Packers #1 Seed

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Not just an overreaction from last night, I think the Rams are the team to be most feared in the NFC. Lock down corner, great DL, Good offensive line and coach, weapons at WR...however i think they relied way too much on Goff last night...not sure what happened to their run game.

That said, they are the team in the NFC i would want to face the least in the postseason.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Nov 2020 12:50
Not just an overreaction from last night, I think the Rams are the team to be most feared in the NFC. Lock down corner, great DL, Good offensive line and coach, weapons at WR...however i think they relied way too much on Goff last night...not sure what happened to their run game.

That said, they are the team in the NFC i would want to face the least in the postseason.
I agree. I think the Rams are the best team and team to most be feared in the NFC at this point.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Agreed that the Rams are scary, there are a bunch of teams in the NFC that are. But all have shown they can be beat.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I just think the Rams specifically are a spooky matchup for the Packers. Before last night I thought they were actually really close to how the niners were built, now i feel they are still that..but wonder where the run game went. I know McVay loves to run the ball, and do play action with Goff off of it.

But i feel we have shown we can beat the Saints, maybe the Bucs on a better day. I think we can beat the Seahawks bc they dont have the defense to stop our O and we would just be in a track meet. And I think the Cardinals are just not there yet, sorry thats not popular but its my opinion.

The Rams actually have the things that torture the Packers though. Ramsey can probably take Adams out of the game for the most part. Aaron Donald and that four man front can get after Rodgers, just like they did Brady last night. At this point, Rodgers and Brady react to getting hit about the same way..they dont look the same in the game.

And whether The Rams decide to run it on us or not, they have so many misdirections and scheme so many guys to be covered by like an ILB or even Preston smith, i just think they can score on the Packers defense I have seen take the field for us.

So they got an O that can probably score some on us, and a D that i think is the prototype of a type of D that gives Rodgers trouble. Plus they are better in special teams. There punter was booting 70 yard punts last night.

Hope they get knocked out before we see em.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

It's hard for me to know exactly who our offense is, we started the season and looked well coached and the new schemes took our opponents by surprise, we marched for points on practically every drive, we see that at times still, then we become inept and just seem to shut down, we stop running as soon as our opponents show the ability to match scoring, and we end up in a shoot out, so just the opposite of what Lafluers schemes are designed to do happens, and our defense can not support that.

I get the injury to Ervin hurt, but we have several other players, heck both Williams and Jones could alternate running pre snap motion, or pulling Sternberger or Lewis across as the lead blocker on stretch runs, we don't see any of that stuff when the offense stalls, we are like Jykal and Hyde on offense, at least with defense we know we'll consistently suck, so no surprises there :thwap:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
24 Nov 2020 17:45
It's hard for me to know exactly who our offense is, we started the season and looked well coached and the new schemes took our opponents by surprise, we marched for points on practically every drive, we see that at times still, then we become inept and just seem to shut down, we stop running as soon as our opponents show the ability to match scoring, and we end up in a shoot out, so just the opposite of what Lafluers schemes are designed to do happens, and our defense can not support that.

I get the injury to Ervin hurt, but we have several other players, heck both Williams and Jones could alternate running pre snap motion, or pulling Sternberger or Lewis across as the lead blocker on stretch runs, we don't see any of that stuff when the offense stalls, we are like Jykal and Hyde on offense, at least with defense we know we'll consistently suck, so no surprises there :thwap:
Yessiree. Now is not the best time of the season to quit surprising the opponents offense and defense with new wrinkles. Don't know if MLF and Pettine know this yet. I doubt Pettine does. Back in the day not only did Hornung throw surprise option passes...........but so did Elijah Pitts and Tom Moore. This doesn't have to be that difficult really. Oh ......... and whatever happened to the Packers power sweep? We know Aaron Jones can block. Why not let Dillon try to impersonate Jimmy Taylor on the Power Sweep? I bet Jenkins has the athletic ability to pull. GO PACK GO !!
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 25 Nov 2020 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
24 Nov 2020 19:12
Yoop wrote:

Yessiree. Now is not be best time of the season to quit surprising the opponents offense and defense with new wrinkles. Don't know if MLF and Pettine know this yet. I doubt Pettine does. Back in the day not only did Hornung throw surprise option passes...........but so did Elijah Pitts and Tom Moore. This doesn't have to be that difficult really. Oh ......... and whatever happened to the Packers power sweep? We know Aaron Jones can block. Why not let Dillon try to impersonate Jimmy Taylor on the Power Sweep? I bet Jenkins has the athletic ability to pull. GO PACK GO !!
Dillon is a power runner. His value is not only in the 4 yards he gains but in punishing DB's. No DB ever broke up a pass when he was in the tent. The Packers will be a better team when they give Dillon the opportunity to punish the opposing corners.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

TheSkeptic wrote:
25 Nov 2020 05:25
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Yessiree. Now is not be best time of the season to quit surprising the opponents offense and defense with new wrinkles. Don't know if MLF and Pettine know this yet. I doubt Pettine does. Back in the day not only did Hornung throw surprise option passes...........but so did Elijah Pitts and Tom Moore. This doesn't have to be that difficult really. Oh ......... and whatever happened to the Packers power sweep? We know Aaron Jones can block. Why not let Dillon try to impersonate Jimmy Taylor on the Power Sweep? I bet Jenkins has the athletic ability to pull. GO PACK GO !!
Dillon is a power runner. His value is not only in the 4 yards he gains but in punishing DB's. No DB ever broke up a pass when he was in the tent. The Packers will be a better team when they give Dillon the opportunity to punish the opposing corners.
Let's hope Dillon is back this week.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Oh ......... and whatever happened to the Packers power sweep? We know Aaron Jones can block. Why not let Dillon try to impersonate Jimmy Taylor on the Power Sweep? I bet Jenkins has the athletic ability to pull. GO PACK GO !!
Had to respond to this since I've been re-reading the excellent When Pride Still Mattered.

Modern, penetrating, fast defenses make the sweep more difficult. Blocking is taught differently now, too. No one practices firing off the line in unison anymore. I think there was a formational wrinkle with having the WR's tighter to the TE or OT, too.

The other thing is the sweep was so effective due to the HB option pass (which you mentioned) and FB belly (or was it a dive?) plays run from the same look. Modern coaches don't usually like to have anyone but their All-Pro QB throw the ball, and FB's are all but dead.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Anybody know how much we run on 3rd and less than 5? I would guess maybe 20% of the time. How does that compare to the league average?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
25 Nov 2020 13:41
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Oh ......... and whatever happened to the Packers power sweep? We know Aaron Jones can block. Why not let Dillon try to impersonate Jimmy Taylor on the Power Sweep? I bet Jenkins has the athletic ability to pull. GO PACK GO !!
Had to respond to this since I've been re-reading the excellent When Pride Still Mattered.

Modern, penetrating, fast defenses make the sweep more difficult. Blocking is taught differently now, too. No one practices firing off the line in unison anymore. I think there was a formational wrinkle with having the WR's tighter to the TE or OT, too.

The other thing is the sweep was so effective due to the HB option pass (which you mentioned) and FB belly (or was it a dive?) plays run from the same look. Modern coaches don't usually like to have anyone but their All-Pro QB throw the ball, and FB's are all but dead.
Wow Crazy Legs ........ I must be aging faster than I thought. Your reference to the book 'When Pride Still Mattered' made me look up an event that I was fortunate to attend ........... it was the Lombardi play at the Circle in the Square Theater on Broadway. I checked the records .... it was November 24, 2010 ..... the day before Thanksgiving as well. Can't believe that was 10 years ago already.

Happy Thanksgiving. Be Safe. GO PACK GO !!
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 26 Nov 2020 07:45, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Check out the standings in the NFC East.

Home playoff game with 6 wins...

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
25 Nov 2020 18:26
Check out the standings in the NFC East.

Home playoff game with 6 wins...
Such a shame that the Bears or Vikings will miss the playoffs because of the NFC East. :jam:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Last edited by Drj820 on 14 Dec 2020 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Interesting, but hopefully unnecessary.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
14 Dec 2020 06:34
Interesting, but hopefully unnecessary.

:lol: :lol:

I've been saying this on this forum for how long now?

Definitely would be nice to know a loss to TN wouldn't be the end of the world. But a win vs TN also wouldn't be meaningless if things play out right.

I am very happy how this last 3 game stretch is playing out.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

If we had beaten MN, we would only have needed to beat either CAR or CHI to clinch the top spot.

Honestly I do kind of like the team having pressure to win games this time of year. I fear not having pressure to win games can put the team at a lull.

So maybe it was good to lose to MN and Indy.
Yoop wrote:

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

So we win a 3-way tie with Saints & Rams? Anyone know how? All 3 of us would have 2 conference losses.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

packman114 wrote:
14 Dec 2020 07:13
So we win a 3-way tie with Saints & Rams? Anyone know how? All 3 of us would have 2 conference losses.
Huh. It does look like we will have the tiebreaker over the Rams OR Seahawks at 12-4 if that loss is to TN.

We get the tiebreaker over the Seahawks at 12-4 with Conference Record.
We get the tiebreaker over the Rams with Common Games.

It looks like our common games is TB and SF.

Because SF swept the Rams and we beat SF, we win the tiebreaker over our one loss to TB and the Rams defeat over TB.
Last edited by go pak go on 14 Dec 2020 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think what makes me happiest is I no longer have to scoreboard watch WHILE the Packers are playing. My emotions don't have to be tugged by other games.

I can just be happy and in the moment during the Packers game regardless of what is going on in Philly.

I am sure some of you noticed yesterday my mood took a sh*t when the Saints were making their comeback. :lol:
Yoop wrote: