General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
09 Dec 2020 08:35
Yoop wrote:
09 Dec 2020 08:18
didn't see this posted anywhere, while coach and GM where snubbed last year for Coch or GM of the year, they sure should be this year, specially Lafluer.

Just 12 games into his second season, LaFleur has already set the new franchise record for total wins in his first two seasons. He has 22 after Sunday’s win over the Philadelphia Eagles, breaking the previous record of 21 set by Mike McCarthy and Mike Sherman.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/coach-matt ... 16866.html
He's not winning it over Flores or Tomlin most likely.
Yeah, everyone wants to pin it to the guy who improved the franchise record the most, and for us, that made last year MLF's best chance.

Flores and Stefanski are getting a lot of love, though Flores may fade a bit since the Dolphins have looked a little more beatable and the QB switches haven't been what I would call ideal.

I get Harbaugh winning it for Baltimore last year because completely reinventing your offfense to build it around Jackson and getting an MVP season out of him was pretty clutch.

My feeling was that you either think Gutey deserved Executive of the year for facilitating that turnaround with the Smiths, Turner, Amos, and two all-rookie draft picks.... OR you have to give credit for MLF for winning 13 games as a rookie head coach on a team that had grown stale and missed the playoffs for 2 straight years.

My feeling is that MLF is one of the best young coaches in the league and he'll be in some conversations someday to get that recognition, but I understand falling second to the offensive revolution in Baltimore last year.

But the GM? No one did more to turn their team around, successfully, last year than Gutey, and this year has done nothing to dissuade me from that. This year, there is no reasonable way you could include Gutey in that conversation; the big moves were last year, and the action this year will help more in the future than right now.

But what MLF is doing sure is making it look silly that he wasn't a front-runner last year.

Hey crack research team ([mention]Pckfn23[/mention]?), what's the best W/L record for NFL coaches over their first two seasons (let's say since we went to 16-game seasons)?

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

Trudge wrote:
08 Dec 2020 21:45
BF004 wrote:
08 Dec 2020 18:58

So...um, Bogey what's up? :)
Yep, we were hoping for some real fans, but remain hopeful that fans will be allowed for the playoff games. I mean, I'm really thankful to be able to work the games and be at Lambeau in person these past two games and the rest of the regular season, but the game lacks a lot, obviously, with only about 500 people in the stands. Fingers crossed for the playoffs.

Earlier this fall, my wife and I decided to head to Florida in mid-January (we're retired from our "real" jobs) since it was looking like there would be no fans in the stands and thus no reason for me to be working there on game days. Now we've pushed our Florida sojourn back to after the NFC Championship game since we are feeling hopeful that Lambeau will host the game and I'll be able to work. Fingers crossed for that too. :)
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

George Seifert had 28 regular season wins and 4 playoff wins.
Steve Mariucci had 25 regular season wins and 2 playoff wins.
Jim Harbaugh had 24 regular season wins and 3 playoff wins.
Barry Switzer had 24 regular season wins and 4 playoff wins.
Jim Caldwell had 24 regular season wins and 2 playoff wins.
Sean McVay had 24 regular season wins and 2 playoff wins.
Mike Martz had 24 regular season wins and 2 playoff wins.

I believe that is a comprehensive list of all coaches to win 24+ games in their first 2 seasons, in NFL history.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Dec 2020 10:05
George Seifert had 28 regular season wins and 4 playoff wins.
Steve Mariucci had 25 regular season wins and 2 playoff wins.
Jim Harbaugh had 24 regular season wins and 3 playoff wins.
Barry Switzer had 24 regular season wins and 4 playoff wins.
Jim Caldwell had 24 regular season wins and 2 playoff wins.
Sean McVay had 24 regular season wins and 2 playoff wins.
Mike Martz had 24 regular season wins and 2 playoff wins.

I believe that is a comprehensive list of all coaches to win 24+ games in their first 2 seasons, in NFL history.
Thanks; and so far MLF is at 22 regular season wins and 1 playoff win?

Also, the top 2 (and one tied for 3rd) results were 49ers coaches!? :shock:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I think most would expect at least tying Mooch at this point.

Not sure if that Seifert record is going to be touched ever.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Player leaders at the 3/4 mark:
Passing TDs - Rodgers
Passer Rating - Rodgers
Adj. Yards/Pass Att. - Rodgers
Adj. Ner Yards/Pass Att. - Rodgers
Pass TD % - Rodgers
Receiving TDs - Adams
Yards/Rec. - Valdes-Scantling
Receiving Yards/Game - Adams
Extra Pts. Made - Crosby
Extra Pts. Att. - Crosby
Field Goal % - Crosby
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packers as a Team at the 3/4 Mark:

Points - 1st
Yards - 2nd
Plays - 21st
Yards/Play - 2nd
TOs - 3rd
Passing yards - 5th
Passing TDs - 1st
INTs - 3rd
Yards/Att. - 4th
Net Yards/Att. - 3rd
Yards/Comp. - 7th
Sacks - 2nd
Rushing yards - 8th
Rushing TDs - 19th
Yards/Att Rushing - 11th
Penalties - 6th
Expected points - 2nd
Scoring % - 3rd
3rd % - 4th
4th % - 12th
RZ % - 2nd

Yards/Punt Return - 29th
Yards/Kick return - 31st
TB% - 20th
Average KO yards - 7th
Yards/Punt - 26th
Yards/Punt Return Against - 32nd
Only team with 2 punt returns against. One of only 3 teams with a punt return against.
Yards/Kick Return Against - 19th

Points - 15th
Yards - 11th
Yards/Play - 18th
TOs - 23rd
Yards Passing - 11th
Passing Tds - 18th
INTs - 21st
Yards/Att. - 24th
Net yards/pass att. - 16th
Rating - 22nd
Rushing yards - 14th
Rushing TDs - 15th
Yards/Rush - 27th
Tackles for Loss - 22nd
Penalties - 24th
TO% - 21st
Exp Points% - 17th
Blitz % - 23rd
Hurry % - 15th
Knock down % - 27th
Sacks - 11th
Sack% - 6th
Pressures - 22nd
Pressure % - 19th
Missed Tackles - 24th

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Dec 2020 15:15
Hurry % - 15th
Knock down % - 27th
Sacks - 11th
Sack% - 6th
Pressures - 22nd
Pressure % - 19th
Missed Tackles - 24th
This whole part here is just so maddening; we clearly have the talent to see this do better (and by that I mean we have seen this same talent do better)

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 15:19
Pckfn23 wrote:
Hurry % - 15th
Knock down % - 27th
Sacks - 11th
Sack% - 6th
Pressures - 22nd
Pressure % - 19th
Missed Tackles - 24th
This whole part here is just so maddening; we clearly have the talent to see this do better (and by that I mean we have seen this same talent do better)
Clark carrying the groin problem is big impact. Healthy Clark and those pass rushing stats would look different.

Doubt Clark gets better til post season though.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Definitely not just that. P Smith having a big impact on that as well.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 15:19
Pckfn23 wrote:
Hurry % - 15th
Knock down % - 27th
Sacks - 11th
Sack% - 6th
Pressures - 22nd
Pressure % - 19th
Missed Tackles - 24th
after SF lose it seems to me that our Olb's are first tasked to make sure it's not play action or a run, then rush the passer, and also play some sort of disguise roll, I think thats why they had the meeting a week or two back with Pettine and asked to go back to more instinctive play, imo Pettines attempt was to help support a weak ILB group that lack instincts and wheels to defend stretch runs. hard to blame Pettine to much, I think we both liked KIrksey after losing Martinez, and I know he's nursing a injury, but man does he look slow.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

those Smith boys, P and Z should have stuck to cough drops, they been hacking it up all year :lol:

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Yoop wrote:
09 Dec 2020 15:46
those Smith boys, P and Z should have stuck to cough drops, they been hacking it up all year :lol:
Yeah, 3rd in the league in sacks is awful. What a bum. ;)
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

OLBs up until the last few games were still playing run defense like they played against SF in the playoffs, overrunning, not setting the edge, and flying upfield.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Packers as a Team at the 3/4 Mark:

Points - 15th
Yards - 11th
Yards/Play - 18th
TOs - 23rd
Yards Passing - 11th
Passing Tds - 18th
INTs - 21st
Yards/Att. - 24th
Net yards/pass att. - 16th
Rating - 22nd
Rushing yards - 14th
Rushing TDs - 15th
Yards/Rush - 27th
Tackles for Loss - 22nd
Penalties - 24th
TO% - 21st
Exp Points% - 17th
Blitz % - 23rd
Hurry % - 15th
Knock down % - 27th
Sacks - 11th
Sack% - 6th
Pressures - 22nd
Pressure % - 19th
Missed Tackles - 24th
So really all of this is quite interesting.

On a high level view, our defense looks to be about 11th to 15th ranked in total yards, passing yards, rushing yards and points allwoed.

But a deeper view and our defense is much more in that 16th to 25th range when we go by yards allowed per play, rush yards per play, pressure rate, tackle rate, TFL rate.

I would tend to think this is because our offensive success is allowing our defense to look better than they are which is why we complain about our defense more than we would think for having an slightly above average defense.

Whereas last year, even though our actual high level stats for 2019 defense is comparable to 2020 defense, last year our defense was put in a lot more compromising positions and they stood up to them more.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-ac ... all-injury

Glad Simon is activated from IR. Sad it is done to the expense of Swerv and Greene.
The Green Bay Packers activated G Simon Stepaniak (step-uh-nack) from reserve/non-football injury and placed RB Tyler Ervin, S Raven Greene and DL Billy Winn on injured reserve. The transactions were announced Wednesday by General Manager Brian Gutekunst.
Notice that Dillon is still on the COVID list too. :?
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
09 Dec 2020 16:18
But a deeper view and our defense is much more in that 16th to 25th range when we go by yards allowed per play, rush yards per play, pressure rate, tackle rate, TFL rate.
One of the websites sorts the defensive data based only on the competitive portion of the game. The Packers have streaked out to big leads and then held on late, trading points for time as the win is salted away. This is likley true for most of the top teams, but it would be interesting to see it broken down that way.

One example is points scored in 1st half and GB comes in as #4 defense in the league in first half points allowed

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/o ... -per-game

And then GB defense is tied for 25th in 4th quarter points allowed

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/o ... s-per-game
IT. IS. TIME

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

BSA wrote:
09 Dec 2020 16:30
go pak go wrote:
One of the websites sorts the defensive data based only on the competitive portion of the game. The Packers have streaked out to big leads and then held on late, trading points for time as the win is salted away. This is likley true for most of the top teams, but it would be interesting to see it broken down that way.

One example is points scored in 1st half and GB comes in as #4 defense in the league in first half points allowed

Don't point out logic BSA, you are wasting your time here for a few of these guys. :lol:
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

12th
3rd
21st
25th

First half is good, 3rd quarter I don't like so much.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
09 Dec 2020 16:30
go pak go wrote:

I'm not too shocked to see this. There is no question our defense gives up a lot of garbage points this year. And it is good to see we are in the higher end of the league for garbage points allowed.

Points Allowed in Q4 with a Packers 3+ Score lead (more than 16 points)
MN Week 1 - Allowed 24 Points in Q4
DET Week 2 - Allowed 7 Points in Q4
ATL Week 4 - Allowed 7 Points in Q4
HOU Week 7 - Allowed 13 Points in Q4
SF Week 9 - Allowed 14 Points in Q4
CHI Week 12 - Allowed 15 Points in Q4
PHI Week 13 - Allowed 13 Points in Q4

Points Allowed in Q4 with a Packers Score of Less than 3 Score Lead (less than 16 points) or Behind
New Orleans - 3 Points Allowed in Q4
Tampa Bay - 0 Points Allowed in Q4
Minnesota Week 8 - 0 Points Allowed in Q4
Jacksonville - 3 Points Allowed in Q4
Indianapolis - 6 Points Allowed in Q4 and 3 Points Allowed in OT

The Colts also should be qualified. 3 Points were scored early in the 4th on a drive that started on the Colts 36 Yardline. This was a legit drive.
The other 3 points in the 4th quarter was because of getting the ball from a KO Fumble from Shepherd. The Colts got 3 yards and kicked the Figgy
The OT 3 points was because of an MVS fumble. The Colts got 8 yards.
Yoop wrote: