Eagles @ Packers GDT - 3:25 - CBS

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

After Lombardi, the Packers have only been the #1 seed twice.

1996 - Won the Super Bowl
2011 - Yeah about that.

But we have a shot at getting the top seed this year for only the 3 time in over 40 years. Yeah. This is a special season. I agree. Let's have fun with it. I am really, really happy the Giants beat the Seahawks because it is so much more fun knowing you can control your own destiny and don't have to scoreboard watch during a Packers game.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Man, Gary has this totally set up here for the ‘ol Reggie hump move. Keep an eye on that, seems like it would have been more efficient than what he did there. Gotta get that right arm lower and tighter and up into that armpit there and he's got it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
07 Dec 2020 09:33
Honestly, the only thing I thought about during the game was what YoHo would consider a blowout, since he mentioned earlier that this would be the first game all year that he'd be disappointed in if we didn't blow them out.
I'll take a 2-score win that was a 3-score lead, for sure.

But it also helps when the numbers in the game back up a 2-score win, too.

Outgained them 437 to 278
More first downs, fewer penalties, fewer sacks
+1 TO margin
2/2 in the red zone compared to not allowing a red zone appearance at all
Edged out time of possession, almost twice as many first downs (14 to 8)

It was a pretty dominant performance and a bad punt return.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Dec 2020 10:12
kyle.mccarroll wrote:
07 Dec 2020 09:33
Honestly, the only thing I thought about during the game was what YoHo would consider a blowout, since he mentioned earlier that this would be the first game all year that he'd be disappointed in if we didn't blow them out.
I'll take a 2-score win that was a 3-score lead, for sure.

But it also helps when the numbers in the game back up a 2-score win, too.

Outgained them 437 to 278
More first downs, fewer penalties, fewer sacks
+1 TO margin
2/2 in the red zone compared to not allowing a red zone appearance at all
Edged out time of possession, almost twice as many first downs (14 to 8)

It was a pretty dominant performance and a bad punt return.
Honestly. 4 plays go the way they would normally go:

MVS catches the ball.
Defense doesn't allow a 4th and 18 TD pass. (weird they got behind our best safety and CB too)
Punt Return doesn't happen
Crosby makes his PAT

Honestly this was VERY close to being a 45 to 3 football game. The score was waaaaaay closer than it was.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Without that punt return for a TD, no one is grousing today. That has to be fixed, no doubt.

The 4th and long TD was on Jaire and possibly Savage, so I am not too worried there. It sucks, but it is what it is. You get beat some times.

Other than the offense going 3 and out on 2 series' in a row in the 2nd half, AGAIN, there is little else to complain about.

We finished the game running the ball and got an INT on defense to seal it. That was a good game.

Wringing hands before the game because the Eagles were tougher than they look, winning by 14, and wringing hands again seems a bit weird to me.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
07 Dec 2020 10:23
Other than the offense going 3 and out on 2 series' in a row in the 2nd half, AGAIN, there is little else to complain about.
Yeah, if the offense has a weakness, it's too many 3 & outs.

Given how effective they are on drives once they get any movement at all, I think this is the sort of thing that MLF and Rodgers will tinker with to make sure we emphasize getting that first first down to help out the defense and field position.

Like you said, for the most part--it is what it is; you get beat sometimes.

We also pretty much have the team we're going to have right now. They can play better, they can play worse. They'll likely have more injuries to overcome and get some people back. There will be ebbs and flows.

What we have right now though is a team that is good enough to win it all, and probably won't, because that's how probability works.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

go pak go wrote:
07 Dec 2020 10:18
Honestly. 4 plays go the way they would normally go:

MVS catches the ball.
Defense doesn't allow a 4th and 18 TD pass. (weird they got behind our best safety and CB too)
Punt Return doesn't happen
Crosby makes his PAT

Honestly this was VERY close to being a 45 to 3 football game. The score was waaaaaay closer than it was.
We are getting closer to putting it all together than we have been for a while - that's good news.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Without that punt return for a TD, no one is grousing today. That has to be fixed, no doubt.
And it's not just that. 2 return TD's. 1 punt blocked, by official stats, but I could have sworn there was second. Numerous near blocks. Our punt protection is very suspect, our coverage is bad, and our punter is mind-bogglingly inconsistent. Our punt team, as a whole, is one unit you can watch and really say that is not an NFL-caliber unit and it has been that way since early in the season and it doesn't seem like we have completely hit rock bottom yet.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Just gonna leave this right here. :)

Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Dec 2020 10:28
Pckfn23 wrote:

Given how effective they are on drives once they get any movement at all, I think this is the sort of thing that MLF and Rodgers will tinker with to make sure we emphasize getting that first first down to help out the defense and field position.

We also pretty much have the team we're going to have right now. They can play better, they can play worse. They'll likely have more injuries to overcome and get some people back. There will be ebbs and flows.

What we have right now though is a team that is good enough to win it all, and probably won't, because that's how probability works.
I feel like sometimes when the offense is really clicking, we can almost get a little greedy. Instead of just keeping pounding and passing within rhythm, we feel like we got the D on their heels and call these long developing deep balls that are all or nothing plays. I get that is maybe the all gas no break mentality there, but stick with what is working. No need to push the envelope further if what you are doing is working.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
07 Dec 2020 13:20
YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Dec 2020 10:28
Pckfn23 wrote:

I feel like sometimes when the offense is really clicking, we can almost get a little greedy. Instead of just keeping pounding and passing within rhythm, we feel like we got the D on their heels and call these long developing deep balls that are all or nothing plays. I get that is maybe the all gas no break mentality there, but stick with what is working. No need to push the envelope further if what you are doing is working.
So don't throw a deep ball to Davante Adams on your 1 yardline even though that was the play that really broke the Eagles back?

I mean unlike 2017 - 2019, our deep plays are intermingled beautifully with the rest of our plays. The player just needs to make the play. MVS just needs to catch the ball and we are putting 40+ on the Eagles.

Hard for me to get mad at that when he just drops the ball.

But I do get what you're saying for instance when we deep shot it on 2nd and 10. You would like to get 4 - 7 yards on 2nd and 10 to give yourself a manageable 3rd down. I think yesterday though our offense stalled more on our "WR Screens" and outside runs. The Eagles really read those nicely and we just went nowhere.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

German_Panzer wrote:
07 Dec 2020 09:14
Random in-throw: I have to say, seeing JK Scott trying to tackle is embarrassing. Crosby I remember being OK, Favre was also borderline embarrassing, Rodgers I recall to be a decent and willing tackler. I think a punter should at least know how-to and be willing to throw himself at a guy.
Yeah, somebody accused me of "reaching" when making this point, but Crosby has saved our butt a few times on kick-offs returns by making the tackle.

I don't think it's a lack of willingness so much as, both times he was in that situation, the returner was near the sideline but made a move to look like he was going to cut it back inside. Scott bit on it both times, and he apparently has the balance of a toddler because he was totally unable to recover enough just to push the guy out-of-bounds.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Labrev wrote:
07 Dec 2020 13:36
Crosby has saved our butt a few times on kick-offs returns by making the tackle.
In Super Bowl XLV, Crosby had as many solo tackles as Steelers phenom, James Harrison.
They both had (1)
IT. IS. TIME

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

go pak go wrote:
07 Dec 2020 09:18
Cdragon wrote:
07 Dec 2020 06:25

In 2014 at this stage we weren't the best team in the league. But our lack of injuries that year made us the best team by the end, even though it didn't work out. There is still a lot of time to improve. I expect to be better in four weeks. The mistakes are frustrating, but as long as we keep winning they do us a service since they become coaching points. They keep the team working to improve. The 2011 team suffered a bit from too many Winner's Mondays where problems get lost.
Definitely not true. We were the best team in the conference at this point in 2014. At this point, we just came off a whooping the Falcons on Monday Night at Halftime only to witness the best half of footall I have ever seen by a WR in Julio Jones. We also absolutely destroyed the Bears, going 42-0 at halftime and Eagles as well as beating the Patriots with Bellicheck gushing over MM.

Our weak spot in 2014 was losing to Buffalo which put the game in Seattle.

Our 2014 defense improved significantly when we put Matthews at ILB and as you stated, we were very healthy.
But our defense that stretch after the bye only allowed more than 21 points in one game. It was a very good stretch.
image.png
I'm not talking about having the best record at any point in the season. Plenty of teams lead a conference and while they are good they aren't the best in the league. In 96 we were the best team from start to finish. We had the best D of the decade, great STs and a great O. Picking up some pieces on the way, kept us on top. In 14 we were good but it wasn't until the playoffs that I think you could say we were the best team. A big componant was our health and other teams losing pieces. Today we might be the best in the conference but we are not head and shoulders above all the other contenders. When the show starts in a month we'll know.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Cdragon wrote:
07 Dec 2020 15:08
go pak go wrote:
07 Dec 2020 09:18
Cdragon wrote:
07 Dec 2020 06:25

In 2014 at this stage we weren't the best team in the league. But our lack of injuries that year made us the best team by the end, even though it didn't work out. There is still a lot of time to improve. I expect to be better in four weeks. The mistakes are frustrating, but as long as we keep winning they do us a service since they become coaching points. They keep the team working to improve. The 2011 team suffered a bit from too many Winner's Mondays where problems get lost.
Definitely not true. We were the best team in the conference at this point in 2014. At this point, we just came off a whooping the Falcons on Monday Night at Halftime only to witness the best half of footall I have ever seen by a WR in Julio Jones. We also absolutely destroyed the Bears, going 42-0 at halftime and Eagles as well as beating the Patriots with Bellicheck gushing over MM.

Our weak spot in 2014 was losing to Buffalo which put the game in Seattle.

Our 2014 defense improved significantly when we put Matthews at ILB and as you stated, we were very healthy.
But our defense that stretch after the bye only allowed more than 21 points in one game. It was a very good stretch.
image.png
I'm not talking about having the best record at any point in the season. Plenty of teams lead a conference and while they are good they aren't the best in the league. In 96 we were the best team from start to finish. We had the best D of the decade, great STs and a great O. Picking up some pieces on the way, kept us on top. In 14 we were good but it wasn't until the playoffs that I think you could say we were the best team. A big componant was our health and other teams losing pieces. Today we might be the best in the conference but we are not head and shoulders above all the other contenders. When the show starts in a month we'll know.
Yeah I get what you're saying but I don't agree with the 2014 assessment. Our team was there by this point of the season in 2014. We were on a 4 game winning streak and our defense was lethal after our bye. We were absolutely destroying teams. We finished the year 7-1. We were clearly a top team in the NFL the last half of the schedule. Seattle was too and showed how good we were in Seattle but I don't know if necessarily 7 quarters of postseason football in 2014 proved what we already knew in the Green Bay Packers being a legitimate title threat.

I was very confident going into that Seahawks game.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

BF004 wrote:
06 Dec 2020 19:46
German_Panzer wrote:
06 Dec 2020 19:40
texas wrote:
06 Dec 2020 18:48
The only reason it even felt close was because of 2 plays: the busted 4th and long and the punt return.
This Eagles team was in shambles and we let them get back. That tells volumes. I hope I see ghosts here and I hope I am overcritical but it ain't a good sign when you fall apart where you should start cruising. I mean: 4th and 18 and they score a TD? Are u kidding me? This is not Detroit, man, this is the Super Bowl! (Yeah,I stole that line :), bonus point if you know the context of it)
I mean of course we have our faults, every team does. It is very unlikely we win the super, as it is for every single team. Like maybe 10%, 15% tops given our current state? Just so easy to be like, yeah, I called it, we clearly weren’t good enough here. That’s just not going out on a limb. Enjoy the ride and see what we can do.

I feel like I must have watched a different game today than most. We were dominant other than two plays. It is 100 times easier to clamp down and improve on those two plays vs trying to improve on the other 58 plays when you get your tails kicked.

I just do not see a better team than is in the NFC. That doesn’t even mean we are the best or should expect to be in the super bowl, just there isn’t anyone clearly better than us.
I'll go one further. We're the best team in the NFC. The TB game raises questions, but there are several reasonable explanations for that performance that don't drop us below being the top team.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

texas wrote:
08 Dec 2020 00:53
BF004 wrote:
06 Dec 2020 19:46
German_Panzer wrote:
06 Dec 2020 19:40

This Eagles team was in shambles and we let them get back. That tells volumes. I hope I see ghosts here and I hope I am overcritical but it ain't a good sign when you fall apart where you should start cruising. I mean: 4th and 18 and they score a TD? Are u kidding me? This is not Detroit, man, this is the Super Bowl! (Yeah,I stole that line :), bonus point if you know the context of it)
I mean of course we have our faults, every team does. It is very unlikely we win the super, as it is for every single team. Like maybe 10%, 15% tops given our current state? Just so easy to be like, yeah, I called it, we clearly weren’t good enough here. That’s just not going out on a limb. Enjoy the ride and see what we can do.

I feel like I must have watched a different game today than most. We were dominant other than two plays. It is 100 times easier to clamp down and improve on those two plays vs trying to improve on the other 58 plays when you get your tails kicked.

I just do not see a better team than is in the NFC. That doesn’t even mean we are the best or should expect to be in the super bowl, just there isn’t anyone clearly better than us.
I'll go one further. We're the best team in the NFC. The TB game raises questions, but there are several reasonable explanations for that performance that don't drop us below being the top team.
I think we are but publicly won't say until they prove it.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
08 Dec 2020 07:33
I think we are but publicly won't say until they prove it.
I guess the best way to prove it is to beat the 1-seed...

...wait. :lol: