General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Nov 2020 09:26
Signing Austin is a great move. Gutey recognized a weakness and is at the very least attempting to correct it, although a week too late. Sheppard was the worst returner in the entire league to the point where every team was kicking short and banking in Sheppard being to slow to make teams pay. I don’t know what they expected different this year.

Austin has always been a pretty average receiver. I could see him offering minimal value maybe on the end around and bubble screens but he’s too small to block. He’s always been a very dangerous punt returner. His kick returns have been pretty blah throughout his career but he’s got enough to speed to force to teams not to blatantly kick to him.
I really don't think you're going to find many 5'10 receivers who are good at blocking. Besides, he's not being brought in to block.
If signed [ big if ] He's going to return punts and kickoffs. Not much else.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I love how just two days ago we asked why we don't get people who are just good at STs.

And then we look at someone who is just STs and start wanting them to contribute on offense.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
27 Nov 2020 19:08
I love how just two days ago we asked why we don't get people who are just good at STs.

And then we look at someone who is just STs and start wanting them to contribute on offense.
Because people want shiny new things.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Signing Austin is a great move. Gutey recognized a weakness and is at the very least attempting to correct it, although a week too late. Sheppard was the worst returner in the entire league to the point where every team was kicking short and banking in Sheppard being to slow to make teams pay. I don’t know what they expected different this year.

Austin has always been a pretty average receiver. I could see him offering minimal value maybe on the end around and bubble screens but he’s too small to block. He’s always been a very dangerous punt returner. His kick returns have been pretty blah throughout his career but he’s got enough to speed to force to teams not to blatantly kick to him.
Apparently Tavon Austin had a work out. I just websearched "Tavon Austin Signed" and only found signed stuff on eBay. :nono: No evidence that the Packers signed Tavon Austin yet. If not, lets hope MLF has the intelligence to put someone else back there to run back kicks and/or punts besides Shepherd. Not blaming anybody (yet) as Swervin' Ervin was doing just fine.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 Nov 2020 19:08

It's two for one week, not only do we wants Austin, we also want Ken Stills, it's time to get serious about the WR position :banana:

https://sports.yahoo.com/texans-might-j ... 51772.html

with expectations that teams will have to cut players to get under the lowered cap in 2021 there could be a couple of excellent slot receivers available, that could also be used as returners.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/n ... 400649002/

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Christo wrote:
27 Nov 2020 18:56
lupedafiasco wrote:

I really don't think you're going to find many 5'10 receivers who are good at blocking. Besides, he's not being brought in to block.
If signed [ big if ] He's going to return punts and kickoffs. Not much else.
I’m just saying what he is. I wouldn’t rule him out helping in offense though. Tyler Ervin was running the sweep to draw attention and Austin is much more dangerous.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/n ... 443720002/

we better listen to this stuff or the better running offenses will just keep locking us in dime and run on us, the Colts came out with no huddle in the 2nd half and took control of the clock for over 7 minutes.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Asked after the game how concerned he was about Linsley’s injury, LaFleur replied, “It’s certainly a concern. It doesn’t appear to be season-ending. But again, any time you’re missing a guy like Corey, you’re not going to be at your best because he is such a valuable piece, not only to our offense, but our football team.”
The Packers had to do more shuffling during the second half, when right guard Lucas Patrick departed with a toe injury, forcing right tackle Billy Turner to move inside to right guard with ex-University of Wisconsin lineman Ricky Wagner coming off the bench to play right tackle.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

MCL sprain for Linsley. So good news there. Could be a couple weeks, maybe even a month. But not a season ender. Elgton and Runyan will fill in just fine until then (already have twice).
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Still crazy that both Patrick AND Runyan are keeping Wagner on the bench.

Even Turner at RT.

Remembering Lane Taylor won a starting job.

Wagner is our 9th option.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
30 Nov 2020 09:20
Still crazy that both Patrick AND Runyan are keeping Wagner on the bench.

Even Turner at RT.

Remembering Lane Taylor won a starting job.

Wagner is our 9th option.
Yeah I don't see how we can justify keeping Wagner next year. I very much believe we will bring Taylor back. Stephaniak is also now practicing which is great so the coaches can at least see something of what he might bring.

But this line could easily lose Wagner and Linsley and be fine next year. Probably a good idea to look at a tackle in Rd 3 or 4 in the draft to get ready for 2022. But I think Runyan could be plugged anywhere from LG to RT and hold up more then fine.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Also crazy to me they are moving Elgton to center and not Patrick.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
30 Nov 2020 09:44
Shows you how much they trust Elgton. He's our next starting center.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
30 Nov 2020 09:50
BF004 wrote:
30 Nov 2020 09:44
Shows you how much they trust Elgton. He's our next starting center.
In the offseason, I look forward to guys like Fennell telling me whether the line is better with Jenkins at C or G. I'll worry about that then

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

What was it before?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
30 Nov 2020 15:37
What was it before?
Nooner. Removes my last conflict with the Vikings TV schedule for the season!!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
30 Nov 2020 15:39
BF004 wrote:
What was it before?

YES!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
30 Nov 2020 15:39
BF004 wrote:
What was it before?

Week 17:

MN plays Detroit at Noon.
GB plays Chicago at Noon.

Don't know what I am missing here.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Is Det - GB seriously the best national game option Fox has available to it that weekend? :shock: