Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

It's a little silly to say "Tank -- but only if eliminated from the playoffs" especially with the new seeding. The season is almost over and nobody from the NFC has been eliminated, and only four teams from the AFC have been.

If you are going to play for a playoff spot, then you are going to risk being slotted somewhere in that yucky middle that misses out on the playoffs AND the cream-of-the-crop. If you are bad enough to know your season is lost earlier than most, you're probably getting a Top-10 selection anyway.

It also fails to consider that some drafts are deeper than others and how much of a crapshoot it can generally be. Some drafts' cream-of-the-crop is like 20 players. Some are 5 players.

Ultimately, I don't think the argument for tanking (while I admire it in-theory) really holds up in the NFL's reality.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

BSA wrote:
09 Dec 2020 17:03
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
09 Dec 2020 13:16
Lombardi's full "run to win" quote.
"We run to win, not just to be in the race"
That is one variation. It's somewhere in When Pride Still Mattered, but I can't find it again. It was based on a bible verse: "Do you not know that all the runners in a stadium compete, but only one receives the prize? So run to win."
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
09 Dec 2020 17:50
It's a little silly to say "Tank -- but only if eliminated from the playoffs" especially with the new seeding. The season is almost over and nobody from the NFC has been eliminated, and only four teams from the AFC have been.
Yes. The playoff system, especially now, is completely designed to keep 14 Conference teams "in it" until Week 14 - 15 and the rest until Week 15 and maybe 8 or 9 teams until Week 17. You have to be catastrophic levels of bad and in a division with a clear leader to be eliminated before that.

It is interesting because I think there was a lot of sentiment, including from me, that because of the NFC East, you would have to be minimum 10-6 to make in the show as a wildcard.

Though that may happen, it is looking more likely that 9-7 or even 8-8 could squeeze a team or two in.

And what is even stranger is I would look at an 8 or 9 win Vikings/Cardinals and 9ers and be like...."those team could do something to the division winners in January"
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
09 Dec 2020 21:06
BSA wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
09 Dec 2020 13:16
Lombardi's full "run to win" quote.
That is one variation. It's somewhere in When Pride Still Mattered, but I can't find it again. It was based on a bible verse: "Do you not know that all the runners in a stadium compete, but only one receives the prize? So run to win."
Yup. That verse was written by a guy who was imprisoned, stoned, shipwrecked, ridiculed, beaten, arrested, and much more that would've tempted almost anybody to give up. But he had a greater purpose.

Football isn't as great a purpose, but the idea of doing every single thing with excellence is what makes any organization successful. That was Lombardi's mantra. And that is why tanking is not an option for the Green Bay Packers, ever.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
10 Dec 2020 09:32
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
09 Dec 2020 21:06
BSA wrote:

Yup. That verse was written by a guy who was imprisoned, stoned, shipwrecked, ridiculed, beaten, arrested, and much more that would've tempted almost anybody to give up. But he had a greater purpose.

Football isn't as great a purpose, but the idea of doing every single thing with excellence is what makes any organization successful. That was Lombardi's mantra. And that is why tanking is not an option for the Green Bay Packers, ever.
Sounds cool.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yuck, just saw a mock offseason where the Patriots trade for Matt Stafford. He's by far the best thing the Lions have, but I could 100% this happening and him doing really really well in New England.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I feel like there are 5-6 top-40 QBs in the draft this year but there are like ten teams who need new QBs either this year or next year.

The Patriots need to find their next guy, whether they trade for Stafford or not.

But the Jets(1), Jaguars (2), Bears (3), poossibly the Panthers, possibly the Falcons (4), mmaaaybe the Broncos, definitely WFT (5), the Lions longer term?, maaaaybe the 49ers, outside chance of Vegas, likely the Bucs (6), potentially the Colts (7, and depending on Eason, I guess?), and maybe the Steelers (8). Wouldn't put it past the Saints, either, depending on how they feel about Hill.

That's 8 not even counting the longer shots I listed. It'll be an interesting QB carousel year, for sure.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Dec 2020 14:09
I feel like there are 5-6 top-40 QBs in the draft this year but there are like ten teams who need new QBs either this year or next year.

The Patriots need to find their next guy, whether they trade for Stafford or not.

But the Jets(1), Jaguars (2), Bears (3), poossibly the Panthers, possibly the Falcons (4), mmaaaybe the Broncos, definitely WFT (5), the Lions longer term?, maaaaybe the 49ers, outside chance of Vegas, likely the Bucs (6), potentially the Colts (7, and depending on Eason, I guess?), and maybe the Steelers (8). Wouldn't put it past the Saints, either, depending on how they feel about Hill.

That's 8 not even counting the longer shots I listed. It'll be an interesting QB carousel year, for sure.
I've thought about this a lot too actually.

Teams that are locks to do something at QB (Includes signing Dak/Brady/Rivers/Brissett)

Jets, Jaguars, Cowboys, Patriots, Buccaneers, Colts

Teams who really really should do something
Washington, Saints

Teams who should
49ers, Bears,

Chances of
Dolphins, Steelers, Giants, Broncos, Eagles, Lions

And I doubt Carolina is sold on Teddy Bridgewater, but I think he'll be back and the starter. However I would not rule them out of taking a QB with maybe a top 5-10 pick.

That is 16 teams, for those 16 teams there, is the lot of:
Dak Prescott
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Philip Rivers

Roethlisberger will stay in Pitt, but they need a youth option.

If Stafford is moved, just replace that team with the Lions

Taysom Hill, Jimmy Garoppolo, Nick Foles, Carson Wentz, Alex Smith all the iffy vets that are already under contract who likely aren't good enough to get their teams a SB victory (funny with Super Bowl QB's on that list, but you know)

Drew Lock, Daniel Jones, Sam Darnold do not appear to be the answers and wouldn't find another starting job, but may be back with their current teams.

There are I think 4 potential QBs in the draft, could be as high as 6, but doubtful.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, I think it's a good year to get a lot of "need a youth option behind our aging starter or veteran mediocrity" teams, but then again, less teams make that move than I usually predict, anyway.... which is why it's often available for the Packers to do so.

I can't imagine the Pats go past round 2 without a QB having a high pick this year. That BYU kid might be perfect for them, or Mac Jones, actually, with the Saban-Belichick pipeline

I think 6 will go in the top 50, just not sure how many will be before/after 32.

But a lot of the teams with aging starters who will stick with the team (Stafford, Alex Smith, Roethlisberger) will likely take someone young and keep the vet, forcing more moves down the chain of QB-needy teams.

If we get a full preseason, we might even be able to throw Tim Boyle to someone for some compensation 8-)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Gave a little musical chairs game here.

Crazy what Brees, Brady, Rivers and Roethliberger can do if they all retire within a year or two together.

2021 QBs (Draft Pick) QB's
Jets (1) Trevor Lawrence - Sam Darnold
Jaguars (2) Justin Fields
Cowboys (4) Dak Prescott
Patriots (15) Matt Stafford
Buccaneers (21) Tom Brady
Colts (23) Philip Rivers
Football Team (11) Jordan Love - Trade their Pick 11, 3rd, and 2022 2nd to the Packers for Love =)
Saints (31) Taysom Hill - Mac Jones
49ers (14) Garoppolo
Bears (13) Zach Wilson - I think they make a big trade up, whoever gets Wilson, around picks 5-8
Steelers (32) Ben Roesthlisberger - Kyle Trask
Giants (19) Daniel Jones
Broncos (10) Drew Lock
Eagles (6) Wentz - Hurts
Lions (12) Trey Lance - I think they trade up to get him with the extra picks from New England
Panthers (7) Teddy Bridgewater

* Drew Brees Retires

Somewhat interesting, really no one "needs" a QB around picks 5-10 where you would expect Lance and Wilson to go. Maybe the Panthers, Eagles or Broncos, but I think we'll be seeing those teams in the teens trading up. Really almost think the Bears gotta be one. Just no way they can win with Nick Foles, little cap space, gotta try to be a little aggressive with the D still having the elite ability it has.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
11 Dec 2020 15:10
Gave a little musical chairs game here.

Crazy what Brees, Brady, Rivers and Roethliberger can do if they all retire within a year or two together.

2021 QBs (Draft Pick) QB's
Jets (1) Trevor Lawrence - Sam Darnold
Jaguars (2) Justin Fields
Cowboys (4) Dak Prescott
Patriots (15) Matt Stafford
Buccaneers (21) Tom Brady
Colts (23) Philip Rivers
Football Team (11) Jordan Love - Trade their Pick 11, 3rd, and 2022 2nd to the Packers for Love =)
Saints (31) Taysom Hill - Mac Jones
49ers (14) Garoppolo
Bears (13) Zach Wilson - I think they make a big trade up, whoever gets Wilson, around picks 5-8
Steelers (32) Ben Roesthlisberger - Kyle Trask
Giants (19) Daniel Jones
Broncos (10) Drew Lock
Eagles (6) Wentz - Hurts
Lions (12) Trey Lance - I think they trade up to get him with the extra picks from New England
Panthers (7) Teddy Bridgewater

* Drew Brees Retires

Somewhat interesting, really no one "needs" a QB around picks 5-10 where you would expect Lance and Wilson to go. Maybe the Panthers, Eagles or Broncos, but I think we'll be seeing those teams in the teens trading up. Really almost think the Bears gotta be one. Just no way they can win with Nick Foles, little cap space, gotta try to be a little aggressive with the D still having the elite ability it has.
If the Packers somehow finesse a team for a pick better than what they used for Love than itll be a terrific move by Gutey.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Dec 2020 16:26
If the Packers somehow finesse a team for a pick better than what they used for Love than itll be a terrific move by Gutey.
Will it? You can almost always trade your pick for a future pick at a premium. What was he, pick 26? That should have been worth a future 1 and maybe a 3rd? Maybe a 4th?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I know that post was not a prediction. But the Packers are not trading Jordan Love to anyone this offseason, period.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
11 Dec 2020 16:34
lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Dec 2020 16:26
Will it? You can almost always trade your pick for a future pick at a premium. What was he, pick 26? That should have been worth a future 1 and maybe a 3rd? Maybe a 4th?
You can always trade the pick at a premium. You can rarely trade the player already selected at a premium.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Dec 2020 16:39
I know that post was not a prediction. But the Packers are not trading Jordan Love to anyone this offseason, period.
Oh yeah I know it was a prediction. No one in their right mind would trade a 1st for love at this point. Let alone a too 16 pick.

At the same time no ones in their right kind would trade a 1st for Favre either and that worked out in some weird universe.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
No way we get offered 11, a 3rd and a 2022 2nd for him, because nothing could have changed on his reputation or whatever, but I take that in heartbeat. :)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Sounds like there is hope Drew Brees will be a go vs Kansas City next week.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
11 Dec 2020 23:55
YoHoChecko wrote:
No way we get offered 11, a 3rd and a 2022 2nd for him, because nothing could have changed on his reputation or whatever, but I take that in heartbeat. :)
I'd take just a second for him at this point. I'm still a bit chapped about that pick.

Damn I hope he proves me wrong.
RIP JustJeff

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I would have no problem if in a meaningless Week 17 game Jordan Love got showcased for a half in an attempt to create trade value. Rodgers looks like he can play into his 40s right now.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Sterling Sharpe, Gale Gillingham and Leroy Butler should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame :bkw: