2020 General Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I have often argued that those combine thresholds are the result of the player and what they show, vs the combine result being the factor.

E.g., players who visually show a good twitch, COD on the field, are going to better 3 cones and SS's. And I think the Packers (as least Ted), put a lot of emphasis on that, moreso than other teams. So it wasn't that there was a threshold, just the way we built our board, the players who show those specific traits were placed at a premium on our boards and were often BPA then when we were OTC.

Aside from like height preferences for positions like CB (which get broken), this kind of seems to make more sense to me than a billion dollar franchise putting in arbitrary thresholds based of people running in their underwear during the offseason.

However, as fans, if those combine numbers can become a predictive measure for who the Packers might target, then that's the fun part though. :)

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
10 Apr 2020 10:55
E.g., players who visually show a good twitch, COD on the field, are going to better 3 cones and SS's. And I think the Packers (as least Ted), put a lot of emphasis on that, moreso than other teams. So it wasn't that there was a threshold, just the way we built our board, the players who show those specific traits were placed at a premium on our boards and were often BPA then when we were OTC.
They interviewed Ted in that Legacy series and he explicitly stated that they have athletic thresholds.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Has any information been released about how the draft will be covered for fans yet? We already know that every half senile and over-privileged GM won't be able to work their mouse and keyboard properly, and less so figure out a excel or google spreadsheet, and much much less so figure out how to reboot their modem/router if they need to. But I want to know how we are going to experience this new and wonderful bag of who knows what.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I heard there were a lot of prospects that will be live streaming from their residence.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Man, this draft will be an interesting experiment. There are a lotta prospects who didn't get all their workouts done before COVID-19 shut the Pro Days down.

Now GMs will have to go on tape alone for prospects who didn't get a combine invite or passed on some combine drills and who didn't happen to have early Pro Days.

This'll hurt especially some potential late rounders - usually teams throw some picks around on guys with good testing numbers, or at least take another look at their tape.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Goodwill announcing from his basement. Or in other words a floor in his house that is twice as big as my entire house.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So what is the latest on mock draft sims these days?

TDN, I think its only okay. Gotta get premium to do trades and such

PFF, free, can do trades, I find the interface underwhelming and unresponsive at times

fan-speak - been around forever, I like this interface better than both the two above personally, can use ton of different big boards, can't trade

first-pick.com - been around for a very long time also, also think its user friendly. Can make trades, but they are so incredibly unrealistic. Don't get how they still update this year after year but won't tweak the trade algorithm

first-pick and TDN, can quickly see scouting report or info about players available, definitely helpful to have.

Anything else out there these days? Honestly don't particularly care for any of them on a large level.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
13 Apr 2020 11:06
So what is the latest on mock draft sims these days?

TDN, I think its only okay. Gotta get premium to do trades and such

PFF, free, can do trades, I find the interface underwhelming and unresponsive at times

fan-speak - been around forever, I like this interface better than both the two above personally, can use ton of different big boards, can't trade

first-pick.com - been around for a very long time also, also think its user friendly. Can make trades, but they are so incredibly unrealistic. Don't get how they still update this year after year but won't tweak the trade algorithm

first-pick and TDN, can quickly see scouting report or info about players available, definitely helpful to have.

Anything else out there these days? Honestly don't particularly care for any of them on a large level.
https://www.pff.com/draft/nfl-mock-draft-simulator
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/
https://fanspeak.com/ontheclock-nfl-moc ... simulator/
https://www.first-pick.com/
https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mo ... -simulator
https://www.walkthemock.com/

I can't get TDN's to load...

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mo ... -simulator

This one is nice, but miss player profiles, mostly have no idea who I'm looking at in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/

Also really nice, has player write-ups, but wish it would show height, weight, and some combine numbers if possible.

Nice to see some new ones popping up. Competition yields results. 8-)

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TDN is nice, but I feel their player rankings are a bit whacky, which screws it up a bit and you can't pause or trade without a premium membership.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Is it just me or is it increasingly difficult to follow draft news, mocks, projections, etc. this year due to the Covid crap? I have less of a reason to tune into networks when there's zero sports, and home mostly doing housework (I get most of my posting/researching done at work ;) ).

Around this time the draft always feels like it's months out, but we're less than two weeks away and I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface of prospects.

:hide:
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

First shot at a 7 rounder:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Apr 2020 20:09
First shot at a 7 rounder:

That’s a good one. I personally am not as high on Harrison at ILB but I know some are. This makes for good completion at all the weak points on the team.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Stab #2. Any idea why AJ Green is ranked that high with that 40 time?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I had a go at it -- first (and probably last) mock of 2020.

I wanted to experiment with a very specific strategy: target off-the-ball LBs (our biggest need, IMO) in the mids.

Queen was there at 30 but I pretended he wasn't. Murray and ofc Simmons were gone.

Also, I don't know anything about the prospects. I used the mini scouting-reports of the simulator to make snap decisions, pls no bully. :oops:

*edit*
Did some research, looks like pretty much all of these guys suck except for Reagor and Lawrence hahaha.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Labrev wrote:
14 Apr 2020 11:26
Also, I don't know anything about the prospects. I used the mini scouting-reports of the simulator to make snap decisions, pls no bully. :oops:

*edit*
Did some research, looks like pretty much all of these guys suck except for Reagor and Lawrence hahaha.
Wow, self-bullying. That's new. :rotf:

As long as you had fun doing the mock, I consider it a fine one. :aok:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
14 Apr 2020 11:26
I had a go at it -- first (and probably last) mock of 2020.

I wanted to experiment with a very specific strategy: target off-the-ball LBs (our biggest need, IMO) in the mids.

Queen was there at 30 but I pretended he wasn't. Murray and ofc Simmons were gone.

*edit*
Awful! Just awful... good first 3 rounds! ;) I don't know any of the others. Lawrence has been popping up a lot when I do these mocks. Might have to look into him.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Do NFL teams do mock drafts in kind of a table top exercise format? Like get 32 scouts in a room, each has a team, and go through it in a multiple scenario type format. If not, why not?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Apr 2020 11:47
Do NFL teams do mock drafts in kind of a table top exercise format? Like get 32 scouts in a room, each has a team, and go through it in a multiple scenario type format. If not, why not?
My understanding is that yes, they sure do. Several, in fact.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Apr 2020 11:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Apr 2020 11:47
My understanding is that yes, they sure do. Several, in fact.
Cool. Just wondering because when I do mocks, I try to look at who and what positions are available when, to get an idea of how to better structure a draft. For example, I can't get it to work where I realistically can get a LB I like in Round 3. Will that happen in the draft? No idea.