Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Before this week, Mahomes had a slight edge over Aaron in MVP betting odds with Russell already a fairy distant 3rd.

Aaron did nothing to move the needle either way and Mahomes had a bye week. Wilson had a pretty poor week, Kyler will move up to probably 3rd on the list.

Josh Allen maybe 4th.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Nov 2020 11:01
Christo wrote:
16 Nov 2020 10:44
Ahh, but you're not in front of the cameras. Name me one talking head who has ever said they were wrong?
This is just my opinion, but in they're little minds, Mahomes has already won an MVP. Murray is still very young and has lots of time to win one or several of them. But Wilson is approaching that questionable age where father time can diminish your skills in a hurry. Not to mention, his team is very shaky and who knows if they'll be any good in the next few years, They've drafted very poorly over the past few years, always looking to free agency to shore up they're failures in the draft.
So, the push is on to make sure they're guy gets one.
I meaaaaan, ok.

Shannon Sharpe says Mahomes and Skip Bayless says Kyler Murray on today's Undisputed--the pinnacle of talking heads.

USA Today had Kyler Murray's MVP campaign as a "winner" and the Seahawks' playoff odds as a "loser" in this morning's winners/losers commentary.

NFL MVP odds have shifted and Mahomes is now the favorite.

Like, people are seeing the same things you are. The narratives you have internalized that are the "talking heads" opinions are biased by the same early-season talk that you accuse the media of sticking by, but it's in your head that they are stuck. The narratives are evolving in real time in reality.
Maybe, but I still think the media will push Wilson for MVP. As far as what idiots like Sharpe and Bayless say, when have they been correct on anything?
All Bayless does is jerk off to the Cowboys and Sharpe just talks louder than Bayless.
And the fact that Shannon is in the hall of fame and Sterling isn't, is a crime.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So Brees is out for a while.

Honestly Jamies Winston looked pretty good yesterday.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
16 Nov 2020 11:04
How do they justify Wilson up there with 10 interceptions already on the season?

At this rate it’s got to be Mahomes I think. 25 TDs and only 1 pick. He’s got way more offensive talent than Rodgers does. That might be Rodgers only shot at winning MVP. I think the poor performance vs Brady is going to really hurt him in the MVP running.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Just win your games. If we are 13-3 Rodgers, it will be down to Mahomes and Rodgers and both will be very deserving.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Cardinals lost last night so they are now at 4 losses.

3 teams with 3 losses remain and 1 team with 2 losses.

Rams and Bucs play so we will for sure have 2 teams in that 3 loss category. Hoping the Rams win and then start losing in December.

Saints play the Falcons.
Yoop wrote:

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

paco wrote:
16 Nov 2020 11:04
Don't know why they call it MVP. it's become a QB award.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The quarterback has won the MVP every year for the exception of the following:

15 Running Backs
1 Kicker
1 Defensive Tackle
1 Linebacker
Yoop wrote:

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
20 Nov 2020 12:04
The quarterback has won the MVP every year for the exception of the following:

15 Running Backs
1 Kicker
1 Defensive Tackle
1 Linebacker
Without looking, because I'm too lazy, the defensive tackle was Alan Page, and the LB was Lawrence Taylor. Just guessing.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Nov 2020 09:57
Have we mentioned here yet that Brees might be a broken body? Is Jameis gonna keep them afloat the way Teddy Two Gloves did last year?
Looks like Tysom Hill has gotten the starter reps in practice.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Christo wrote:
16 Nov 2020 11:13
YoHoChecko wrote:
Christo wrote:
16 Nov 2020 10:44
Ahh, but you're not in front of the cameras. Name me one talking head who has ever said they were wrong?
This is just my opinion, but in they're little minds, Mahomes has already won an MVP. Murray is still very young and has lots of time to win one or several of them. But Wilson is approaching that questionable age where father time can diminish your skills in a hurry. Not to mention, his team is very shaky and who knows if they'll be any good in the next few years, They've drafted very poorly over the past few years, always looking to free agency to shore up they're failures in the draft.
So, the push is on to make sure they're guy gets one.
I meaaaaan, ok.

Shannon Sharpe says Mahomes and Skip Bayless says Kyler Murray on today's Undisputed--the pinnacle of talking heads.

USA Today had Kyler Murray's MVP campaign as a "winner" and the Seahawks' playoff odds as a "loser" in this morning's winners/losers commentary.

Like, people are seeing the same things you are. The narratives you have internalized that are the "talking heads" opinions are biased by the same early-season talk that you accuse the media of sticking by, but it's in your head that they are stuck. The narratives are evolving in real time in reality.
Maybe, but I still think the media will push Wilson for MVP. As far as what idiots like Sharpe and Bayless say, when have they been correct on anything?
All Bayless does is jerk off to the Cowboys and Sharpe just talks louder than Bayless.
And the fact that Shannon is in the hall of fame and Sterling isn't, is a crime.
To be fair Shannon even said at his induction speech that he’s the first member of his family to be in the HOF and the 2nd best player in his family. Sterling, as unfortunate as it is, didn’t have the longevity.

I can’t see the media pushing for Wilson with as many INTs as he’s had. Right now the undeniable favorite is Mahomes. He’s got more talent around him than Rodgers but watching the games there’s no doubt in my mind this is the best player in the league. Honestly Mahomes is still underpaid.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Cdragon wrote:
20 Nov 2020 15:21
YoHoChecko wrote:
Have we mentioned here yet that Brees might be a broken body? Is Jameis gonna keep them afloat the way Teddy Two Gloves did last year?
Fascinating. Triple option ftw?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Nov 2020 16:56
Cdragon wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
If Capers is the DC that would work.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Nov 2020 17:42
YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Nov 2020 16:56
Cdragon wrote:

If Capers is the DC that would work.
:lol:
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott Thompson
Fri, November 20, 2020, 9:28 AM EST
Blake Martinez celebrates after interception vs. Washington
Blake Martinez celebrates after interception vs. Washington
Through 10 games this season, it’s easy to love everything that Blake Martinez has brought to the Giants’ defense.

His affinity for tackling everything in sight hasn’t changed from his days in Green Bay. Of course, he’s the co-leader in that department at 96 combined tackles with Bears LB Roquan Smith. And you can see that the captain of the defense is extremely vocal each game, communicating with his teammates and truly being the anchor in the middle of the field.

But there is one part of Martinez’s game that was knocked the second GM Dave Gettleman signed him: coverage skills. There were a few reasons Alec Ogletree was cut from the Giants, but a main one was his inability to cover tight ends and receivers streaking across the field. With the Packers, Martinez had the same stigma, though he constantly said that he was working on that area of his game.

It looks like it’s working.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/one-flaw-b ... 52908.html

watch we'll let Oren Burks go and he'll become all Pro somewhere, Good for Martinez.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I mean when we drafted Blake, his biggest strength or attraction was his coverage skills in college.
Fourth round: Blake Martinez aims to provide cover for Packers defense
Rob ReischelSpecial to Packer Plus

Green Bay — In hindsight, the entire Martinez family should have listened to Carissa Martinez.

For months now, Carissa was telling her son, Blake, that he was going to be drafted by the Green Bay Packers.

'She was like, 'I believe you're going to end up at the Packers,'' Blake Martinez said.

Marc Martinez, Blake's father, wasn't buying it. So before the draft, Marc bought a hat from each of the NFL's 32 teams so Blake could be ready for a photo immediately after he was selected.

In the end, it was a waste of money. Mother did indeed know best.

The Packers chose Blake Martinez, a 6-foot-11/2, 240-pound inside linebacker from Stanford, with the first of their two fourth-round compensatory picks during Saturday's NFL draft.

'Obviously it was just a lucky guess type of thing,' Martinez said of his mom's prognostication skills. 'But it's just funny. My mom said right after, 'Moms are always right.' I'll take it.'

So will Green Bay.

The Packers believe Martinez, the 131st overall selection, can be an every down linebacker. At worst, Green Bay hopes they found the coverage linebacker they were desperately lacking.

'I kind of like everything about him,' said Eliot Wolf, Green Bay's director of football operations. 'He's athletic. He's productive. He played big-time football at Stanford. Can cover. Can blitz. Can sift over the top and make tackles on the outside. Thought he was a pretty versatile guy.'

Indeed.

Martinez was a run-stuffing inside linebacker as a junior. That season, he led the Cardinal with 102 tackles, had seven tackles for loss, 41/2 sacks, three interceptions and two forced fumbles.

In 2015, Martinez stayed on the field in all sub packages and had far more coverage responsibilities. Martinez led the Pac-10 with 10.1 tackles per game, had 11/2 sacks, six pass breakups and earned second- or third-team All-American honors from a variety of outlets.

'I think Blake is going to be a good player for us,' said Sam Seale, Green Bay's West regional scout. 'I think he's a smart guy, he can set a defense.

'I thought he was a big, physical guy, and we needed guys that are physical on the inside with the smarts to set up the defense. When I scout guys, I look to see if they play special teams, that's how I got my start. Everybody has to play special teams and hopefully he can do that.'

With Clay Matthews expected to move back outside, Sam Barrington and Jake Ryan are the frontrunners to start in the base. But Martinez will be given every opportunity to win a starting job, and should be an immediate contributor in sub packages.

Pro Football Focus ranked Martinez as the No. 1 coverage linebacker in this draft.

'This last year, they left it all to me. Every single time we were in our nickel package and our dime package, I would basically stay in,' Martinez said. 'We'd bring in another corner, and I'd go out and over the tight ends, running backs and those types of things. I felt like this last year I improved tremendously on that. I feel 100% confident to go out there and cover whoever I need to cover.'

There's a reason for Martinez's confidence: preparation.

During his time at Stanford, Martinez watched a great deal of film. He also took 12 pages of notes on each week's opponent.

The result? A player who could run a defense and was rarely surprised by what an offense threw Stanford's way.

'I pride myself on note-taking,' said Martinez, who scored 27 on the Wonderlic intelligence test. 'On Mondays, we have first- and second-down cutups and I'll go through, 'OK, this is what they run on this down and distance, on first down...' and doing those types of things where when I step on that field, I'm able to say, 'OK, first and 10 right here, we have trips, this is what they run, a zone read or some type or form of pass play.'

'So if I see run, I know the type of play that's going to be run and I go and make the play.'

Martinez's preparation — and work ethic — are two things that should serve him well in Green Bay.

Marc Martinez owns a construction business. And when Blake was about 10, Marc started giving him jobs on the site.

While other kids were playing video games, Blake was getting a lesson in the type of work ethic necessary to succeed long-term.

'My job was to go around and pick up every single nail... and my high score, I always kept a high score, and it was probably around 1,200 nails or something like that,' Martinez said. 'And he would give me a little magnet, probably 2 inch by 2 inch, and I'd have to go around and pick up all these nails, and I'd pile them up and I would count them.

'Then he would go around and see, 'OK, did you pick up every single nail?' And if I didn't, he wouldn't pay me, and if I did, he would pay me. And he paid me one penny per nail. So I think my best was about $10.'

Martinez's pay rate is about to escalate greatly. Perhaps the Packers' performance at inside linebacker will as well.

'He can bend, he can change direction,' Wolf said. 'I don't see coverage as an issue for him at all. Versatile guy. I think he was a high school quarterback. I think they recruited him as a linebacker. He's just been productive for them over his time.'

This story appeared in Packer Plus Magazine. To subscribe, call 414-224-2222 or go to www.jsonline.com/pack.

Yoop wrote:

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Nov 2020 15:44
Christo wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

I meaaaaan, ok.

To be fair Shannon even said at his induction speech that he’s the first member of his family to be in the HOF and the 2nd best player in his family. Sterling, as unfortunate as it is, didn’t have the longevity.

I can’t see the media pushing for Wilson with as many INTs as he’s had. Right now the undeniable favorite is Mahomes. He’s got more talent around him than Rodgers but watching the games there’s no doubt in my mind this is the best player in the league. Honestly Mahomes is still underpaid.
Anytime somebody says, Sterling didn't play long enough, I reply, what about Terrell Davis? If he's in the HOF because he was on 2 Superbowl winning teams, then why not put Marv Fleming in there?

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Christo wrote:
20 Nov 2020 20:04
lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Nov 2020 15:44
Christo wrote:

Anytime somebody says, Sterling didn't play long enough, I reply, what about Terrell Davis? If he's in the HOF because he was on 2 Superbowl winning teams, then why not put Marv Fleming in there?
Different positions have different considerations for getting into the hall. Pro Football Ref has a HOF stat with most guys who get in scoring around 100. Sterling hits 71, 37th among WRs. Terrell Davis is at 99, 11th among RBs. Shannon Sharpe is at 113, 3rd among TEs. Marv Fleming is at 19, 66th among TEs. Russell Wilson is at 66, 29th among QBs. AR is currently at 141, 6th among QBs. Troy Aikman is in with only 64. He never would have been in without being a cowboy and the SBs. Favre is at 178, 3rd among QBs.

Leroy Butler has a better case than I thought according to this. 97, 20th among DBs.