerra + Lovett took away some of the motion/flex stuff MLF was leaning into for 2020. MLF likes to run the same plays/concepts from 5 different alignments - and losing those movable chess piece players certainly impacts that strategy
IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
18 Nov 2020 13:18
The Jaguars I thought did a very good job of stopping the Ervin pre-motion and run stuff before he went down again.
long story short, my cable receiver &%$@ the bed and I lost all my recorded games, :( so I have no way to rewatch the Jags game, so I'll take your word for that, however I thought the Jones around for 10 plus and a first dn was off pre snap motion from Ervin???

thing is in order for the mis direction runs to work the lone blocker has to win that one on one matchup, if he struggles to do that then obviously rangy ILB's will arrive to shut the run down, if ya don't sell the pre snap motion fake, it wont matter, guys like Myles Jack will be there waiting for you to arrive an stomp ya :lol:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:
17 Nov 2020 18:40
Bummer ............ :cigar:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Nov 2020 11:44
Yeah, Packers from weeks 1 through 4 beat this team fairly easily. Packers of weeks 5 through 9 will struggle.

We've seen the ceiling of this team, and we've seen its vulnerabilities. This is the sort of game where we should hope to see a ceiling-type game re-emerge to get back on track and show our worthiness of our record. But it's also the sort of game that our vulnerabilities could cost us if we haven't gotten some of that ironed out. If Lazard is really back this week (not, like, back like Adams was at the end of the Jags game) and if Adams is actually healthy, I feel good about maybe getting back in sync.
Eh....... No worries for the wheels falling off yet ...... despite our questionable drafts and sometimes pitiful defense. We're 20-5 in the MLF regular season era so far. Still thankful that Brown County voted for the Lambeau Field rebirth when it did.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Some updates from Demovsky:
Allen Lazard did all the drills during the open portion of practice. So did Jaire Alexander, a sign he's made significant progress through the concussion protocol.
Davante Adams went through stretch inside but did not come outside for drills. Remember, he missed part of Sunday's second half with an ankle injury but came back to finish the game. Other DNPs: EQ St. Brown, Tyler Ervin, Montravius Adams.
Just because Allen Lazard is back on the 53 doesn't make it an automatic that he'll be active vs. the Colts. Core muscle surgery is a difficult recovery. "We're certainly going to have to ease him back in," coach Matt LaFleur said. "We're hopeful to have him back for Sunday, but we'll see how his body reacts."

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

I can't handle another Davante injury, especially with Lazard being "eased in".

Good news on King and Alexander though.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I think the Davante injury could be pretty huge. Even if he plays, we need him to be effective.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
18 Nov 2020 14:42
I can't handle another Davante injury, especially with Lazard being "eased in".
go pak go wrote:
18 Nov 2020 14:56
Yeah I think the Davante injury could be pretty huge. Even if he plays, we need him to be effective.
I expect him to barely practice all week and then play... give it as much time to heal as possible, jack it up with pain killers, and turn out solid.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
Any news about Ervin?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
18 Nov 2020 17:30
go pak go wrote:
Any news about Ervin?
He didn't practice
Yoop wrote:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

The betting line opened with the Packers favored by 2 points. Now the Colts are favored by 1 to 1.5 points. Hoping we win the turnover battle and tilt the odds in our favor. GO PACK GO !!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
18 Nov 2020 17:51
The betting line opened with the Packers favored by 2 points. Now the Colts are favored by 1 to 1.5 points. Hoping we win the turnover battle and tilt the odds in our favor. GO PACK GO !!
It's always been Colts -1.5 or -2. The line did not open with the Packers favored.
https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/ ... d-week-11/
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Nov 2020 20:49
It's always been Colts -1.5 or -2. The line did not open with the Packers favored.
The line opened with Packers favored at - 2.5 and flipped to Colts shortly thereafter
Its been a topic of discussion on several of the betting sites, Vegas Insider shows it below

https://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/matchups/
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BSA wrote:
18 Nov 2020 21:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Nov 2020 20:49
The line opened with Packers favored at - 2.5 and flipped to Colts shortly thereafter
Its been a topic of discussion on several of the betting sites, Vegas Insider shows it below

https://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/matchups/
I stand corrected! It's weird though. Some sites show Colts opening as favorites while a few show Packers opening as the favorite.
https://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/green-bay ... 22-1254860
https://www.bettingpros.com/nfl/news/co ... rs-105059/
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... -the-line/
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
18 Nov 2020 17:31
Pugger wrote:
18 Nov 2020 17:30
go pak go wrote:
Any news about Ervin?
He didn't practice
And his injury?

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pugger wrote:
18 Nov 2020 23:13
And his injury?

Ervin injured his:

IT. IS. TIME