Packers @ Colts GDT 3:25 Sunday 11/22/20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Nov 2020 09:17
Yoop wrote:
22 Nov 2020 08:55
Drj820 wrote:
21 Nov 2020 17:55
I’m pretty surprised the packers don’t have an Ervin clone ready to be called up from the practice squad when ever Tyler is out. I mean he adds a nice wrinkle to our O, and “guy who can return punts, and is good at jet sweeps and motion but not running the ball from the tailback position” doesn’t seem like an impossible skill set to locate.
what amasses me is that the FO didn't do everything possible to move up and take Justin Jefferson, or take a player like him later in last years draft class, MLF wants to run a small ball offense yet they pass on Small ball talent.
I can get behind Patrick Queen because he was available at our pick.

I will not get behind, the FO shoulda moved up for Jefferson or Auyick. Those players were not realistically within our grasp. They were taken too high. We would have had to jump MN who had WAY more draft capital then we had. You know how much we would have had to give up to jump MN? Because you know the trading partner would call MN and say, "GB is trying to jump you...what do you got?"

The draft picks behind...come on. Dillon has shown bright spots and Deguara did too before the injury.

Its one thing to use hindsight. Its another thing to use hindsight on players we just wouldn't have been able to get.

My top three wants were Queen, Jefferson and Aiyuck. I was with you. I want them. I also wanted TJ Watt. But it's far too early to nitpick about 2020 draft picks. Especially when our offense is clearly showing it has the horses to do whatever they want to teams.

The only time our offense has been stopped is because Rodgers sucked at Tampa. The wind took the ball away against MN and Adams dropped balls and fumbled the ball vs JAX.
come on now your just defending this FO, we move up to get targeted players every year, instead of moving up for LOVE we should have went the extra distance for Jeffereson, even Auiak was only one pick away, what happened is we sat on our hands and watched as players that could have really made a diff. this year where snatched up., and what has Dillon shown you that he even has a fit in MLF's offense, and the jury is still in recess concerning the ability of DEquara, the future is now for Aaron Rodgers, and Love is no more then a prayer.

an d this offense has not shown that it has the weapons to compete against excellent defenses with second level lber talent, both Jefferson and Ayaik are weapons that work well against these type defenses, you and others complain when Rodgers is holding the ball, he's holding it because most of the receivers we have can't separate fast enough for him to get rid of it, instead of accepting that reality you clamor on that Rodgers has lost his ability to see open receivers, when we all know all QB's miss open receivers.

I'll cheer on all the receivers we have, I hope for the best from all of them, however I'am also a realist, and right now we are short a excellent slot receiver that could make Rodgers job a lot easier.

Jefferson has 700 plus receiving yards, we'd probably be undefeated right now if we had moved up and taken him.
20th pick - Jacksonville Jaguars select K’Lavon Chaisson, EDGE, from LSU.

21st pick - Philadelphia Eagles select Jalen Reagor, WR, from TCU.

22nd pick - Minnesota Vikings select Justin Jefferson, WR, from LSU.

23rd pick - Los Angeles Chargers (traded pick with Patriots) select Kenneth Murray, LB, from Oklahoma.

24th pick - New Orleans Saints select Cesar Ruiz, C, from Michigan.

25th pick - San Francisco 49ers (traded pick with Vikings) select Brandon Aiyuk, WR, from Arizona State.

26th pick - Packers select Jordan Love, QB, from Utah State.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Didn’t meant to start a draft debate in the GDT, was just saying a knockoff ervin could be found on the wire or the streets and be ready to do similar things as Ervin when Ervin is hurt. Maybe not do them as well, but at least allow us to stay in the same looks and have a PR that is better than what we could do out there. It would help us during this game against the colts also.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
22 Nov 2020 10:09
come on now your just defending this FO, we move up to get targeted players every year, instead of moving up for LOVE we should have went the extra distance for Jeffereson, even Auiak was only one pick away, what happened is we sat on our hands and watched as players that could have really made a diff. this year where snatched up
<sigh>

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Nov 2020 10:13
Didn’t meant to start a draft debate in the GDT, was just saying a knockoff ervin could be found on the wire or the streets and be ready to do similar things as Ervin when Ervin is hurt. Maybe not do them as well, but at least allow us to stay in the same looks and have a PR that is better than what we could do out there. It would help us during this game against the colts also.
sorry for the rant, it's just that I'am tired of our Gms (Ted did it to) drafting with so much focus on future seasons.

for instance Lafluer said our future is in mis direction, up tempo, with pre snap motions outside stretch runs, I'd like to know why you'd spend the 2nd round pick on a 6'2 240 lb plodder type rb? I think this is a legitimate question since he hasn't beaten even average lbers to the edge, my point is this, we will not get any needed help from our first 3 draft picks this season, granted Dequara is a injury issue, still I find this unexceptable.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
22 Nov 2020 10:39
Yoop wrote:
come on now your just defending this FO, we move up to get targeted players every year, instead of moving up for LOVE we should have went the extra distance for Jeffereson, even Auiak was only one pick away, what happened is we sat on our hands and watched as players that could have really made a diff. this year where snatched up
<sigh>

to funny, you complain about punters and kickers while none of our first 3 picks this year have amounted to anything even close to the slot they where taken

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Nov 2020 10:13
Lazard is a good replacement for the edge sweep and WR screens. He can't do the punt returning. I am surprised they haven't tried Shepherd or Taylor in that role.

I think we all want to loo at that gadget guys in the 2nd to 4th round next year.

But it's game day!!! Go get em boys!!! :banana: :banana:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
22 Nov 2020 10:46
my point is this, we will not get any needed help from our first 3 draft picks this season, granted Dequara is a injury issue, still I find this unexceptable.
Remember that thing where I keep pointing out that MLF seems to only play rookies in sparse quantities and if his hand is forced?

Remember when TT refused to sign free agents and everyone pointed out that it forced us to play too many rookies too often and rookies, even promising ones, are often the culprits of rookie mistakes and miscues?

It's a pretty rare rookie that changes a playoff team to a championship team.

We're the 1-seed in the conference without much in the name of rookie contributions, and that's in large part due to the emerging contributions of past draft picks and the acquisitions of free agents to bolster more-immediate needs.

BG should have been executive of the year last year and that's a hill I'll die on.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
22 Nov 2020 10:52
Lazard is a good replacement for the edge sweep and WR screens. He can't do the punt returning. I am surprised they haven't tried Shepherd or Taylor in that role.

I think we all want to loo at that gadget guys in the 2nd to 4th round next year.

But it's game day!!! Go get em boys!!!
I'm wondering if/when Taylor is ever going to get his time. Obviously, maybe not now with the WR corps back healthy, but there was talk of him taking handoffs in camp and with Ervin missing extended time, I'm surprised he hasn't done that movement/gadget stuff for us more often.

Taylor was a kickoff return guy during his rookie preseason and I hated him in that role; he just didn't succeed, though his skillset should have made more sense for it. It's probably more of a vision and instincts deficit in that regard. I wonder if he's still in any of the return rotations in practice.

Unfortunately, the gadget guys this year are smaller than they were last year (in the draft, that is). I spent all of this morning watching punt returners and weeding through the top guys and they're almost all under 5'11 and under 190 pounds. Most even smaller. Last year, with thicker recievers like Ayiuk and Reager, not to mention a guy like an Antonio Gibson or a Lynn Bowden, both are the size of RBs--and not slight ones--there were a lot more RB/WR/gadget options that I felt more comfortable.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:

Jefferson has 700 plus receiving yards, we'd probably be undefeated right now if we had moved up and taken him.
I mean I love Jefferson. I love Queen. I love Aiyuck.

I really, really doubt we are undefeated right now if we picked any of them. Queen likely had the best chance to at least reduce one loss as he may have done better vs Cook.

We lost to the Bucs because Rodgers spotted the Bucs 14 points, Pettine sent 3 on 3rd down twice in the redzone and Jackson couldn't turn his head on soild coverage which turn into a 49 yard penalty.

That is 29 points right there the Bucs got gifted to them and no slot receiver was changing that.

We lost to the Vikings because we couldn't tackle worth sh*t and played horrible against the screen game which again primarily came down to tackling. And Rodgers missing a wide open Tonyan, Sternerberger (wind is a valid excuse) and the refs being chicen sh*t by calling our CBs twice but picking up their DPI and not calling a face mask certainly didn't help.

Again, I don't see how a slot receiver changes that.

Absolutely would be nice to have a slot we all covet. And yes the interception vs Jacksonville was most likely MVS's fault because he ran a pansy route and faded when he should have run his crosser strong.

Most likely, Rodgers isn't winning another ring. This is true whether we drafted Jefferson or not. I guess the advantage BG is doing is it will always create an excuse for why Rodgers couldn't win more then 1 and will at least provide an excuse today as to why Rodgers can't attack a solid defense. Because that certainly appears to be the setup you're going after.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
22 Nov 2020 11:06
I guess the advantage BG is doing is it will always create an excuse for why Rodgers couldn't win more then 1 and will at least provide an excuse today as to why Rodgers can't attack a solid defense. Because that certainly appears to be the setup you're going after.
We're gonna attack the snot out of a solid defense today.

OLine, Lazard, red zone.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Nov 2020 11:09
go pak go wrote:
I guess the advantage BG is doing is it will always create an excuse for why Rodgers couldn't win more then 1 and will at least provide an excuse today as to why Rodgers can't attack a solid defense. Because that certainly appears to be the setup you're going after.

OLine, Lazard, red zone.
LET'S FLIPPING GO!!!!!

I have no expectations for this week. It is the first game I predicted us to not win this year. Prove me wrong Pack. Let's put up 28 and hold em under 20.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

And this is absolutely a championship caliber team.

We have the pieces. We just need to get/stay healthy and play to the level they are playing.

This team can take the next jump if we see a jump in play from our safeties, Martin/Kirksey and Adams/Keke

Finally, I think our largest X factor on offense is the tight ends. We would be talking about these tight ends SOOOO MUCH if Rodgers just hit them in stride. They got to figure that out because we are talking hundreds of yards and multiple TDs left off the score board since the bye because the TE weren't hit with good throws.
Yoop wrote:

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

The way people talk about Rodgers on this forum leads me to think they have never seen another QB play.

Rodgers has never been the problem about Packers getting a chip.

Talk about Tonyan and Sternberger? They are lucky to be on a roster.

Rodgers could fart a ball 50 yards through a perfect window and everyone would be like great go route MVS.

A little more respect for the hall of fame, sb winner, sb MVP and MVP and single season highest ever QB rating

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

That guy needs to show up then. This year, for the most part, he has. The previous 3 seasons, not so much. Whatever he found before the season is working.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
22 Nov 2020 13:03
The way people talk about Rodgers on this forum leads me to think they have never seen another QB play.

Rodgers has never been the problem about Packers getting a chip.

Talk about Tonyan and Sternberger? They are lucky to be on a roster.

Rodgers could fart a ball 50 yards through a perfect window and everyone would be like great go route MVS.

A little more respect for the hall of fame, sb winner, sb MVP and MVP and single season highest ever QB rating
I don't really understand what this post is getting to.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Kevin King and JK Scott are a go.
image.png
image.png (8.01 KiB) Viewed 275 times
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Nov 2020 11:12
YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Nov 2020 11:09
go pak go wrote:

OLine, Lazard, red zone.
LET'S FLIPPING GO!!!!!

I have no expectations for this week. It is the first game I predicted us to not win this year. Prove me wrong Pack. Let's put up 28 and hold em under 20.
hey I think we may have all the talent to go all the way, it's just that I would feel more assured with Justin Jefferson clearing short center with some pigskin :dunno: he became my fav of last years draft and imho would fit Lafluers offense to a tee, but mostly I was just ranting, if we play up to our ability we can compete against anyone.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Uh oh, Lazard may have a concussion even before the game... Clearly confused about the sport. :)

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:
22 Nov 2020 09:17
Yoop wrote:
22 Nov 2020 08:55

what amasses me is that the FO didn't do everything possible to move up and take Justin Jefferson, or take a player like him later in last years draft class, MLF wants to run a small ball offense yet they pass on Small ball talent.
I can get behind Patrick Queen because he was available at our pick.

I will not get behind, the FO shoulda moved up for Jefferson or Auyick. Those players were not realistically within our grasp. They were taken too high. We would have had to jump MN who had WAY more draft capital then we had. You know how much we would have had to give up to jump MN? Because you know the trading partner would call MN and say, "GB is trying to jump you...what do you got?"

The draft picks behind...come on. Dillon has shown bright spots and Deguara did too before the injury.

Its one thing to use hindsight. Its another thing to use hindsight on players we just wouldn't have been able to get.

My top three wants were Queen, Jefferson and Aiyuck. I was with you. I want them. I also wanted TJ Watt. But it's far too early to nitpick about 2020 draft picks. Especially when our offense is clearly showing it has the horses to do whatever they want to teams.

The only time our offense has been stopped is because Rodgers sucked at Tampa. The wind took the ball away against MN and Adams dropped balls and fumbled the ball vs JAX.
come on now your just defending this FO, we move up to get targeted players every year, instead of moving up for LOVE we should have went the extra distance for Jeffereson, even Auiak was only one pick away, what happened is we sat on our hands and watched as players that could have really made a diff. this year where snatched up., and what has Dillon shown you that he even has a fit in MLF's offense, and the jury is still in recess concerning the ability of DEquara, the future is now for Aaron Rodgers, and Love is no more then a prayer.

an d this offense has not shown that it has the weapons to compete against excellent defenses with second level lber talent, both Jefferson and Ayaik are weapons that work well against these type defenses, you and others complain when Rodgers is holding the ball, he's holding it because most of the receivers we have can't separate fast enough for him to get rid of it, instead of accepting that reality you clamor on that Rodgers has lost his ability to see open receivers, when we all know all QB's miss open receivers.

I'll cheer on all the receivers we have, I hope for the best from all of them, however I'am also a realist, and right now we are short a excellent slot receiver that could make Rodgers job a lot easier.

20th pick - Jacksonville Jaguars select K’Lavon Chaisson, EDGE, from LSU.

21st pick - Philadelphia Eagles select Jalen Reagor, WR, from TCU.

22nd pick - Minnesota Vikings select Justin Jefferson, WR, from LSU.

23rd pick - Los Angeles Chargers (traded pick with Patriots) select Kenneth Murray, LB, from Oklahoma.

24th pick - New Orleans Saints select Cesar Ruiz, C, from Michigan.

25th pick - San Francisco 49ers (traded pick with Vikings) select Brandon Aiyuk, WR, from Arizona State.

26th pick - Packers select Jordan Love, QB, from Utah State.
Looking back I think AJ Brown would have been a better pick than Savage. Just sayin'. And Randall Cobb is still playing at a high level. GO Packers!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Phillip Rivers is the only QB this year to be sacked less than 10 times.

So I don't expect us to get much pressure on him today.
Yoop wrote: