Packers @ Colts GDT 3:25 Sunday 11/22/20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

dsr wrote:
22 Nov 2020 20:10
TheGreenMan wrote:
22 Nov 2020 18:53
MVS reminds me a lot of James Jones early in his career. Just drives you nuts.
I think "bonehead play of the season" goes to whoever decided to throw to him on 3rd and 4 in the first drive of the second half. It was crucial that we got a first down because the defence had just faced a 7 minute drive and needed rest. So try a back shoulder throw to the one man who has consistently not been on the same page as Rodgers? We have at least 5 more reliable receivers than him, so put them on the field. Speed wasn't the prime need for that play, reliability was.
Though I understand your thought here, I'm not sure we have 5 more reliable receivers - or guys that I would trust more than MVS. I mean, Adams for sure. Maybe Lazard (and mind you he was coming off injury), that leaves.... Tonyan? I certainly wouldn't trust anyone else over MVS at this point, no matter how frustrating he makes me. Which, further reminds me of when Jones was here and why he was still on the field -there wasn't really anyone else who you would trust, nobody else that still had as much upside.
RIP JustJeff

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

go pak go wrote:
24 Nov 2020 09:23
Remember that horrible 3rd and 8 throw to Tonyan I was so mad about?

Rodgers wishes he had that play back too. He said it for two reasons.

1. The throw could have been better.
2. He had a touchdown to MVS and for some reason didn't pull the trigger.

Wide open folks. That's a touchdown.

I really can't decide whether I should be encouraged or more pissed off by all of these "so close" plays that all went wrong Sunday for us.

At this point, the only thing I know for sure is that I must be a masochist to keep opening this damn thread to read more.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
24 Nov 2020 09:23
Remember that horrible 3rd and 8 throw to Tonyan I was so mad about?

Rodgers wishes he had that play back too. He said it for two reasons.

1. The throw could have been better.
2. He had a touchdown to MVS and for some reason didn't pull the trigger.

Wide open folks. That's a touchdown.

I have no doubt that Rodgers, [ and pretty much every other QB in the league ] that on certain plays predetermines where he's going with the ball before hand. Maybe it's just the flow of the game that makes them feel it's the safe play?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The 3rd and 8's or longer is still what bites at my craw the most. The Colts had no business putting up 34 points. Our defense played better than that and it all got pissed away on the WORT 3rd and long game performance I believe I have ever seen.

It was downright laughable.

Add to that how bad we were on 3rd/4th and 5 or less and there is your game. I still believe we were the better team. We just played like garbage on a few plays on Sunday.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Nov 2020 17:00
I got no beef with MVS. Hes not very good but it is what it is.
But in January that stuff kills u. It's inexplicable why the Packers didn't draft/traded for a good receiver while a HoF QB is here. I guess we wait 10 years to have some marvelous receiver, playing with some average QB. :roll: Just imagine Davante Adams and Greg Jennings (2007-2010) with some average dudes like Lazard and Tonyan plus a RB like Jones. Unstoppable! Threepeat! :box:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

German_Panzer wrote:
24 Nov 2020 13:57
lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Nov 2020 17:00
I got no beef with MVS. Hes not very good but it is what it is.
But in January that stuff kills u. It's inexplicable why the Packers didn't draft/traded for a good receiver while a HoF QB is here. I guess we wait 10 years to have some marvelous receiver, playing with some average QB. :roll: Just imagine Davante Adams and Greg Jennings (2007-2010) with some average dudes like Lazard and Tonyan plus a RB like Jones. Unstoppable! Threepeat! :box:
That great receiving threat team from 2007 - 2016 got us the same distance as this current receiving team for the exception of 2010 where were lucky to even sneak into the playoffs.

This is the best performance Rodgers has put up in his career from a production standpoint since 2011 (and it's just slightly under 2011).

MVS was a freaking fantastic game on Sunday. It was one play he f*cked up on. Adams did the same thing the week prior. Rodgers and Linsley f*cked up a play in the same game and Rodgers has contributed and thrown two f*cked up balls in a row.

MVS had a great game. We are seeing his confidence build. I feel so bad for the guy because you can see how bad he wants it. And you can see the talent he has. That was one hell of a catch he had near midfield toward the end of the game. And he had an amazing block for Q earlier in the game.

The story of MVS is not yet finished. Give this offense time. Give them a shot. We are in a better position as a team than we were in 2010. We are 2 plays/facemask calls away from being 9-1.

If some balls start bouncing our way and this team gets some swag...watch out. They are if's, but this team has the potential.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

That actually convinced me. Good points, go pak go.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I kinda think his story is being written. He’s a 5th round pick and looks like one to me. He is what he is. He’s gonna burn defenders on go routes, he’s gonna catch home runs, he’s gonna drop drag routes, he’s gonna drops balls we think he should catch, he’s going to try hard and give effort on blocking in the run game. He is going to make us so proud of him, as well as crush us at times.

All of these things are par for the course for a 5th round pick, actually probably better than we could expect.

I just think If he was relied on way less and was WR4 or something he would be a fantastic addition to the team. All the hate we may have for him is from relying on him to do what he is not in my opinion.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Just like Adams' career was written after his 2nd season... Right?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Nov 2020 20:02
Maybe you had written it, I hadn't. But I feel very confident that MVS is no future Davante Adams. You can hold out hope tho!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Nov 2020 20:23
Pckfn23 wrote:
Maybe you had written it, I hadn't. But I feel very confident that MVS is no future Davante Adams. You can hold out hope tho!
There are some vocal members on here that had. MVS doesn't have to be Adams to be successful. He has already shown he can be successful, but needs consistency. But by all means write him off already.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Nov 2020 20:26
Drj820 wrote:
24 Nov 2020 20:23
Pckfn23 wrote:
There are some vocal members on here that had. MVS doesn't have to be Adams to be successful. He has already shown he can be successful, but needs consistency. But by all means write him off already.
If you read my analysis i dont think it was what one should call a "write off". There is a place for an MVS on this team, i said as much.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The Packers don't need another Davante Adams. We should consider drafting an Adams replacement even as soon as this offseason because I don't see us resigning Adams for a 3rd contract, but we don't need another Adams.

MVS is fine as a #3. He is a good number 3. Especially how he has played lately. Once we get Lazard back in this fold, we have a great WR corps and we also have a great TE group. Our TEs killed it vs the Colts.

What is missing right now is the playmaking ability of Aaron Jones.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
24 Nov 2020 21:01
The Packers don't need another Davante Adams. We should consider drafting an Adams replacement even as soon as this offseason because I don't see us resigning Adams for a 3rd contract, but we don't need another Adams.

MVS is fine as a #3. He is a good number 3. Especially how he has played lately. Once we get Lazard back in this fold, we have a great WR corps and we also have a great TE group. Our TEs killed it vs the Colts.

Love most of what you said. I totally agree that MVS is a perfectly fine #3. I am not convinced Lazard is a true #2 tho. I saw it at beginning of season, but it wasn’t long enough for me. He may be a 3 too tbh.

Im also not sure I would call our TE group “great”. It’s competent, but before the colts game there were several weeks of low production after a hot start.

Guess I may not be so optimistic, but I do agree MVS is a fine 3. Happy to have him.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:

what the offense needs is another receiver almost as good as Adams, another go to guy, I thought Aaron Jones could be that player, obviously MLF doesn't agree with me, instead of giving him 20 touches a game as he did last year he cut it back to 10 to 15 touches, and uses him less as a receiver, MLF is a confusing coach.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
25 Nov 2020 05:41
go pak go wrote:

what the offense needs is another receiver almost as good as Adams, another go to guy, I thought Aaron Jones could be that player, obviously MLF doesn't agree with me, instead of giving him 20 touches a game as he did last year he cut it back to 10 to 15 touches, and uses him less as a receiver, MLF is a confusing coach.
I'm really wondering if Jones is on a "pitch count" because he isn't really 100%? :idn:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
25 Nov 2020 07:41
Yoop wrote:
25 Nov 2020 05:41
go pak go wrote:

I'm really wondering if Jones is on a "pitch count" because he isn't really 100%? :idn:
that would be the only valid reason to not give him at least a combination of 20 touches a game, 15 run and 5 passes, he is so explosive as a open field runner after the catch it makes no sense not to use him in that capacity more.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Nov 2020 00:36
go pak go wrote:

Love most of what you said. I totally agree that MVS is a perfectly fine #3. I am not convinced Lazard is a true #2 tho. I saw it at beginning of season, but it wasn’t long enough for me. He may be a 3 too tbh.

Im also not sure I would call our TE group “great”. It’s competent, but before the colts game there were several weeks of low production after a hot start.

Guess I may not be so optimistic, but I do agree MVS is a fine 3. Happy to have him.
Our TEs need to improve. Too bad Deguara got hurt..........I thought his blocking and downfield ability was outstanding.

WRs are fine as long as Adams, MVS and Lazard are healthy. Big "ifs" lately though.

Been impressed with Indiana's Ty Fryfogle #3 .... he maybe a potential NFL receiver. Don't know his speed, but he sure seems to be a natural at everything a receiver is supposed to do .......... and at 6'2" he could be the next Jordy.

Agree with Yooper that lately MLF's play calling has been confusing.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
25 Nov 2020 08:25
Drj820 wrote:
25 Nov 2020 00:36
go pak go wrote:

Our TEs need to improve. Too bad Deguara got hurt..........I thought his blocking and downfield ability was outstanding.

WRs are fine as long as Adams, MVS and Lazard are healthy. Big "ifs" lately though.

Been impressed with Indiana's Ty Fryfogle #3 .... he maybe a potential NFL receiver. Don't know his speed, but he sure seems to be a natural at everything a receiver is supposed to do .......... and at 6'2" he could be the next Jordy.

Agree with Yooper that lately MLF's play calling has been confusing.
Fair points on the roster, it probably is close to being what we need when everyone is healthy. I’m just not gonna call the TE group “great” yet.

As for MLF playcalling, I’m starting to notice a revert back to almost last year when there was that weird tension between what Rodgers knows/MM offense/and what MLF wanted to do. I mean the first couple series when we are on script look like MLF to me. Then we can have this lul like we did last year where it looks straight out of the MM playbook.

I often wonder if that’s Rodgers changing the play to something he knows well, or what the deal is. But I’ve noticed the confusing playcall patterns too.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

go pak go wrote:

Agreed on Jones. And I understand that we don't want to overwork him (although I think at this point that's silly considering his contract situation), but he's gotten 14, 19, and 20 rushes + targets the last three games. That needs to increase as the year goes on. I want to see more of the 26 rushes + targets game like week 2 vs Detroit.

It does still feel like this offense isn't quite firing on all cylinders yet, but we're still averaging 30.8 PPG - that's top 3 in the league. Factoring out the weird game in TB where we gave up at half (which I know you shouldn't do but I'm going to), we are averaging 33.1 PPG for the season. I mean, we are in the 2011 territory right now from an offensive standpoint.

We just need our defense to be average to be a contender. And a little bit of swag like you said. Maybe last week will help there? Rodgers sure sounded like it.

I don't think we should be considered SB favorites at this point, but our offense gives us a chance against anybody. I don't think we could say the same thing last year.