Post Season Awards

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post Season Awards

Post by BF004 »

I always like to talk about this.

MVP - Currently a two horse race between Aaron and Patrick. Although with 4 weeks to go, isn't unthinkable for someone else to jump back in the discussion, this thing was apparently over 4 weeks ago for Russell.

Coach of the Year - Really only seen 3 names mentioned. Tomlin, Stefanksi and Flores. I don't know how LaFleur isn't even in the conversation either year. I also really think Sean Payton should be getting some love, but veteran coaches like him really never get mentioned either. I don't know how the narrative gets set on this award, but it always does.

Offensive Player of the Year - I think this is likely Dalvin Cook. Davante is getting a little recognition. Alvin Kamara, Derrick Henry, DK Metcalf, Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce should all get some love too.

Defensive Player of the Year - I think currently its Aaron Donald. TJ Watt and Myles Garrett only other two I've seen. Clear this has becoming more and more of a sack award.

Offensive Rookie of the Year - Justin Herbert, Justin Jefferson I think are your two. Chase Claypool and Antonio Gipson probably still have a little chance for a late push.

Defensive Rookie of the Year - Chase Young seems like the year long favorite. Jeremy Chinn still within striking distance. Patrick Queen gets mentioned, has a few fancy stats, but is having an awful year.

Pro Bowl / All Pro
For the Packers
Locks: Aaron Rodgers, David Bakhtiari, Davante Adams - Not much more to say, all have the name recognition, all playing amazing, all on the NFL's #1 offense.

Maybe: Aaron Jones, Corey Linsley, Robert Tonyan - I think Linsley was in pre-injury, we'll see how this plays out, maybe he comes back before the playoffs and gets a few more starts in.

Aaron Jones is kind of tough, Dalvin Cook only for sure lock in the NFC. I would guess just Zeke and Kamara based off name and bulk numbers, Ronald Jones 2nd in yards, and Antonio Gipson 2nd in TD's, so either of them could squeek in as well. I'm going to guess no for Jones.

I am going to say yes for Big Bob, currently at 8 TD's, next in the NFC are TJ Hockenson and former Packers Jared Cook and Jimmy Graham with 5 and Tonyan has 150 yard more than either of them, although Hockenson has more yards. Tonyan also 4th in TE yards in the NFC behind Hockenson, Evan Engram and Gronk. Gronk does have 4 TDs, but Engram only has 1. Just see no way he doesn't get it.

Outside Shot/Possible Replacement: Billy Turner, Eglton Jenkins - Think that is it. No other WR, TE, OL or RB has a shot. Both are getting near deserving, but we'll see how it all plays out there.

So offense, I am giving yes's to Aaron, Davante, Bak and Tonyan

On Defense
Likely: Jaire Alexander, ZaDarius Smith - I think Jaire has gotten the recognition early on with the good PFF grades and had some noteworthy performances in the national spotlight early in the season that are still in people's minds and he did nothing to lose that top spot. ZaDarius is 2nd in the NFC in sacks tied with DE Trey Hendrickson. For listed LB, the sacks go Z 10.5, JPP, 8.5, Leonard Williams 8.5, Khalil Mack 6.5. Z also has 3 FF, tied with JPP for the most and 2 FR, which is the most out of that group. He got the recognition last year and is backing it up. I really don't see how he doesn't make it.

Outside Shots: Kenny Clark, Darnell Savage - Kenny just by name and being on a good team. Don't think it would be deserving, but that is how the probowl works. Darnell with the 3 picks is starting to get a good deal of national talk as well. Only Harrison Smith and Quandre Diggs have more NFC interceptions for safeties with 4.

So on defense, I am giving yes's to ZaDarius and Jaire

Total locks, Aaron, Davante, Bak, Tonyan and ZaDarius, I would give about a 50/50 shot for Jaire and/or Linsley. So that is 5 minimum by my count, maybe up to 7 on initial vote. There is no pro-bowl this year, so there will not be replacements, but I could have seen Jones, Clark, Savage, Turner and Jenkins all maybe eventual replacements in a normal year.

For All-Pro, Maybe just looking at Aaron, Davante and Bak, maybe ZaDarius on 2nd team. As it stands now, but definitely see those first 3 on there on 1st or 2nd team pretty much no matter what right now, Z might still have to earn that spot down the stretch.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

MVP - Probably between Mahomes and Rodgers. But I wouldn't doubt if Josh Allen steals a few votes.
Coach - I'm guessing Stefanski is in the lead with Flores next. LaFleur certainly should be in the convo, but will fade back due to Rodgers.
OPOY - Cook and Henry seem like good bets. That and whoever loses MVP.
DPOY - Should be Donald, probably will be. I'd like Z and Jaire to get some love, but they won't.
OROY - QB's get awards so Herbert. But Justin Jefferson should be right there.
DROY - again, I agree with BF on these. I think it's Young's right now.
Executive - Brandon Beane probably gets this with Buffalo. Gutey should get some love too, but won't.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If we don’t win the Super Bowl this year, it will be tough in hindsight to make an argument for Gute. To be this close to the Super Bowl and getting essentially 0 production from rounds 1-4 would be tough to defend.

They all might be the right moves long term, but for a 2020 award, no dice.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'd like to have a more in depth back-and-forth here, but I just almost entirely 100% agree with the original post, so... :clap: :aok:

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

If I can increase my volume and quantity as we make our playoff run, I should be in the conversation for Comeback Poster of the Year.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
11 Dec 2020 14:48
If I can increase my volume and quantity as we make our playoff run, I should be in the conversation for Comeback Poster of the Year.
Volume stats are usually how these things are won, so you better up your game! :beer2:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Dec 2020 15:03
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
11 Dec 2020 14:48
Volume stats are usually how these things are won, so you better up your game! :beer2:
You did fall into 3rd place for posts, better pick it up.

I am killing it Lombardi's with 535, go pack go in a very distant 2nd with 375. :lol:

app.php/reactions

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yikes, my lombardi react per post ratio is awfully low

I guess I should consider that maybe I suck :shock:

:mrgreen:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Dec 2020 16:20
Yikes, my lombardi react per post ratio is awfully low

I guess I should consider that maybe I suck :shock:

:mrgreen:
Nah, you’re seeing the Sean Payton effect. Consistent quality becomes the expectation which then gets overlooked. :aok:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Mahomes not helping his MVP stats with those 3 ints.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
13 Dec 2020 15:02
Mahomes not helping his MVP stats with those 3 ints.
Yeah, the narrative of a 3-TO Mahomes (he also took a sack for a 30-yard loss that will hit all the highlight packages) PLUS a Rodgers division-winning, turnover-free performance might win the award at this point in the season.

Though the Chiefs are going to win the game and they scored 30, so it won't be a suuuper strong pullback

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Rodgers now completely to lose.

Just don’t drop an egg and it’s his.

Give me 6 more TDs and 1 pick as the floor, and it’s his.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
13 Dec 2020 19:58
Rodgers now completely to lose.

Just don’t drop an egg and it’s his.

Give me 6 more TDs and 1 pick as the floor, and it’s his.
Give me 11... he's never hit 50. Completely doable, too.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Mahomes still the betting favorite for MVP. Where do I go to put money on Rodgers?
RIP JustJeff

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Henry could hit 2,000, which would give him at least OPOY.

Xavien Howard has 9 INT's already....... Has to be in convo for DPOY.

I agree, I think if it ended right now Rodgers should be MVP, but my vote is through green and gold glasses. The people love Mahomes.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

As far as Mahomes vs. Rodgers....

like...

ok, so the Chiefs and the Packers are both conference 1-seeds, and their QBs are running neck-and-neck for the MVP award. Let's look at the numbers!

Rodgers has
- more TDs
- fewer INTs
- a higher passer rating
- a higher QBR (barely)
- taken fewer sacks for fewer yards
- a higher completion percentage

Mahomes has:
- more yards
- more yards/attempt
- a better supporting cast

:dunno:

Doesn't look that close to me right now.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Dec 2020 09:01
As far as Mahomes vs. Rodgers....

like...

ok, so the Chiefs and the Packers are both conference 1-seeds, and their QBs are running neck-and-neck for the MVP award. Let's look at the numbers!

Rodgers has
- more TDs
- fewer INTs
- a higher passer rating
- a higher QBR (barely)
- taken fewer sacks for fewer yards
- a higher completion percentage

Mahomes has:
- more yards
- more yards/attempt
- a better supporting cast

:dunno:

Doesn't look that close to me right now.
National media hates Rodgers. There is your tie breaker.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

paco wrote:
14 Dec 2020 08:48
Mahomes still the betting favorite for MVP. Where do I go to put money on Rodgers?
Mahomes is the new hotness, the flashy new toy. If this was put up to the fans, AR wouldn't stand a chance. Luckily it's not. I hope the sportswriters voting for it appreciate AR more - what he's done with this offense is remarkable, especially considering no 1st round receiver. ;)

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

And in the off chance that Wilson comes back into the conversation...

Rodgers has 3 more TD passes than Wilson.
Wilson has 3 times more INTs than Rodgers.