Packers @ Colts GDT 3:25 Sunday 11/22/20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
21 Nov 2020 04:28
go pak go wrote:
20 Nov 2020 20:27
What is Rodgers's history when going against Top 3 defenses?

On the top of my head....it's really not good.
What are anyone's stats against top 3 defenses? By definition, not good.
Exactly. That is why this forum and Packers nation in general should be pumping the brakes as far as expectations from this offense this weekend.

I am far more concerned about this defense being able to hold the Colts to 24 or less. Ideally 20 or less.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The Colts offense has 17 turnovers this year which is one of the higher teams in the league.

The Colts are averaging 27 points per game. The Packers are averaging 31 points per game.

The Colts are averaging 368 yards per game.

The Packers Defense
Yards Allowed: 10th. 335 yards per game
Passing Yards Allowed: 13th. 225 yards per game
Rushing Yards Allowed: 12th. 111 yards per game
Points Allowed: 15th. 24.9 points per game.

If we stay close or slightly below our average, especially for points, I will be a very happy camper tomorrow.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
21 Nov 2020 08:42
salmar80 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Exactly. That is why this forum and Packers nation in general should be pumping the brakes as far as expectations from this offense this weekend.

I am far more concerned about this defense being able to hold the Colts to 24 or less. Ideally 20 or less.
Also a fair point. I hope we get tough and commit to moving the chains on the ground with our well paid OL, and our 2 RBs that desire to stick around for next year. That may help take some pressure off our defense. But yes, the defense needs to step up also to win.

This is why I think this game is such a a good measuring stick. The Colts O is no juggernaut. They are bad at times, and decent when Rivers has time to get comfortable. Well fortunately for the Packers, we have a #12 overall draft pick, two OLB FAs who we made very rich, and a NT with a near record deal who shouldn’t allow Rivers to get comfy If they do what we pay them to do.

I believe if we have any hope to navigate through the NFC playoffs when we face good defenses and BETTER offenses than the Colts, we should be able to beat the Colts. I feel they are the “style” of the kinds of teams that stump us, but also not the quality of the types of offenses that destroy our D. Should be a great test.

I’m reserving a lot of judgement as far giving the Colts enough credit to say I fear them, or giving the packers enough credit to say we should win. I want to wait and see how we respond, and I plan to make a lot of judgements off this one game about our hopes for the future.

Honestly it’s a great game bc Colts fans probably feel the exact same way. “If we can beat the packers, we may be contenders”. “If we can’t beat the packers we may be a quick out in the postseason” kinda thing.

Go Packers!
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
21 Nov 2020 08:46
The Colts offense has 17 turnovers this year which is one of the higher teams in the league.

The Colts are averaging 27 points per game. The Packers are averaging 31 points per game.

The Colts are averaging 368 yards per game.

The Packers Defense
Yards Allowed: 10th. 335 yards per game
Passing Yards Allowed: 13th. 225 yards per game
Rushing Yards Allowed: 12th. 111 yards per game
Points Allowed: 15th. 24.9 points per game.

If we stay close or slightly below our average, especially for points, I will be a very happy camper tomorrow.
Over on FF a lot of Colts fans over there complained about Jonathan Taylor fumbling. I told them this was an issue of his when he was in Madison.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
salmar80 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Like every game for the Packers the key is to get an early lead. I don’t think that will really be the case in this one. I think we need to be patient in offense as it will be more of a field position game.

The defense needs to make stops happen early in drives. If the Colts pull ahead of us early it’s over.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

APB wrote:
20 Nov 2020 19:51
TheGreenMan wrote:
20 Nov 2020 18:33
I don't foresee a large margin win, but a tight game - enough to make you keep going back to the fridge.
You think I need a tight game for that...? :aok: :beer2: :beer:
:beer2:
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

go pak go wrote:
salmar80 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

We always have a knack of letting Rivers do whatever he wants, but I'm much more concerned about what Rodgers we're going to get on Sunday. This defense can give pressure, and if Rodgers ends up in a shell (much more common these days).... well, it could be a long Sunday. He's the key to the W. He's going to need to be fast and on target.
RIP JustJeff

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

TheGreenMan wrote:
21 Nov 2020 12:46
go pak go wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

We always have a knack of letting Rivers do whatever he wants, but I'm much more concerned about what Rodgers we're going to get on Sunday. This defense can give pressure, and if Rodgers ends up in a shell (much more common these days).... well, it could be a long Sunday. He's the key to the W. He's going to need to be fast and on target.
The Colts D hasn't exactly played a murderers row of Offenses. If one of their top Pass Rushers is out because of Covid I think we should be able to move the ball and score since we seem to be getting healthier. Defensively if we play too soft Rivers will have another great day against us. Hopefully it will end as most of them did and he loses.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:

which era of Aaron Rodgers? the early era when he had more then one Devonte caliber WR and a excellent OL it was rare for any defense to give Rodgers fits, however now with only ONE ( 1) Devonte he does struggle against defenses with excellent pass rush, and fair to middling coverage, doesn't this describe every good QB? to me they all struggle under a excellent pass rush, and even more so if the receivers they have to work with Cant separate quick.

imo this year we see Rodgers having the best success, well obviously when he has a lot of time to throw, but mostly when his first couple reads are open on schedule.

I think against a good defense like the Colts, we have to have some early success with small ball, running, and short quick hitters to move the chains will force the Colts to play single high and if the OL can give him some time he'll hit some big gainers.

If the defense is up to the challenge and we stay healthy it'll be a long afternoon for the Colts, it's that time of the season when Rodgers brings out the belt :aok:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
21 Nov 2020 15:07
go pak go wrote:

which era of Aaron Rodgers? the early era when he had more then one Devonte caliber WR and a excellent OL it was rare for any defense to give Rodgers fits, however now with only ONE ( 1) Devonte he does struggle against defenses with excellent pass rush, and fair to middling coverage, doesn't this scribe every good QB? to me they all struggle under a excellent pass rush, and even more so if the receivers they have to work with Cant separate quick.
Like all of them.

2009 - it was Minnesota
2010 - Chicago allowed 17, 10, and 14 (not including BJ's TD). The Jets allowed 3 FGs.
2011 - The Giants held Rodgers to 20 points in the playoffs
2012 - The Seahawks held Rodgers to 12 points. The Giants held Rodgers to 10.
2014 - It was the Seahawks and honestly even the Bills

We just hear about the strength vs strength. Top offense vs top defense. Often times as a Packers fan, I have seen the top defense prevail over our top offense.

I know the above listed are in the top echelon and qualify as "not many defenses can stop Rodgers" but the Colts are currently the top defense in the league.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

King now questionable with an Achilles. :roll:
JK Scott questionable- personal matter. Drew Kaser signed.
RB Mike Webster elevated to active roster.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

WTF.

Kevin King can't even not injure himself while boarding a plane.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
21 Nov 2020 15:53
King now questionable with an Achilles. :roll:
JK Scott questionable- personal matter. Drew Kaser signed.
RB Mike Webster elevated to active roster.
I guess those wanting a kicking competition with Scott got their wish.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I’m pretty surprised the packers don’t have an Ervin clone ready to be called up from the practice squad when ever Tyler is out. I mean he adds a nice wrinkle to our O, and “guy who can return punts, and is good at jet sweeps and motion but not running the ball from the tailback position” doesn’t seem like an impossible skill set to locate.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
21 Nov 2020 15:07
go pak go wrote:

which era of Aaron Rodgers? the early era when he had more then one Devonte caliber WR and a excellent OL it was rare for any defense to give Rodgers fits, however now with only ONE ( 1) Devonte he does struggle against defenses with excellent pass rush, and fair to middling coverage, doesn't this describe every good QB? to me they all struggle under a excellent pass rush, and even more so if the receivers they have to work with Cant separate quick.
Don't get me started ............ sorry to recall that a one receiver Packers offensive team used to be the norm. May I jog your memories with names like Perry Kemp, Sanjay Beach, Mark Clayton, Mark Ingram, Walter Stanley, Philip Epps, Aundra Thompson, Steve Odom, Barry Smith, Leland Glass, Bill Schroeder, Robert Ferguson, Terry Glenn ..... Although I always liked Walter Stanley as did most Packers fans. Epps was sort of OK too.

The 2020 rendition with MVS as receiver #2 isn't that bad really. Thankfully this season we have a running back and a tight end that can get open and catch the ball. Besides Aaron Jones, not sure who is able to consistently run after the catch. Waiting for Darrius Shepherd to arrive. Allen Lazard has been an unexpected ray of hope and breath of fresh air. Is Robert Tonyan the next Paul Coffman maybe?

BEAT THE COLTS !!

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

salmar80 wrote:
21 Nov 2020 08:01
Drj820 wrote:
21 Nov 2020 07:35
salmar80 wrote:

Good point, probably not rare to not have a big day against a top 3 defense. Packers problem is usually our own defense doesn’t hold up its end of the bargain when our usually Stellar O gets Stymied
Yeah, against the very best teams, your whole team must contribute in order to win. Points don't come easy.

Vs lesser teams you can make costly mistakes and overcome it due to strength in one phase.
When we protect the ball and play a clean game (minimize penalties) our chances of a win are dramatically better. Stating the obvious, I know...

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

The Colts are exactly the type of team the Packers have to beat if they have any chance of being a championship team.
As of now, the Pack has laid eggs every time they go up against a defense with speedy linebackers, just like the Colts have.
If LaFleur and Rodgers can't figure them out, then they're just pretenders.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Nov 2020 17:55
I’m pretty surprised the packers don’t have an Ervin clone ready to be called up from the practice squad when ever Tyler is out. I mean he adds a nice wrinkle to our O, and “guy who can return punts, and is good at jet sweeps and motion but not running the ball from the tailback position” doesn’t seem like an impossible skill set to locate.
what amasses me is that the FO didn't do everything possible to move up and take Justin Jefferson, or take a player like him later in last years draft class, MLF wants to run a small ball offense yet they pass on Small ball talent.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
22 Nov 2020 08:55
Drj820 wrote:
21 Nov 2020 17:55
what amasses me is that the FO didn't do everything possible to move up and take Justin Jefferson, or take a player like him later in last years draft class, MLF wants to run a small ball offense yet they pass on Small ball talent.
I can get behind Patrick Queen because he was available at our pick.

I will not get behind, the FO shoulda moved up for Jefferson or Auyick. Those players were not realistically within our grasp. They were taken too high. We would have had to jump MN who had WAY more draft capital then we had. You know how much we would have had to give up to jump MN? Because you know the trading partner would call MN and say, "GB is trying to jump you...what do you got?"

The draft picks behind...come on. Dillon has shown bright spots and Deguara did too before the injury.

Its one thing to use hindsight. Its another thing to use hindsight on players we just wouldn't have been able to get.

My top three wants were Queen, Jefferson and Aiyuck. I was with you. I want them. I also wanted TJ Watt. But it's far too early to nitpick about 2020 draft picks. Especially when our offense is clearly showing it has the horses to do whatever they want to teams.

The only time our offense has been stopped is because Rodgers sucked at Tampa. The wind took the ball away against MN and Adams dropped balls and fumbled the ball vs JAX.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Quick reminder that today from a standings perspetive, as in trying to get that #1 seed, this game is not a must win. Our must win games include conference games and hopefully get 1 of 2 remaining AFC games.

That said, I think we all know or want to see this as a character game because of the putz performances displayed since the bye.
Yoop wrote: