Aaron Freaking Rodgers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

As a fan I just watching the offense too and see how they all care for one another.

Like it is really cool that outside of ARod, Adams, and Jenkins, all the players came into the league with something to prove.

I believe every player outside the three listed above is a day 3 pick or UDFA signing. And they are all selfless and putting themselves on the line for their teammates. It's just simply fun to root for these guys and have them prove the world wrong.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
09 Dec 2020 12:44
I believe every player outside the three listed above is a day 3 pick or UDFA signing. And they are all selfless and putting themselves on the line for their teammates. It's just simply fun to root for these guys and have them prove the world wrong.
Turner was drafted in the 3rd (67th overall)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 12:46
go pak go wrote:
09 Dec 2020 12:44
Turner was drafted in the 3rd (67th overall)
Are you serious?

Why did I always think he was a Miami UDFA?
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Yoop wrote:
09 Dec 2020 12:24
however I would have done a few things differently. I hated the pick, we could have waited two years to pick a QB
This is a common refrain on message boards and one that I find fascinating. Because more often than not the fans are proven to be wrong and the Packers, right. Not always, but most of the time

Need proof of that statement ? Listen to Bob Harlan. During an interview they asked him which historical events led to the most hate mail from Packer fans- and he said that by a very wide margin the 2 events that created the most unhappiness & vitriol among Packer fans were:

When they traded a 1st rounder for Favre
When they spent a 1st rounder on Rodgers

The two ballsy moves that turned the Packers into perennial winners for 25+ years... were initially hated by the fans.

So it gives me great comfort to know how much you and other Packer fans loathe the Love pick - because based on history- he's gonna be a HOF player and Packer fans will once again be proven to be totally, completely and inarguably WRONG. :mrgreen:
IT. IS. TIME

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Big Dog was a 1st-rounder.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

And, of course, there is Sternberger, Love, Dillon, & Deguara.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
09 Dec 2020 12:58
Yoop wrote:
however I would have done a few things differently. I hated the pick, we could have waited two years to pick a QB
This is a common refrain on message boards and one that I find fascinating. Because more often than not the fans are proven to be wrong and the Packers, right. Not always, but most of the time

Need proof of that statement ? Listen to Bob Harlan. During an interview they asked him which historical events led to the most hate mail from Packer fans- and he said that by a very wide margin the 2 events that created the most unhappiness & vitriol among Packer fans were:

The two ballsy moves that turned the Packers into perennial winners for 25+ years... were initially hated by the fans.

So it gives me great comfort to know how much you and other Packer fans loathe the Love pick - because based on history- he's gonna be a HOF player and Packer fans will once again be proven to be totally, completely and inarguably WRONG. :mrgreen:
From Packerreport.com - the 2005 Draft Grades.

These are fantastic.
Draft Grade: D-
Here's why: The only things that prevented them from getting an F were drafting Aaron Rodgers in round 1 and picking up the two quality receivers in rounds 2 and 6.
I was shocked and aghast when they took Nick Collins with their first second round pick....can you say, R-E-A-C-H?? Many publications had him as a 4th or 5th rounder. Day two was even worse. The Packers wasted pick after pick on small school, Division I-AA talent that was evaluated much lower by many draft experts. While other teams drafted proven talent from big time college programs the Packers beat the bushes drafting minor leaguers!!
Draft Grade: D
Here's why: I don't see one player that the Packers drafted that
will start this upcoming season with the exception of
special teams. There were many Cornerbacks ranked
ahead of Nick Collins when he was taken with the 51st
pick. I don't understand this pick nor picking a wide
receiver with the # 58 pick. Opposing quarterbacks had
a whopping 99 % pass rating against the defense (worst
in the NFL) last season and Green Bay did little to
improve their personnel to put pressure on the
quarterback. Teams such as Minnesota and Dallas
drafted for need vs the Packers taking the best player
available. If I were Brett, i would be wondering if
the Packers are committed to winning now. From this
draft, it sure does not look like it.
Draft Grade: Big, fat "D"
Here's why: It looks like they are counting on Favre to carry the season while they
build for the future - again.
Craig Nall has never done poorly - why isn't he considered the "Heir to the
Throne"? So now we have a 'future' quarterback, another receiver (trade
bait?) and a safety who might take two years to learn the game to
complement two clueless cornerbacks who still haven't figured it out.
Here's hoping the late picks can come through or we are in for a woeful
season of high-scoring losses.
Draft Grade: F-
Here's why: Is Thompson still working for Seattle? When I watched opposing offenses run roughshod over the pathetic GB defense (a line that puts almost no pressure on the QB, backs who can't defend the pass - unless, of course they hold, players who can't tackle) ("Remember the Titans" isn't just a movie title), my first thought wasn't, "what this team really needs is a backup QB."
It doesn't matter who the defensive coordinator is. If your players have no talent (or brains, Draft pick Nick Collins scored a 10 on the Wonderlic test!), you're not going to stop the opposing offense. One of the few players from last years team with talent now wears purple, and the defense gets zero help from the draft?
Draft Grade: F
Here's why: After watching the second round on Saturday I was in total shock. Where was our pass rushing DE or our bone jarring LB? Instead, we were left with a bag full of question marks and more gray hairs. This draft, in three years, might turn out to be alright, BUT Brett won't be here in three years. We need to win NOW. Unless Ted Thompson can gather some capable players after June 1 to step in and make an immediate impact, our season is a wash and so is this years draft.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
09 Dec 2020 12:58
Yoop wrote:

wow, thanks for the insults,lol for one I was so happy Wolf traded a 1st round pick for Farvre,not just Favre, but any highly rated QB, how long did you think Makowski would be able to deliver magic, or even stay healthy, and Favre had threatened to retire for 5 years, and Rodgers dropped into our lap, and to think Love will ever compare to either of those two is a guess at best, in fact odds are against him ever even starting for 3 straight years,

sure fans are usually wrong, we don't get paid to be right, however every fan should be allowed to voice there opinion, and mine is that Jefferson would have been a shot of adrenline this team may need in the playoffs, yoho touched on something that you may have neglected to think about, the more players that require over the top support or doubles makes it easier for others to be open, right now we have one of those guys, two is always better then one.

and I'am right far more then I'am wrong concerning this stuff, we'll revisit and you can glout about how good Love is if he ever starts :mrgreen:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
09 Dec 2020 12:59
NCF wrote:
09 Dec 2020 13:02
I think he meant starters, which seemingly holds up surprisingly well.

But FUTURE starters may not, considering some of those guys.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 14:08
NCF wrote:
09 Dec 2020 12:59
NCF wrote:
09 Dec 2020 13:02
I think he meant starters, which seemingly holds up surprisingly well.

But FUTURE starters may not, considering some of those guys.
why where you so high on Dillon? seriously he's a north/south runner, and Lafluer likes outside stretch running, Jones fits those schemes to a tee, even Williams has enough speed to do it, but Dillon has looked to slow, just being big isn't enough if you can't beat the coverage3 to the3 cut up lane, another pick that left me wondering.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Dillon has run the ball 7 times...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
09 Dec 2020 14:23
why where you so high on Dillon? seriously he's a north/south runner, and Lafluer likes outside stretch running, Jones fits those schemes to a tee, even Williams has enough speed to do it, but Dillon has looked to slow, just being big isn't enough if you can't beat the coverage3 to the3 cut up lane, another pick that left me wondering.
Because he's not slow? At all.

His measurable numbers are nearly identical to Derrick Henry and Jamal Lewis. In college, if I were to evaluate him, I'd have said in fact he didn't run enough like a power back at times.

But I thought the combination of a guy like Jones and a guy like Dillon would be mega hard to beat.

His 40-time is actually about the same as Jones', though obviously his quickness and acceleration aren't.

We have had a lot of issues with short yardage runs since we switched to the MLF scheme and I think Dillon is the right combination of speed and power to address those concerns.

To be fair, I liked him more as a 3rd rounder than a second. But I mean, he's every bit of what we thought of Eddie Lacy when we took him in the same time. There's no reason not to have expectations of him. Both his college production, where he was incredibly productive despite being the only thing that offense had and his measurables indicate a guy who is an NFL-caliber back with a high floor and a high ceiling.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Yoop wrote:
09 Dec 2020 14:01
wow, thanks for the insults
Hmmmm...which insults ? I read it twice and I can't find any. If I wanted to insult you, you'd certainly know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAy4zULKFDU

IT. IS. TIME

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Most recent draft was all time bad. To be in a potential Super bowl year and have your first three picks not have any involvement at all is shocking.

WR, LB could have had starters - DT rotation. We got noting. Funnily enough if we resign Jones our first two picks will give us nothing next year as well.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
09 Dec 2020 14:54
Most recent draft was all time bad. To be in a potential Super bowl year and have your first three picks not have any involvement at all is shocking.

WR, LB could have had starters - DT rotation. We got noting. Funnily enough if we resign Jones our first two picks will give us nothing next year as well.
And boy, did it cost us! :aok:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Yoop wrote:
why where you so high on Dillon?
Because of what he brings to the passing game

Here's an excerpt from a Q&A with Vic Ketchman on the topic

Q: Dillon and Jones: "Thunder and Lightning." I know we all love a catchy nickname but, in reality, what does having a "Thunder and Lightning" backfield do to a defense? What are the benefits other than it sounds neat?

A: " It allows you to dictate to the defense. When you go big, they have to go big, too. When you go small and quick, they have to do the same. Having a running back with the size and power Dillon possesses will keep a linebacker on the field. The defense doesn't dare get light in the pants up front with Dillon in the game, or the Packers will pound. We saw that with Eddie Lacy. This is why I say you're not really running the ball if you're not running it with power. The defenders a defense uses to stop a speed back are the same defenders it uses to defend against the pass.The big back opens up the passing game."
MLF saw this first hand in Tennessee with Derrick Henry and he wants to replicate it in GB

We've also seen a little more Power running from GB over the 2020 season and a slight change in the OL they've acquired. Stepaniak is not a traditional ZBS type - he's a mauler and so is Runyan Jr. The Packers are getting "tougher" and I'm happy to see the transition
IT. IS. TIME

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 15:03
bud fox wrote:

Yeah cause we have won the Super Bowl.

I don't even know what to say, the response is essentially "Yeah we could have improved but doesn't matter". I guess my thoughts are it does matter that our team gets better.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 14:46
Yoop wrote:
Because he's not slow? At all.

His measurable numbers are nearly identical to Derrick Henry and Jamal Lewis. In college, if I were to evaluate him, I'd have said in fact he didn't run enough like a power back at times.

But I thought the combination of a guy like Jones and a guy like Dillon would be mega hard to beat.

His 40-time is actually about the same as Jones', though obviously his quickness and acceleration aren't.

We have had a lot of issues with short yardage runs since we switched to the MLF scheme and I think Dillon is the right combination of speed and power to address those concerns.

To be fair, I liked him more as a 3rd rounder than a second. But I mean, he's every bit of what we thought of Eddie Lacy when we took him in the same time. There's no reason not to have expectations of him. Both his college production, where he was incredibly productive despite being the only thing that offense had and his measurables indicate a guy who is an NFL-caliber back with a high floor and a high ceiling.
the Lacy run schemes, one cut and go, are a lot different then stretching the play side and cutting up the open gap at near full speed, that requires the quicks and agility that Dillon hasn't shown, if anything he has LOOKED slow to the edge.

I thought mostly that Dillon was insurance in case we had to let Jones walk in FA, I have to admit we hav't seen a lot of Dillon, and I didn't even check out RB's in the last draft, we'll see next year I guess.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
09 Dec 2020 15:08
Yeah cause we have won the Super Bowl.

I don't even know what to say, the response is essentially "Yeah we could have improved but doesn't matter". I guess my thoughts are it does matter that our team gets better.
If you're using the draft to improve the team in the immediate term without a top 10 pick, you're just rollin the dice.

Everyone points to Jefferson, but Reagor and Ayiuk (as nice as they look as players) have not made any real tangible difference to their teams. And the WRs we do have are part of the literal best offense in the league.

A rookie DT would barely make much difference. You probably hated the Kenny Clark pick for the first 18 months.

I just wrote a whole post on the team-building process we are clearly utilizing a page ago. It's incredibly obvious to anyone who pays the faintest bit of attention that our head coach prefers to avoid playing rookies and that our HC and GM are operating to open a window of sustained success.

The team got better in each of the past two years through the improvement of 2nd and 3rd year players and the addition of free agents FAR more than they got better due to rookie contributions. The ONLY exception is Jenkins and he only started due to an injury.

Your view on how teams build and improve is not a difference of opinion. It is incorrect. The best rookie classes might have 2-3 guys make an impact, and rarely more than 2 making impacts on a level that goes beyond "really impressive for a rookie season."

We have had two GMs now, in a row, who have built a consistently winning football team that has appeared in far more than its share of conference championship games by building teams this way.

If you haven't caught on yet, you never will. And that's a failing of yours, not of the team's.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 15:03
bud fox wrote:

we don't know what it cost us yet Yoho, for crip sakes we play a bunch of wussie teams and still struggle to close out games, a LBER would have been nice, same with WR or DT as Bud suggested.

I get this loyalty to management, and I've never said Guty sucked, but all this draft for the future has left holes in this roster this year, and Buds right, if we retain Jones, ( very doubtful) Dillon will be our main RB, having a slow start is a recipe for disaster on outside stretch runs.

rookies start on playoff teams every season, often it's those players that get them into the playoffs, Alexander was excellent CB year one, Gary would have started minus the Smiths, this idea of using 1st round picks on sitters is border line insane, no sale Yoho.