Official Fire Pettine Thread

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
23 Nov 2020 10:15
awright which one of you fanatics called MVS last night? :lol: (joking)

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/n ... 389544002/
Yeah this was absolutely ridiculous.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

German_Panzer wrote:
23 Nov 2020 01:44
Trust me, this thread will prosper as the season goes on. Anybody already in Fire-Pettine-Mode? I gotta say I am close. The dude just produces the same soft-bending sh*t like Dom, just with better material. He can still turn it around but little hope.
Can him now. His proven inability to innovate, think on the fly, adapt, motivate ...... justifies this well thought out assertion from a shareholder, season ticket holder, brick owner ...... I miss the days when Jurkovic #64 would back off the defensive line to cover the area where the LB would roam while Fritz had the LB innovatively do something else. Messed with the opposing teams offensive rhythm.

From an internet artlcle I found: Soon after he reached the pros, Shurmur established himself as a defensive creator. His scouting reports and game plans were occasionally 75 pages long, but his philosophy was simple.

''This game is played so fast,'' he said. ''I really believe there's a wire that goes from the brain to the feet, and the more the brain's involved, the slower the feet are. Our job is to help players respond instinctively, to recognize tendencies and pounce on them.''

Shurmur once told The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

''You realize there's more than one good answer, one solution to every program. And it's out there someplace. And there's always a better one. By God, if you can be the guy who finds the better one just once in a while, then you've got a little bit of an advantage and your player's got a little bit of an advantage.

''Defense always is reaction. We react to what the offense does. But I have found if we come up with something different, something a little more creative, something they have not had a chance to look at, then we get them responding to us.''

Go Pack Go.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 23 Nov 2020 12:18, edited 2 times in total.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

paco wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:55
lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:53
paco wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:50

So you're saying we need a better ILB? Crazy talk. :lol:
We’ve known that for a decade. This front office doesn’t care about fixing weaknesses. If that was the case we would have some better receivers and something competent as a returner.
This is an incorrect statement. I do not believe the front office doesn't care about fixing weaknesses. They just believe they can fix it other ways or for cheaper. It's been proven they are wrong in most cases, but they'll continue to believe money is better spent elsewhere.
And yet, they still have their jobs and extraordinary compensation. Too bad they, and the players, can't be held to the standards that real people are.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Colts ran 8 straight running plays to start the 2nd half and we played Dime/Nickel for the first 6...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I thought it was a pretty big indictment on Pettine when at the end of the Jags game Rodgers was coaching up Z and someone else about something that he noticed, instead of Pettine in their ear and coaching them up. The way Pettine shows no emotion on the sideline, and doesnt do much in game coaching...makes me think there isnt much advantage to having him down on the field. I like a DC like the niners Salas that shows energy and coaches up the D throughout the game.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 10:18
Yoop wrote:

For my part, Shepherd's fumble was harder to swallow than MVS's. We were tied 28 all and that gifted them the 3 point lead they held onto until Crosby's kick.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
23 Nov 2020 11:29
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

For my part, Shepherd's fumble was harder to swallow than MVS's. We were tied 28 all and that gifted them the 3 point lead they held onto until Crosby's kick.
For sure. It's hard for me to yell too much at MVS when the only reason we were in OT is because of MVS.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 11:40
Labrev wrote:
go pak go wrote:

For sure. It's hard for me to yell too much at MVS when the only reason we were in OT is because of MVS.
I just cannot understand how we cant find someone on a practice squad, the wire, or sitting at home right now who can competently return a kick. Thats it, thats the only skillset they need to possess. We dont need them to do anything else. There have to be thousands walking planet earth right now who can do that and only that better than shepherd right now...yet we keep shepherd on the roster and keep letting him be a liability. I dont get it.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Nov 2020 11:59
go pak go wrote:
Labrev wrote:

I just cannot understand how we cant find someone on a practice squad, the wire, or sitting at home right now who can competently return a kick. Thats it, thats the only skillset they need to possess. We dont need them to do anything else. There have to be thousands walking planet earth right now who can do that and only that better than shepherd right now...yet we keep shepherd on the roster and keep letting him be a liability. I dont get it.
Jamaal Williams for kick return.
Jaire Alexander for punt return.

There. I did it for you. Our backup returners have been selected. We don't need no practice squad guy. We have them on our roster.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
23 Nov 2020 10:48
German_Panzer wrote:
23 Nov 2020 01:44
Trust me, this thread will prosper as the season goes on. Anybody already in Fire-Pettine-Mode? I gotta say I am close. The dude just produces the same soft-bending sh*t like Dom, just with better material. He can still turn it around but little hope.
Can him now. His proven inability to innovate, think on the fly, adapt, motivate ...... justifies this well thought out assertion from a shareholder, season ticket holder, brick owner ...... I miss the days when Jurkovic #64 would back off the defensive line to cover the area where the LB would roam while Fritz had the LB innovatively do something else. Messed with the opposing teams offensive rhythm.

From an internet artlcle I found: Soon after he reached the pros, Shurmur established himself as a defensive creator. His scouting reports and game plans were occasionally 75 pages long, but his philosophy was simple.

''This game is played so fast,'' he said. ''I really believe there's a wire that goes from the brain to the feet, and the more the brain's involved, the slower the feet are. Our job is to help players respond instinctively, to recognize tendencies and pounce on them.''

Shurmur once told The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

''You realize there's more than one good answer, one solution to every program. And it's out there someplace. And there's always a better one. By God, if you can be the guy who finds the better one just once in a while, then you've got a little bit of an advantage and your player's got a little bit of an advantage.

''Defense always is reaction. We react to what the offense does. But I have found if we come up with something different, something a little more creative, something they have not had a chance to look at, then we get them responding to us.''

Go Pack Go.
theres only ONE Fritz,:lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 12:19
Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

There. I did it for you. Our backup returners have been selected. We don't need no practice squad guy. We have them on our roster.

ehhhh, you don't know if there better, (maybe faster though) Shepard had a rough go of it, but his limited speed is why the colts short kicked it, they new good hang time and coverage would give us poor field position because Shepard lacks the wheels to bring one back.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
23 Nov 2020 12:35
go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 12:19
Drj820 wrote:

ehhhh, you don't know if there better, (maybe faster though) Shepard had a rough go of it, but his limited speed is why the colts short kicked it, they new good hang time and coverage would give us poor field position because Shepard lacks the wheels to bring one back.

You can't help but disagree can you. :lol: Like even when you agree. You just gotta go...."ehhhh" You literally said, you don't know if they are better and then talked yourself into why they are better options. :rotf:

I know that Shepherd has touched the ball a lot less than Williams has. I also know Shepherd now has two if not 3 fumbles on the top of my head.

Jamaal Williams has 4 years of being RB and 1 year of being kick returner and has fumbled the ball way less per touch.

Jaw returned punts in college. At this point, I just need a guy who can get at least to the 20 and not fumble the ball and fair catch the ball appropriately.

That is it.
Yoop wrote:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Cross-post from other thread:
1) I just can't figure out Pettine. He showed glimpses of a good scheme when we had a talent shortage in 2018 and last year was better than we expected* going into the season, but this year he's thoroughly mediocre. I don't see how a regression to the mean by Z and Preston could set the whole defense back so much. And we mostly have the same issues regardless of whether key players like Clark, Jaire, and King are in or out. Does he need Rex Ryan and Darrelle Revis to make this scheme work???

2) I was all for giving Mennenga the benefit of the doubt, but when he trotted Shepherd out there again right after the fumble I lost any hope I had in him. Christ, we had Jamal, MVS, Taylor, and Jackson as fallbacks standing right there! At least he's significantly better than Zook, which is something, I guess...

*Except of course the 49ers games
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

He sucks fire him now.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Would it make sense to fire him in-season and give the job to one of his assistants?

After reviewing the game I think that our defense is not bad, just not good either. It just misses that "something". Pettine can't be that dumb to not see it, I hope he might go more risky in the Playoffs.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

German_Panzer wrote:
23 Nov 2020 15:57
Would it make sense to fire him in-season and give the job to one of his assistants?

After reviewing the game I think that our defense is not bad, just not good either. It just misses that "something". Pettine can't be that dumb to not see it, I hope he might go more risky in the Playoffs.
After your review what was the primary sticking point?

Was it primarily 3rd down?
Yoop wrote:

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 16:06
No playmakers! Recall this one bomb from Rivers into a couple of our players? That had to be intercepted. We lack a guy like Woodson or Collins in the backfield. I feel our defense in 2010 was not much different from what we had afterwards up to now, but with one exception: we got some INT's back then, whereas our later defenses don't.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

German_Panzer wrote:
23 Nov 2020 16:13
go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 16:06
No playmakers! Recall this one bomb from Rivers into a couple of our players? That had to be intercepted. We lack a guy like Woodson or Collins in the backfield. I feel our defense in 2010 was not much different from what we had afterwards up to now, but with one exception: we got some INT's back then, whereas our later defenses don't.
Compare to the 2010 defense ........ these guys were playmakers: Raji, Pickett, Jenkins, Matthews, Hawk, Woodson and Collins. 7 guys all played at a high level. The 2020 defense has two: Z Smith and Jaire. I wish I could say Clark and King or Savage........but I can't. :swear:
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 24 Nov 2020 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Majority of our guys def seem like they are out there to try to “play an assignment” (not a horrible thing) and they think about their assignment all play long, instead of having a handful that can keep their eye on their assignment while also looking to hawk the ball or take someone’s head off. Don’t have too many that live to put a lick on the ball carrier it seems, even if the ball carrier is ñot is his assigned area. Lots of mechanical play, not a lot of free flowing high football IQ loose play going on.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Labrev wrote:

Incompetence at GM.

It was very clear last season teams were skyballing to force Sheppard to return and we had the worst starting field positioning in the league during that time.

For some reason we expected different. The Colts did their homework. It’s odd they can scout how poor of a returner Sheppard is and Gutey can’t. Bad GMs gonna bad GM.
Cancelled by the forum elites.