Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
20 Nov 2020 19:40
I mean when we drafted Blake, his biggest strength or attraction was his coverage skills in college.
some of us commented about this a couple years ago.

imo and just my opinion,it's the way both Capers and Pettine use our Mike lber, they plant him in the middle of that zone and his first responsibility is to spy the QB or attack against the run, and our weakside backer (hybrid Willie) defend the pass, versus both ILB's having over lapping tasks depending on the flow of the play, how often have we all seen Blake standing pat as a TE went running right by him, catch a pass for a first down, or go for a big gainer.

Marty even mentioned some of this after he was released, it also fits with our attempts to down play the importance of the position, I use to support the use of the 3 safety scheme and the hybrid lber versus the real deal bigger, but usually slower true ILB simply because of coverage demands.

however imo what where seeing now is college producing more tweener type ILB's with speed and weight to play all 3 downs, as offenses revert to more small ball and uptempo short passing the ILB position can no longer take a second seat to other defensive positions, our past draft priority's concerning this have to change, as well as how we use them.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Cdragon wrote:
21 Nov 2020 06:46
Christo wrote:
20 Nov 2020 20:04
lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Nov 2020 15:44

To be fair Shannon even said at his induction speech that he’s the first member of his family to be in the HOF and the 2nd best player in his family. Sterling, as unfortunate as it is, didn’t have the longevity.

I can’t see the media pushing for Wilson with as many INTs as he’s had. Right now the undeniable favorite is Mahomes. He’s got more talent around him than Rodgers but watching the games there’s no doubt in my mind this is the best player in the league. Honestly Mahomes is still underpaid.
Anytime somebody says, Sterling didn't play long enough, I reply, what about Terrell Davis? If he's in the HOF because he was on 2 Superbowl winning teams, then why not put Marv Fleming in there?
Different positions have different considerations for getting into the hall. Pro Football Ref has a HOF stat with most guys who get in scoring around 100. Sterling hits 71, 37th among WRs. Terrell Davis is at 99, 11th among RBs. Shannon Sharpe is at 113, 3rd among TEs. Marv Fleming is at 19, 66th among TEs. Russell Wilson is at 66, 29th among QBs. AR is currently at 141, 6th among QBs. Troy Aikman is in with only 64. He never would have been in without being a cowboy and the SBs. Favre is at 178, 3rd among QBs.

Leroy Butler has a better case than I thought according to this. 97, 20th among DBs.
As with any hall of fame now, it's all about the favorites. 99% of the people who vote on membership have zero clue about the players they vote for.
And putting players in based on position is absolutely retarded. A great football player is a great player regardless of position.
Whatever measurements are being used can be fudged to make somebody look better than they actually are.
Perfect example is Steve Atwater being in and LeRoy Butler is not. The criteria used to to elevate Atwater over Butler is flawed.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Does the Hall of Fame Nominate individuals?
The Hall of Fame receives nominations but does not make them. Any person, including the 48 elite members of the Selection Committee, may nominate any eligible players, coaches or contributors.

What Happens After Someone is Nominated as a Modern-Era Nominee?
A nomination is NOT a vote for election. The Hall of Fame’s Selection Process includes multiple steps in which the nominees are scrutinized. The Hall facilitates the procedure of three successive reviews of increasing scrutiny with the 48-person Selection Committee. The first is a vote to reduce the long list of Modern-Era Nominees (typically around 100) to 25 Semifinalists, followed by a later vote to reduce to 15 Finalists. At the annual meeting on “Selection Saturday," the Finalists are scrutinized even further by the Selectors, who after a thorough discussion of each Finalist, reduce the list from 15 to 10 and then 10 to 5. At that point, the five remaining Finalists are voted on for election into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on a yes or no basis. A minimum positive vote of 80 percent is necessary for election.

Who Selects New Hall of Fame Members?
The Pro Football Hall of Fame's 48-person Selection Committee is charged with the vital task of continuing to ensure that new enshrinees are the finest the game has produced. [Pro Football Hall of Fame's Selection Process/List of Selection Committee members]

The Committee consists of one media representative from each pro football city — with two from New York and two from Los Angeles, as those cities each have two teams in the National Football League. There are 16 at-large Selectors, who are active members of the media or persons intricately involved in professional football, including one representative of the Pro Football Writers of America. All appointments are open-ended and approved annually by a majority vote of the Hall of Fame's Board of Trustees.

The Selection Committee meets annually on the Saturday before the Super Bowl to elect new members of the Hall of Fame. There is no set number of new enshrinees, but the Committee’s current ground rules do stipulate that between four and eight new members will be selected each year. Every candidate is thoroughly reviewed and must receive approval from at least 80 percent of the full Committee to be elected.

How Are New Enshrinees Selected?
Any fan may nominate any player, coach or contributor who has been connected with pro football simply by writing to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The only restriction is that a player and coach must have been retired at least five years before he can be considered. There is no mandatory retirement period for a contributor before he may be considered. Every nomination of an eligible candidate received will be processed and forwarded to the Hall of Fame’s Selection Committee.

https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-o ... ocess-faq/

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

$%@# A DUCK!!! Football Outsiders went completely pay wall now... All I want is 3rd down and 3 and out!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Nov 2020 10:58
$%@# A DUCK!!! Football Outsiders went completely pay wall now... All I want is 3rd down and 3 and out!
:bkw: :mob:

Tear down this wall!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Christo wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
Christo wrote:
16 Nov 2020 11:13

Maybe, but I still think the media will push Wilson for MVP. As far as what idiots like Sharpe and Bayless say, when have they been correct on anything?
All Bayless does is jerk off to the Cowboys and Sharpe just talks louder than Bayless.
And the fact that Shannon is in the hall of fame and Sterling isn't, is a crime.
To be fair Shannon even said at his induction speech that he’s the first member of his family to be in the HOF and the 2nd best player in his family. Sterling, as unfortunate as it is, didn’t have the longevity.

I can’t see the media pushing for Wilson with as many INTs as he’s had. Right now the undeniable favorite is Mahomes. He’s got more talent around him than Rodgers but watching the games there’s no doubt in my mind this is the best player in the league. Honestly Mahomes is still underpaid.
Anytime somebody says, Sterling didn't play long enough, I reply, what about Terrell Davis? If he's in the HOF because he was on 2 Superbowl winning teams, then why not put Marv Fleming in there?
I’ll agree with you there. I never understood how Davis got in. He had four good years with one of those being all time great. Only 7 players are in the 2k club after all. Still not enough for me. Whoever was pulling for Davis really sold him well to make it.

I never got to watch Fleming play. I can’t comment much but as the TE position has changed and become more flashy I would say based on the numbers he doesn’t deserve it either.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Nov 2020 03:19
Christo wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

I’ll agree with you there. I never understood how Davis got in. He had four good years with one of those being all time great. Only 7 players are in the 2k club after all. Still not enough for me. Whoever was pulling for Davis really sold him well to make it.

I never got to watch Fleming play. I can’t comment much but as the TE position has changed and become more flashy I would say based on the numbers he doesn’t deserve it either.
In all fairness, I was being a bit sarcastic bringing up Fleming because the only reason for Davis being in the HOF is playing on 2 super bowl winning teams.
Fleming played on multiple super bowl winning teams, 4 rings total.
Add that Sterling Sharpe played at an outstanding level until his neck injury and you can see the hypocrisy of the HOF selection committee.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Kenny Stills was released. If he makes it through waivers, he could be a target. Was a popular name after Will Fuller at the trade deadline.
RIP JustJeff

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

paco wrote:
27 Nov 2020 16:21
Kenny Stills was released. If he makes it through waivers, he could be a target. Was a popular name after Will Fuller at the trade deadline.
Good call, but he's coming off a quad injury. Who knows how long until he's 100%
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Labrev wrote:
05 Nov 2020 10:18
Yoop wrote:
05 Nov 2020 09:34
this is the same ol stuff Capers dealt with, a revolving door of inadequate talent at several positions and poor play from other players
I was the rare fan who actually did not blame Capers for our woes on defense, even defended him quite a bit for quite some time (got some heat for it from his detractors, too). Even now in retrospect, I am not convinced it was anything more than a lack of talent (on TT's part) that made those defenses bad.

I only agreed with letting him go when we did because we missed the playoffs that year, which gave us an opportunity to start interviewing for new DCs right away -- an opportunity we did not usually get, because we usually did not miss the playoffs. And the guy was old so we had to do it sooner or later. But even the year we let him go, the defense was better than the offense that year, so if you were going to let him go, you may as well have also let Mac go (I don't accept Hundley as an excuse for our offense being THAT bad that year).

I do not have that same stance towards Pettine. Our talent on D is more than adequate; this is a coaching failure.
Trust me, Capers was definitely blamable many times. Had you been at the Buccaneers - Packers game in 2011 ...... Josh Freeman threw for over 300 yards ...... Capers' D had no answers for Freeman that day. In the end the Packers got a couple of turnovers and won the game. But again ........... Capers' D made Freeman look like Joe Montana. It was unbelievably difficult to sit through.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
18 Nov 2020 08:47
Just win your games. If we are 13-3 Rodgers, it will be down to Mahomes and Rodgers and both will be very deserving.
They could be co-MVPs.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
27 Nov 2020 18:31
Labrev wrote:
05 Nov 2020 10:18
Yoop wrote:
05 Nov 2020 09:34
this is the same ol stuff Capers dealt with, a revolving door of inadequate talent at several positions and poor play from other players
I was the rare fan who actually did not blame Capers for our woes on defense, even defended him quite a bit for quite some time (got some heat for it from his detractors, too). Even now in retrospect, I am not convinced it was anything more than a lack of talent (on TT's part) that made those defenses bad.

I only agreed with letting him go when we did because we missed the playoffs that year, which gave us an opportunity to start interviewing for new DCs right away -- an opportunity we did not usually get, because we usually did not miss the playoffs. And the guy was old so we had to do it sooner or later. But even the year we let him go, the defense was better than the offense that year, so if you were going to let him go, you may as well have also let Mac go (I don't accept Hundley as an excuse for our offense being THAT bad that year).

I do not have that same stance towards Pettine. Our talent on D is more than adequate; this is a coaching failure.
Trust me, Capers was definitely blamable many times. Had you been at the Buccaneers - Packers game in 2011 ...... Josh Freeman threw for over 300 yards ...... Capers' D had no answers for Freeman that day. In the end the Packers got a couple of turnovers and won the game. But again ........... Capers' D made Freeman look like Joe Montana. It was unbelievably difficult to sit through.
Watching what Pettine calls defense is unbelievably painful. His ideas are old and obsolete. The Packers went out on a limb and picked MLF to be the head coach. At least as far as offense goes. After this year is over, let him pick his own staff. No more, you gotta keep this guy nonsense.

I can't think of anybody that jumps out as far as replacing Pettine. But damn, start looking now.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
27 Nov 2020 18:28
paco wrote:
27 Nov 2020 16:21
Good call, but he's coming off a quad injury. Who knows how long until he's 100%
Did not know that. Didn't actually read into it at all. Still worth a look if not too bad.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Stills, if healthy, would be a great signing. Might possibly be our 2nd best WR second he walks through the door.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Lions fire GM and HC.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

lupedafiasco wrote:
28 Nov 2020 14:07
Lions fire GM and HC.
Took them long enough.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

lupedafiasco wrote:
28 Nov 2020 14:07
Lions fire GM and HC.
Bummer. :P
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Damn, was really hoping he's pull...ahh who am I joking.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Christo wrote:
24 Nov 2020 08:01
lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Nov 2020 03:19
Christo wrote:

In all fairness, I was being a bit sarcastic bringing up Fleming because the only reason for Davis being in the HOF is playing on 2 super bowl winning teams.
Fleming played on multiple super bowl winning teams, 4 rings total.
Add that Sterling Sharpe played at an outstanding level until his neck injury and you can see the hypocrisy of the HOF selection committee.

We've talked about this subject at length previously on the old board......this longevity argument should have been squelched the day Gale Sayers was voted in. Sterling Sharpe's situation is very similar......... people! Think people think! Sayers --> 7 seasons. 5 times All-Pro, 5 times Pro Bowl. 5 productive seasons total. Sharpe --> 7 seasons. 3 times All-Pro, 5 times Pro Bowl, 7 productive seasons total. Then look at Harold Carmichael who just got in...........never All-Pro, 4 Pro Bowls, never more than 67 receptions in a season. Bob Hayes ..... 2 times All-Pro and 3 Pro Bowls, never more than 64 receptions. Isaac Bruce --> ZERO All-Pros, 4 Pro Bowls. Think people think!

The Steve Atwater over Leroy Butler selection makes no sense either. Someone has an affinity toward the Broncos for some reason.

If Terrell Davis got in then let's champion for John Brockington (which admittedly makes little sense too). Brockington had three 1,000 yard seasons and 4 productive seasons overall (one time All-Pro and 3 Pro Bowls) . Terrell Davis had 4 productive seasons overall (All-Pro 3 times and 3 Pro Bowls).

They finally let Bobby Dillon in (4 times All-Pro). Look at this stats.........they're amazing. Besides Leroy Butler.........I am still waiting for Gale Gillingham to get in as well. Bill Forester was All-Pro 3 times........4 Pro Bowls. Roger Wehrli got in with 3 All-Pro selections and 6 Pro Bowls. Donnie Shell got in with 3 All-Pros and 5 Pro Bowls. Leroy Butler has 4 All-Pros and 4 Pro Bowls. C'mon people.........please think think think.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Denver has no QBs for this week's game. Covid exposure.