The Super Bowl or Road To It

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

The Super Bowl or Road To It

Post by YoHoChecko »

We have very few active threads and this content has been slipping into them, and I thought it might be more approachable to sort of have a repository for things like...

our odds of making the Super Bowl.

The matchups against teams we might face on the way.

It seems to fit neither in the game threads nor the general news threads, but it's taken place in both.

So I figured it's late enough in the season to get this going.

Here is the FPI (ESPN/538/Elo-based football power index) odds for the ten teams most likely to win the Super Bowl
image.png
image.png (54.38 KiB) Viewed 540 times
Here's the vastly different Football Outsiders top-ten odds:
image.png
image.png (18.92 KiB) Viewed 540 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Some chat about the Chiefs:
lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Dec 2020 16:20
Yoop wrote:
08 Dec 2020 14:26
YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Dec 2020 13:25

I actually texted a friend saying I'd rather face the Chiefs without Hill than the Chiefs without Mahomes.

Last year when we beat the Chiefs with Matt Moore, we played defense in a way that infuriated everyone--holding safeties back, passively avoiding big plays. We did that because of Tyreek Hill. You can't leave him single covered for a single play. It's an absurd field-tilting effect.

Mahomes is a god. But if we can cover his receivers, we can hold up.
yep, and the thing is both, that you designate to cover Hill, have to be very good, other wise he'll have those two defenders running into each other, I saw him do it the couple times I watched him this year, guy has great body control, I agree if you can limit Hill, get a good pass rush going, and I think our defense would fare ok, I'd use Jaire and Savage or the next best CB not named King.
I actually wouldn’t be that concerned with Hill. Obviously it’s a tough cover for Alexander but it’s a least a close matchup in terms of athleticism and physicality.

The concern is Kelce for me. I’m not sure how we cover him.
YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Dec 2020 19:10
lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Dec 2020 18:54
Obviously Hill is a good player. I’m not saying he’s not. I just think our strength is our secondary in pass coverage. We dont have the linebackers to cover Kelce. I’ll trust Alexander in an all pro year over Kirksey, Martin, Amos, or Greene covering Kelce one on one.
That's the thing. You literally can't go "one on one" in this game. You HAVE to keep your safeties back. You have to play defense differently. And that's because of Hill.

If you mess up with Kelce, he'll make you pay, certainly.

If you mess up with Hill, he'll make you pay with a TD from anywhere on the field.
texas wrote:
09 Dec 2020 03:40
Same. I actually think Tyreek Hill is more important to that offense than Mahomes. I actually think that Mahomes is largely a product of his supporting cast plus Andy Reid. However, without all that he would still be a top 10 or even top 5 QB. He just wouldn't be the legend that he is currently.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

I can't talk myself into feeling like the Saints should be considered this big of a favorite in the NFC right now.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
09 Dec 2020 11:49
I can't talk myself into feeling like the Saints should be considered this big of a favorite in the NFC right now.
I can't either, and I'm surprised it's that dramatic (esp. Football Outsiders)

But then again, I'm surprised FPI is so low on the Rams.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 11:50
kyle.mccarroll wrote:

Yeah, I think NO/GB/LAR should be pretty close right now (maybe give a slight edge to NO since they are currently leading for HFA). I think those are the three best teams in the NFC right now though; gonna be interesting to watch it unfold since NO/LAR are both strong defensive teams with good offenses, and the Packers are an elite offense with an average defense.

I'm not sure that I trust Goff or Brees in the playoffs, but I almost certainly don't trust our defense either.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah now way should the probability of the Saints be 3 times the probability of the Packers.

I think the Rams should be favored between them over SEA but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the Hawks win the division. Their schedule is easier than the Rams and they can easily split the series in Seattle to win the division. I just think the Giants knocking off the Hawks was so huge for the Packers chances at the top seed.

I have been watching a lot of Saints games because of focus on the NFC top seed.

Their defense is legit. I didn't think they were for a long time but they are a top defense in this league. Are they an historic defense like the 49ers were last year or the legion of boom was in 2013/2014?....I don't think they are.

Generally Rodgers struggles vs the really high end defenses with the exception of the Falcons 2016 defense stopping us pretty good. That being said, the Saints offense also doesn't petrify me. They have two elite weapons like the Packers do at the WR and RB spot. Taysom Hill actually throws the ball better than I think the public gave credit for. He put out some good balls vs Atlanta. Brees will likely be your guy in January though which means we probably don't have to worry as much getting beat over the top.

I simply don't think the Saints can keep up with the Packers if Rodgers, Adams and Jones are rolling.

The Rams on the other hand have a younger QB, albiet not as football wise, but younger and they can move the ball a lot faster down the field. Their defense is also legit. Let's just say I really hope we have Corey Linsley at full strength by the time we play Aaron Donald.

I think my ultimate hope is the Rams take an early exit because I think they are the toughest matchup vs us.

It will be also be interesting if we hope to play a Giants team in the divisional round or another team in the divisional round.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
09 Dec 2020 12:37
I have been watching a lot of Saints games because of focus on the NFC top seed.

Their defense is legit. I didn't think they were for a long time but they are a top defense in this league. Are they an historic defense like the 49ers were last year or the legion of boom was in 2013/2014?....I don't think they are.
Do you think their defense is better now than it was in week 3?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 12:39
go pak go wrote:

I do and it is primarily because Cameron Jordan and Damario Davis are better than they were in Week 3.

Damario Davis is playing out of his absolute freaking mind. He is the best inside linebacker in the league this year. I mean he is doing what the two Bucs ILBs did to us on a week in and week out basis. I haven't seen Malcom Jenkins light teams like he did in week 3. But that front 7 of the Saints is clearly dominating the games they are playing in.

Their secondary is incredibly aggressive. They tow the line and honestly get away with a lot of stuff. You need physical players to beat that and maybe that is why Lazard had the success he had.

I'm really curious to see how the Saints respond at KC. They definitely seem to be a dome team who plays in only warm games. So it will be interesting to see if their energy is the same outdoors.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 11:50
kyle.mccarroll wrote:

Seems to be dependent on the #1 seed. I would think we would flip odds if we end up with it. Maybe historical data supports that, but I think we have seen by now, home field isn't what it once was for this season.

Read More. Post Less.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Is there any advantage to home field so far this season? I mean across the league.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
09 Dec 2020 13:25
Is there any advantage to home field so far this season? I mean across the league.
I don't know what the numbers say, but obviously sleep in your own bed, avoid air travel and hotels, etc. Routine and comfort are always the advantage there.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

WHOA! Home team is 96-95 this year.

Last year it was 132-123.

2018 it was 153-101.

2017 it was 145-111.

2016 it was 147-107.

I could keep going back, but last year looks like a big anomaly, and this year there is essentially no home field advantage.

2897-2197 is the home team record the last 20 years before this year.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The bye is the much bigger aspect than the homefield, I think, when making these odds.

Even if you're 75% likely to win your first game, applying that extra percentage to the odds of winning the next couple games will have a bit of an exponential impact

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Home team in the Divisional Round wins 70% of the time the last 20 years.

Wild Card Round the home team wins 56.3%.

Championship Round the home team wins 67.5%.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
09 Dec 2020 12:48
YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 12:39
go pak go wrote:

I do and it is primarily because Cameron Jordan and Damario Davis are better than they were in Week 3.

Damario Davis is playing out of his absolute freaking mind. He is the best inside linebacker in the league this year. I mean he is doing what the two Bucs ILBs did to us on a week in and week out basis. I haven't seen Malcom Jenkins light teams like he did in week 3. But that front 7 of the Saints is clearly dominating the games they are playing in.

Their secondary is incredibly aggressive. They tow the line and honestly get away with a lot of stuff. You need physical players to beat that and maybe that is why Lazard had the success he had.

I'm really curious to see how the Saints respond at KC. They definitely seem to be a dome team who plays in only warm games. So it will be interesting to see if their energy is the same outdoors.
this will show how little I know of other teams rosters, however prior to reading this post of yours, my first thought concerning WHO Rodgers struggles against is teams with excellent lbers, they stop the run and cover the short zones forcing Rodgers to hold the ball longer, Lafluer has been a lot better at figuring out better matchups to beat them, but we are short on ammunition, we need ERvin back, and have to hope Austin still has some gas in the tank, course Jones and Williams will help to, but every time we struggle it's because of superior ILB talent.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
09 Dec 2020 12:48
Their secondary is incredibly aggressive.
Their position coach is former DB, Aaron Glenn, and The Athletic has a great article on him - saying he is a really really good coach and will be a HC someday soon. Bill Parcells is one of his mentors and Parcells was busting his chops for losing to the Packers. Bill told him he has to work on the eye discipline for his DBs and that the Packers offense gave his crew too much eye candy.
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
09 Dec 2020 16:35
Their position coach is former DB, Aaron Glenn, and The Athletic has a great article on him - saying he is a really really good coach and will be a HC someday soon. Bill Parcells is one of his mentors and Parcells was busting his chops for losing to the Packers. Bill told him he has to work on the eye discipline for his DBs and that the Packers offense gave his crew too much eye candy.
Probably has to be a DC... somewhere before he can be a head coach....

:hide: ;)

I'm a little bitter about letting Patrick Graham get away. He really wowed me in his year here as LB coach, but reasonably left to join Flores' staff as DC when he had the chance, and now is the architect of the Giants' D that has allowed that team a winning streak despite not having an offense.

Just names to consider for later; I don't get much into whether or not anyone needs to be replaced in the midst of good seasons.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 17:06
Probably has to be a DC... somewhere before he can be a head coach....
Perfect comment because in the article, Aaron Glenn said he wanted to get into coaching when he retired from the league
And Parcells told him: " Nope. You have to go and learn how to be a scout first, then you can coach."

All things in their time. But GB is likely to face that secondary again in the playoffs unless somebody else knocks them out, like in 2019
IT. IS. TIME

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

I have Saints as NFC favorites - just a good overall team. I view them similar to Peyton in his broncos years just needing the vet QB to manage them.

Important how Brees comes back from injury.

Saints and Chiefs

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
09 Dec 2020 18:18
Saints and Chiefs
It's pretty unreal how similar the Packers and Chiefs are.

We know Rodgers and Mahomes are the 2 front-runners for MVP (and are the two most talented QBs known to man). Let's take a look.
image.png
image.png (11.3 KiB) Viewed 411 times
So that's neck and neck

Let's look at the advanced analytics from Football Outsiders.
image.png
image.png (4.93 KiB) Viewed 411 times
I think people look more critically at their own team than others around the league. The Packers beat the Saints. They perform at nearly identical levels as the Chiefs.

We have one of the best teams in the league. With solid Super Bowl championship probability