2020 General Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Apr 2020 12:01
Cool. Just wondering because when I do mocks, I try to look at who and what positions are available when, to get an idea of how to better structure a draft. For example, I can't get it to work where I realistically can get a LB I like in Round 3. Will that happen in the draft? No idea.
I've been having the same issue. Sometimes Troy Dye, but I'm not thrilled with that. I think that's why Logan Wilson has consistently moved up from borderline 3rd/4th to solidly top-70 (in addition to a good Senior Bowl and combine).

Though I think second/third tier ILBs often fall a little further than expected, so like if Malik Harrison lingers a little longer than expected, maybe he makes a surprise opinion.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Apr 2020 11:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Apr 2020 11:47
Do NFL teams do mock drafts in kind of a table top exercise format? Like get 32 scouts in a room, each has a team, and go through it in a multiple scenario type format. If not, why not?
My understanding is that yes, they sure do. Several, in fact.
Gm's and scouts do them, plus they pay and have others do them to, Ted has even said one of the most important things to know is what other GM's teams needs are that way teams aren't snatching players off your board right in front of you, probably why Ted was so successful with mid round picks, so it's not enough to know what or who you plan to take, but also if a team in front of you wants that player too, I bet they adjust there mocks weekly or more depending on info gathered.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Added a consensus Big Board with Combine measurements and times.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pretty different than most I've been seeing.

Ruiz has played both guard and center, so kind of fills both needs there.
image.png
image.png (71.91 KiB) Viewed 633 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

That's a really nice draft; Herrian is barely on my draft board so I'd like to see a different back there, and Cephus is a bit of a headcase, right? But a good group of players overall, for sure. I admit not knowing the guys at 208 and 209, but really like the other mid-rounders; Davis is a bargain back there, and Dane Jackson could solve our slot corner hole.

And wasn't different for the sake of being contrarian; seemed realistically different.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Cephus a head case? I for one, am not sure what you mean there.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Apr 2020 14:12
I thought that I heard he was a diva/character risk/bad locker room player. Great on-field effort, but not off. Am I confusing him with someone? Is the slow 40-time his only knock? I very well may be wrong. That's why I phrased it as a question.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Apr 2020 14:21
Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Apr 2020 14:12
I thought that I heard he was a diva/character risk/bad locker room player. Great on-field effort, but not off. Am I confusing him with someone? Is the slow 40-time his only knock? I very well may be wrong. That's why I phrased it as a question.
He got kicked off the team for sexual assault allegations.
UW-Madison announced Monday it has reinstated former Wisconsin Badgers wide receiver Quintez Cephus to the university — a year to the day after he told his team he had to step down and face criminal charges.

The university expelled Cephus last semester for violating the non-academic misconduct code following accusations of sexual assault from two women. A Dane County jury acquitted him of those charges earlier this month after deliberating for less than an hour.
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/educ ... 14741.html

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So the Giants are gunna have the #2 and the #4 pick in the draft 2 of the last 3 years, and they are looking like they might come out with a RB and an ILB. 2 of the most recently agreed upon least important positions.

Bold strategy Cotton.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Nobody liked the idea of Ruiz when I brought him up. Granted that was at 30. I think he's a real option. I've started leaning more towards Hennessey as an option though.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
15 Apr 2020 15:35
Nobody liked the idea of Ruiz when I brought him up. Granted that was at 30. I think he's a real option. I've started leaning more towards Hennessey as an option though.

I mean all that matters is he is good, but with center and guard experience, we kind of need a center and guard (assuming we don't resign Linsley).

If he and Jenkins are both really good and we keep Bak, just don't have liabilities at the other two spots and that's gunna be a really really good line.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
15 Apr 2020 16:19
paco wrote:

I mean all that matters is he is good, but with center and guard experience, we kind of need a center and guard (assuming we don't resign Linsley).

If he and Jenkins are both really good and we keep Bak, just don't have liabilities at the other two spots and that's gunna be a really really good line.
No doubt, I like him and would be happy with him. I think we need to draft a center if we aren't planning on moving Jenkins over. Ruiz and Hennessey are both good options on the interior.
RIP JustJeff

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

Well, mel kipers hair mocked Tee Higgins to us at 30. So that means they either trade down or draft an ot. That guy is never right. I can't believe people actually think he knows what he is talking about!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I got Reagor at 62 in this one I am doing now... :messedup:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Freewheelingutey wrote:
15 Apr 2020 19:15
Well, mel kipers hair mocked Tee Higgins to us at 30. So that means they either trade down or draft an ot. That guy is never right. I can't believe people actually think he knows what he is talking about!
He does actually. He is consistently one of the best Draftniks in the business. I am not a fan of him in front of the camera, but he does know what he is talking about.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Apr 2020 19:33
There has been some chatter (very little but some) that WR's could fall a bit because the class is deep. Get the guy you want at other positions and the WRs will be there in the 2nd, even 3rd.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
15 Apr 2020 19:48
Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Apr 2020 19:33
There has been some chatter (very little but some) that WR's could fall a bit because the class is deep. Get the guy you want at other positions and the WRs will be there in the 2nd, even 3rd.
Then I did it again and couldn't get a single WR I liked in the 2nd.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

paco wrote:
He was one of the BPA's in the mock sim I did. I gave it some thought, but unless we're expecting Linsley to depart, can't say I'd really care for the pick.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Labrev wrote:
15 Apr 2020 20:29
paco wrote:
He was one of the BPA's in the mock sim I did. I gave it some thought, but unless we're expecting Linsley to depart, can't say I'd really care for the pick.
That is what I expect. Think he's lower on the priority list compared to others we need to sign. He's already averaging $8.M/year. You ready to pay him $10M+? I'm not.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

paco wrote:
15 Apr 2020 20:32
Labrev wrote:
15 Apr 2020 20:29
paco wrote:
That is what I expect. Think he's lower on the priority list compared to others we need to sign. He's already averaging $8.M/year. You ready to pay him $10M+? I'm not.
Point taken.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto