General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

BSA wrote:
18 Nov 2020 21:58
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Nov 2020 21:40
Green Bay is 22nd in yards/punt in games outdoors with temps 40 or below, since 2018.
I don't know the methodology they use to arrive at those numbers, but sometimes its a function of the offense moving the ball and the punter is going for placement vs distance. Crappy offenses punt from their own 20, better offenses punt from midfield.
You'd like to be at least average outdoors
I think we've been going for it more on 4th down in the no man's land between punt or FG shot but I also don't remember a ton of placements where we actually pin the opponant deep. I wouldn't mind seeing stats for punting from inside your own 40 by itself and with temp 40 or less and see how that stacks up

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Cdragon wrote:
19 Nov 2020 08:06
BSA wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Nov 2020 21:40
Green Bay is 22nd in yards/punt in games outdoors with temps 40 or below, since 2018.
I don't know the methodology they use to arrive at those numbers, but sometimes its a function of the offense moving the ball and the punter is going for placement vs distance. Crappy offenses punt from their own 20, better offenses punt from midfield.
I think we've been going for it more on 4th down in the no man's land between punt or FG shot but I also don't remember a ton of placements where we actually pin the opponant deep. I wouldn't mind seeing stats for punting from inside your own 40 by itself and with temp 40 or less and see how that stacks up
I don’t know what the stats prove but my eye thinks that after about mid October Jk Scott is not worth a draft pick and a very pedestrian punter.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott was 31st out of 33 in yards/punt from week 6 on, last year. Weeks 1-6 he was 4th.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Nov 2020 08:19
Cdragon wrote:
BSA wrote:

I don’t know what the stats prove but my eye thinks that after about mid October Jk Scott is not worth a draft pick and a very pedestrian punter.
They really need to bring some serious competition next year for the punter job.
I'm also not all that impressed with the job Mennenga is doing.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I just don't get it.

Ever since 2005 all I hear is, "you gotta be good at special teams. We value special teams"

And yet we always suck at special teams.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
19 Nov 2020 09:23
I just don't get it.

Ever since 2005 all I hear is, "you gotta be good at special teams. We value special teams"

I feel like we’ve been generally quite good under LaFleur.

Bad play last week, but we also had a lot of replacement coverage guys in there.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
19 Nov 2020 09:59
go pak go wrote:
I just don't get it.

I feel like we’ve been generally quite good under LaFleur.

Bad play last week, but we also had a lot of replacement coverage guys in there.
We were on pace to be the only team in NFL history to have negative return yards until we luckily got Ervin on the team. I agree our punt coverage has been decent, but our punting itself in the cold hasn't been great and again, our return aspect really sucks outside of Ervin.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I think coverage is the best it has been, punting has been good, penalties seem to be way down. Crosby been lights out. ST has been a net positive more often than not.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

from Ben Fennell- talking about Packers offense on 3rd downs

"On third-and-short situations (3 yards or fewer), the Packers have only converted 20 of 35 attempts for a 57.1-percent rate, tying them for 26th in the NFL. In 2019, Green Bay finished 26th too.

However, flip over to the pesky third-and-long situations (6 yards or more) and the Packers are the best in the league, converting 38.8 percent of those scenarios.

It’s refreshing to see an offense with confidence pick up unfavorable downs and distances, but I know LaFleur wants to be a more effective team in the short-yardage situations. The short-yardage play calling could use some creativity and/or some personnel changes down the stretch this season."
IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Christo wrote:
19 Nov 2020 08:56
Drj820 wrote:
Cdragon wrote:

They really need to bring some serious competition next year for the punter job.
he's doing a pretty good job, same with the punter, two so so punts against 40 MPH wind gusts shouldn't signal demands for a new punter, this kid has a great leg, had a 60 yarder two weeks ago, dropped another couple inside the 5 yrd line in the last month.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
19 Nov 2020 10:49
from Ben Fennell- talking about Packers offense on 3rd downs

"On third-and-short situations (3 yards or fewer), the Packers have only converted 20 of 35 attempts for a 57.1-percent rate, tying them for 26th in the NFL. In 2019, Green Bay finished 26th too.

However, flip over to the pesky third-and-long situations (6 yards or more) and the Packers are the best in the league, converting 38.8 percent of those scenarios.

It’s refreshing to see an offense with confidence pick up unfavorable downs and distances, but I know LaFleur wants to be a more effective team in the short-yardage situations. The short-yardage play calling could use some creativity and/or some personnel changes down the stretch this season."
defenses stack the box on 3rd and short and our Oline doesn't seem able to get much push, we need bigger olineman :lol:

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Yoop wrote:
19 Nov 2020 11:12
Christo wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

he's doing a pretty good job, same with the punter, two so so punts against 40 MPH wind gusts shouldn't signal demands for a new punter, this kid has a great leg, had a 60 yarder two weeks ago, dropped another couple inside the 5 yrd line in the last month.
At his best, he's mediocre. And after Zook, he looks " God like ". As for Scott, we've seen the past 2 winters, he really falls off. I expect more of the same.
Yes, I realize he has a great leg, pretty much every punter does. I'm not demanding he be replaced, I want better competition next Spring. If somebody beats him, so be it.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
I just don't get it.

What are they gonna do? Go up to the podium and say "We hope our special teams is good."

Its all generic coach speak.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
19 Nov 2020 10:06
I think coverage is the best it has been, punting has been good, penalties seem to be way down. Crosby been lights out. ST has been a net positive more often than not.
I agree with this statement for the most part. It seems that JK's bad punts come at the worst times though. And the ST mistakes come in bunches. It's certainly better than it has been. But still plenty of room for improvement.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
I mean that punt returned sucked and Scott hasn't been the best, but otherwise we have been decent on special teams this year, especially when one considers the musical chairs that have happened due to injury. I think that specifically played a huge role in the punt return TD last week.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Nov 2020 10:20
BF004 wrote:
I mean that punt returned sucked and Scott hasn't been the best, but otherwise we have been decent on special teams this year, especially when one considers the musical chairs that have happened due to injury. I think that specifically played a huge role in the punt return TD last week.
We had the blocked punt too but that was due to a Practice Squad fill in as well.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Christo wrote:
19 Nov 2020 14:20
Yoop wrote:
19 Nov 2020 11:12
Christo wrote:

At his best, he's mediocre. And after Zook, he looks " God like ". As for Scott, we've seen the past 2 winters, he really falls off. I expect more of the same.
Yes, I realize he has a great leg, pretty much every punter does. I'm not demanding he be replaced, I want better competition next Spring. If somebody beats him, so be it.
special teams production has improved, and ya don't need to look at stats, it's obvious, same with Scott over the previous few punters we've had, and not all punters boom it, his directional kicking has been pretty good and his hang time allows our coverage to usually stop returns for short yardage, I think people just look for something to bitch about, he kicks against the weather, and the wind is almost always a factor.

sure bring in competition, but I don't want anything to mess with this kids confidence, we didn't spend a draft pick on him to just dump him over a couple weather affected punts, or poor coverage he has no control over.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
20 Nov 2020 10:23
Pckfn23 wrote:
BF004 wrote:
We had the blocked punt too but that was due to a Practice Squad fill in as well.
pressure has been Scotts biggest obstical, it's the same as pass pressure, it gets into your head, impossible not to.
seriously don't people see this stuff? ya can't just rate football according to a stat sheet, there are reasons for good or poor stats

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2020 11:11
go pak go wrote:
20 Nov 2020 10:23
Pckfn23 wrote:

pressure has been Scotts biggest obstical, it's the same as pass pressure, it gets into your head, impossible not to.
seriously don't people see this stuff? ya can't just rate football according to a stat sheet, there are reasons for good or poor stats
I actually think JK's greatest strength is his limited steps. He can get a punt off so quick he is nearly impossible to block.

And I don't think pressure has any correlation or significant R-squared value with temperature. Looking into the data, the biggest issue with JK's career in Green Bay has been his punting after November compared to other punters after November.

But yes. He did get a punt blocked vs I believe Houston.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

All this random punter talk really has me thinking of swapping my "Here's Johnny" pick to JK for the domed bounce-back game
:idn: