Packers @ Colts GDT 3:25 Sunday 11/22/20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Nov 2020 21:18
go pak go wrote:
22 Nov 2020 21:11
Drj820 wrote:
22 Nov 2020 20:55
Aaron Jones had ten carries today. This is the guy many are saying is a must resign. Put me in the group of people that really want him back.

Not sure a stat line like that shows the Packers care if he stays or Goes.
And you know what is disgusting about this?

We were actually really effective running the ball with Jones. He got out on the tackles a lot.
Lafleur saying he wants to be a running team, and the packers shifting most of their personnel decisions in the direction of being a run team, or at least doing things off the run...and then giving jones 10 carries when he was running well...is the number one thing that makes me mad about the team right now.

I know what the defense is. I’ve accepted who Pettine is. My solution is keep the defense off the field by controlling the ball through being tough and pounding the rock.

But this team won’t even run the ball on 3rd and 4th and 1.

Gross.
They've been abysmal on 4th and ones this year. Everyone's figured out MLFs play, hand it off to Jones up the middle. It doesn't work.
As for LaFleur, he's becoming McCarthy right before our eyes. McCarthy always talked about " running the ball more "
And as the game went by, he ran it less and less.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

We just find ways to lose to good teams. It's so frustrating: Godgers is back, even stays healthy, and we cannot take advantage. :cry:

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

go pak go wrote:
22 Nov 2020 20:46
Yoop wrote:
22 Nov 2020 19:18
the offense did enough to win this game, our defense isn't able to get off the field, week after week we give up 3rd and long, 3rd and short, and we suck on 1str and 2nd down too.

feel bad for Scantling, however it's the same with some of the other players, it's great that they usually play well, it's the plays that they don't that are killing us.
And Rodgers too right? Like I'm not just picking on Rodgers. Lots of players f'ed this up. But if you want to be the MVP, play like a dam MVP.

When the game is on the line and you have a wide open Robert Tonyan on 3rd and 8, make the pass so he doesn't have to run up to the ball and be short of the chains to force a 4th down.

And when it is 3rd and goal...don't stare down your top WR and not look at a wide open Robert Tonyan in the endzone that would have sealed us the game.

Yes. MVS fumbled and yes this is another game where Rodgers didn't have a shot to close it. But dammit he also did have two shots to close it before that and he didn't.

Who lost this game today? Literally every player on this team lost this game.
The coaches share as much, if not more blame for this loss. Having no answer for a team trying to force your kick returner to return the kick because they know he isn't good at all. An offense that seems afraid to be physical which sets a tone for the players. What more can be said about the defense that hasn't already been said. The tone of the team's mentality is set by the coaches and they failed miserably.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

INDIANAPOLIS - Say all you want about the four turnovers that the Green Bay Packers allowed Sunday in a 34-31 overtime loss to the Indianapolis Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium, but they were not the main culprit in defeat.

Put all the blame on the Packers’ coaching staff.

From the abysmal special teams play to the miscalculations and lack of discipline on defense to the highly questionable short-yardage calls and inability to feed their play-makers on offense, this game reeked of a coaching failure.

Put the loss at the feet of coach Matt LaFleur, who is the one who approves the game plans in all three phases and is in charge of finding a way to turn the momentum around in a game that is getting away.

But standing right behind are defensive coordinator Mike Pettine and special teams coach Shawn Mennenga.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sport ... 382027002/

plenty of blame to go around, but we where out coached in the 2nd half, 10 touches to one of the best RB's in the league, are we having him ride pine to keep his price tag low, or are we even interested in signing him?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

German_Panzer wrote:
23 Nov 2020 01:38
We just find ways to lose to good teams. It's so frustrating: Godgers is back, even stays healthy, and we cannot take advantage. :cry:
Can we pump the brakes on this whole Godgers thing until he actually becomes Godgers again?

The guy had two opportunities on his own to win this game and he couldn't do it.

MVPs win you games. MVPs show up when it counts. This is as much Rodgers's offense as it MLF's offense.

When it's 3rd and 8 and the Colts allow Tonyan to get a cutback right at the chains....throw the ball to the chains. Don't underthrow the ball and make Tonyan come back a yard to not move the chains.

When you have 50 seconds left and you get the ball to Adams inside the 10.....don't spike it. Call a quick play and at least get the opportunity to give yourself a shot in the back of the endzone.

When it's 3rd down and you have a shot to win the game...win the game. Find the open TE and don't stare down one WR.

If we had Godgers yesterday, we would be 8-2.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

What is encouraging and really frustrating are that our players had really good games.

Like Kenny Clark OWNED Quenton Nelson. My gawd Kenny Clark is back folks.

Z Smith for the most part had a good game until the collapse and then nearly got the play of the game but still a hell of a play.

Rashan Gary looked pretty good during the game.

Darnell Savage had a very good game.

Jaire had his typical game.

MVS was a rockstar bailing us out twice.

We ran the ball better then I thought we would.

We got the tight ends involved like I was hoping we would.

We played significantly better then I thought we would and still lost. That stings. That stings a lot.

And Preston Smith...you need to go.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 05:59
German_Panzer wrote:
Can we pump the brakes on this whole Godgers thing until he actually becomes Godgers again?

The guy had two opportunities on his own to win this game and he couldn't do it.

MVPs win you games. MVPs show up when it counts. This is as much Rodgers's offense as it MLF's offense.

When it's 3rd and 8 and the Colts allow Tonyan to get a cutback right at the chains....throw the ball to the chains. Don't underthrow the ball and make Tonyan come back a yard to not move the chains.

When you have 50 seconds left and you get the ball to Adams inside the 10.....don't spike it. Call a quick play and at least get the opportunity to give yourself a shot in the back of the endzone.

When it's 3rd down and you have a shot to win the game...win the game. Find the open TE and don't stare down one WR.

debatable, the receiver is tasked with setting up for the QB to throw to him, I didn't see Tonyun come back for the ball, Rodgers threw it where only Robert could catch it, you bitch about Rodgers every time he doesn't carry this team toi victory, Rodgers didn't call the plays in the 2nd half, didn't plant Jones on the bench for most of it either, Lafluer called a terrible 2nd half and all you want to do is bitch about about the QB's inability to over come that, no QB makes every throw, see's every open receiver, or is able to over come his own or all the other players mistakes, your just looking for a scape goat, and as usual it's Rodgers.
If we had given Jones 20 touches we would be 8-2

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
23 Nov 2020 06:34
go pak go wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:

debatable, the receiver is tasked with setting up for the QB to throw to him, I didn't see Tonyun come back for the ball, Rodgers threw it where only Robert could catch it, you bitch about Rodgers every time he doesn't carry this team toi victory, Rodgers didn't call the plays in the 2nd half, didn't plant Jones on the bench for most of it either, Lafluer called a terrible 2nd half and all you want to do is bitch about about the QB's inability to over come that, no QB makes every throw, see's every open receiver, or is able to over come his own or all the other players mistakes, your just looking for a scape goat, and as usual it's Rodgers.
I have many posts here saying this was a total team effort loss.

I have to bring up the Rodgers thing because over and over and over and over again this forum and Packers fans as a whole give our playmakers such a pass. They can never do any wrong. Instead it's always everybody else's fault.

Rodgers said himself he wish he got that 3rd down back. Do you not agree that if we are going to anoint him MVP and we are going to call him Godgers that he should win the game when he had two opportunities to do it?

Isn't that what MVPs do? Isn't that what Godgers would do?

And I get the whole Aaron Jones needs more touches. I absolutely do. But to get those touches, we need to get that first, first down in the 2nd half. We go through these spurts where we can' convert 3rd and 4 or less and we go on spurts on the other side where we can't get off the field on 3rd and 8 or longer and as a result we have 6 plays in the 2nd half until 5 minutes to go.

It's a recipe to lose football.

But playmakers make plays. Even when everything is crashing around them. And Rodgers didn't do it. I'm not blaming him. I'm not yelling at him. But I am saying let's pump the brakes on the whole Godgers thing because Godgers would have won that game. But Rodgers didn't win that game.

He is not Godgers.
Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Nov 2020 20:56
go pak go wrote:
22 Nov 2020 20:48
Pugger wrote:
22 Nov 2020 20:46

I may have mis-typed but didn't we go for it on 4th down when we were in FG range (and not necessarily in the red zone)? :dunno:
No
She’s talking about when it was 31-28 and 4th and 1 and threw the ball and missed Jamaal instead of let Crosby tie the game. We were in range.
Oh good. I thought I was getting senile... ;)

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Would love to know how many times we run the ball on 3rd and less than 5. I bet it's less than 20% of the time. Were very predictable in those downs. that's why our short yardage plays don't work. 3 TEs, no fullback and everyone in tight. Our vaunted O-line can't get a push. How many times have we heard that the execution was bad on a short run that doesn't work.

So many things to be mad about.

On that 4th & 1 pass to Jamal the DTs were split on either side of Jenkins, you mean to tell me a QB sneak with no one in front of the center won't work?
Letting the clock run 15 seconds off with 1:20 left before snapping the ball.
Spiking it with 47 seconds left at the 15 yard line.
Rodgers was always at his best in no-huddle and we never use it until the end of games now. Sick of snapping the ball with 2 seconds left every friggin down.

Rant over!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 06:58
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I have to bring up the Rodgers thing because over and over and over and over again this forum and Packers fans as a whole give our playmakers such a pass. They can never do any wrong. Instead it's always everybody else's fault.

Rodgers said himself he wish he got that 3rd down back. Do you not agree that if we are going to anoint him MVP and we are going to call him Godgers that he should win the game when he had two opportunities to do it?

And I get the whole Aaron Jones needs more touches. I absolutely do. But to get those touches, we need to get that first, first down in the 2nd half. We go through these spurts where we can' convert 3rd and 4 or less and we go on spurts on the other side where we can't get off the field on 3rd and 8 or longer and as a result we have 6 plays in the 2nd half until 5 minutes to go.

But playmakers make plays. Even when everything is crashing around them. And Rodgers didn't do it. I'm not blaming him. I'm not yelling at him. But I am saying let's pump the brakes on the whole Godgers thing because Godgers would have won that game. But Rodgers didn't win that game.

He is not Godgers.
Rodgers shouldn't have to be Godgers for us to win these games, your unrealistic about this stuff, at least 2 or 3 times yesterday Aikman said he had no one open, and it's up to Lafluer to scheme people to be open, we see so little of what we did to start this season that was so successful, and it's not always because this or that player is injured, when Jones only gets 10 touches, and you pass on 3rd and short 3 or 4 times it's coaching issues, every week it's Rodgers not being Godgers.

we needed a Ervin clone yesterday, short kickoffs assured the colts that we would have a long field, Shepard is a huge drop off, no st's coach would bother to kick it into the EZ, no fear of Shepard running one back.

I'll give this FO one more draft class to help this old QB get another ring, but thats it, any more idiotic high slot draft picks and I'am done

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

bud fox wrote:
22 Nov 2020 22:00
Labrev wrote:
22 Nov 2020 21:29
Yeah, MLF went full MM today on run/pass balance. I get the instinct to throw when you have a QB like Rodgers, but c'mon, get some yards on the ground to help him out. And give Jones the opportunity to break a few.

I feel like they chickened out over the change at Center.
We weren't running it great and were moving it pretty easy through the pass.

Problem was 3 fumbles and a interception.
You can't turn it over 4 times and expect to win. No team can do that. It was a minor miracle we were in position to before MVS's fumble in OT.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Christo wrote:
22 Nov 2020 23:58
go pak go wrote:
22 Nov 2020 20:47
I picked the Packers to lose.

I figured we would lose. What hurts so much is this Packers team played so well that first half. I mean we almost lost this game while losing the turnover battle 3 to 1. On the road. Vs the top NFL defense.

Like that would have been so cool.

But I honest to goodness don't understand our defensive philosophy from a schematic standpoint on 3rd down.
Can everyone admit, this team cannot play 60 minutes of football. They haven't done it since maybe 2014. I see clowns like Savage dancing around after tipping a pass away on 1st or 2nd down and watch them give up a first down on the same series. Can somebody explain to me why you celebrate on 2nd down, anybody????

As for defensive philosophy, it's easy. Don't give up the big pass play [ try not to pay attention to Pittman running past 11 guys looking at everyone else on the field except Pittman ] But let the opponent move up and down the field with 7, 8 10 yard plays and score TDs, but just don't give them big pays.

Here are some of the things I won't bother to listen to tomorrow. We have to play consistently for 60 minutes. A couple of plays didn't go our way. Give credit to the Colts, they played a great game. I thought our guys gave it they're all.
Did I miss anything? That seems to be MLFs standard presser these days.

P.S. if the Pack fired Pettine tomorrow, would anyone notice? I guess what I'm saying is, would the defense be any worse without a defensive coordinator?
I truly believe, nobody on that defense believes they can make a play when it matters. Not because they don't have confidence in themselves, but because they are put into positions where they can't make the play.

Nobody can cover a receiver if he's getting 10 yard cushions, nobody.

The more I type, the more pissed I get. This team gave up 7 yards on a QB sneak, how is that possible?
At least they are showing some heart and spirit.

I will agree it is so maddening that we cannot cover receivers in the middle of the field. This has been a problem for a while now.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

He is not Godgers.
But we would be the Jets without him.
Last edited by Pugger on 23 Nov 2020 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
23 Nov 2020 07:44
bud fox wrote:
Labrev wrote:
22 Nov 2020 21:29
Yeah, MLF went full MM today on run/pass balance. I get the instinct to throw when you have a QB like Rodgers, but c'mon, get some yards on the ground to help him out. And give Jones the opportunity to break a few.

I feel like they chickened out over the change at Center.

You can't turn it over 4 times and expect to win. No team can do that. It was a minor miracle we were in position to before MVS's fumble in OT.
I disagree. We should have won that game. It only appeared a miracle because the refs didn't call the blatant facemask to get us in easy field goal range, the refs called a ticky tack holding call on Lewis on a really nice Jamaal Williams run and Rodgers threw a bad ball to Tonyan and also maybe should have hit Quez on that play anyways.

It only appeared to be a miracle because the Colts kept holding and Rodgers and MVS had the sickest play of the year with a 1:30 to go.

We were the better football team yesterday. We lost a game we should have won. And once again it was largely because we were out coached. And it is getting really frustrating seeing these coaches sh*t the bed every time we have a big prime time game.
Yoop wrote:

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

He is not Godgers.
You're correct on many points. It is a total team game, players and coaches. For the past few weeks we've heard about handling adversity. Well, yesterday was a game full of it, and the Packers didn't handle it well.
We keep talking about keeping this team together and thinking of ways to pay for player X. Some on here say this team has the talent to win it all.
But I ask, what good is talent if it's not used?
We know Preston Smith can play, we've seen it, we know Savage has all of the physical tools. We know they can play great in spurts. But we also know they can disappear in the blink of an eye.
The question is, why do these players lay down and play lazy football? Why do they sleepwalk for entire halves of games?
Why do coaches who know what they're own weaknesses are, allow other teams to exploit them?
For the most part, the Packers have played in a pretty weak division over the past 10 or so years. They've had some nice records over those years. But when it comes to standing out among the top teams in the league, they have come up short.
I don't know if LaFluer is the guy to lead them to the top. He doesn't come across as someone who can kick some of these players in the ass, which is exactly what they need.
Changes need to be made. I understand that moves during the season are not going to happen. But come day one after they're season is over, start showing some of these coaches the door.
I've said before, don't like people getting fired, but these guys make a good buck and are expected to have they're position groups ready for anything. What I see now, is a bunch of guys looking lost in key moments of games. That is what coaches are supposed to correct, at least the good ones do.
I'm not calling for MLF to be let go. But he picked most of the coaches, and more than a few have been less than stellar. If he doesn't make changes after seeing them fail, then he's not much of a leader.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
23 Nov 2020 07:52

But we would be the Bears without him.
That really depends on who the replacement QB would be.
Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
Pugger wrote:
23 Nov 2020 07:44
bud fox wrote:

I disagree. We should have won that game. It only appeared a miracle because the refs didn't call the blatant facemask to get us in easy field goal range, the refs called a ticky tack holding call on Lewis on a really nice Jamaal Williams run and Rodgers threw a bad ball to Tonyan and also maybe should have hit Quez on that play anyways.

It only appeared to be a miracle because the Colts kept holding and Rodgers and MVS had the sickest play of the year with a 1:30 to go.

We were the better football team yesterday. We lost a game we should have won. And once again it was largely because we were out coached. And it is getting really frustrating seeing these coaches sh*t the bed every time we have a big prime time game.
The better team doesn't wet the bed and turn it over like this. I do agree this game was poorly coached but I can't think of many times when a team turns it over like that and wins, especially on the road. We were our own worst enemy yesterday.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Christo wrote:
23 Nov 2020 07:53
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

He is not Godgers.
You're correct on many points. It is a total team game, players and coaches. For the past few weeks we've heard about handling adversity. Well, yesterday was a game full of it, and the Packers didn't handle it well.
We keep talking about keeping this team together and thinking of ways to pay for player X. Some on here say this team has the talent to win it all.
But I ask, what good is talent if it's not used?
We know Preston Smith can play, we've seen it, we know Savage has all of the physical tools. We know they can play great in spurts. But we also know they can disappear in the blink of an eye.
The question is, why do these players lay down and play lazy football? Why do they sleepwalk for entire halves of games?
Why do coaches who know what they're own weaknesses are, allow other teams to exploit them?
For the most part, the Packers have played in a pretty weak division over the past 10 or so years. They've had some nice records over those years. But when it comes to standing out among the top teams in the league, they have come up short.
I don't know if LaFluer is the guy to lead them to the top. He doesn't come across as someone who can kick some of these players in the ass, which is exactly what they need.
Changes need to be made. I understand that moves during the season are not going to happen. But come day one after they're season is over, start showing some of these coaches the door.
I've said before, don't like people getting fired, but these guys make a good buck and are expected to have they're position groups ready for anything. What I see now, is a bunch of guys looking lost in key moments of games. That is what coaches are supposed to correct, at least the good ones do.
I'm not calling for MLF to be let go. But he picked most of the coaches, and more than a few have been less than stellar. If he doesn't make changes after seeing them fail, then he's not much of a leader.
But did MLF really pick his coaches? Is Gute the final say on draft day and trades? I say get Ball and Murphy out of football operations first.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 07:54
Pugger wrote:

But we would be the Bears without him.
That really depends on who the replacement QB would be.
I changed that because the Bears have a competent defense. ;)